PDA

View Full Version : The teddy bear races! (And two gods) (3.5)

Gamerlord
2008-08-25, 08:55 PM
I made two races that both are basically living teddy bears and There two gods.

Urso
The Urso are a race of guardians, warriors and master of the divine, they are more then ready to come to the aid of a ally and to stand firm against the face of evil in battle.

Personality: Urso are selfless, they are kind but they also are vicious opponents when in a fight. Some accuse them as being naive but Teddy bears are in fact quite aware and know evil when they see it.

Physical Description: Male Urso are usually as tall as a gnome male and weigh as much as a dwarf while females are as just as tall but weigh about the same as halfings, Male fur is pretty much any color(except complete black) and female is pretty much the same but it is usually a bright color like pink. Instead of skin and hair Urso have fur all over them.
Urso are infants for 20 years, children become teenagers at 70 and adults at 100, they become elders at 300 and usually end up dying at age 500.

Relations:Urso are good friends with dwarves and elves and try their best to end any hostility's between the two races as quickly as possible, they are good friends with halfings and gnomes as well, they absolutely hate Shadow Urso and Demons and all residents of the plane of shadow. They are neutral with all other races mostly unless they are attacked or the race clearly shows its majority as evil (and even then they give all members of the race a chance of redemption).

Alignment: Urso greatly favor good and usually are neutral good or chaotic good (there is no bad feelings towards Lawful ones though). Evil ones are EXTERMALLY rare and the worst a Teddy Bear will usually be is chaotic neutral.

Teddy Bear lands: Urso prefer no sort of terrain and are willing to live anywhere, monarchy's are usually the chosen government of them and they prefer Trading wool when they live in plains via breeding sheep and trade rocks and minerals when they live in mountains and fruit when they live in forests etc.

Religion: Urso praise ecouter as their patron god. He is their creator and showed them divine magic and expects them to do their best to drive the Shadow Bears into extinction and work towards destroying the abyss as well.

Language: Urso speak common but try to learn Celestial as soon as possible as well as dwarven and elven.

Names:Teddy Bear names vary greatly and in fact Teddy Bears are often named in a variety of languages.

Adventurers:Teddy Bear adventurers usually seek adventure because of curiosity, a goal, or just because they want to do the right thing.

TEDDY BEAR RACIAL TRAITS
Small:Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
Base land speed is 6 squares
+2 to one ability score of choice and -2 to one ability score of choice
Dark vision up to 60 feet
Automatic: Common. Bonus Languages: Celestial, elven, dwarven, Elven, Draconic, Gnoll, Orc
+2 on diplomacy checks with dwarves,elves, halfings and gnomes
-6 on diplomacy checks with shadow bears and all evil characters
Get alertness and acrobat as bonus feats
+2 on saves against poison and all mind affecting spells
+2 on all attack and damage rolls when fighting demons or shadow bears
+1 on save DC for divine spells
+1 dodge bonus when fighting shadow bears or demons
Favored class:any

And now their god!

Ecouter
Ecouter, god of the Urso is neutral good. He is sometimes called the warlord by orcs and goblinoids, the bearwatcher by elves and those who dwell in the forests, and mockingly referred to by shadow bears and demons as "The one who we pity" or "The weakling" and dwarves call him ironkeeper. Ecouter is the twin brother and sworn enemey of vouer. His favored weapon is the greatsword and his domains are good,healing, Knowledge and war.

And now the Shadow Bears!

SHADOW Urso

Personality: Shadow Urso are cruel, selfish vicious and lieing villains who care only for themselves. They usually have quite the egos and are very strict.

Physical DescriptionSame as Urso, Except they always have a fur color of complete black.

Relations: Shadow Urso are excellent allies with demons and drow and usually form alliances with them. They hate Urso and seek to kill them all.

Alignment: Shadow Bears are without a doubt, evil. The best they usually become is true neutral and then they are hunted by the evil ones due to their "betrayal"

Shadow Bear Lands Shadow Urso live in mountains. They usally have tyranny as their government.

