PDA

View Full Version : A slightly more Pratchettian Therianthrope (PEACH)

Norr
2008-08-26, 01:30 PM
Other therianthrope threads can be found here (wereworld) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88923) and here (a simpler-to-use template) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89050). A alternate higher-powered template will be available for the wereworld.

Therianthropes are cool and interesting, as they combine the best (and worst) aspects of man and animal. However, the D&D weres are difficult to play as some of them seem really powerful compared to others, but have the same LA. This is rectified by adding the animal forms HD to the base creature, but animal HD are not on par with the PC classes. I will try making a Therianthrope template that takes the 'cool' of the were, mixes it with a little mystical power and strip away most of the class level/animal HD/level adjustment mumbo-jumbo. Also, I will cut much of the immediate combat power and instead make the therianthrope something that is a bitch (pun intended) to get rid of without the right know-how.
My inspiration comes partly from the werewolves of Terry Prattchetts books, D&D lycanthropes, Robin Hobbs ‘assassin’ trilogy, Peter is the Wolf webcomic (Warning: mature material) and my own vague sense of rightness. I usually make my homebrews by the seat of my pants, so it might need some adjusting.

Therianthropy is something akin to a disease or a curse. A faintly magical abnormality in an afflicted creatures metabolism produces a number of special enzymes (yes, magical enzymes!) which gives the creature the ability to radically change its physiology. These enzymes are present in all bodily fluids, but are short-lived and never last more than a second outside a protective medium. These enzymes can be spread from an afflicted creature to an unafflicted creature through injuries involving contaminated fluids (like being bitten by a therianthrope, introducing saliva into the victims’ bloodstream) or mating.
Of course, in the typical DnD setting most people will just know you should avoid a therianthropes bite and blood. The occasional were-child born might be considered a bad omen or be blamed on evil sorcerers.
There are three 'types' of therianthropes: Alpha, Omega and Unawere (pun intended).
Alpha types are born therianthropes and therefore have extraordinary control of their forms.
Omega types are afflicted with therianthropy later in life. They might have problems controlling their physical forms and mental urges, but become more stable as they get used to their affliction.
Unaweres are Omega types who do not yet know they are afflicted. They have no conscious control over their physical form and minimal mental control while transformed.

Therianthropes might be of any alignment, but Omegas may experience alignment shifts as they discover more and more about their subconscious drives (this is a roleplay-driven mechanic. A therianthrope is never forced to undergo an alignment change due to its affliction).
All humanoids possess two minds for the purpose of this template: Consciousness (higher reasoning, hereafter referred to as the ‘humanoid mind’) and Subconsciousness (instinct, hereafter referred to as the ‘animal mind’). Normal beings usually operate by humanoid mind and rarely rely on their animal mind, unless they are of a feral variety. Animals almost always rely on instinct (animal mind) since they do not have sufficiently developed mental faculties to be capable of humanoid thinking (the spell Awaken can create a humanoid mind in animals). I am aware that real animals don't operate entirely on subconscious thought, but I'm talking about human-type consciousness and for the purpose of this template I think the simplification works fine. Tell me if it does not.
However, therianthropes have one more Conscious form (their humanoid form) and one more Subconscious form (their animal form). Alpha types learn to meld these two mentalities at an early age maintaining a good balance between their humanoid and animal states of mind. Unawere types are ruled exclusively by their subconscious animal mind while transformed and rarely remembers anything upon returning to their humanoid form. After a time the Conscious and Subconscious minds of an Unaware becomes accustomed to being at similar levels of activity and starts to communicate between each other. When this happens the Unaware is aware of his condition and becomes an Omega type.
Awakening to Omega level therianthropy carries both benefits and drawbacks. The benefits are the ability to remember what happens during 'transformed time' retroactively (as far as the animal mind has remembered its escapades) and influence when and if the therianthrope should transform. The drawback is that the Subconscious gains the same ability. Omega types basically have two minds in one body, which not always agree on a specific course of action. The animal mind is always of neutral alignment and is primarily driven by basic needs and repressed emotions and memories (in that order). This might make for some interesting roleplaying opportunities.

Therianthropes have three forms: humanoid, animal and hybrid. The humanoid form looks like a normal representative of its kind (unless it has some kind of deviation not therianthropic in origin). The animal form also looks like a normal representative of its kind, but usually in better health than its wild counterparts. The hybrid form is rarely assumed since it is a dead giveaway that there is a therianthrope running about, which can make your life very difficult if you try to keep your affliction a secret. Both your minds are present in either form, but your animal mind gains slightly more influence the more animal you become, and vice versa.

These are a few examples of Subconscious emotions/memories and how they may affect an Unawere. Remember, these are not your faint vices magnified, rather they are powerful repressed emotions hidden away for one reason or another, or something you really feel like doing but can’t due to social restrictions. Also note that your animal mind does not come directly from the animal which form you take, and it is just as intelligent and insightful as you are. In practice, you have the same mental ability scores regardless of what form you take, but different mentalities.

You have been the target of burglars time and again. You have developed a fear of others stealing what you hold dear. --- You hide your things in a safe place, maybe the cellar or a hole in the ground, depending on your species. Of course, waking up finding your things gone might deepen this fear until you go Omega, at which point you will 'remember' where all your stuff got to.
For a long time you have been secretly in love with a local woman. However, for some reason you have decided that it is not to be (she might be of the wrong rank or family, or you might have another woman already). --- You pad around her house, enjoying the presence of her scent and trying to catch sight of her. You might also try getting close to her if it is not coupled with some kind of danger. You’re an animal, not stupid.
One of your colleagues is sabotaging your work so that he will be promoted instead of you. However, he’s got blackmail material on you so you can't retaliate. --- You sneak into your rival’s office and savage the place. In the morning you hear that an animal destroyed your rivals work. You think its good karma. At least until you go Omega.
You once lost a child to the river. You think you have gotten over it. --- You hang out by the river, scaring away any children who get too close.
Your town has long been plagued by organized crime, one band keeping shopkeepers under their thumbs and bribing the city watch. Their reign makes everyone uncomfortable, but it's impossible to do anything about it without risking retribution. --- Recently a vigilante serial killer is on the loose, brutally killing key mob members. Since they all look like animal attacks, everyone suspects vengeful druids have moved into the nearby forests.

Know thyself: the Omega and you. When you have awakened to your therianthropic mind, you might be impressed, appalled, scared, curious or have almost any other emotional response to your animal mind. Fact is, from now on you just have to live with it. Also being brought face-to-face with most of your repressed memories and emotions can be pretty traumatic, and some go mad or try to kill themselves (or at least try to get cured as fast as humanoidly possible). Others get over it soon enough and learn to never keep anything secret from themselves, because your 'animal mind' will know and remind you. Basically, you can never run from your memories again. This might make you a better person or haunt you 'till the end of your days.
Omega types who fully accept their animal mind sometimes change their attitude towards life, slightly increasing the priority of food and sleep (ah, the pleasures of life) and might gain an edge by using their abilities in daily life, even if they choose not to transform all that often.

Therianthropes are tougher than normal creatures, and are in fact almost impossible to kill off permanently without the right knowledge and equipment. However they have a weakness to silver, fire and other therianthropes.

I will use the following formats:
Headers
Rule text
Commentary

Creating a Pseudo-Pratchettian lycanthrope / Therianthrope
"Therianthrope" is a template that can be added to any humanoid or giant (referred to hereafter as the base creature). The therianthropes template can be inherited (for natural therianthropes) or acquired (for afflicted therianthropes). A therianthrope that later becomes an undead creature loses all benefits of the template until destroyed and returned to life.

