PDA

View Full Version : and they all fell down (3.5 ed spell)

Stycotl
2008-08-26, 01:51 PM
Chained to the Earth
Transmutation
Level: Druid 5, Earth 5, Shugenja 5, Sorcerer/Wizard 6
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: full-round action
Range: 100 feet+10 feet/caster level
Target: You, and up to one creature or object/5 caster levels
Area: Medium
Effect: 100-foot+10-foot/caster level radius spherical emanation
Duration: 1 minute per level
Saving Throw: Reflex partial
Spell Resistance: No

An invisible sphere radiates outward from you, changing the physical properties of the air within it and causing airborne creatures and objects to drop to the earth.

You create a sphere around you that causes flying creatures and objects to fall, whether they are aloft by biological, magical, or mechanical means. Any suitable airborne target within the area of effect must succeed at a Reflex save each round in order to maintain flight. Failure means that the target loses its flight capability and begins to fall. If the creature or object succeeds at its saving throw, it can maintain flight, but movement is halved, and its maneuverability becomes two categories worse, to a minimum of clumsy.

You can designate up to one creature or object/5 caster levels (maximum 4 designated creatures or objects at 20th level) that is unaffected by this spell, including yourself if you so choose, at the time of casting.

insecure
2008-08-26, 01:56 PM
Target: You

Shouldn't that be "you and up to one creature or object/5 caster levels"?

Apart from that, I like the spell.

Stycotl
2008-08-26, 01:58 PM
gracias. missed that. EDIT: also, way to jump on that critique. that's probably the fastest response i've had on any website besides deviantart.

weishan
2008-08-26, 08:49 PM
For what it's worth, this isn't powerful enough for a 7th level spell. Several reasons:

-Falling damage caps at 10d6
-it allows a REF save each round
-it's very conditional in it's usefulness, and there's a distinct possibility that it won't be used often (except as a scroll)

With this in mind, there are several possibilities. You can lower the spell level to something apropriate (5th, I think but it seems very weak. If you lowered the duration, it would be 4th, maybe). Instead, say it accelerates the targets--doing damage in line with a 6th level spell plus effects, which would be close to seventh.

Stycotl
2008-08-28, 06:57 PM
hmm, interesting. mostly, i was measuring this up to the warlock invocation, the weighty word or whatever it was called, from dragon magic. that is a 4th level effect if i remember, and just affects one target. so i figured that this would have to be higher by a level or two to have it affect multiple targets, then even higher for the high radius emanation effect. 7th/8th seemed decent. but i am cool with hearing what others have to say about it. if there is a consensus on it being too high level, i'd gladly lower it.

also, the falling damage is not necessarily the most damaging effect--it is the fact that flying creatures can no longer fly--and you still can. and, the sphere moves with you. that, i believe, is quite a benefit.

SilentNight
2008-08-28, 07:09 PM
I wasn't aware falling damage had a cap. It's a very nice spell. Great for battlefield control.

DracoDei
2008-08-28, 07:12 PM
Last I checked the cap was 20d6, not 10d6 in most cases.

Stycotl
2008-08-29, 02:02 AM
I wasn't aware falling damage had a cap. It's a very nice spell. Great for battlefield control.

well thank you. i saw a tactical need, and pounced on it. i'm glad some people are finding a use for it. i was particularly pleased with myself for making it affect the area around the caster, instead of affecting the creatures in the area around the caster. this way, SR doesn't do squat.

Spiryt
2008-08-29, 04:55 AM
What with leaves and all stuff like arrows, spears, darts, which probably fall under the "mechanical means"? Do they fall as well?

Nychta
2008-08-29, 05:29 AM
I like this spell; I might ask for my sorceress to take this, just at a slightly lower level. Maybe 5th?

Stycotl
2008-08-29, 10:58 AM
What with leaves and all stuff like arrows, spears, darts, which probably fall under the "mechanical means"? Do they fall as well?

oooh, implicastions. hmm. hadn't even taken my brain in this direction. cookie awarded. i'm gonna have to ponder this. physically, it would still be possible to jump, throw things, etc. it would just be impossible to maintain lighter-than-air flight.

adding this or a similar clause to the spell:

Thrown weapons and other ranged attacks, including ranged effects, still operate as normal, unless they would remain aloft for more than their action (such as a dancing weapon, an animated shield, etc). Similarly, characters can still jump, but if an effect would extend their jump to last longer than one action, it fails, and they return to the ground.

what else should be added?

also, imagine using this spell in conjunction with a transmute rock to magma or similar spell...

Stycotl
2008-09-04, 10:31 PM
ok, i am changing the spell level slightly. it'll go 5th/6th instead of 7th/8th. it did seem pretty weak for a 7th/8th level spell after all. my playtesting was rather brief though, so if anyone has any doubts and thinks it should be maybe 6th/7th instead, let me know.