Religion: Shadow elves Serve vouer until they die.

Language:Shadow bears speak common but learn abyssal as soon as possible.

Names: Shadow Bears choose names from all sorts of launguages.

Adventures: Shadow Bears adventure for greed,power or just plain doing evil stuff.

SHADOW BEAR RACIAL TRAITS
Small:Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
Base land speed is 6 squares
+2 to one ability score of choice and -2 to one ability score of choice
Dark vision up to 60 feet
Shadow Bear dark vision can work in magical darkness
Shadow Bear Get +2 on diplomacy checks with evil creatures and +1 one on animal empathy checks with evil animals
-6 on diplomacy checks with good creatures
+3 on attack rolls against Teddy Bears and all celestials
+2 on damage rolls against Teddy Bears and celestials
Languages: Common, Bonus languages: abyssal, orc, gnoll, goblin, undercommon, infernal, ignan
+1 dodge AC when fighting Teddy Bears and celestials

And now THEIR god:

vouer
Evil god of the Shadow Bears, Vouer is Lawful evil. He is called the anhillilator by orcs and goblinoids, rottenwood by elves, the dishonerer by dwarves, and is referred to by celestials and Teddy Bears as "Wormborn" and "He of evil".
He is the twin brother of Ecouter and sworn foe of him. His favored weapon is the greataxe. His domains include evil,law,fire and war.

Lappy9000
2008-08-25, 09:06 PM
EWOKS! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo......

*falls into Endor-based pit trap*

What type are these guys?

Grey Watcher
2008-08-26, 12:49 AM
Now, y'see, my first thought was the Care Bears, but I suppose those would be Outsiders, wouldn't they?

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 05:56 AM
Well Teddy Bears are humanoids but Shadow Bear are outsider

Tengu_temp
2008-08-26, 06:08 AM
No ability score changes? Small races usually have -2 strength and +2 dexterity.

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 07:02 AM
No ability score changes? Small races usually have -2 strength and +2 dexterity.
"+2 to one ability score of choice and -2 to one ability score of choice"
You were saying? :smallamused:

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 09:07 AM
So your opiouns on this?
Are they overpowered? underpowered?

DracoDei
2008-08-26, 09:20 AM
Needs more fluff... and calling them "Teddy Bears" in the actual post is just asking to be ignored...

Tengu_temp
2008-08-26, 09:28 AM
"+2 to one ability score of choice and -2 to one ability score of choice"
You were saying? :smallamused:

Ah, I must've missed that.

Overpowered. They're awesome for all classes, and the bonuses to fighting demons always are good. I can't find a better LA +0 race without getting into the realm of Lesser Tieflings/Aasimars and Shadow Gnomes. And fluff-wise, they're too perfect, a whole race of Mary Sues.

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 09:53 AM
Well right now i am working on both races history, and i dont think shadow bears are mary sues.

EDIT: Wow, making a races history is hard when you consider it could be used by all sorts of campaigns with different histories....

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 09:56 AM
Needs more fluff... and calling them "Teddy Bears" in the actual post is just asking to be ignored...
Well i choudn't figure out a name so i picked "Teddy Bear"

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 11:35 AM
Anyone got any ideas for a name?

Faithless
2008-08-26, 01:48 PM
Raeb Yddet

Debihuman
2008-08-26, 02:30 PM
Oh, just call them Teddy bearsand don't let other people's prejudices get in the way.

BTW, ewoks were offically statted up in the Star Wars Revised Core Rulebook for the D20 system.

If you feel that you must change the name call them Urso.

Debby

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 03:21 PM
Well i guess Teddy Bear is the best name.

Gamerlord
2008-08-26, 04:33 PM
So is it a good idea to give them LA +1?

Gamerlord
2008-08-27, 10:40 AM
well in my campaign world this is how the teddy bears were made...