Size and Type
The base creature’s type does not change, but the creature gains the shapechanger subtype. If the base animal has got the aquatic subtype, the therianthrope gains this subtype while in animal form. The therianthrope takes on the characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type (referred to hereafter as the base animal). There are also unverified accounts of herbivorous therianthropes, but most scholars dismiss them as dumb superstition.

This animal can be any predator, scavenger, or omnivore whose size is within one size category of the base creature’s size (Small, Medium, or Large for a Medium base creature). The animal can also be an herbivore in rare cases and with the DMs permission. Therianthropes can also adopt a hybrid shape that combines features of the base creature and the base animal. A therianthrope's hybrid form is the same size as the base animal or the base creature, whichever is larger.

I have included herbivores for the simple reason that I find the idea of a were-camel to be hilarious. Also, being spat in the face by a were-camel is probably reason enough for a fortitude save. Also, were-sharks should be able to breath underwater, shouldn’t they?

Hit Dice and Hit Points
Same as the base creature plus a number of animal HD determined by the base animal (+½ animals HD, rounded up, minimum 1). To calculate total hit points, apply Constitution modifiers according to the score the therianthrope has in each form. If the base animal normally would have less than one full HD, the therianthropic character does not acquire any animal HD. Alpha type therianthropes have one additional animal HD in addition to those gained due to the base animals HD.*
*Example: An alpha type were-wolf would have 2 animal HD while an omega type would have 1 animal HD.
*Example: An alpha type were-cat would have 1 animal HD while an omega type would have 0 animal HD.

Now this might take some explaining. The fact that I did this with animal HD is that I want to get rid of LAs and intend to use animal HD to do so. An animal HD is basically an empty level and doesn’t serve any class all that well. I’m trying to make this balanced by reducing the immediate combat power of the therianthrope and the fact that you cant become a therianthrope with a specific base animal until you are of the appropriate level, at which point the ‘empty’ HD will act as a level adjustment that scales with the chosen base animal. Alpha types never have to make a Contest of Wills and I think that is worth an additional empty HD. I’ve also taken a look at the giant type and have concluded that this mechanic works for them as well as it does for humanoids.

Speed
Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the therianthrope is using. A therianthrope in animal form has all movement modes of the base animal. Hybrids have all movement modes of both the base creature and the base animal. The speed of each movement mode in hybrid form is equal to (the speed of the movement mode of the base creature (count as speed 0ft if lacking the relevant movement mode))+( the speed of that movement mode of the base animal (count as speed 0ft if lacking the relevant movement mode))/2, rounded down to nearest 5ft increment.*
*Example: A Halfling were-bat have speed 20 in Halfling form and speed 5 and fly 40 (good) in bat form. In hybrid form it would have speed 20+5/2=12,5->10 and fly 0+40/2=20 (good).
* Example: A human dire were-bat have speed 30 in Human form and speed 20 and fly 40 (good) in bat form. In hybrid form it would have speed 30+20/2=25 and fly 0+40/2=20 (good).
* Example: A human were-viper have speed 30 in Human form and speed 20, climb 20 and swim 20 in viper form. In hybrid form it would have speed 30+20/2=25, climb 0+20/2=10 and swim 0+20/2=10.

Seroiusly, a were-octopus should have a swim speed, don’t you agree?

Armor Class
In hybrid form, the therianthrope’s natural armor bonus is equal to the sum of the natural armor bonus of the base animal and the base creature divided by 2. Natural armor in humanoid form and in animal form is unchanged.

I took away the +2 natural armor bonus because I think it’s not necessary. At all. I also reworked the hybrids natural armor to be in line with the rest of the stat calculating mojo

Base Attack/Grapple
Use the base creatures Base Attack in all forms. Due to the extra animal HD gained, the base creatures Base Attack might increase as normal for multiclassing. The therianthrope’s grapple bonus uses its attack bonus and modifiers for Strength and size depending on the therianthrope’s form.

Attacks
Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the therianthrope is using. A therianthrope in hybrid form gains the attacks of the base animal. If the base animal does not have any attacks, the therianthrope gains a secondary bite attack in hybrid form.

The attacks of the hybrid form deal damage based on the hybrid form’s size. A hybrid may attack with a weapon and a secondary natural weapon (if applicable), or may use the attack routine of its animal form.

Yah, basically unchanged. But I did think it odd for a were-octopus to have two claws, shouldn’t they have tentacle attacks? Also, were-camels with claws? I am aware that some animals don’t have a bite attack, so I gave the hybrid the ability to choose a natural weapon appropriate for its type.

Damage
Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the therianthrope is using. Medium-sized hybrids deal 1d4 damage with a claw, slam, tentacle or similar attack and 1d6 damage with a bite, gore or similar attack. Refer to the table in the D&D SRD (under lycanthropes) for damage dealt by therianthropes of other sizes. For attacks not mentioned here, refer to the entry for the therianthropes animal form for guidelines.

A wererats diseased bite does not cause filth fever. However, it does infect its victim with whatever disease the wererat is currently carrying or infected with.

Any natural attack that has more than 2 attacks in its entry (notably the tentacle attacks of the giant varieties of octopus and squid) does damage as if the hybrids size was one size category smaller.

Changed a bit to accommodate the changes under Attacks, above, and also to address the increase in damage normally seen on the tentacles of wereseafood. Also, I don’t think wererats go around snarfing rotting garbage on their free time. Except the one who do.

Special Attacks
A therianthrope retains the special attacks of the base creature or base animal, depending on which form it is using. A therianthrope in hybrid form gains any special attacks of the base animal and the base creature. It also gains the special attack described below.

A therianthrope spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form, or spells with verbal components while in hybrid form. The feat Nonverbal spell allows a therianthrope in animal or hybrid form to cast spells with a verbal component.

A therianthropes special attacks gained from animal form may be unusable during some circumstances. For example a were-tiger in hybrid form cannot rake if it is wearing boots. However a werewolf or were-hyena that hits with its bite may trip the opponent by simply wrenching it to the side, causing it to lose balance.

Curse of Therianthropy (Su)
Any humanoid or giant hit by a therianthropes bite attack in animal or hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save (DC 5 for Omega and unawere types) or contract therianthropy. Certain adult relations can also pass on the affliction. The host needs a certain level of strength for the therianthropic affliction to successfully take hold. If the victim have less HD than the animal form transmitted by the affliction, the affliction falls into hibernation and activates only when the host is strong enough to support it.* Also, if the victim’s size is not within one size category of the base animal the victims metabolism is incompatible with the therianthropic enzymes, which will slowly break down and become harmless. The amount of therianthropic enzymes in a recently exposed incompatible host is never enough to further infect other targets.
This also applies to natural (ie alpha type) therianthropes, meaning a therianthrope by birth might not manifest its abilities until later in life (or never, in a low-level world). Hibernating alphas do have their animal mind from birth and have no problem adjusting when their heritage takes hold. Hibernating alphas can still have therianthrope kids even if they aren’t yet full therianthropes themselves, meaning that certain noble houses or savage tribes with powerful animal forms can pass them on, but only the most powerful members (like the heads of house or the chief, war leader and tribe shaman) are able to change shape. Likewise, everyone in a troupe of were-cats or were-servals have fully developed shapeshifting abilities no matter their level.
*A creature is deemed strong enough to support an affliction if it has a number of HD equal to or greater than the animal forms HD. When the therianthropy takes hold, the additional animal HD are immediately added to the creatures normal HD.**
**Example: a 1st level commoner is bitten by a werebadger. The badger has 1 HD, so the commoner will transform into an unawere werebadger if he fails his save.
**Example: a 2nd level adventurer is bitten by a weretiger, he fails his save against therianthropy. However the tiger have 6 HD, 4 HD too much, so his therianthropic affliction goes into hibernation. When he reaches level 6 he is strong enough to support his affliction, which immediately starts to take hold. This also adds 3 animal HD to his HD total, bringing him up to character level 9.

