PDA

View Full Version : TVtropes bores me.

Beholder1995
2008-08-25, 06:02 PM
Honestly- TVtropes just isn't very addictive to me. What I've gathered, however, is that it should be. I can only go through about half an article before I just get bored.

Is there something wrong with me? :smallconfused::smalleek::smalltongue:

Spiryt
2008-08-25, 06:04 PM
Well, I can't say it's so boring, but indeed I don't get the whole fuzz about it.

It's sometimes funny, often very accurate, often contains bizzare tropes ideas based mainly around some anime.

Nice, but that's all.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-25, 06:05 PM
Honestly- TVtropes just isn't very addictive to me. What I've gathered, however, is that it should be. I can only go through about half an article before I just get bored.

No. So don't worry about it.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-25, 06:08 PM
I can see one of these options:
1. You aren't familiar with enough shows/movies/games/books for TV Tropes to be amusing for you. At least half the fun comes from seeing stuff you're familiar with listed as examples with funny commentary.
2. You lack attention span to read it all.
3. You're immune to TV Tropes' addictive qualities. Be happy, your life won't be ruined.

But what kind of a life is that?

Pyrian
2008-08-25, 06:18 PM
Different people have different tastes. You'd think people on a board devoted largely to D&D stick figures would understand that.

Ashtar
2008-08-25, 06:19 PM
It's also possible you are allergic to the "spoilered" text in white which makes reading more than a few sentences a pain.

I'm always looking for a "Show all spoilers" option to make it more comfortable to read.

Apart from that, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Rawhide
2008-08-25, 06:24 PM
I'm always looking for a "Show all spoilers" option to make it more comfortable to read.

Ctrl - A

Sneak
2008-08-25, 06:27 PM

If you count "not being like me" as something wrong with you, then yes, there is. :smalltongue:

But it's just my nature. Not only on TVtropes—even Wikipedia can keep me stuck for hours. I'm just naturally curious, and I like to know about things. It's not really anything specific to TVtropes, it's just what I do with online databases (open lots and lots and lots of tabs).

Beholder1995
2008-08-25, 07:03 PM
If you count "not being like me" as something wrong with you, then yes, there is. :smalltongue:

But it's just my nature. Not only on TVtropes—even Wikipedia can keep me stuck for hours. I'm just naturally curious, and I like to know about things. It's not really anything specific to TVtropes, it's just what I do with online databases (open lots and lots and lots of tabs).

What's interesting, though, is that Wikipedia really sucks me in, too.

TVtropes just doesn't do that for me... and I consider myself reasonably media-savvy.

LordVader
2008-08-25, 07:06 PM
TvTropes is very funny, usually, but it can be overdone, and I've noticed a tendancy to do so sometimes on these boards.

You may just be immune to that sort of humor, in which case nothing is wrong with you, or you haven't been reading the really funny ones.

Beholder1995
2008-08-25, 07:08 PM
Of course, I realize there's nothing wrong with me- I was mostly joking in the first post.

I was just under the impression I was missing something- after all, I recall a board member who worshipped TVtropes as a god. :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-25, 07:32 PM
I was just under the impression I was missing something- after all, I recall a board member who worshipped TVtropes as a god. :smalltongue:

Does TVTropes grant spells?

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-25, 07:36 PM
Ctrl-A

:smalltongue:

Sneak
2008-08-25, 07:39 PM
Ctrl-A

:smalltongue:

Ctrl - A

My work here is done. :smalltongue:

What's interesting, though, is that Wikipedia really sucks me in, too.

TVtropes just doesn't do that for me... and I consider myself reasonably media-savvy.

Hmm. Well, I dunno, then. I guess there really is something wrong with you. :smalltongue:

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-25, 07:40 PM
Beaten to that by Rawhide.

TVtropes doesn't have any clerics, but it does have worshippers.

psycojester
2008-08-25, 08:15 PM
Personally i think too many of the articles on tvtropes are being written by pendantic anime fans whom seem more interested in compiling a vast last of every single anime in which the trope has occoured than writing something interesting or informative.

