Average Height: 6’2”-6’8”
Avarage Weight: 300-380 lb

Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Crustacean tongue
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance, +2 Nature
Crustacean Stability: When succeeding on a swim check a lobsterkin may move his/her full speed instead of just one-half his/her speed.
Lobster hands: Lobsterkin may use their hands as melee weapons that deal 1d6 damage. They are considered proficient with their hands and gain a +3 bonus to attack rolls. They may not use it to attack two times in the same turn, unless they have a power that lets him do so. They can still wield other weapons in their hands.
High Fortitude: You have a +1 racial bonus to Fortitude.
Lobster courage: Lobsterkin may use the ability Lobster courage as an encounter power.

Lobster courage Lobsterkin Racial Power
You are infused with the courage of long gone lobster heroes and are perfectly camouflaged in the water.
Encounter
Minor Action Personal
Special: You must be at least partially submerged in water.
Effect: You turn invisible until the start of your next turn.

The lobsterkin are mostly brave warriors native to the swamps. They are mostly nomadic, liking open swampland more than overpopulated cities. They are best described as anthropomorphic lobsters with 2 pair of feet and 1 pair of clawed hands. They have big antennae and small black gazing eyes. They are very religious and some may say paranoid. They see omens of their gods everywhere and believe everything to be part of one big conspiracy against them and the world. Females are darker and bigger. Males are lighter and more slim. Most of them are rangers, rogues or clerics.

Would this be a balanced PC race?

Shades of Gray
2008-08-26, 11:56 AM
Seems cool. I might use these in a campaign.

DracoDei
2008-08-26, 02:07 PM
Is calling something that turns you invisible "courage" intended to be ironic?
Also, does invisibility really work in 4E while partially submerged? Because in 3.5 you have "holes" in the water where your legs are... technically the spell is basically useless underwater in 3.5 IIRC.

Ichneumon
2008-08-26, 02:09 PM
Yes, it is partly ironic.:smalltongue: I am not sure how it works in 4e, but I believe it should work flavourwise. This isn't really a "magical" effect, more a camouflage type of invisibility.

Lappy9000
2008-08-26, 02:45 PM
It's just like in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic1-100806.php).

Yeah, don't wanna spend my money on 4th edition, so I won't be much help on balance issues. (or so that's my excuse about 4ht, anyway)

I would certainly like to see some more fluff, though :smallcool:

Yakk
2008-08-26, 03:08 PM
The courage power is a bad power for a PC. It is far far far far far too situational.

The name of the race... um.

As a shell-covered creature, an AC bonus of some kind might make sense. I don't know how to balance this.

The hands are nearly pure flavor, given that they behave mechanically identical to short swords.

Mando Knight
2008-08-26, 03:28 PM
Why is one of the racial ability bonuses Dexterity? I don't see a 300-odd pound being with a lobster-like appearance to be particularly graceful. Perhaps Strength or Constitution bonuses would be better, as their thick hide could help their Fortitude Defense.

The camouflage ability is nifty, but quite situational.

Ichneumon
2008-08-26, 04:02 PM
You are probably right about the dexterity bonus.

About the hands, I am actually thinking of just giving it this ability and giving it another as I believe there are no rules for disarming in 4e which would make this ability just 2 free swords....

DracoDruid
2008-08-26, 04:15 PM
And don't forget: Lobsters can commune through carapace-color-changing

Red means Danger! :P