The nonverbal spell feat is in planar handbook, it allows you to use whatever noises you can utter in place of actual verbal components and have no prerequisites. The affliction is changed to accomplish two things: 1) the hibernation is to prevent low-level were-tigers and other such nonsense, and is based on the idea that the kind of power that comes with therianthropy lessens the higher level you are (same idea as LA buyoff). This means that when you reach the level where you can make use of your affliction, it’s no longer completely broken. And with the extra animal HD your friends will catch up to you sooner rather than later. That last bit about alphas was added to prevent 1st level barbarian were-tigers in a 5th level party. Because that would be just… well… no.
Also, I have allowed for hybrids to retain all special attacks from the base animal too, I figure hybrid were-boars should be just as ferocious as in their animal forms. As DracoDei pointed out, why shouldn’t a hybrid were-skunk be able to spray?

Special Qualities
A therianthrope retains all the special qualities of the base creature (when in humanoid form) and the base animal (when in animal form), and also gains those described below. Therianthropes in hybrid form gains the special qualities of both the base creature and the base animal.

Alternate Form (Su)
A therianthrope can assume the form of a specific animal (as indicated in its entry).
Changing to or from animal or hybrid form is a standard action.
A therianthrope in animal or hybrid form does not revert to its humanoid form when slain. Separated body parts retain the form they were in when severed.
Omega therianthropes find this ability difficult to control (see Therianthropy as an Affliction, below), but alpha therianthropes have full control over this power.

Therianthropic Toughness (Ex)
A therianthrope has regeneration 0 in any form. Fire, silver or the natural weapons of another therianthrope deals lethal damage to a therianthrope. Wounds dealt remain visible until they heal naturally, regardless of source. Therianthropes are still subject to death by massive damage, regardless of source. Therianthropic toughness does not allow the character to reattach or regenerate lost body parts. Therianthropic toughness does not render the character immune to a Coup de Grace.

Therianthropic Empathy (Ex)
In any form, therianthropes can communicate and empathize with normal or dire animals of their animal form. This gives them a +4 racial bonus on checks when influencing the animal’s attitude and allows the communication of simple concepts and (if the animal is friendly) commands, such as "friend," "foe," "flee," and "attack."

Low-Light Vision (Ex)
A therianthrope has low-light vision in any form if their animal form would normally have it.

Scent (Ex)
A therianthrope has the scent ability in any form if their animal form would normally have it.

Silver vulnerability (Ex)
To a therianthrope, silver objects seem hot to the touch, and holding such an object will cause the skin to redden as if sunburnt. Therianthropes receive a -4 penalty to hit when using silvered weapons (where the silver is worked into the hilt) and a -2 penalty to AC and reflex saves if wearing anything made out of silver in direct contact with the skin.
Silvered weapons deal an additional +1 damage to therianthropes.

Therianthropic Mind (Ex)
A therianthrope receives Therianthropic Mind due to the special connection between its consciousness and subconsciousness.
Therianthropic mind works like the Rouge ability Slippery Mind, with the following changes. If an afflicted character fails a saving throw against an enchantment spell or effect, the character can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. If the second save succeeds, the character is subject to an involuntary change with no Contest of Wills allowed. This represents the animal mind (or the humanoid mind if in animal form at the time) taking the reins from the currently debilitated humanoid mind to maintain free will.
The therianthrope gets only this one extra chance to succeed on the saving throw. If the character gains the Slippery Mind ability from any source the therianthrope can choose whether to change or not should it succeed on the second saving throw.

Now this is a long one. First off the alternate form doesn’t change back when killed, because I always thought it really cheesy when that happened in movies. It also removes the ‘well at least now we know its dead’ thing, which meshes well with therianthropic toughness. And while we are discussing the TT, say hello to the replacement of DR/silver. This thing comes from pratchetts ‘guards guards’ where constaple Angua (werewolf) is shot and apparently killed by a sniper rifle. However, her boyfriend takes her body home and watches over it, and when she later wakes up he says “Well, I thought werewolves could only be killed by silver”. Also, a similar thing happened in Peter is the Wolf, where Sarah was on a rampage and the sheriff shot her in the heart with his pistol. When she later wakes up he explains only silver can kill a werewolf. Also, in Pratchetts ‘the fifth elephant’ a werewolf aristocrat was killed by exploding him with fireworks. Peter is the Wolf also explicitly mentions other werewolves teeth and claws to be capable of dealing lethal injuries. Regeneration 0 means you heal nonlethal damage at the normal rate (1 point per level per hour) which means a therianthrope may be seemingly killed in battle but later rise again a few hours later. This is also why you should burn a therianthropes body, like the ‘assassin books’ (hang over water and burn!). The changes to low-light vision and scent is based on my own reasoning, why should a were-eagle have scent? Silver vulnerability is adapted from Pratchetts books. I also want to note that the silver-related penalties apply if and only if there is silver in direct contact with the skin of the wielder/wearer. Wrapping the hilt, knob and guard of a sword negates these penalties. It has also been pointed out that Iron Will (which used to be in the feats section) wasn't all that interesting. So I replaced it with something a little more in line with my original idea.

Base Save Bonuses
Base save bonuses are increased by the extra animal HD as normal for multiclassing, but with one exception: A good base save is ½HD+2, and a poor save is 1/3HD. If the therianthrope have already gained that +2 bonus on a save from class levels or racial HD, he may not gain the additional +2 bonus to that save from the good saves of his animal HD.*
*Example: a 2nd level human were-shark fighter has good fortitude save and poor reflex and will saves. The 2 animal HD gained from the medium shark have good fortitude and reflex saves, but a poor will save. The 2 animal HD adds +1 to his base fortitude save, +3 to his base reflex save and +0 to his base will save.
*Example: If the human above was instead a ranger, he would gain +1 to his base fortitude and reflex saves and +0 to his will save from his 2 animal HD.
*Example: If the above human was instead a wizard, he would gain +3 to his base fortitude and reflex saves and +0 to his will save from his 2 animal HD.

This is simply because I think insane saves from multiple multiclassing is stupid and slightly lessening the template power. Ignore it if you think I’m just being an ass.

Abilities
Ability scores in humanoid form are unchanged.
When in animal form, a therianthropes physical ability scores are normal for an animal of its kind, and it retains the mental ability scores of its humanoid form.
When in hybrid form, a therianthropes physical ability scores are an amalgam between those of the humanoid form and the animal form, and it retains the mental ability scores of its humanoid form. To calculate the physical ability scores of the hybrid form, add each score of your humanoid form to the respective score of your animal form and divide them by 2, rounding down.*
*Example: a warrior werewolf has a strength score of 15 in his normal form, and 13 in his wolf form. 15+13/2=14. The warrior has 14 strength in hybrid form.
*Example: the same warrior has a dexterity score of 10 and constitution 14 in humanoid form, and dexterity and constitution 15 in animal form. He has 10+15/2=12,5->12 dexterity and 14+15/2=14,5->14 constitution in hybrid form.

In addition, a therianthrope may also gain an additional ability score increase by virtue of its extra animal Hit Dice. Additional ability score increases gained every four levels affect the ability score it is applied to for the animal form as well as the humanoid form.*
*Example: A Halfling wererat with 15 dexterity gains his 4th character level and applies his ability score increase to his dexterity score. He now has 16 dexterity in humanoid form and 16 dexterity in animal form. This also means he has 16 dexterity in hybrid form.

For the purpose of a Contest of Wills (see below) and general reasoning, the humanoid mind and the animal mind have the same mental ability scores.