During the war of elements where the elemental gods waged war by making new races to fight for them, the youngest one, the arcane elemental god, was trying his best to stay out of the war, soon he learned that this fighting was attracting the shadow beasts of the forgotten plane(which was made by the shadow god, the first of all of them,and the oldest) which could destroy the entire matreial plane if the war continued. So in order to stop the war he began forging a race of beings, he gave them the agility of halfings, strength of dwarves, the knowledge of arcane from elves, and he himself gave them their power over the divine. Then he convinced a group of dwarves to turn against the master of dwarves,the elemental lord of earth. They forged many magic weapons for the Teddy Bears and told the Teddy bears the weakness of the elemental gods: they see themselves as the best and consider the only way one wins against them is that the other god that controlled them gave them something special,so they needed to make it seem as thought they had no master, it worked, upon winning so many battles the other gods surrendered and peace reined, but it was too late to stop the shadow beasts
from coming, soon the shadow beasts learned of the power of the teddy Bear and decided to use the corruption of the shadow realm on them, and the elves and dwarves too. soon the Teddy Bear were twisted into hidioues monstrues beasts called Shadow Bears, while only half of the dwarves and elves were transformed into duregaur and drow. Soon the Shadow Bears began wreaking havoc, and the arcane god, who now called himself ecouter was desperate to fix his creations, he figured out a ritual that could split the good and evil in half, it worked, fixing them but still having the shadow bear to deal with,that were worse then ever, the shadow god now called himself vouer and called them back to the shadow realm, and then the great war of shadow and light began.

Gamerlord
2008-08-27, 04:51 PM
Show how does their creation sound?

Gamerlord
2008-08-28, 06:46 AM
I have renamed them Urso Bears and Shadow Ursos repectivally, but some parts of my post still call them their orginal names.

Burley
2008-08-28, 08:09 AM
I suggest you drop the "Bear" in their name. Urso (I assume is a derivative of the Latin 'Urso') draws the image of a bear quite cleary, without adding in the translation.
I really don't think that you need to add the LA. The way I see it: This is a really well balanced class at lower-levels, because the +1 versus X-outsider won't come into play until mid-higher levels, at which point the Plot might not even have X-outsiders anyways.
All in all, I think it's well balanced. I think it'd be a really good NPC race, but kinda poor as a PC race, due to the fluff. I would have fun with the sweet and innocent care bear barbarian who flies into a bloodrage when people are not nice...But, it'd get old after a couple sessions.

However, playing on that had seen war's cruelty and is now like... The Rambo of the Urso... I could get behind that.

Gamerlord
2008-08-28, 10:26 AM
I suggest you drop the "Bear" in their name. Urso (I assume is a derivative of the Latin 'Urso') draws the image of a bear quite cleary, without adding in the translation.
I really don't think that you need to add the LA. The way I see it: This is a really well balanced class at lower-levels, because the +1 versus X-outsider won't come into play until mid-higher levels, at which point the Plot might not even have X-outsiders anyways.
All in all, I think it's well balanced. I think it'd be a really good NPC race, but kinda poor as a PC race, due to the fluff. I would have fun with the sweet and innocent care bear barbarian who flies into a bloodrage when people are not nice...But, it'd get old after a couple sessions.

However, playing on that had seen war's cruelty and is now like... The Rambo of the Urso... I could get behind that.
"The way I see it: This is a really well balanced class at lower-levels"
It is not a class, it is a race. :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2008-08-28, 03:00 PM
I am thinking of also making a prestige class for the urso's. I am thinking of an exact idea.

Burley
2008-08-28, 03:13 PM
"The way I see it: This is a really well balanced class at lower-levels"
It is not a class, it is a race. :smalltongue:

Yeah. My B'. I need to stop posting before coffee. :smallredface:

Gamerlord
2008-08-29, 12:52 PM
Well i thought of a concept for a Urso prestige class, i just need to think of its abilities now...

Gamerlord
2008-08-29, 03:27 PM
Well here it is....

Urso elite guard

The Urso elite guard are a group of elite warriors who have sworn their loyalty to The king, lord acariuous the XV and all who end up taking his place when he buys it.

