PDA

View Full Version : The Actual Vega North Campaign

Pages : [1] 2 3

neoseph7
2008-08-26, 03:31 PM
Roll for initiative.

The area is flat and white as far as the eye can see. Hexagonal Polygons allign themselves on the ground around you. You may decribe the setting further. I will have a simple hex grid up tomorrow.

Darkantra
2008-08-26, 03:46 PM
Slavomir Ibachov

Slavomir stands tall next to the steps into the tavern, his crimson cloak fluttering as stray wind catches it. The skies were overcast this day, but nothing could cast a pall on his spirit. Slavomir sniffs the clear winter air with his own air of contentment and shuffles his feet through the thin layer of snow over the cobblestones.

Ze farmer's guild, zere is so much room for improvement. Vere vonce vas chaos, zere vill be order.

[roll0]

MCerberus
2008-08-26, 04:09 PM
Darin Trisk

Darin sighs and leans against the tavern only to recoil against the cold stone. No matter how often that happens he never seems to be able to control his wanting to lean against something.

The rogue watches the passers, quickly scanning the closer ones for signs that they were the group's target. Leaning and recoiling once again, Darin turns to the others and remarks,

"Why don't we go over to the Way-Farer for a bit soon. The fire's usually bigger over there."

Initiative - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]

Slamexo
2008-08-26, 05:54 PM
Yivvix

As the bitter breeze bit into Yivvix's scales, he couldn't help himself but to shiver and hug himself tightly over and over again. The cold winds weren't suited for a cold blooded race like the kobolds, and yet here he was, standing outside in the icey air, waiting for the farmers' guild to come with their request.

They could've met anywhere else, but no! They had to meet outside the tavern! It couldn't be inside, it had to be outside!

Hearing Darin's suggestion, Yivvix decided he'd just wait inside the tavern itself whilst the more thermal races waited for their client.

"I'll be inside: this icey wind is getting the better of me. When the guys show up, come let me know please."

Being consistent, Yivvix stepped up the stairs and into the warm, welcoming tavern to wait for the farmers' guild's arrival.

Initiative = [roll0]

Feirgon
2008-08-26, 06:54 PM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

Looked around and his would be travelers. Having not actually been conscripted, the idea to 'tag along an help anyway' was his alone. Technically, he hadn't introduced himself yet except for the odd burst as they had been conscripted that offered his talents.

Judging the look on most of their faces, he could tell most of them were his age. The winters in the North tend to leave distinguishable marks of aging, the more you live through.

Jarold was bundled up pretty good, so he only watched as the kobold walked inside. Seeing as many of the group were bored and cold, Jarold began to sing a jaunty tune to pass the time.

"Life. It ain't easy. Oh it's so tough.
So whatcha gonna do? So whatcha gonna do?
Put a smile on your face, make the world a better place..."

Init: [roll0]
Perform (Sing): [roll1]
Perform (Drums): [roll2]

If he picks up any extra cash from good playing, bonus! :smallbiggrin:

Deathslayer7
2008-08-26, 08:16 PM
Cara Haldor

Shivering in the wind, Cara grumbles to herself. Of all people chosen to see to the request of the farmer's guild, it had to be her. Looking around her, she saw other members of the consricption standing around looking just as cold and gloomy as her. Behind her stood the tavern with the smeel of ale and veal drifting out. Out ahead of her, she saw other buildings, as cold and gray as the tavern behind her.

Oh well she thought.Nothing she could do about it now.

Trying to get her mind off the cold, she engages the others in conversation.

That wasn't so bad of a performance, I'm Cara. Any specific reason why your all here?

She wrapped her cloak about her tighter as she waited for a response.

[roll0]

Darkantra
2008-08-26, 08:55 PM
Slavomir Ibachov

Slavomir just smiles as the others complain about the cold. When Jarold starts his drumming Slavomir gets a strange vision of rank upon rank of men dressed in red and grey uniforms with strange furred hats marching in perfect cadence. When Jarold stops the vision fades leaving a wistful look on Slavomir's face.

"A very good tune my friend, but it is ze smile in ze heart zat ve must hold onto in zese troubled times," he gives a stiff bow, the cold hard hardened his armor, to Cara, "I am Slavomir Ibachov, I volunteered to help any citizens group zat might request it, ze farmer's guild just happened to ask first. Zere is not much call for varrior of ze gods during peace time, to tell ze truth."

With that the paladin rubs his gloved hands together and takes in a deep whiff of the potato and mushroom stew being brewed inside as Yivvix walks into the tavern.

"I hope zat ze guild arrives soon, ze Pickled Penguin," he nods his head towards the strange tavern sign of a wobbling penguin clutching a tankard, "Makes a vonderful soup alongside ze veal. If it gets any later zey might not have any left."

cbdb
2008-08-26, 09:45 PM
Brutus Fyrebaum

Brutus strode up to the group, his cloak fluttering dramatically in the chill wind. He narrowed his eyes as he looked around the assembly.

Yes this will be just the place to begin my search.

Initiative:[roll0]

MCerberus
2008-08-26, 09:53 PM
Darin Trisk

Leaning up against the wall yet again, Darin looks slightly (extremely) peeved. He kicks the seductive for leaning against wall to great effect. His foot hurts. After shaking his foot a bit, he turns towards Cara and responds,

"Pay's good, I think. Farmers have the city by the leg because they make the food. A lot of power comes with that."

While the last two speakers gave their names, Darin subtly did not. He takes a moment to think about what his new compatriots have been saying while still appearing to be dealing mostly with the wall. Darin then turned towards Slavomir.

"Anyone ever even seen a penguin before? I mean a real one."

Rolls better work >.>
[roll0]
[roll1]

neoseph7
2008-08-27, 12:24 AM
My intention was actually that the world around you, including the tavern, didn't exist yet. That there would just be shadows. After a simple battle, a door would appear, and walking out you would see the scene you guys just described. Going back through the door would lead to the tavern. Shame on all of you for not reading my mind. This still works though. There is enough cloud cover and it is far enough into winter that, while everyhting is visible, the Sun is not out in appreciable force.

Along the streets, walking towards the party is a thugish looking youth. He looks at you guys, and your coin pouches, and lifts up a rusty iron sword. He bears padded armor, that is so foul and worn, the stench is ruining the smell of the veal even though he's atleast 30' away from you. A small metal shield is tied in his off hand, a symbol of a hawk emblazoned upon it.