Now this is a novel bit of mechanics. These are basically meant to reduce the otherwise insane power level of the hybrid form, which can use magic items as well. This was one of the things that made the original D&D lycanthrope borken. However, also note that ability score increases from levels apply to all forms equally.

Skills
A therianthrope gains skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per extra animal Hit Die, as if it had multiclassed into the animal type. Any skill given in the animal’s description is a class skill for the therianthropes animal levels. In any form, a therianthrope also has any racial skill bonuses of the base creature and of the base animal, although conditional skill bonuses only apply in the associated form.
Exception: in humanoid form, racial skill bonuses from the base animal are reduced by half.

As a therianthrope, you are always part animal regardless of what form you take. In humanoid form you may not be physically able to perform all the stunts of your animal form, but you still have a few tricks up your sleeve.

Feats
Add the base animal’s bonus feats to the base creature’s feats known. If this result in a therianthrope having the same feat twice, the therianthrope gains no additional benefit unless the feat normally can be taken more than once, in which case the duplicated feat works as noted in the feat description. The extra animal HD may allow you to pick an additional feat, just as if you had levelled up normally.

I never got why you should have the animal arbitrarily assigned HD-gained feats. But bonus feats, on the other hand, are integral to the animals survival in the wild, so you get the bonus feats but not the other ones. Also, a natural property of bonus feats is you don’t need to meet their prerequisites to use them in any form. They’re all just weapon finesse anyway. Also, you still can’t switch out your duplicate feats simply because you might need them if you get yourself cured somewhere along the road, and being a melee rouge suddenly without weapon finesse is just dumb.

Environment
Same as either the base creature and/or base animal.

Organization
Solitary or pair, sometimes family (3-4), pack (6-10), or troupe (family plus related animals)

Challenge Rating
By class level or base creature.

Treasure
Standard.

Alignment
Any.

I always hated that bigoted alignment thing anyway. Noble bears? HA! Papa bears eat bear cubs and mama bears are homicidal ursaphobics for that very reason.

Advancement
By character class or base creature advancement.

Level Adjustment
Same as the base creature. A therianthrope’s character level is increased by a number of animal HD dependent on the base animal.

An animal HD is almost like ½ a level adjustment, and I try to come up with methods of taking away LA entirely. I have also weakened the therianthropes combat abilities to make this balanced. I hope it’s enough.

Norr
2008-08-26, 02:10 PM
Therianthropy As An Affliction

When a character contracts therianthropy through a therianthrope’s bite (see above), no symptoms appear until the first night of the next full moon. On that night, the afflicted character involuntarily assumes animal form and forgets his or her own identity, temporarily becoming an NPC. The character remains in animal form until the next dawn. If a character carries a dormant therianthropic affliction and gains enough levels for it to fully set in, the effects are not noticed until the next full moon, as if the character was bitten when it gained its current level.

The character’s actions during this first and subsequent episodes are dictated by memories and emotions repressed into the characters subconscious. The character remembers nothing about the entire episode (or subsequent episodes) unless he succeeds on a DC 15 Wisdom check, in which case he becomes aware of his therianthropic condition. He is thereafter considered an omega type therianthrope.

Thereafter, the character is subject to involuntary transformation under the full moon and whenever damaged in combat. His or her animal mind feels an overwhelming urge build up and the character must succeed on a Contest of Wills to resist changing into animal form. During the full moon, the urge stems from a need to run freely and leave behind all worries and duties of civilized life. During a fight, the urge stems from an impending need of survival, usually prompting a change into the most powerful form (animal or hybrid, depending on the effectiveness of your equipment). Any player character not yet aware of his or her therianthropic condition temporarily becomes an NPC during an involuntary change, and acts according to memories and emotions repressed into the characters subconscious.

A character with awareness of his condition retains his identity and does not lose control of his actions if he changes. However, the characters animal mind also exerts a stronger influence over the characters actions when transformed, and might rebel against an action that is contrary to its nature. To perform such an action, the character must succeed on an opposed charisma check against his animal mind, a Contest of Wills. See ‘Controlling Your Shape’ below

Once a character becomes aware of his affliction, he can now voluntarily attempt to change to animal or hybrid form, using a Contest of Wills. An attempt is a standard action and can be made each round.

Congratulations! You are no longer required to kill your family and friends in your sleep. I also introduced the Contest of Wills to replace that pesky ‘control shape’ skill. I think some of this comes from ‘Peter is the Wolf’, specially the duality of mind, but that specific property is also from the ‘assassin’ books.

Changing Form

Changing form is a standard action. If the change is involuntary, the character performs the change on his next turn following the triggering event. An unawere type remains in animal form until the next dawn. An omega type can try to resume humanoid form following a change (voluntary or involuntary) with a Contest of Wills with his animal mind, but if he fails his check, he remains in animal (or hybrid) form until the animal mind decides to allow the change or until the following dawn, whichever comes first.
Being fed a sprig of belladonna (also called wolfsbane) while in animal or hybrid form instantly reverts the character to humanoid form. Therianthropes are immune to the poisonous effects of wolfsbane and usually carry it with them for emergencies. The suppressive effect of wolfsbane lasts for one hour if fresh (picked within the last week), or for 10 minutes if dried. When under the influence of wolfsbane a therianthrope may not assume hybrid or animal form, but the animal mind may still prevent the character from performing actions contrary to its personality.

This is basically just changed to not include the control shape skill, which I killed and burninated. The wolfsbane thing comes from Peter is the Wolf, because changing back is harder than changing into.

Curing Therianthropy

An afflicted character who eats a sprig of belladonna (also called wolfsbane) within 1 hour of a therianthrope’s attack can attempt a DC 20 Fortitude save to shake off the affliction. If a healer administers the herb, use the character’s save bonus or the healer’s Heal modifier, whichever is higher. The character gets only one chance, no matter how much belladonna is consumed. The belladonna must be reasonably fresh (picked within the last week).

However, fresh or not, belladonna is toxic. The character must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or take 1d6 points of Strength damage. One minute later, the character must succeed on a second DC 13 save or take an additional 2d6 points of Strength damage.

A remove disease or heal spell cast by a cleric of 12th level or higher also cures the affliction, provided the character receives the spell within three days of the therianthrope’s attack.

The only other way to remove the affliction is to cast remove curse or break enchantment on the character during one of the three days of the full moon and feed him/her a sprig of belladonna/wolfsbane. After receiving the spell and the herb, the character must succeed on a DC 20 fortitude save to break the curse (the caster knows if the spell works). If the save fails, the process must be repeated.

Characters undergoing this cure are often kept bound or confined in cages until the cure takes effect, unless it’s their own idea.

Only afflicted therianthropes can be cured of therianthropy.

This is basically just changed to involve wolfsbane a bit more. The spells are to weaken the magic of the enzymes and the wolfsbane is to neutralise them for good.

Therianthropes As Characters

Becoming a therianthrope does not change a character’s favored class.

Therianthrope characters possess the following racial traits.

