PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Page Bug

Blood
2006-09-25, 07:12 AM
It's likely that the mods know about this. I am bringing it up to make sure you guys know because I know all us forum-goers don't like it. >:(

When there is 14 posts on a page, it's full. When the 15th post is made in a thread, it goes to the next page. Unfortunately, sometimes when the 15th post is made, it says there's a new post, yet there is no new page (and therefore no post) until one other post comes up.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-09-25, 08:04 AM
Uh, yeah. This has been mentioned before. Several times.

Going theory from RawBear is that it's a race condition. It would be caused by two people posting the 15th post at once, which screws things up with the "new page" algorithm."

Mhina
2006-09-25, 03:54 PM
Sometimes it's hours after the last person posted, though, so I don't think that's the issue...

RawBearNYC
2006-09-25, 04:36 PM
Sometimes it's hours after the last person posted, though, so I don't think that's the issue...
Your logic is flawed, then. Because the issue will remain until the 17th post shows up.

Blood
2006-09-25, 07:58 PM
Your logic is flawed, then. Because the issue will remain until the 17th post shows up.
Seriously. The bug is getting stronger, feeding on our misery! Now it waits for three new posts on the next page before showing any of them.

Wukei
2006-09-26, 11:06 AM
I noticed it happens later in the thread...like in about the 40th page or so...more than it happens in new threads.

RawBearNYC
2006-09-26, 01:28 PM
I noticed it happens later in the thread...like in about the 40th page or so...more than it happens in new threads.

the race condition can occur at any point in a post. But it only matters when a new page is added.

Blood
2006-09-26, 06:11 PM
Are you saying that this bug has no cure, doctor?

Dispozition
2006-09-27, 09:27 AM
the race condition can occur at any point in a post. But it only matters when a new page is added.

From every thing I've seen it happens mainly after page 5. The first new page never does it and until the 5th page, it doesn't happen often. But that's just what I've seen.

Korith
2006-09-27, 11:21 AM
Curious...given the seeming randomness of the occurances, could it be that removing posts upsets the post counter for the thread in the database?

zad101
2006-09-27, 11:48 AM
um im pretty sure this is the same thing
about ten minutes ago i posted a new thread and the main forum page says i did but it doesnt show up when i go into the homebrew section

EDIT: nevermind it fixed itself when i refreshed the page