You guys can describe him further. I'm still trying to fall asleep, so a battlemap is still forth coming. Once it's up, you guys get to select where you are standing, preferably all within 10 ft of one another, but that's not an issue. I'm sure the more chaotic of the bunch will want to be climbing the roof of the tavern or hiding under a cardboard box 20ft away or something.

Darkantra
2008-08-27, 12:27 AM
Slavomir Ibachov

"Ah," Slavomir slides into the warm depths of memory, "I had ze good luck to see a troupe of ze legendary Penguin Knights of Lone Port Bay as a child. Regular penguins live on ze edge of ze tundra up north, but zese penguins are huge! As big as a pony, and ze knights would hitch zemselves to ze batle penguins and ride zem into battle. Vell, not so much riding, but sliding, but it is very dramatic. Someday..." Slavomir shakes his head and adopts a rueful smile, "Nevermind, but zey are vunderful animals."

^^^ happens before the sword guy shows up.

MCerberus
2008-08-27, 02:01 AM
Darin Trisk - HP: 8 Initiative 18

Vaguely nodding and following along with Slavomir's description of the great battle penguins of the north, Darin begins to track an odd looking figure approach the assembled adventurers.

Do I know that man? No. Most people I know don't keep a mushroom farm on their person.

Commenting over his shoulder to Slavomir, "Must taste like giant chicken." He motions towards the new figure and observes the thug eying the party's money. A stupid thug still has to be taken care of, but hopefully without drawing unnecessary attention.

Glaring at the... oh god the smell... thug, Darin simply says, "We're all armed. Keep walking unless you REALLY want to die."

[roll0]

Cespenar
2008-08-27, 06:11 AM
Rhah Talec

Wandering around the town, Rhah tried to find the meeting place for the Farmer's Guild job. It was in front of that tavern... that its name escaped him as of now.

I'm probably a bit late, he thinks, but doesn't actually speed up. After a minute or so, he finally sees the tavern sign, and beside the tavern stood a group of... five people? And another figure, who holds something in his hand was closing in on them.

Five against one? That's weird.

Rhah looks around expecting to see any other men of dubious outlooks. He then returns his gaze to the thug and decides only to watch the situation unless something surprising would come up.

[roll0]
[roll1] (if somehow needed)

cbdb
2008-08-27, 08:36 AM
Brutus Fyrebaum

Brutus sizes up his companions and turns to the youth with a grin.

If I know my stories, and I know my stories, then we are presently in media res. To arms my new comrades.
He gestures at the thug with his spear.

Deathslayer7
2008-08-27, 11:44 AM
Cara Haldor Int: 19 HP: 9

Why are you guys so quick to jump into battle. You should be more worried about any friends he has hiding in the dark rather than him.

spot:[roll0]

Feirgon
2008-08-27, 12:16 PM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

Jarold looks quizzically at the approaching youth. With apparent malice, the young male in his early 20's stared at his supposed victims.

Why would someone attack a large group or armed people in broad daylight?

Um, is he a fool or are we missing something?

Jarold looked around to see if he could spot a band of armed louts and as he did so, he began to sing a battle tune.

*Drum Roll*

I sing this song, in hopes that we do not fight.
But if we must, then we will show our might.
Though, plug your nose, for the smell will pass you out.
And try not to kill this very loony lout.

*Thoom, Thoom, Thack!* *Thoom, Thoom, Thack!*

Buddy your a boy, make a big stink. Pickin' fights in the street, gonna be a big man some day!
I ask you please, since you smell like cheese, otherwise we will kick your ass with ease.

We will, we will rock you!

On my initiative I will just be playing music. You know, for ambiance. Until a bigger threat shows itself, he will just be doing background music. Maybe he will even help in the brawl. So, to repeat, I am not using one of my daily bard songs.

Perform (Sing): [roll0]
Perform (Drums): [roll1]

...Hey don't give me that look! I only get one Bard song a day...I'm not wasting it on what appears to be a minor/easy fight :smallyuk:

And I'm pretty sure you guys can take him out without my sling or whip....:smallsigh:

Darkantra
2008-08-27, 01:00 PM
Slavomir

As the thug draws his sword Slavomir steps in front of the group and shrugs his shield from his shoulder and does up the arm straps. The smell from the man reminded him of compost heaps that had gone rotten, but Slavomir could tell what desperation looked like.

"Lumpenproletariat," Slavomir growls as he recognizes what the youth is, "Keep valking, at a tavern like zis zere vill be a guardsman or two and I at least am a trained varrior. Don't throw your life out into ze tundra for a few coins."

[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-08-27, 05:12 PM
I've been having the hardest time getting a webpage built that would show the battle grid. But, I do have one of two done and will link it below, in several file types:

PDF (http://plaza.ufl.edu/neoseph/North%20Vega%20Battle%20Map.pdf)
JPG (http://plaza.ufl.edu/neoseph/North%20Vega%20Battle%20Top1.jpg)
PNG (http://plaza.ufl.edu/neoseph/North%20Vega%20Battle%20Top1.png)

Just in case you guys can see it and I can't, my attempt at a webpage:

Site (http://plaza.ufl.edu/neoseph/Top%20down%20North%20Battle.html)

Oh. The light blue spots are where you may place your characters. In the event that there is a dispute over a spot between two characters, who ever rolled the lowest initiative (that's not a typo) gets the spot. Coordinates have been given for the enemy and several random peasents/people. This is so that you guys can see several working examples of the coordinate system I'm using. I would appreciate knowing where your characters start for a fight, and where they move to, as given in the format shown. If I have made erros, or if you guys have questions don't hesitate to send a line.

Feirgon
2008-08-27, 05:27 PM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

I will start in H-17. Also, I can access and see your website. And your your rooftops hurt my eyes...I am a firm beliver of objects and building not needing to fit the grid correctly....just saying.

Deathslayer7
2008-08-27, 05:44 PM
Cara Haldor

G 14 spot
INT 19
HP 9

Cespenar
2008-08-27, 05:53 PM
Uh, is it possible for Rhah to watch the fight from a bit far? Like P-18 or so. If it's not possible, I'll pick a hex, but he'd rather not engage the situation as of its current form.

neoseph7
2008-08-27, 06:01 PM
Uh, is it possible for Rhah to watch the fight from a bit far? Like P-18 or so. If it's not possible, I'll pick a hex, but he'd rather not engage the situation as of its current form.