* No change in ability scores in humanoid form. The animal form uses its normal physical ability scores. The hybrid form uses the humanoid forms physical ability scores + the animal forms ability scores divided by 2 for each physical ability score.
* Size same as the base creature or the base animal form.
* Low-light vision in any form if the animal form would have it naturally.
* Scent in any form if the animal form would have it naturally.
* Racial Hit Dice: An omega or unaware type therianthrope adds a number of animal HD equal to ½ the HD of the base animal, rounded up. If the base animal has less than one full HD the therianthrope does not add any animal HD. An alpha type therianthrope adds a number of animal HD equal to ½ the HD of the base animal, rounded up, +1, or just 1 animal HD if the base animal have less than one full HD. These additional Hit Dice modify the therianthrope’s hit points, base attack bonus and base saving throw bonuses accordingly. However, good saves are equal to ½ animal HD (rounded down) rather than ½ animal HD +2 (rounded down).
* Racial Skills: A therianthrope adds skill points for its animal Hit Dice much as if it had multiclassed into the animal type. It gains skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per animal Hit Die it receives. Any skills that appear in the animal’s description are treated as class skills for the therianthrope’s animal levels. The therianthrope’s maximum skill ranks are equal to its animal Hit Dice + its racial Hit Dice (if any) + its class levels + 3. Any racial skill adjustments of the therianthrope’s base race and its animal form (but not conditional adjustments) are added to its skill modifiers in any form.
* Racial Feats: Add the animal Hit Dice to the base character’s own Hit Dice to determine how many feats the character has.
* Special Qualities (see above): Alternate form, therianthropic empathy, curse of therianthropy (in animal or hybrid form only), therianthropic toughness, silver vulnerability, therianthropic mind.
* Automatic Languages: As base creature.
* Favored Class: Same as the base creature.
* Level adjustment: None.

A short summary of the new template, I think I got it all down.

Therianthropic personality

A therianthrope basically have two minds, one humanoid mind of the base creature and one animal mind based on the base creatures’ subconscious and the instincts of the base animal. As discussed above the animal mind can have different personalities depending on the phantoms of the humanoid mind. This personality also determines why and when the animal mind opposes a specific action, prompting a Contest of Wills. Also remember that the animal mind is always neutral in alignment and is not devoted to any specific cause besides the therianthropes survival. Below are some general personalities an animal mind might have, based on the repressed emotions of your subconscious. Pick one or roll randomly.

{table=head]Roll|Personality trait |Effect

1 |Positive |Your animal mind is particularly fond of certain things, people and/or concepts and resents seeing these things damaged, hurt or violated|

2 |Negative |Your animal mind is particularly opposed to certain things, people and/or concepts and you helping or furthering them|

3 |Catious |Your animal mind is primarily concerned with your continued existence and resents rushing into things without having a somewhat good idea of the outcome|

4 |Reckless |The time is now! Your animal mind believes in action and resents unnecessary delays and dallying about|

5 |Frightful |Your life is a dear thing. Your animal mind fears your death and resents fighting clearly superior foes, especially if they carry silver weaponry or use fire|

6 |Ferocious |What does not kill me makes me stronger! Your animal mind thinks the best way to challenge yourself is to face strong opponents. It resents being robbed of an opportunity to test itself against such challenges|

7 |Territorial |Your home is your castle. Your animal mind cares deeply about a specific area it considers its home turf. It resents invaders or other forces intruding on and/or spoiling it and its inhabitants and will want to neutralise them|

8 |Pack animal |There is safety in numbers. Your animal mind has a pack mentality and considers your closest circle of friends its pack or pride. It resents threats to the pack as well as betrayal within it and will want to neutralise or punish such things|

9 |Egocentric |Me, I and Myself. Your animal mind cares only of your own well-being and resents you helping others at the expense of your own well-being|

10 |Caring |What goes around comes around. Your animal mind believes the more friends you make the fewer enemies you will have, and resents refusing to help those in dire need|

11 |Stealthy |dun DUN dun DUN dun DUN dunn… Your animal mind knows that out of sight means out of mind, and out of mind means you live to strike first. It resents actions that make you the centre of attention|

12 |Flashy |Your animal mind knows you are an ace in your field and is eager to show off. It resents missing such an opportunity if it can be helped|

13 |Proud |I do not take orders, I take suggestions. Your animal mind resents being bossed around with. A plan from someone you respect is one thing, but don’t you dare pull rank on me|

14 |Follower |What do you think? Your animal mind knows you are not a leader, and there may always be someone smarter than you. It resents ignoring something that may be a valid opinion|

15 |Rival |All things get harder if someone is trying to stop you. Your animal mind resents such obstacles and will want to neutralise them if possible|

16 |Brooding |Actions speak louder than words. Your animal mind remembers slights and wrongdoings for a long time, because if someone betrays you once they are likely to do so again. It resents trusting someone who once wronged you or your friends|

17 |Forgiving |Forgive and forget. Your animal mind believes most people have redeeming features. It resents not acting on sound advice because of an old grudge|

18 |Free |Is… is that a cage? Your animal mind likes the wind on its face and the sky overhead. It resents being inside a small space room or cage|

19 |Suspicious |Why should I trust you? Your animal mind knows everyone is capable of deception and may have hidden motives. It resents trusting any advice without checking its validity first|

20 |Compound personality |Roll twice again and add both results, ignoring further results of 20 and personalities which contradict each other|[/table]

If the humanoid mind attempts an action the animal mind is opposed to and wins the Contest of Wills, he may perform the action as normal. If the humanoid mind loses the Contest of Wills, he may not take that particular action, but may otherwise act as normal. Losing a CoW triggered by a personality being opposed to an action does not necessarily trigger an involuntary change, but may do so if the animal mind believes a change is necessary. Remember that the animal mind have the same mental ability scores as the humanoid mind and is capable of making informed decisions.

Based mostly on Peter is the Wolf and the ‘assassin’ books. The point of this is to give the character an inkling of what he really is deep inside. If the character changes his outlook to better match his animal personality he will get an easier time and fewer CoWs. If you don’t like this kind of forced roleplaying, choose one or two personalities that are a close fit for your character. Doing that just means your character has been true to his instincts even before he contracted therianthropy. Also note that while the animal mind is indeed neutral/neutral, contracting therianthropy never results in a forced alignment change for the humanoid mind.

Controlling Your Shape

Any character that has contracted therianthropy and is aware of his condition can control his shape by winning a Contest of Wills against his animal mind. This check determines whether an afflicted therianthrope can control his shape. A natural therianthrope does not need to engage in a Contest of Wills, since it has full control over its shape and mind.
A Contest of Wills is an opposed charisma check between the humanoid mind and the animal mind. Both the humanoid mind and the animal mind have the same charisma score, and the humanoid mind gain bonuses or penalties according to the table below.
Winning the Contest of Wills can mean anything from temporarily suppressing the other mind to simply convincing it that it is the best course of action in this particular situation. This check can be used once for any particular action and the result lasts until the end of the encounter.

{table=head]Circumstance |Humanoid mind charisma modifier in CoW

You are in humanoid form |
+2|

You are in animal form |
-2|

You are in hybrid form |
+0|

It is daytime (the sun is up) |
+2|

It is night time (the moon is up)|
-2|

The moon is full (stacks with night time) |
-2 (tot -4)|[/table]

All of the above modifiers stack. Day/night modifiers apply even if inside or underground.

For game purposes, the full moon lasts three days every month.

This simple table replaces the control shape skill. Changing due to severe stress is up to the player and/or DM and can be treated as an involuntary change.

Involuntary Change

An afflicted character must succeed on a Contest of Wills at moonrise each night of the full moon to resist involuntarily assuming animal form. An injured character must also check for an involuntary change after accumulating enough damage to reduce his hit points by one-quarter and again after each additional one-quarter lost.

On a failed check, the character must remain in animal form until the animal mind decides to allow changing back or until the next dawn (whichever comes first), when he automatically returns to his base form. An omega type may make one attempt to return to humanoid form (using the modifiers above above), but if he fails, he remains in animal form until the animal mind decides to allow the change or until the next dawn (whichever comes first).

Check to resist an involuntary change once each time a triggering event occurs, but no more than once per encounter for any particular triggering event (reaching 75%, 50% or 25% hp counts as separate triggering events for this purpose).

The only real change here is that the animal mind gets a say in the matter.

Voluntary Change

In addition, an omega type therianthrope may attempt to use a Contest of Wills in order to voluntarily change to animal form, assume hybrid form, or return to humanoid form, regardless of the state of the moon or whether he has been injured. This Contest of Wills uses the modifiers listed under ‘Controlling Your Shape’ above.