ITS REQUIREMENTS:
Race: Urso
Alignment: any good
Special: must pledge allegiance to the current king, Must be level 10 or higher
Proficiency: must be proficient in all martial weapons

ITS ABILITIES:

Urso Elite Guard
{table=head]Level| BAB |Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Strength of the King

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|War Cry of Strength

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|—

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Unstoppable Willpower

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|None Shall Pass! [/Table]

ITS POWERS:
Strengh of the king: 3 times a day a urso elite guardian can Call upon the strength of their king to aid them in battle and therefore gain a +4 to strength For 1 round per level(count even the none elite guard levels)

War cry of strength: Just like strength of the king ,except it is gives +2 strengh and affects 1 person besides the urso elite guardian(he is also affected) per level

Unstoppable willpower: five per day a Elite guardian can gain a +20 insight bonus to all will saves for 5 rounds by calling upon the will of ecoutar

NONE SHALL PASS:having trained himself in the art of defence Every time someone attempts to charge the elite Guardian
He gets a free attack of opportunity even if he already had one and gets a +4 to attack and damage rolls for that attack.

Debihuman
2008-08-29, 03:47 PM
You left out BAB for the Urso Elite Guard.

This chart might be helpful (just copy and paste):

Urso Elite Guard

1st|
+x|
+1|
+2|
+1|Strength of the King

2nd|
+x|
+2|
+3|
+2|War Cry of Strength

3rd|
+x|
+2|
+4|
+2|—

4th|
+x|
+3|
+4|
+3|Unstoppable Willpower

5th|
+x|
+4|
+6|
+4|None Shall Pass! [/Table]

I think however your numbers are wrong even though I plugged them in here.

Debby

Gamerlord
2008-08-29, 05:21 PM
You left out BAB for the Urso Elite Guard.

This chart might be helpful (just copy and paste):

Urso Elite Guard

1st|
+x|
+1|
+2|
+1|Strength of the King

2nd|
+x|
+2|
+3|
+2|War Cry of Strength

3rd|
+x|
+2|
+4|
+2|—

4th|
+x|
+3|
+4|
+3|Unstoppable Willpower

5th|
+x|
+4|
+6|
+4|None Shall Pass! [/Table]

I think however your numbers are wrong even though I plugged them in here.

Debby
thank you!

Gamerlord
2008-08-30, 07:24 AM
At the moment i am thinking of making a monster related to the Shadow Ursos.

Debihuman
2008-08-30, 11:53 AM
I knew there was something wrong with the progressions:

The Urso Elite Guard should have good BAB, which you've done correctly; however, their saves are messed up.

Here's how the progression should look:

Good Saves progress: +2, +3, +3, +4, +4
Poor Saves progress: +0, +0, +1, +1, +2

I think you used average BAB in place of the poor Saves, which is incorrect.
There are 3 types of BAB (Poor, Average and Good)but only two types of Saves (Poor and Good). If you try to switch this around, you'll have a PrC that nobody will be able to use.

Since they have the best BAB possible, they should get one good save and two poor ones for balance issues. If you give them good Fort saves then both Reflex and Will should be poor.

Urso Elite Guard

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Strength of the King

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|War Cry of Strength

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|—

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Unstoppable Willpower

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|

I think this is how the Special Abilities should look.

Strength of the King: 3 times a day Urso Elite Guards can call upon the strength of their king to aid them in battle and therefore gain a +4 to strength For 1 round per level (count even the none elite guard levels).

War Cry of Strength: Just like strength of the king, except it is +2 and affects 1 person per level.

Unstoppable Willpower: Once per day an Urso Elite Guard can gain a +20 to all Will saves for 5 rounds.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Strength of the King is fine.

2. Does war cry only affect other people or does it also affect the Urso Elite Guard? I think it should be worded a bit more carefully:

Just like Strength of the King, except the Urso Elite Guard only gains a +2 Str bonus. However, it also affects 1 additional person per Elite Guard level.

3. I'm not crazy about Unstoppable Willpower as written. This should be 5/ day, an Urso Elite Guard can gain a +20 bonus to a Will save. Is this an insight bonus and where does it come from? A little more fluff would be helpful.