You know what? Sure. Go ahead. I think I've denied enough stuff in this campaign. Further, if you like, you can be one of the "random people". I had hoped one of the off sites from the main section would be far enough, but if not, thats not a biggy. In the future, however, entire sides of the board will be the starting location, and in those situations I will not be able to allow a different location.

The website now works for me too. Gah!

Slamexo
2008-08-27, 06:41 PM
I'll have Yivvix start in F-10, but since he went into the inn which I'll assume is building A-5 Through D-10, I'm guessing he's not currently within view of the thug

cbdb
2008-08-27, 08:03 PM
Brutus will be at F-14 ... close to the enemy.

Darkantra
2008-08-27, 08:43 PM
Slavomir will start at E11, right up close to the evil smelling guy

neoseph7
2008-08-27, 11:03 PM
You guys all rolled higher than the Thug for initiative. You may all take your turns (The order is Slvomir, Cara, Darin, Jarold, Rhah, Yivvix, and Brutus). This was mostly an excerisize in showing everyone the grid, so your enemy is likely not going to see his turn. I will actually place your characters on the grid for the next fight Please still state what position your character is moving to on his turn.

I seem to have found the world's most difficult undergraduate course in Physics. Just my luck, I also found the supposed 2nd hardest (though that remains to be seen). It's the third day of class, and I have to pull an all nighter studying a chaotic pendulum. I may be be posting less often than normal, though still more than 1/day.

MCerberus
2008-08-28, 12:02 AM
Since I was leaning against the building and talking to Slavomir, it may make sense for him to be starting around f11.

Feirgon
2008-08-28, 09:45 AM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

neoseph, I think most people have already declared their actions...should we redclare and reroll our actions?

Most people seem to be taking a non-agressive approach.

neoseph7
2008-08-28, 07:30 PM
Most of those actions seems passive or pre-combat things. If not, The thug rushs Slavomir (closest if I'm not mistaken).

Attack roll=[roll0] Damage= if hit= [roll1]

Sorry if I'm taking too long to respond.

Deathslayer7
2008-08-28, 08:03 PM
Can you post on the website where everyone is. I confused as to where anyone is.

Cara Haldor Int: 19 Hp: 9

As for my turn, I will go to Slavomir and cast cure minor wounds on him. + 6 hp. Hooray! Cure minor wounds is useful. :smallbiggrin:

Darkantra
2008-08-28, 09:55 PM
Slavomir Ibachov

Waiting to see if his words would affect the thug proved to be a mistake. With a sneer the man charged forwards and deals a brutal slash that cuts under Slavomir's guard.

"Zat is it, for ze glory of Kalia you vill fall!"

Sorry I was going to post earlier today but life got ahead of me. I was going to ready an action to attack the thug if he came after me so that works out nicely... err, except for the getting hit part.

Move action to draw his sword and Standard to attack the thug.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Slamexo
2008-08-29, 04:19 AM
I'm just gonna make a listen check now for when my turn comes around to hear the fighting.

[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-08-29, 04:34 AM
I'm setting up the 3D grid and placing all the figures now. I cannot help but wonderif E-11 was really where Slavomir was supposed to start though. Dark: Did you mean E-13 or 14? if not, then you were not the closest to the thug, and thus were not hit. I apologize for the confusion.

neoseph7
2008-08-29, 05:00 AM
The maps have been updated, though Slav and Darin have yet to be placed.

Top Down (http://plaza.ufl.edu/neoseph/Top%20Down%20Perspective.htm)

Diagonal (http://plaza.ufl.edu/neoseph/Top%20Down%20Perspective.htm)

Deathslayer7
2008-08-29, 10:55 AM
maps arent working for me.

Darkantra
2008-08-29, 11:27 AM
Hmm I've never played on a hex grid before so I may have confusedly put myself where I shouldn't have been. Slav can take the hit though, so you can put him as the closest to the thug. And like deathslayer7 I can't seem to load either of the new maps.

neoseph7
2008-08-29, 12:05 PM
Drat. Looks like I have to complain about the images not loading before they do so. Or maybe... hmm... I think I know actually. When I get home I should be able to fix it. In the future, I hope to have a site that my sig will link to for battles. This, btw, is why I wanted to have a simple fight first. So that I could deal with these issues that aren't related to the game or rule mechanics. The weekend is upon us and last call is only at 2AM, so I should have plenty of time to get work with you guys.

neoseph7
2008-08-29, 09:30 PM
So much for that theory. I'll work on it over the weekend.

Does anyone else attack the thug on their turn?

MCerberus
2008-08-29, 10:40 PM

The thug is even dumber than imaginable... but a dead fool is still dead. Drawing Drekslash, Darin moves in with the others and stabs at the fool.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Feirgon
2008-08-30, 01:51 AM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

Seeing as he could do real harm to the thug, Jarold continued to give the battle some background music...

*Thoom* Thoom* *Thack!* *Thoom* Thoom* *Thack!*

Buddy you're an young man, poor man. Pleadin with your eyes, gonna give you some peace today!
You got mud on your face, you big disgrace, looks like we're gonna put you back into your place!

With a BAB of 0, I am not a very combative individual :P

So it is now Rhah's turn.

neoseph7
2008-08-30, 11:58 AM
As Darin's blade slashes at the thug, it slices cleanly through him, and the enemy is no more. Vanished into thin air. Neither body nor blood can be found. A loud, booming voice can be heard from far off, and getting closer. It carries all the malign of a sexually frustrated drill sergeant who has recently been withheld his daily allotment of coffee.

I AM THE LAW!

Approaching the party that was previously engaged in melee is a tall, well muscled man head deep in his mid forties. He bears a uniform that suggests he is a member of the White Steel Military Police Force, also called The Scarlet Hunters (or just Scarlets for a more insulting phrase).

As he nears the party, he begins to speak, in a rather soft and gentle tone.
"Hello gentlemen."Looking at Cara" M'lady. I am moderatly curious as to what you all are doing with your weapons drawn and spell pouches open, as if you were engaged in battle. Is there a problem?

Those who wish to hide, may make the appropriate check now. Further, descriptions of the surroundings and of the Scarlet would be most cool.

Just in caseit is confusing, the two sets of speach are coming from the same person. "I am the Law" was said in a very gruff and angry tone. The rest was spoken in a completely different, nice, casual tone.

Slamexo
2008-08-30, 12:59 PM
Does Yivvix hear the commotion outside or is he still unaware?