A character can retry voluntary changes to animal form or hybrid form as often as he likes. Each attempt is a standard action. However, on a failed attempt to return to humanoid form, the character must remain in animal or hybrid form until the animal mind decides to allow the change or until the next dawn (whichever comes first).

changing back to human during a full moon is a CoW at -6 (according to the table above), giving you a 15% chance of success. Good luck. ;)

Special

An afflicted therianthrope (Unawere type) cannot attempt a voluntary change until it becomes aware of its condition (Omega type)(see Therianthropy as an Affliction).

After a time a bond of trust may develop between the humanoid mind and the animal mind, which reduces the need to make a Contest of Wills. When you have gained a number of HD equal to three times the base animals HD, you no longer risk a Contest of Wills for an action your animal mind is opposed to unless it’s a gross violation. In addition, you only need to check against involuntary change due to damage when reduced to below 50% of your total hp.

What can I say, making a CoW time and again can get annoying, so I made it a little easier on you for higher levels, where the stakes are higher. Also, this rewards therianthropes with weaker base animals since they get the bond of trust earlier than those with stronger (and therefore stronger-willed) base animals.

Yay maths!

Okay, the class is basically complete, but what would D&D be without probability calculations? I mean, we do them every time we roll a die, so I thought I might make a table calculating the chances to win a Contest of Wills during different circumstances, how about that?

Now, the basic premise of a CoW is an opposed charisma check with an entity who always have the same charisma score as you do. This means it’s basically a roll of two d20s and the highest wins. But there are more to it than that. Since (for ease of reference only) the modifiers apply only to the humanoid mind, we can replace the variable of the animal mind with a constant, the average d20 roll.
The average roll of 1d20 = 1+20/2=10,5. This means the humanoid mind needs beat DC 10,5. Since the humanoid mind can’t roll fractions however, it means rolling 11 or higher, giving the humanoid mind a 45% chance of success without modifiers.
Then there are those modifiers. When in humanoid form the humanoid mind gets a +2 to his roll, meaning he can roll 11-2=9 and still beat the animal mind DC, a 55% chance of success. This principle will be used for the table below.

{table=head]Circumstance |Humanoid mind chance of success

You are in humanoid form during day |
65% (roll 7+)|

You are in humanoid form during night |
45% (roll 11+)|

You are in animal form during day |
45% (roll 11+)|

You are in animal form during night |
25% (roll 15+)|

You are in hybrid form during day |
55% (roll 9+)|

You are in hybrid form during night |
35% (roll 13+)|[/table]

Apply the following modifiers to the above percentages if they apply

{table=head]Circumstance |Humanoid mind chance of success

The moon is full during day |
+0% (no effect)|

The moon is full during night |
-10% (add +2 to min roll)|[/table]

Fako
2008-08-26, 02:45 PM
First things first: Thank You!:smallsmile:

I have a player who's been wanting to have a lycanthropic character, but we couldn't seem to find a proper balance that fit... you sir have found it (at least in my opinion).

To my knowledge it looks balanced, but I only have a basic grasp of relative LAs...

Very well done! I am stealing this... :smallamused:

DracoDei
2008-08-26, 04:18 PM
Going to duplicate parts of my commentary on this that I did in the were-world thread. Will try to hack out the parts that are specific to the combination of the two, and only leave the stuff that is relevant to what you have on its own.

relevant to combining the way these two ideas (have read through once, except for some of the Contest of Wills section) :

The animal mind seems to weaken the importance of character alignment and should certainly not be used in a species-alignment game (since you have the animal mind as being True Neutral). Another option is to allow free choice of humanoid mind alignment, but use species alignment (as per RAW and associated judgement calls for additional species) for the animal mind. This would create an interesting dynamic of most individuals matching the two alignments together with a few stubborn exceptions.

Size
Suggest making the hybrid form the larger of the two sizes if they are different.

Hit Dice
I think you may be onto something with how you have handled the animal HD. Alhough I wouldn't recommend giving Alphas an additional animal HD in a campaign with the were-world aspect to it. One thing I would say is that if you have racial HD (say for a giant) then perhaps you only get enough animal HD to bring you up to the total racial HD a human theranthrope would have, often this would be zero. Note also that Animal HD aren't that bad for melee classes IMHO as long as you get the special abilities, special attacks, and stat mods...

Hit Dice and Hit Points
Same as the base creature plus a number of animal HD determined by the base animal (+½ animals HD, rounded up, minimum 1 for afflicted therianthropes). To calculate total hit points, apply Constitution modifiers according to the score the therianthrope has in each form. If the base animal normally would have less than one full HD, the therianthropic character does not acquire any animal HD. Alpha type therianthropes have one additional animal HD in addition to those gained due to the base animals HD.*
*Example: An alpha type were-wolf would have 2 animal HD while an omega type would have 1 animal HD.
*Example: An alpha type were-cat would have 1 animal HD while an omega type would have 0 animal HD.

Speed
I might recommend giving all movement modes of both forms in hybrid form, with speed as the average of the two for each mode. Not having a given mode would count as Speed 0 for that mode. Manuvariablity is increases one step if the hybrid form is smaller than the animal form, and decreases one step if it is larger...

Armor Class
Didn't even realize theranthropes got better natural armor than the animal... I totally agree on ditching it. Helps keep the LA's minimal.

Attacks
Agree that were-octopi should not get claw attacks. Why not just say "Hybrid form has the same attack forms as the animal form with damage dice adjusted for any size change"?

Special Attacks
No access to special attack forms in hybrid form? NAY I say! Pouncing Tigers and Spraying Skunks must be! (especially the skunks)... tripping wolves are a bit dubious because they would have to bend down all the way to the ground to trip like a wolf does by grabbing the ankle... but to maximize flavor, almost all specials attacks and abilities should be kept in hybrid form.

I also strongly recommend allowing hybrids to use verbal components... keeps from COMPLETELY discouraging high racial HD casters as PCs (well except as gishs using long duration buffs...).

Special Qualities
You don't mention which special qualities they have in hybrid form... I would recommend USUALLY giving them all the special qualities of both, and only omitting those that wouldn't make sense from a morphological POV.

I would recommend allowing all energy types to bypass the Regeneration, rather than just fire. This leaves arcane casters with a larger range of viable options for spell picks even if they don't take "Energy Substitution (Fire)" at the earliest possible chance. AT LEAST allow Acid...

I totally agree with you about not giving EVERYONE scent and low-light vision ... didn't even realize that RAW theranthropes gave those to everything... don't know about giving them in humanoid/giant form though...

Saves
As a supporter of "Fractional Saves and BAB" (including half-point bonuses for odd ability score numbers) I mostly support what you are trying to do, but I think that as part of that they should be able to get the +2 once for each save. So an ECL 2 first level, one animal HD werecat wizard would have +2 (or +2.83333) base saves for both Reflex and Will.

Abilities
For physical stats I would recommend having the animal form use the animals stat MODIFIERS for physical stats, the hybrid form using BOTH sets of modifiers added together, and the humaniod form use just the humanoid modifiers. This makes the animal forms less generic and doesn't punish fighters for shifting into animal form. Realizing that this makes elven weretiger rogues something straight out of "The Matrix" when in hybrid or animal forms... but that is as it should be...

On re-reading I realize that you are using the AVERAGE for the hybrid form, which I like, but I still would say that should be the average adjustments, added to your rolled (and leveled and magic itemed) stats. I also think that a Belt of Strength and similar items should shift with, and apply to, ALL forms.

Skills
I don't think racial bonuses for the animal should apply to humanoid form. Think they almost always should apply to hybrid form.