Setra
2008-08-25, 08:24 PM
To me it's not interesting.. until I find what I call a "trope reaction".. a bunch of tropes that link to eachother and each one is at least mildly interesting..

Certain entries don't interest me as much (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RousseauWasRight), whilst others (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming) suck me in (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrowningMomentOfAwesome)

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-25, 08:29 PM
Whats a TVtropes?

DBear
2008-08-25, 08:43 PM
It's whatever you're interested in. Movies and TV interest me, along with OotS. Anime, on the other hand, might as well be written in Japanese.

Oh wait...:smalltongue:

Occasional Sage
2008-08-25, 08:48 PM
I can see one of these options:
1. You aren't familiar with enough shows/movies/games/books for TV Tropes to be amusing for you. At least half the fun comes from seeing stuff you're familiar with listed as examples with funny commentary.
2. You lack attention span to read it all.
3. You're immune to TV Tropes' addictive qualities. Be happy, your life won't be ruined.

But what kind of a life is that?
Hmm. Biased much? I know plenty of things to which the tropes can be applied, and have plenty of attention span. I think a lot of the lack of appeal ties to

Personally i think too many of the articles on tvtropes are being written by pendantic anime fans whom seem more interested in compiling a vast last of every single anime in which the trope has occoured than writing something interesting or informative.

OK here we have a problem, but at its root the site's issue is broader than this. I care very little for anime, but would be OK with that if not for the fact that most of the contributors to TVTropes don't write very well. If they were interesting and engaging writers, I'd stick around.

ETA:

Whats a TVtropes?
Follow Serta's links.

Haruki-kun
2008-08-25, 09:42 PM
Try out Uncyclopedia (http://uncyclopedia.org), maybe that one will suck you in.

Setra
2008-08-25, 09:43 PM
Follow Serta's links.
I'm a mattress :smallbiggrin:
Really that made me giggle uncontrollably for some reason.

Nevrmore
2008-08-25, 10:28 PM
Well, I can't say it's so boring, but indeed I don't get the whole fuzz about it.

It's sometimes funny, often very accurate, often contains bizzare tropes ideas based mainly around some anime.

Nice, but that's all.
Yes. Exactly this.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-08-25, 10:32 PM
Eh, I'm neither here nor there when it comes to TVtropes. The only time I go to the site is when someone links to it, and sometimes I absolutely love the tropes and get really sucked in, reading trope after trope, but more and more it seems like I read partway through a trope, find it boring and/or badly written and/or waaay too specific, and then stop reading that trope and look for another.

Prophaniti
2008-08-25, 10:55 PM
Does TVTropes grant spells?Hey, if that giant crab abomination that was running around for a while grants spells, it stands to reason that TVTropes does too, probably more and better ones.

chiasaur11
2008-08-25, 11:25 PM
Hey, if that giant crab abomination that was running around for a while grants spells, it stands to reason that TVTropes does too, probably more and better ones.

It grants cure moderate wounds.

Unforunately, you need to be 8th level.

At third level, you get raise thread.

Nychta
2008-08-25, 11:28 PM
@ the OP: I don't think you have to like it. I don't like it much; I find it stupid and unintelligible in parts, but there are some awesome (and accurate) tropes on there. I prefer wikiHow by a mile.

Vonriel
2008-08-25, 11:44 PM
One of my favorites is this one (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsACheatingBastard). :smallbiggrin: It all comes down to which ones you find, I think.

ocato
2008-08-26, 12:34 AM
It's interesting, sometimes. My main frustration is when you read a trope and it is explicitly explained in how it relates or differs from X other trope that you then have to go read in order to have any idea what the first one is. So you're trying to read a post of someone's, they skip posting to just link that site, and you're there for an hour trying to figure out what the guy was trying to say.

Honestly, I wish people would just say "heh, that looks like a case of something specifically done to make a player buy a Game guide" instead of just linking guide-dangit.

Extra points for anyone who notices I once did just that, just to later realize I hated the trend. I shall now repent with... HARRY CAREY! HOLY COW!