Second spot check if needed [roll0]

MCerberus
2008-08-30, 01:26 PM

When the thug disappeared into nothingness, Darin thinks fast and adjusts his balance for the lack of flesh to absorb his momentum. As the stench of the phantom fades, the aroma of veal starts to return. He turns to look down the street as he sheathes his sword, trying to see if there were any more surprises heading his way.

No more thugs were coming, and the road is calm. A few houses stretch forward along with a couple of businesses. The Drawferd's, a few he didn't know, his parents' inn the Wayfarer, a clothier he had been meaning to case. They all seemed calm, their thick wooden frames sitting in peace atop foundations of mined bedrock. Smoke plumes rise from some of the buildings, a sharp reminder of how cold it is today.

Just when it looked as though the coast was clear, the booming voice of one of the Scarlets breaks the calm.

The Scarlets. Used to be you knew where they stood, but half of them are on some crusade to be honorable. Business recently has been odd with them recently. You'd never know if you'd be arrested for giving them money.

Not wanting to take that risk just yet, Darin turns towards the officer and calmly describes the events happened... or at least what would get him off their backs the soonest.

"We've been waiting for someone from the Farmer's Guild. Considering the temperature we thought it would be a good time to practice our combat skills to keep us warm. I understand the city's interest in knowing this, though. Can't be too careful these days."

Realizing that he could be killing two birds with one stone, he continues, "There was a suspicious looking man here earlier. Had a hawk symbol on him."

[roll0]

Cespenar
2008-08-30, 03:46 PM
Rhah Talec

Seeing the thug suddenly disappear and another man approach the party, Rhah decides to get closer to hear what is being said.

[roll0] - If necessary

Deathslayer7
2008-08-30, 04:05 PM
Cara Haldor

There is no need to call me m'lady. Cara will do just fine. And who are you may I ask? It is impolite to not give ones own name. I only stepped in to heal Slavomir, who took a small wound.

Darkantra
2008-08-30, 11:03 PM
Slavomir Ibachov

Slavomir stares incredulously at the space where moments before a thuggish man with a truly horrible smell had sliced into him. Now there was nothing, almost as if the man didn't exist, even his smell was gone. Now the street started to again smell like snow, stew and veal.

As the Sergeant begins his questioning and Darin counters with his evasion Slavomir keeps a frown from his face and sheaths his shortsword and wooden shield.

I do not see vhy ve do not just tell him zat ve vere attacked by ze thug, even if he turns out to not be real. Oh vell, perhaps he does not like ze Military, plenty have reason to.

Slavomir stands straight to the older man in a militaristic manner.

"As my companion here says ve vere vaiting for ze Farmer's Guild member to arrive, and I apologize if ve have caused you trouble. Slavomir nods his head to the guard, "It is good to see ze Vhite Steel Military Police Force doing zeir duty, zough, ve had barely started vhen you came. Do not trouble yourself any further, if ve are causing distress zhen ve can vait inside vith a nice bowl of stew," he nods to Cara, "As ze healer says though, ve should exchange names. I am Slavomir Ibachov, a sword of liberty for Kalia, might ve have your name?"

I'm going to say that paladins devoted to Kalia are called Swords of Liberty by their church. Making a diplomacy check to impress the man with Slav's bearing.
[roll0]

Feirgon
2008-08-31, 11:25 AM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

Having been focusing on his music, Jarold didn't even notice the thug dissapearing. So it was to his surprise when he regained his focus and saw a Scarlet in his place. Jarold's music slowly faded into quiteness as he became instantly distracted by the physique of the law enforcer.

While his arms were two sizes too big for his body, his legs were two sizes to small. And to top it all off (excuse the pun) was a large red feather in his hat; it was hard not to notice.

Scarlets. Now I get it!

neoseph7
2008-08-31, 02:13 PM
My apologies m'l... Cara. Tis naught but standard procedure. I am Sergeant Major Major Sergeant (military father, don't cha know). I don't know anything about the Farmer's Guild, to be honest.

Now, sparing on the streets is a 7th degree misdemeanor, but... doing the paper work to bring in this many combatants, and a Holy Dodeca Knight to boot. You even have a certified healer in your midst, just in case something unfortunate would happen. It's not worth it, so I'm giving you guys a warning. In the future though, please limit your training exersizes to the Academy Combat room, or designated areas marked by yellow fieldposts near the centre courtyard.

A man with a hawk insignia you say? Most weapons and armor bear the symbol of their smith. I have seen no less than 17 Bears, 42 Lions, and 376 Dragons on the armor of the new recruits for this season. Unfortunatly, a hawk doesn't give much for a description. I'll keep an eye out though.

You are more than welcome to remain outside in this frigid wench of a season, but I would recomend staying inside and enjoying that stew.

Good day citizens.

After looking around a bit, the Scarlet walks off into the main street.

Cespenar
2008-08-31, 03:08 PM
Rhah Talec

With the problem solved, Rhah finally makes his way to the group and addresses them as together.

"Hey, you people are here for the Farmer's Guild too? Happy to meet you, I'm Rhah Talec." Twirling the staff happily in his right hand, he extends his left hand to the nearest person.

"So, what was all that about? I saw that odd character slashing away at... (you, sir, what was your name again? (gesturing at Slavomir)), and he then just disappeared?

J-H
2008-08-31, 06:18 PM
Willem
As the guard walks off, the group sees another figure approach. He appears a bit wide, and the very large hammer he is carrying certainly looks heavy, but it's not until he walks past a cart being pulled by a draft animal that they realize he's at least half a head taller than the rest. His size combines with his pale, bald head to make him rather distinctive.
"Good afternoon, lady and gentlemen. I am Willem, guard to Taylos Garal of the Farmer's Guild. He sends his regrets, but he couldn't be here today due to an unfortunate gastric incident. Fairly similar to why you are here in some details.

Shouldn't there be one more of you? I was given a specific number of people to meet.

As you know, bat guano is one of the more valuable resources for our farmers. The bats take inendible plants and insects, and turn them into fertizer that's valuable to our farms both on and below the surface.

A particular cave in the Figmaticus district has recently seen a dramatic drop in production. Something has been disturbing the bats. We don't know what. That is why you all are here.

Mr. Garal and I will be accompanying you to ensure that the governing rules of the cave complex are upheld."

He looks upwards for a moment, and then speaks again, obviously quoting something.