Feats
I would consider dropping "Iron Will" so that Enchanters and Beguilers aren't starting off at a disadvantage.
Recommend giving all Animal feats, since my monster creation experience indicates to me that they very well might have picked which ones are "basic" and which ones are "bonus" arbitrarily.

Level Adjustment
No idea of the balance of how you have yours set up... my recommended changes to it PROBABLY mean that at least a small amount of LA is going to have to come back in at least SOME cases.

thevorpalbunny
2008-08-26, 04:49 PM
For the saves issue, a simple solution is just to say that their saves are capped at what a single-class good save for that level would be.

I also agree that you should keep special attacks and qualities in hybrid form as much as possible. If only because I want to make my were-cheetah monk who can sprint 1000 feet in 6 seconds. . .
It also makes a were-world scenario (something I've always wanted to make) much more diverse.

DracoDei
2008-08-26, 04:55 PM
Speaking of which... here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88923) is a cross referencing link for posterity...

((And if you like the were-world idea so much, why haven't you weighed in on which options you would prefer, and general thoughts?))

Norr
2008-08-27, 09:03 AM
@Fako: You can't steal this, I'm giving it to you! ;) Also, this is a first post of this thing so there are likely to be a couple of changes and updates in the near future.

@thevorpalbunny: 1)Saves: I could to it like that, but it would make it harder to calculate when different good/bad saves are involved. What I did have almost the same effect, but makes the math easier I think.
2)Special abilities: People keep telling me this. I'll check what effects it would have and probably make an edit to allow it.

@DracoDei:

The animal mind seems to weaken the importance of character alignment and should certainly not be used in a species-alignment game (since you have the animal mind as being True Neutral). Another option is to allow free choice of humanoid mind alignment, but use species alignment (as per RAW and associated judgement calls for additional species) for the animal mind. This would create an interesting dynamic of most individuals matching the two alignments together with a few stubborn exceptions.

Actually, the alignment of the humanoid mind doesn't change, and most personalities can mesh with any alignment if you play it well. I'll clarify that in the next edit.

Size
Suggest making the hybrid form the larger of the two sizes if they are different.

That's exactly what it says, or exactly "A therianthrope's hybrid form is the same size as the base animal or the base creature, whichever is larger."

Hit Dice
I think you may be onto something with how you have handled the animal HD. Alhough I wouldn't recommend giving Alphas an additional animal HD in a campaign with the were-world aspect to it. One thing I would say is that if you have racial HD (say for a giant) then perhaps you only get enough animal HD to bring you up to the total racial HD a human theranthrope would have, often this would be zero. Note also that Animal HD aren't that bad for melee classes IMHO as long as you get the special abilities, special attacks, and stat mods...

Since most weres in the wereworld would be Alphas and omegas would be rather rare, you should drop the alphas extra animal HD in a were-world setting.
The racial HD vs animal HD thing... I must browse the SRD and think on it, I'll have to come up with a solution that isn't more complicated than it already is. I'll use your suggestion as a baseline. (To be honest, I totally forgot about the giants ^^;)
Also, animal HD is like the warrior NPC class with better reflexes, and they only count as ½ CR each, opposed to PC classes that are 1 CR each. But yeah, casters get better combat at the cost of spells and meleeers get slightly worse combat than they shouyld and no spec abilities, so I think thats okay either way.

Speed
I might recommend giving all movement modes of both forms in hybrid form, with speed as the average of the two for each mode. Not having a given mode would count as Speed 0 for that mode. Manuvariablity is increases one step if the hybrid form is smaller than the animal form, and decreases one step if it is larger...

Well, if raptorans can fly why shouldn't hybrid dire werebats? averaging the speeds would mesh with the averaging of ability scores so that's okay, but regarding maneuverability the hybrid form is never smaller than the animal form, so maneuverability could only drop, but I'll take that idea to heart... and maybe I got an idea for a feat there somewhere...

Armor Class
Didn't even realize theranthropes got better natural armor than the animal... I totally agree on ditching it. Helps keep the LA's minimal.

Just my thought.

Attacks
Agree that were-octopi should not get claw attacks. Why not just say "Hybrid form has the same attack forms as the animal form with damage dice adjusted for any size change"?

Hehe... I kinda thought octopi got 8 slam attacks, turns out I was wrong. I'll go with your idea, now that the octopus has shown its true colours.

Special Attacks
No access to special attack forms in hybrid form? NAY I say! Pouncing Tigers and Spraying Skunks must be! (especially the skunks)... tripping wolves are a bit dubious because they would have to bend down all the way to the ground to trip like a wolf does by grabbing the ankle... but to maximize flavor, almost all specials attacks and abilities should be kept in hybrid form.

I also strongly recommend allowing hybrids to use verbal components... keeps from COMPLETELY discouraging high racial HD casters as PCs (well except as gishs using long duration buffs...).

I'll look into it. As long as I can do a decent noncomplicated generalisation, skunks will spray.

Special Qualities
You don't mention which special qualities they have in hybrid form... I would recommend USUALLY giving them all the special qualities of both, and only omitting those that wouldn't make sense from a morphological POV.

I would recommend allowing all energy types to bypass the Regeneration, rather than just fire. This leaves arcane casters with a larger range of viable options for spell picks even if they don't take "Energy Substitution (Fire)" at the earliest possible chance. AT LEAST allow Acid...

I totally agree with you about not giving EVERYONE scent and low-light vision ... didn't even realize that RAW theranthropes gave those to everything... don't know about giving them in humanoid/giant form though...

SQ in hybrid form: You're right, I totally forgot. Guess that's what I get for copying and pasting from the SRD. I'll look into it.
Regeneration: I'm using silver, fire and theri bypass for flavor mostly. The main point of this is making sure the theianthrope can come back unless you don't know how to kill it properly. As soon as it is unconscious delivering a coupe the grace will finish it off, as will burning the body (which is what the villagers will do, I can sense a monty-python moment coming). Basically, the mage can blast it with whatever he likes, when it's down he can kill it at his leisure by cutting its head off or stab it in the face with his table dagger.
Low-light vision and scent: Angua can track well in human form and see in the dark, and that's cool enough for me.

Saves
As a supporter of "Fractional Saves and BAB" (including half-point bonuses for odd ability score numbers) I mostly support what you are trying to do, but I think that as part of that they should be able to get the +2 once for each save. So an ECL 2 first level, one animal HD werecat wizard would have +2 (or +2.83333) base saves for both Reflex and Will.

Hmm... I see what you are getting at. I will try to think about a way to reword it so that you get the +2 on a save that doesn't already have it.

Abilities
For physical stats I would recommend having the animal form use the animals stat MODIFIERS for physical stats, the hybrid form using BOTH sets of modifiers added together, and the humaniod form use just the humanoid modifiers. This makes the animal forms less generic and doesn't punish fighters for shifting into animal form. Realizing that this makes elven weretiger rogues something straight out of "The Matrix" when in hybrid or animal forms... but that is as it should be...

On re-reading I realize that you are using the AVERAGE for the hybrid form, which I like, but I still would say that should be the average adjustments, added to your rolled (and leveled and magic itemed) stats. I also think that a Belt of Strength and similar items should shift with, and apply to, ALL forms.

This is a hard one, insane ability scores pushes up LA, so I tried to tone them down a little. High scores in animal form is countered by not being able to use magic weaponry and some items (remember items doesn't shift with you (must remember to mention that) so the stuff that doesn't fall off should remain on and functional). The averaging-out of ability scores in hybrid form also means thet you get three forms with different utility, rather than one uber-powerful form. Also remember that stat increases from levels apply to all forms, not just the humanoid one.
There is also a slightly different method of calculating scores for the base animal, stolen from K of the wizards forum.
Basically you assume theanimal got elite scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) and subtract these from the animals stats (15 from the highest stat, 14 from the next highest and so on) and the result will be the animals stat modifiers, which you can add to whatever stats your humanoid stats are to get the animals therianthrope stats. Then you either use the same stats for the hybrid form (uber form) or use the average between those stats as noted in my original post. I'll see how this works of you think it's a good idea.

