PDA

View Full Version : Searching for posts from a certain user

Velvet Elvis
2006-09-28, 01:56 AM
Hi,

I'm having a problem getting proper results when I try to search for all the posts (or a subset of them) by a specific user.

I've tried several things on the search page linked at the top of each page, but I've only gotten either posts whose bodies include the name of the user I'm searching for or no hits at all.

Please tell me how to, for instance, get a list of all of my own posts, globally.

Thanks.

VE

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-28, 02:00 AM
Click on your name as it appears next to posts. Go down to the bottom where it says "Show last _____ posts from this person" select "All" from the drop down list and press go/hit enter

Voila!

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-09-28, 08:50 AM
Click on your name as it appears next to posts. Go down to the bottom where it says "Show last _____ posts from this person" select "All" from the drop down list and press go/hit enter.
You know you'll be in a world of pain if you just want a few posts from a Titan and you go looking for them like that.

Okay, here's how to go about it.

Go to the Search Page.

In the "Search For" box, put in the word or phrase you need to find, and adjust the nearby pull-down menu to whatever setting matches the way you want to search for that phrase.

In the "By User" box, put in the user name of the person whose posts you are searching. And I mean the user name, not the person's screen name. For instance, my current screen name is "Shhalahr Windrider, DM," but my user name is "shhalahr." Roaming Gnome up there has the user name "Dragon_Rider." You can find a person's user name by checking their profile. The user name will be above all the profile information.

In the drop down menu under the "By User" box, select "Search for Topics postid in by someone." This will search every post from a thread in which this user posted. This is as close as you will come to only searching that specific user's posts, but it narrows down the field. A lot.

Then, of course use the checkboxes to specify which forums you want to search, use the Min Age and Max Age posts to give a time frame (for instance, if you're looking for a post that was made about six months ago, use Min Age 140 days and Max Age 220 days), and put in how many results it should look for.

Note that if your searching for posts from a popular thread, you may need to go higher than the default 25 in the "Display How Many Results" box. Though at least one post from that particular thread should show up even on the 25, and you can just go directly to that thread by clicking on the thread title in the search results page.

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-28, 04:22 PM
Please tell me how to, for instance, get a list of all of my own posts, globally.

That's what he asked for and that's what I gave him.

Really, if you search a Titan's posts like that, just open it in a new window and keep it minimized for a few minutes while it loads. You are then free to use your browser's Find option if you're looking for keywords.

I personally find the search engine on the site a bit of a hassle.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-09-28, 05:35 PM
That's what he asked for and that's what I gave him.
Okay. Missed that line. But he also asked about just searching a subset. :P

Really, if you search a Titan's posts like that, just open it in a new window and keep it minimized for a few minutes while it loads.
Tabs, man. Tabs are the way to go. ;)

I personally find the search engine on the site a bit of a hassle.
You can say that again.

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-28, 07:07 PM
Tabs, man. Tabs are the way to go. ;)

Yes, I suggest the use of tabs, especially during character creation for PbP games, makes switching from the OOC post to the SRD to your character sheet that much easier.

HempRope
2006-09-28, 08:10 PM
Yes, I suggest the use of tabs, especially during character creation for PbP games, makes switching from the OOC post to the SRD to your character sheet that much easier.
Dude, that's what tabs were designed for.

Either that, or Facebook...

Velvet Elvis
2006-09-29, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the help, people.

Oddly enough just today I noticed that bit at the bottom of the user profile page. Ain't that always the case? Ask and then notice?

Also, the need for the poster's actual username certainly threw me off.

VE