Killing or harming any of the bats is strictly illegal, punishable by 42 years in the fields followed by a writ of execution. Stealing the guano, or tampering with collection equipment is similarly illegal.

Mr. Garal will meet us near the cave tomorrow morning, if he's feeling better.

Deathslayer7
2008-08-31, 09:30 PM
Then let us go she says as she smiles warmly.

Darkantra
2008-09-01, 01:05 AM
Slavomir Ibachov

"Very vell Sergeant Major Major Sergeant, ve vill not do it again."

Slavomir gives the Scarlet Hunter a happy wave goodbye and then turns to the two men who just approached their little group. He raises an eye at the large maul bearing man but reaches out to shake both mens hands.

"I am Slavomir Ibachov, devotee to Kalia. It is good to meet ze two of you."

After Willem finishes his explanations Slavomir claps his hands once and smiles.

"Excellent, zen ve are going to ze tunnels tomorrow, yes? Vhy don't you both join us, ze kobold fellow is already vaiting inside and ve vere just vaiting to have ze representative from ze Farmer's Guild to do so ourselves."

Slavomir heads up the steps and puts a hand on the thick wooden door, ready to enter. He waves the others towards the door.

"You have to try ze soup, it is truly amazing."

J-H
2008-09-01, 08:34 AM
Willem
"Soup? Sounds good. It had better come in large bowls, though."

neoseph7
2008-09-01, 01:37 PM
You guys may have in-character dialogue or whatever at this point. Become more acquainted with each other, and what-not. When you are ready, please include a phrase to the effect of "Later the next day" and a description of the City parts you walk through.

To give a little help in that matter, you guys get to walk through several districts (more if you don't know where you are going, less if you are a native and know a shortcut). You can also follow someone who knows where they're going. The caves are located underground, likely in a gated area beyond the slums (which are underground). In addition to the usual slum stuff in a DnD setting, the caves tenbd to have mushrooms and other fungus growing about. Some edible, some toxic. I also encourage the description of random people you might walk past, specifically how they react to you guys moving near them. Have fun.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-01, 06:01 PM
Well then. I guess I myself can use some soup.

Cara says to the group. Looking concerned at Slavomir.

If that wound still bothers you, I can finish healing it if you allow me.

cure minor wounds if he lets me, + 6 hp

She then enters the tavern followed by whomever comes, and finding the biggest table, she sits herself down and signals the waiter.

I'll have the soup if you don't mind.

If anyone wants anything, order.

Darkantra
2008-09-01, 11:37 PM
Slavomir Ibachov

Slavomir smiles at Cara and nods, accepting the healing.

"Thank you Cara, it iz very kind of you to heal my vound," once she is done Slavomir follows her inside.

The inside of the tavern smells wonderful, the blend of savory mushroom and supple veal sets his mouth watering. The tavern was familiar to him, and he nodded to some of the familiar faces that he saw around each table.

The inn was built strangely, but soundly. The common room and bar were on the main floor but the kitchen lay beneath the wooden planks that everyone stood upon. A number of flues around the room let the hot kitchen air rise into the main floor to heat it and arromate the room with the smells of stew and other food. Slavomir gives Rhet the waiter a slap on his arm by way of greeting as their group sits down.

"Stew for me Rhet, vith the veal in it please. A loaf of rye bread for ze table and a knob of butter vould be great as vell. I vould also like a Penguin's Breath Ale if you have ze keg cracked."

Slamexo
2008-09-02, 04:29 AM
Yivvix had been waiting inside the inn for a few minutes now: it wasn't that much warmer than the air outside to him, but it was definitly an improvement. Seeing the others start to come in, he assumed the farmer's guild had already been and went.
Well, at least this way I didn't have to go back outside

Moving over to the table where Slavomir and Cara were already seated, Yivvix sat himself on the chair next to him and began talking.

"Hello you two; have the farmer's guild already come and gone then?"

Cespenar
2008-09-02, 04:29 AM
Rhah Talec

"Ahh..." Rhah blows a faint whistle at the sight and smell inside the inn. He looks around and at every detail, in an almost tourist-like manner. He takes notice of the hot air blowing flues and smiles. "Smell and heat conservation. Good thinking." he mutters to himself with the smile still on his lips.

With the arrival of the waiter, Rhah fumbles for a second or two in indecision.

"Hmm, I'd have a soup too then, thanks." He grimaces at the mention of ale, but doesn't say anything.

neoseph7
2008-09-02, 04:52 AM
Just so you guys know, you can take all the time you like. There is no rush at all. Heck, if you wanted to blow off the Farmer's guild, that can be arranged. (if you do want to do so, please tell me so that I can prepare something else. Further, if you guys had an idea for what you wanted to do, that would be useful too.) I will have some better encounters up your ally soon enough, especially once I fix the battle page.

J-H
2008-09-02, 07:44 AM
Willem
When asked what he wants, Willem indicates that he wants what everyone else is having. Yes, one of each of those dishes.

"You are...Yivvix? I am the guild representative's guard. We'll be heading for the Figmaticus district in the morning to look into a problem with a particular cave complex."

neoseph7
2008-09-02, 02:04 PM
Yay! I finally made an avatar look good on the forum. I will try to resize everyone's that I sent out, or was going to but didn't because they looked like crap and I wanted to fix it. These will be used on the battle map, and I'm that much closer to having it ready.

MCerberus
2008-09-02, 09:23 PM
Darin

Darin stays to the side and slightly more silent than normal as the Guild representative arrives. He sizes up the new arrival, and makes no effort in hiding this to Willem. Following the others, he orders stew and flips a gold to the waiter. As the coin flips to the waiter, he casually remarks to the waiter, "Extra thick. Let's get a round as well for new business."

Of course, this would count as buying food illegally to most law enforcers. Good thing nobody cares. Rationalizing, Darin thinks "Soup here's thin if they don't like you. Good to keep on their good side."

Getting to business, Darin leans in and asks Willem, "We going in blind? What do we know about what's happening? If we don't know anything, it might be dangerous. Danger pay can get expensive."

Deathslayer7
2008-09-02, 09:38 PM
Cara nodded, if not quite fully agreeing. It's not smart to go into this territory without at least knowing something about it. Tell us what these bat caves are like, and the terrain surronding it if you can.

neoseph7
2008-09-02, 10:37 PM
I asked J-H to give the info he presented for his intro into the campaign, in order to work him in. The guild representative you will meet will fill you in on the details.