Skills
I don't think racial bonuses for the animal should apply to humanoid form. Think they almost always should apply to hybrid form.

Animal skill bonuses are almost always based on physiology, so you have a point. However, as a therianthrope you are always a little 'animal', so that part of you might allow you to use those improved senses/balance/whatnot. I decided to go with the latter, but I need to edit and make stat blocks to see how these things really work out.

Feats
I would consider dropping "Iron Will" so that Enchanters and Beguilers aren't starting off at a disadvantage.
Recommend giving all Animal feats, since my monster creation experience indicates to me that they very well might have picked which ones are "basic" and which ones are "bonus" arbitrarily.

Actually, extrapolating for the small animals errata, any feat the animal needs to survive that it doesn't qualify for is designated a bonus feat (cats and pseudodragons don't have the +1 BAB for weapon finesse). However, you can pick those feats for yourself when you get the animal HD, instead of like wizards lycanthropes: you get all feats the naimal has due to high HD, and also get to pick new feats due to your new animal HD. If you get too many feats becasue of this, all extra feats are considered bonus feats.
Okay, maybe that's abit extreme, but that's basically how it works. Use the SRD for checking which feats are bonus feats for the base animal, since those are corrected by errata and the monster manual isn't (generraly).

Level Adjustment
No idea of the balance of how you have yours set up... my recommended changes to it PROBABLY mean that at least a small amount of LA is going to have to come back in at least SOME cases.

As I said in above partial comments, I'll have to playtest this thing to see of it really needs an LA, because I hate LAs. One of the goals of this thing is to replave LAs with animal HD, but I have another idea that I might try is animal HD doesn't work out (*hint* it's all about the hitpoints).

sigurd
2008-08-27, 01:52 PM
I like it a lot. Much more Modern World friendly too.

Sigurd

DracoDei
2008-08-27, 02:42 PM
Basically you assume theanimal got elite scores (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) and subtract these from the animals stats (15 from the highest stat, 14 from the next highest and so on) and the result will be the animals stat modifiers, which you can add to whatever stats your humanoid stats are to get the animals therianthrope stats. Then you either use the same stats for the hybrid form (uber form) or use the average between those stats as noted in my original post.
Err... strongly recommend the standard rule of getting the stat adjustments by subtracting 11 from each odd ability score, and 10 from each even one. The animals in the books are AVERAGE members of the species. NPC weres would have those stats on average, where-as PCs would be as much above average in those forms as they would be in their humanoid forms. Also when calculating for the hybrid form, we have to remember the size change. IE a gnome werecat in hybrid form should have a higher STR and lower DEX than a straight average of the two sets of stats would indicate.

you get all feats the naimal has due to high HD, and also get to pick new feats due to your new animal HD.
Blech! NO! BAD WotC, no biscuit! I totally agree that Wizard's is 'smoking something' here... I assumed, and still recommend, NO picked feats for animal HD in almost all cases. The exception would be for higher HD creatures where some feats may have been picked somewhat arbitrarily to fill out the number the animal should get according to its HD. In such a case the GM should allow the player to replace those arbitrary feats with ones of the player's choosing.

EDIT:

Regeneration: I'm using silver, fire and theri bypass for flavor mostly. The main point of this is making sure the theianthrope can come back unless you don't know how to kill it properly. As soon as it is unconscious delivering a coupe the grace will finish it off, as will burning the body (which is what the villagers will do, I can sense a monty-python moment coming). Basically, the mage can blast it with whatever he likes, when it's down he can kill it at his leisure by cutting its head off or stab it in the face with his table dagger.
Actually, by the SRD you can't Coupe de Grace something with Regeneration unless the weapon you are doing the Coupe de Grace with bypasses the Regeneration.

Norr
2008-08-27, 08:21 PM
@Sigurd: Well, Peter is the Wolf is set in a modern world, Pratchetts books are set on Discworld, which functions like the modern world in many ways. Also, how many werewolf movies are not set in the modern world?

@DracoDei:
Ability scores: I'm actually trying to reduce the therianthropes combat power, your suggestion would make it a tad too close to the WotC version for my taste.
Regeneration: Okay, you got me there. However, the party wizard can use any spel he likes (fire or not) to floor the therianthrope and then roast it over the campfire at his leisure (a 10HD therianthrope with enough nonlethal damage to go unconscious takes at least an hour to recover. It will never recover if you stab it every once in a while). Also, a therianthrope can die of massive damage regardless of the source, and the wizard is likely to land that kind of blow at earlier levels than everybody else.
Giants: I've checked out the giants and their racial HD, and don't think I need to change how therianthrope animal HD works. Also: troll therianthrope. regeneration 5/fire, silver or therianthope. Fire trolls are even worse. ;P

Also, I edited a number of things in the main post, and also hit the 50 000 character limit. Good thing I reserved that post. :P
The edits can be found under almost every post.

DracoDei
2008-08-27, 08:40 PM
Ability scores: I'm actually trying to reduce the therianthropes combat power, your suggestion would make it a tad too close to the WotC version for my taste.
Yeah, different goals...

Giants: I've checked out the giants and their racial HD, and don't think I need to change how therianthrope animal HD works. Also: troll therianthrope. regeneration 5/fire, silver or therianthope. Fire trolls are even worse. ;P
Is that really how Regeneration stacks?
Personally I would call it Regeneration 5 that effects all damage not by fire or acid and the acid damage is reduced to non-lethal damage that is NOT subject to the Regeneration 5 healing... Of course in the worst case this means you have 3 different types of damage to worry about, rather than just 2, but we all know I prefer precision to total simplicity usually...

Norr
2008-08-29, 11:52 AM
Ability scores and stuff: I can make a 'template template' that alters this therianthrope for use in higher-level campains, like your were-world and post it in your thread.

regeneration: Actually, what I meant was that it would be nigh-impossible to deal lethal damage to a fire troll therianthrope, let alone kill it. I think the only option would be a nondamaging save-or-die spell for such a creature. Now, how's that for chucking at the PCs, eh? ;)

DracoDei
2008-09-01, 07:31 PM
KO with non-lethal, and keep applying it, then strangle. Simply enough actually.

Edit: The "Template Template" sounds good I think, please do.

Norr
2008-09-05, 05:31 AM
Were-world therianthrope template template
This is a template for the therianthrope template and is intended for use in a high-powered were-world setting.

The were-world version of this template can be applied to monstrous humanoids as well as humanoids and giants.

HD
Alpha types do not recieve the extra animal HD.

Almost everyone will be an alpha therianthrope, the extra HD as a balancing point will be moot.

Special attacks

Curse of therianthropy: afflicted therianthropes become alphas when they become aware of their affliction. The affliction does not hibernate, but takes effect immediately.

Special qualities

Silver vulnerability: silver weapons do +1 damage to therianthropes. there are no penalty to attacks, AC or reflex saves for having silver in direct contact with the skin.

Abilities

Calculate ability scores like the WotC Lycanthrope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm).

Alignment

Treat alignment in all ways as the WotC lycanthrope does.

The whole point of the were-world is the people inoculate themselves with their preferred strains of therianthropy to avoid contracting the unsavory kinds (wererat etc). Therefore mandatory alignment stays a part of the were-world foundation.

Level adjustment

Therianthopes using the were-world variant gains a LA equal to half the base animals CR, rounded up.