Debby

celestialkin
2008-08-30, 12:24 PM
Dude, I freaking LOVE all this. :smallbiggrin:

May I please use these guys for my homebrewed campaign setting? Please?

If so, may I please repost the races, their gods, and the PrC in my campaign world's website? Of course I will reference the creator (you), and link back to this thread under all of it.

These guys just fit my personality, and my setting + gaming style perfectly.

Also, would you be offended if I gave them the fey subtype?

Gamerlord
2008-08-30, 12:48 PM
Dude, I freaking LOVE all this. :smallbiggrin:

May I please use these guys for my homebrewed campaign setting? Please?

If so, may I please repost the races, their gods, and the PrC in my campaign world's website? Of course I will reference the creator (you), and link back to this thread under all of it.

These guys just fit my personality, and my setting + gaming style perfectly.

Also, would you be offended if I gave them the fey subtype?
I would not be offended if you added that subtype and sure you can use them.

Gamerlord
2008-08-30, 12:49 PM
I knew there was something wrong with the progressions:

The Urso Elite Guard should have good BAB, which you've done correctly; however, their saves are messed up.

Here's how the progression should look:

Good Saves progress: +2, +3, +3, +4, +4
Poor Saves progress: +0, +0, +1, +1, +2

I think you used average BAB in place of the poor Saves, which is incorrect.
There are 3 types of BAB (Poor, Average and Good)but only two types of Saves (Poor and Good). If you try to switch this around, you'll have a PrC that nobody will be able to use.

Since they have the best BAB possible, they should get one good save and two poor ones for balance issues. If you give them good Fort saves then both Reflex and Will should be poor.

Urso Elite Guard

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Strength of the King

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|War Cry of Strength

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|—

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Unstoppable Willpower

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|

I think this is how the Special Abilities should look.

Strength of the King: 3 times a day Urso Elite Guards can call upon the strength of their king to aid them in battle and therefore gain a +4 to strength For 1 round per level (count even the none elite guard levels).

War Cry of Strength: Just like strength of the king, except it is +2 and affects 1 person per level.

Unstoppable Willpower: Once per day an Urso Elite Guard can gain a +20 to all Will saves for 5 rounds.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Strength of the King is fine.

2. Does war cry only affect other people or does it also affect the Urso Elite Guard? I think it should be worded a bit more carefully:

Just like Strength of the King, except the Urso Elite Guard only gains a +2 Str bonus. However, it also affects 1 additional person per Elite Guard level.

3. I'm not crazy about Unstoppable Willpower as written. This should be 5/ day, an Urso Elite Guard can gain a +20 bonus to a Will save. Is this an insight bonus and where does it come from? A little more fluff would be helpful.

Debby
thank you i will try that.

celestialkin
2008-08-30, 12:49 PM
I would not be offended if you added that subtype and sure you can use them.

Much appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

I can't wait to see the look on my players' faces.

Plus I get to update my site again, which I enjoy greatly.

Gamerlord
2008-08-30, 12:54 PM
Much appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

I can't wait to see the look on my players' faces.

Plus I get to update my site again, which I enjoy greatly.
Can you send me a PM for a link to the campaign site and also how they reacted to both races when they discover them?

celestialkin
2008-09-12, 09:54 PM
Can you send me a PM for a link to the campaign site and also how they reacted to both races when they discover them?

Sure no problem. I am thinking of putting them up on my site now. I'll send you the link either tonight, or tomorrow if I do. However, I do not want to spoil this little surprise *grins* for them, so I might not put them on until I actually introduce them. I'll let you know their reactions when that happens (probably within the next month. My game runs bi-weekly.). I have a more fun oriented group, so I have a feeling this shoudl be interesting. If I do not put them on the site after this gaming session (I am running tomorrow night) I will probably do so in two weeks. I'll be certain to send you a link to the site once they are up.

Just one thing, have you stated out the domains and portfolios for their gods? I could really use that information.

Anyway, thank you so much for letting me use them. Much appreciated!