J-H
2008-09-03, 07:44 AM
Willem
The large bald man shrugs as he eats, and pauses long enough to speak. "They're caves. Underground, just like the slums and the mines...all interconnected just like the rest of underground. A few streams running through them, dim to dark depending on whether lanterns or fungi are around. Bats in them, and whatever might be causing problems for the bats. I don't know specific details about the guano farm we're going to. My employer should be able to give us more information tomorrow."

Deathslayer7
2008-09-03, 10:12 AM
doesn't seem like many people are posting.

Cara Haldor
After some polite conversation, and eating the good soup, which filled her belly with warmth, Cara felt tired. The biting wind took a lot out of you, and to heal on top of it.

Sighing, she stands and thanks everyone for the good meal. She asks for what time she needs to be at the bat caves tomorrow. Still thanking htem, she says its time for her to go to bed.

With that, she leaves for home. After she gets an answer of what time.

Feirgon
2008-09-03, 11:00 AM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

Jarold had followed the group into the tavern and even had oredered himself some stew. He had yet to formally introduce himself to the collective, but he was fascinated by watching each one. So he sat quietly with the group, enjoying his stew and discerning each individuals mannerisms.

After everyone had finished with their meals, everyone went in different ways back to their abodes. Jarold figured he might as well get to bed also, to be ready early in the morning.

It was yet night, but the cold air of dusk was enough to keep most people in their homes or, at least, encouraging them to walk briskly to their houses. Though Jarold fought the urge to take the quickest route home. Instead, he decided to walk along the main streets to get to his home. Walking along the main street, he was sure he would come across more people. Unfortunately, it was really cold and what few people were outside were in no mood to converse.

He did come across Old Man Frent, the resident 'story teller' for White Steel, limp out of Tavern Inn the Sky. His leg never fully healed since last year when he slipped on some ice. But that didn't stop him from making his usual rounds to each tavern, telling stories, and even making a little money. Frent tipped his brown bowler hat, with the hand not holding onto the crutch, at Jarold as he passed him by. Jarold smiled back. The report between entertainers was small, but it was still their.

Having walked three blocks down Main Street, Jarold turned left onto Hobbe Street. Hobbe Street was a unique place, it was mostly a residential street, but it was one of the few streets that was intigrated betwen many different races; human, elf, halfling, and even a few kobolds. Jarold walked the five blocks to his home and retired for the night.

If someone wants to walk with Jarold or follow him, this is the path he takes.

Slamexo
2008-09-03, 01:14 PM
Yivvix

Giving everyone who joined the table a polite nod, Yivvix opted out of the unsatisfying looking gruel and instead sat listening to the conversation, occasionally glancing in the direction of the halfling who also seemed to be following suite. After finding out the time to meet in the morning, he set off back to his home for the night.

The air outside hadn't warmed up in the time he'd been in the building, and when the icy wind bit into his scales again he huddled over as he walked through the snow frittered streets. He passed many over civilians, getting a few odd glances for being a kobold above ground, but Yivvix paid them no heed; he was more focused on getting back home to his warm room.

Eventually, he arrived at one of the buildings that led underground to the slums. Going through proper entry procedure was a regular experience to the kobold, and he was down the stairs and out of the cold air in just a few minutes.

Down below the surface, the sight of a kobold was hardly an oddity to the rest of the civilians, considering most if not all of them were kobolds themselves. Paying no-one any particular notice, who likewise returned the favour, the walk home was an uneventful one as he eventually arrived at his apartment. Once inside, he rested for his regular hour of meditation to calm his mind before he slept, then crawled into his thinly covered bed and drifted off into slumber until the next day.

neoseph7
2008-09-03, 02:25 PM
I will assume at about 8PM EST my time (maybe later) that everyone has gathered a predetermined location to meet with the Guild Rep the next day (This location isn't important, but will be at the Figmaticus District Forum Hall, a large building with a giant meeting hall, in addition to about a dozen smaller rooms, one of which you guys will be in).
It will be assumed that everyone is there, and that afterwards everyone travels down to the gate of the Cave in question. If your character concept will crumble in the face of this railroading, PM me with what your character actually does.

In reference to the caves, you will in fact be fighting things (What kind of DnD campaign wouldn't have random encounters with 1d3 dire camels?) I will be implementing a slight homebrew template, called Cave Type, which only applies to animals. Certain creatures which shouldn't live in underground caves now do so. The difference to their statistics is as follows:

Blind (no regular, low light, or dark-vision)
Blindsight
Underwhelming sight (the homebrew)

Underwhelming Sight is as follows: The creature cannot be flanked or caught flat footed (as per the blindsight) by the first 3 attacks of the round by creatures of the same size as it. Large creatures count as two against a medium creature, Huge count as four, etc.; small creatures count as 1/2 to a medium sized opponent, tiny counts as 1/4, etc.. The attacks after the attack that breaks this limit are treated as if coming from invisible attackers.
The Aid Another action (normally used to apply heal checks and give AC bonuses in combat) can be used to Overwhelm an opponent. To use the Overwhelm action, make a melee attack against AC 10. While the attack deals no damage, it counts as double the normal amount for that character to overwhelm an opponent with Underwhelming Sight.
Let's see an example:

Alex, Bethany and Cliff are fighting Dire Cave Camel #752. A, C, and D are medium. B is small. The round order is B, A, D, C. Because the Camel has blindsight, it saw them coming, and is not flat footed.
B uses a sling against D. This attack counts as 0.5 to the Overwhelm limit, and even though B is a rogue within 30ft, she doesn't get to sneak attack. A steps up and attacks the Camel with his sword. The attack brings the Overwhelm limit to 1.5 It's D's turn, and the limit drops to 0. He takes his turn as normal. C decides to try something different, and uses a spear to Aid Another: Overwhelm from 10ft of the creature. The limit is now at 2. B drops the sling, moves to flank D, pulling out a short sword while moving, and attacks. The limit is now at 2.5, and B still gets no sneak attack. A takes his turn, and attacks. The limit is now at 3.5 (broken), and subsequent attacks would get the bonus of being invisible, though A's doesn't this turn. Unfortunatly, it is D's turn again, and the limit is at 0 again. C casts enlarge person on A for his action. B delays to after A's turn. A uses Aid Another: Overwhelm, setting the limit to 4. B now takes her turn, and is considered invisible to D. Her sneak attack goes through, and the opponent is a puddle of goo.

addendum:
Multiple attacks break the limit sooner. Total Defense actions triple the limit for that turn.