Calvin33
2008-08-26, 01:18 AM

Don't worry

It's bores me to, I thought it was petty strange:smallsigh:

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-26, 01:28 AM
What usually do the trick is pick up a popular media show that you are in love with, and do a research about it. I'd say the best description evar is Warhammer 40K

Innis Cabal
2008-08-26, 01:31 AM
i cringe when people use it on any forum. It just....ugh.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-26, 01:47 AM
Eh, I'm neither here nor there when it comes to TVtropes. The only time I go to the site is when someone links to it, and sometimes I absolutely love the tropes and get really sucked in, reading trope after trope, but more and more it seems like I read partway through a trope, find it boring and/or badly written and/or waaay too specific, and then stop reading that trope and look for another.

Best description I can imagine. Hit-or-miss, with more misses by far due to poor editing.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-26, 02:53 AM
I followed the links, did some searches and there was a resounding meh.

Glaivemaster
2008-08-26, 06:29 AM
TVTropes is funny sometimes, when it's not being arrogant and up itself. My main problem with it comes from it's overuse, which I see mostly on this forum (and particularly by one or two individuals who I won't name). It should be said that when discussing media it is not necessary to create all of one's sentences purely out of TV Tropes links, nor does everything one says have to mention a trope in some form or another. It feels forced and does nothing to add to any conversation whenever I've seen it used, or at least nothing that could be much better summed up and written in a couple of sentences rather than a vague link

Paragon Badger
2008-08-26, 06:43 AM
It's interesting, sometimes. My main frustration is when you read a trope and it is explicitly explained in how it relates or differs from X other trope that you then have to go read in order to have any idea what the first one is. So you're trying to read a post of someone's, they skip posting to just link that site, and you're there for an hour trying to figure out what the guy was trying to say.

Honestly, I wish people would just say "heh, that looks like a case of something specifically done to make a player buy a Game guide" instead of just linking guide-dangit.

Extra points for anyone who notices I once did just that, just to later realize I hated the trend. I shall now repent with... HARRY CAREY! HOLY COW!

I usually just write out my trope-laden sentences with links like this one (www.fakelink.com) so they are understandable in their own context, and the trope links are an added bonus to anyone who recognizes them off-hand. :smalltongue:

Rare Pink Leech
2008-08-26, 10:50 AM
I'd like to add to my previous response: I think that when TVtropes is good, it is really good. There are some tropes that are really useful, are well-written, and quite funny. It's just too bad that there are too many tropes that are poorly written/edited (always a danger on a wiki site) and just not relevant or useful enough. I think the best thing for TVtropes would be to cull many of the tropes.

Dode
2008-08-30, 05:53 AM
hmmm in the 1960's Spider-Man, Peter Parker's father was dead before the series even started. And I noticed this... "trope" arise yet again in Mad Men with the protagonist Don Draper's father being similarly dead.

Time to start an article to impart the hilarious and well-reasoned information of this trope I discovered, which I call "YoDaddyIsDead".

Rawhide
2008-08-30, 06:21 AM
hmmm in the 1960's Spider-Man, Peter Parker's father was dead before the series even started. And I noticed this... "trope" arise yet again in Mad Men with the protagonist Don Draper's father being similarly dead.

Time to start an article to impart the hilarious and well-reasoned information of this trope I discovered, which I call "YoDaddyIsDead".

It already exists. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ParentalAbandonment)

Dode
2008-08-30, 03:54 PM
http://kevinchiu.org/emote/facepalm.jpg

chiasaur11
2008-08-30, 10:46 PM
http://kevinchiu.org/emote/facepalm.jpg

Are you facepalming... yourself?

If so, good job at realizing your own mistakes.

Emperor Ing
2008-08-31, 06:09 AM
It's not that it bores me, I think it's very interesting.
It's just that i'm so damn SICK of it!

Nowadays, it seems what whenever anyone seems to unintentionally recite the title of 1 of 1,000,000 things listed on that godsforsaken site, they have to search and link to it. As if they copy and paste their entire post to the search query, and post everything that comes up! :smallfurious: