PDA

View Full Version : AdvertureQuest

Ethdred
2008-08-26, 06:47 AM
So who thinks the typo in the thread title was a Freudian slip?

Connor Darkdart
2008-08-26, 06:51 AM
It shows that I thought of a accounting game.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-08-26, 07:10 AM
So who plays adventure quest? I am a guardian on AQ. If you have no idea what AQ is: www.battleon.com (http://tinyurl.com/634ubk).

It fun for a day or so but it is hard(or at least it used to be, haven't played for a while) to get into the server and it's frankly not worth the time.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-26, 10:58 AM
Adventure Quest sucks. If for no other reason than the fact that they used a legal loophole to steal the name from AQ Jaern (http://www.aquest.com/AQJAERNdownload.htm), a system that's been around for 30 years and is better in every way than D&D. :smallfurious:

Mastikator
2008-08-26, 11:06 AM
I used to play it when it was still a simple game that you could play on lunch breaks and stuff. But that was many years ago.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-08-26, 11:20 AM
It's a trap!

The gameplay is lame on the free part - you'd be better of playing one of the nifty free MUDs that are out there (Achaea is my favorite, though Iron Realms has some other neat ones). MechQuest is a double-trap.

Conners
2008-08-26, 01:02 PM
....Shouldn't this go in the Media board or something? Not complaining, just wondering.

On topic, I use to play AQ a lot, as well as Dragon Fable, but then I realized: Each fight is almost exactly the same as the last... Exploit element advantage X, wear armour Y, use sword Z, etcetera. To make it worse, the monsters get stronger at the same rate as you it would seem (at least with some places), so that if I can't beat the dungeon of dark then I just can't beat it. Worst of all, I find, is the fact you have to pay gold to level up your stats, THEN you have to succeed a difficult challenge against the trainer on top of losing your cash--I mean, how am I meant to make enough gold to level up my stats as well as buy new equipment form the expensive shops, considering the fact I often earn more EXP than Gold?
I could have ignored all this if the game had a compelling story, but... I liked the Frogzard quests, it gave promise for good jokes and a light-mood for the game. When I played the other quests, though, I found that they were often: Pun -- Character does something to make him look stupid or cowardly -- You fight monsters with pun-names -- Another pun in the cut-scene thereafter -- a different character is stupid or a coward -- You fight more monsters -- Third pun -- You meet the evil king of evil (after fighting several more tedious encounters), who's so stereotypical and pathetic that you can't take him seriously nor care about him and his plot -- HE makes MORE puns -- You fight and win indefinitely or lose by the skin of your teeth -- More puns assault you as the quest comes to an end, and you gain a trivial reward."

Puns and characters acting stupid was fun the first fifty times.... Now, as the count reaches 487, it's the second circle of hell.......

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-08-26, 03:25 PM
Adventure Quest sucks. If for no other reason than the fact that they used a legal loophole to steal the name from AQ Jaern (http://www.aquest.com/AQJAERNdownload.htm), a system that's been around for 30 years and is better in every way than D&D. :smallfurious:

I've downloaded the pdf from your link and although I haven't read much yet I already like it, soulless elves!
I must also note however that the roll for race seems like it could take quite a bit of rolling if you roll halfbreed and keep rolling human(1-14 on a d20).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-26, 03:35 PM
I've downloaded the pdf from your link and although I haven't read much yet I already like it, soulless elves!
I must also note however that the roll for race seems like it could take quite a bit of rolling if you roll halfbreed and keep rolling human(1-14 on a d20).Yes, they did fun stuff to elves. The race can take a while, but it's much faster still than just choosing a class in 3.x.

Artanis
2008-08-26, 04:29 PM
I used to play AQ, and it's really good for a first try by a game maker. But they've added a LOT of stuff that the game just wasn't designed to support, and as such had to be kludged in (I'm looking at you, classes!), which really starts to show the more they put in. And ultimately, I stopped bothering trying to play it when I got fed up with waiting so damn long to get logged in.

I've really been enjoying DragonFable (www.dragonfable.com) though, and even have a Dragon Amulet (DF's equivalent of Guardianship). It takes a lot of what AQ has been trying to do and implements it from the ground up. Stuff like character classes and walkaround quests are fundamental aspects of the game, so unlike AQ, they actually work, and work well. Also, you get to ride a dragon.

MechQuest is...meh. It's not that bad, I guess, but half of it isn't even in yet and the other half is spectacularly unimpressive. It's alright for a change of pace from DF, but that's about it.