Ok. That should be what you guys need to know for now. If you have any questions, drop a line.

Darkantra
2008-09-03, 09:49 PM
Slavomir Ibachov

Over the course of their meal Slavomir spent as much time talking to the others of their newly formed group as he did the staff of the Pickled Penguin. Slavomir had more than one pint of Penguin's Breath ale, and by the time everyone had finished their meals he was in the land of the happily drunk.

As they all leaves he gives a few of the staff a modest tip and clasps arms with a few of them before going himself. Though his mind was in a bit of a haze Slavomir walked with a confident stride that barely showed any sign of his drunkenness. As he walked to the north-west towards Temple Hill he passed by two beggars, people who hadn't taken advantage of the warehouses that had been converted to homeless shelters for whatever reason. To each of them he bent down and placed a silver ration ring.

"Don't let yourself die in ze cold, get a meal and report to one of ze temples in ze morning, zey all have work zat anyvone can do. Zis vorld is harsh, so take care of yourself."

As he neared Temple Row Slavomir took a slight detour to a nearby guard station to meet up with an old friend. Gavin Truebold had joined the guard around the same time that Slavomir had gone into the church. They had both grown up in the same orphanage and Gavin had been one of the few kids to stick around Slavomir after his accent developed. Though Gavin was on duty Slavomir kept him company for a half hour as they talked about old times and what each of them were doing now.

By the time he left his old friend the skies were already a deep black and night had taken the landscape completely. There were still few lampposts that had been lighted to provide a little light on the snow filled streets but they seemed to intrude on the quiet streets with their illumination. Slavomir entered temple row with a smile, nodding to the people who hastily passed him with hoods drawn low against the cold and against their identities. People who went to Temple Hill at night were those who didn't want the be seen doing so during the day.

Temple Row was a block that contained each of the major temples in the city. The temples to the martial gods were larger and more ornate than the others but a building existed on the block for every accepted faith in the north. He walked in quietly, hastily knocking snow off of his boots as he walked into the temple proper. He smiled to the priestess on duty and continued onto his room.

Due to the lack of men interested in Kalia's faithfull having Slavomir join them had provided an interesting problem. In deference to both his privacy and that of the younger girls in the clergy they had a room hurriedly made by bricking off a portion of the storeroom. Slavomir carefully removed his armor in his room, which smelled of tallow and flour, and knelt in prayer to his goddess for ten minutes before getting into his cot and falling asleep.

I would have posted earlier but I fell asleep while reading a couple of hours ago, sorry to hold things up.

neoseph7
2008-09-03, 11:20 PM
The next morning in the District Forum.

After moving the meeting to the park outside (overbooking), The Veal Stew Band finally got to have a chat with the Farmer's Guild Representative. After the Rep explained why he couldn't make it yesterday (something about his daughter's ukulele recital?) which had to be the longest 10 minutes your adventuring careers, he finally got down to buisness:

"Gentlemen. As my guard already told you, this mission we have for you is of the utmost importance to us. You are to find the cause of the disturbance in the mines. For this task, you will each be paid 10 gold. Should you nullify or remove the disturbance, in by any method, means, or ends that don't hinder the Guild or City in anyway, you will each be paid 100 gold.

As for the mine itself. The southern section is the bat caves. There is a northern section that is gated off. Now, normally I would tell you that you can't go there, but thats only off limits to us because of safety concerns. I'm willing to bet whatever is bothering my bats, erm, ahem, excuse me. The bats. Is coming from the northern section. Yes it is risky. No you will not recieve "hazard pay". If you don't like it, we can garner some other set of peasent warriors.

Maybe thats a bit harsh. ::sigh:: Look. My job is really on the line here, and performance interviews are next week. Get this done before then, and I will sweeten the deal. For every vile nasty down there bugging my bats you bring to me dead, I'll give you 20gp. Remember: ABSOLUTLY NO KILLING OF MY... erm... THE BATS. And don't even think about stealing any guano. Willem will be accompaning you all to the caves, and will be keeping an eye out for anything funny, if you get my drift. I have given him the key to the gates, and he knows how to get there. Happy Hunting. With Grace and Grain, Gods Above be with you to The End.

The next post will assume you all have made your way to the front gate of the caves. You may ask the rep any questions you wish, and may ask the locals around the cave about anything you wish (gather information). If you can think of anything else you want to do, you can probably do it too if ligit. Feel free to ask me questions of you don't get anything. I cannot see what you see (or don't see) from what I say, and I can forget to mention details that are important.

As always, descriptions of surroundings, people, environment, etc. are well appreciated.

Cespenar
2008-09-04, 04:10 AM
Rhah Talec

Having spent the night in the well-heated room of the Pickled Penguin, Rhah couldn't bring himself to sleep easily, probably because of the need to reflect on the day to ease up his mind. The result in the morning was a half-slept Rhah rubbing his eyes on the way to the see the Guild Representative while drinking a mixed herbal tea from one of his waterskins which is supposed to help in these kinds of situations. Listening through the representative's daughter's... something, he almost falls back to sleep but barely manages to recover.

Giving rest of the speech half a ear, he joins the band as they move on to the caves. On the way, though, he starts to fully regain his senses thanks to the blowing, biting wind, which gives Rhah the feeling that it's almost colder than the night. The sun, sending out its mocking rays, seems to help the situation not even one bit but giving false hope. He looks around at the people who are either already ready for work or getting to it, and tries to think for a moment and wonder about what kinds of lives they're living.

Feirgon
2008-09-04, 04:50 PM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

Waking bright and early, Jarold prepared for the day. Unsure of how long he would be in the caves, he bought a few days worth of dry rations and headed to the meeting place.

Unfortunately, he showed up a little late. Fortunately, the guild rep hadn't actually said anything important. Though the words 'ukele' and 'recital' caught Ja's ear, he soon realized the story was beyond boring as he watched Rhah nearly doze off in the middle of it. So, while the representative told his mundane story, Jarold dissappeared into his imagination..

He has a very vivid and wild imagination. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O-hCtPfef8)

He snapped out of it in time to hear the important details.

Thus begins Jarold's epic and grand adventure!

Or so he thought to himself, though he couldn't hide his smile...

I figure someone should point out my presence at this point. Keep in mind if you ignore him, he won't go away. He would be quite content and watching you guys do your thing and helping out when he can (think Jane Goodall). But as a player, this would not be my prefered play style...I guess it's my fault for making the character that way...

Also, I bought 3 days worth of dry rations. Which raises a question, since I am small do I need less food to survive? I'm assuming the average medium sized adventurer needs 15 rations a day, please tell me if this is wrong.

neoseph7
2008-09-04, 05:27 PM
I figure someone should point out my presence at this point. Keep in mind if you ignore him, he won't go away. He would be quite content and watching you guys do your thing and helping out when he can (think Jane Goodall). But as a player, this would not be my prefered play style...I guess it's my fault for making the character that way...

Umm. I don't know what to say. This is one of those issues that crops up in PbP games. Few long posts don't make up for the Many short things a person says at a game table. To be honest, your character's presence in the party can be as large or small as you write in. I'm not going to force party relations in any direction.

Also, I bought 3 days worth of dry rations. Which raises a question, since I am small do I need less food to survive? I'm assuming the average medium sized adventurer needs 15 rations a day, please tell me if this is wrong.

That should be covered in the North Vega file I posted. 5 Rations is a single meal for an adventurer, and thus 15 should be the right amount for the day. (It's 12.5 it the meals are joined together and shared amongst the party. Someone is bound to like liver hagus). Small creatures need 1/2 as much as medium creatures. Conversely, the same amount of food feeds a small creature twice as long as it feeds a medium creature.

I hope that answers your questions.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-04, 06:04 PM
Cara Haldor

Cara listened intently to the guild representative. It wouldn't help her if she did a bad job here and her commander found out later about it. Even so, she found it quite boring listening to him comment about his bats. As if. O well, a job is a job she thought.

J-H
2008-09-04, 06:40 PM
Willem
Willem smirks slightly at the lame excuse for yesterday's non-appearance, thinking to himself. Ukelele, right... Maybe if she was playing in an toilet, which is the only place he saw for most of yesterday.

Darkantra
2008-09-04, 09:26 PM
Slavomir Ibachov

Slavomir woke to the chef of the temple banging against his door. It was as good a wake up call as any, and he didn't mind that the temple kept the dried fruits in his room, it just made it easier for him to wake up in the morning. He donned another set of clothing and his armor before going into the mess hall for his morning repast.

The high priestess led them all in a prayer thanking the free men and women who cultivated their food before everyone dug in. Slavomir chatted with some of the priestesses at the table about what they were all doing to help the city, and when it came time for the high priestess to speak the traditional end of meal prayer (one that emphasized that women were as good or better than men and it was the duty of the clergy to show it) Slavomir spoke it a little self-consciously.

With a full stomach the first ten minutes of the meeting turned out to tax even the paladin's ability to listen and Slavomir wondered if the bats would all die of old age while the man talked. Though bored Slavomir listened intently to the representative's explanation of the situation while trying to gauge how much of his tale about his daughter's ukelele playing was the truth.

"I have only ze vone question, if ve find vhatever is disturbing ze bats and zey are too big to carry out vould you accept something like a left ear perhaps?"

Once the party move out Slavomir makes a point of trying to get to know his new companions.

"I am a sword of truth liberty pledged to Kalia, zough I think most of you remember form last night. It vould be my pleasure to hear vere you all come from though. I ve are to vork together then ve must no one another, ya?"

The roads had plenty of people on them despite the chill, though the bundled up forms made it difficult to distinguish between the huddled forms.

Sensing motives on the farmer's rep for the hell of it

[roll0]

Deathslayer7
2008-09-04, 10:38 PM
Cara

As you already know, I am a healer. I work in the military aspect of [insert city name here. Forgot it. :smalltongue:], and have done so for the past few years. I recently got into a little shouting match with my superior and thus here I am now.

neoseph7
2008-09-04, 11:53 PM
"I have only ze vone question, if ve find vhatever is disturbing ze bats and zey are too big to carry out vould you accept something like a left ear perhaps?"

Well my good komrade, I would be happy to accept the head or similar proof that the creature is dead. It's not that hard to live without a left ear.

Feirgon
2008-09-05, 09:37 AM
Jarold "Ja" Haythorn

The name's Jarold Hoythorn. The overly enthusiastic halfling said, the wide smile still occupying most of his face. But most people just call me Ja. I'm a musician, if you haven't guessed, and I grew up here in White Steel Port. When I heard about the bat problem, I figured I could help out a bit.

This was not exactly the truth. A more accurate statement would have been, "When I came across you guys, I figured I should follow you and join in your adventures." But he didn't want to seem like an over-enthusiastic halfling just out looking for adventure...

MCerberus
2008-09-05, 11:51 AM
Darin

Darin kind of wanders as the the representative starts making excuses. Darin recalls stories about his daughter's ukulele playing. While causing a man to confess who had been in an "interrogation room" for 3 days is likely a fanciful myth, it is all too often that those are true.

A while later and a few IQ points lower for having to listen to the guildy, Darin starts paying attention. Disregarding the quip about "peasant warriors," Darin more imagines what the disturbance is. He thinks it's probably something sentient. What truly intrigues the rogue is the erm... bats. With one eyebrow raised, Darin tries to read into the representative.

"Right. Well you've got a security specialist for this. Getting a bit dull around here as of late."

Not particularly thrilled with the description of this job, Darin thinks that this may lead to more jobs in the future. Additionally, any job is a good job when you need to save.

[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-05, 11:59 AM
I don't know who's motives you guys are trying to sense, but the forum rolling Gods are not smiling upon you.
MC: I cannot tell whether your character is unappreciative of the job, or the player. But I will tell you this. There is always more to my campaign that what is on the surface. Dig a little, and this will get down right trippy.

Feirgon
2008-09-05, 12:18 PM
I don't know who's motives you guys are trying to sense, but the forum rolling Gods are not smiling upon you.
MC: I cannot tell whether your character is unappreciative of the job, or the player. But I will tell you this. There is always more to my campaign that what is on the surface. Dig a little, and this will get down right trippy.

If your idea of trippy is digging through bat guano, I think I would be quite content with staying on my feet. Thank you.

MCerberus
2008-09-05, 01:21 PM
I'm quite content with this, but Darin himself may not think that going around bat guano is the apex of adventure. Well and he's sort of a jerk.

neoseph7
2008-09-05, 01:48 PM
If your idea of trippy is digging through bat guano, I think I would be quite content with staying on my feet. Thank you.

I meant digging in a metaphorical sense. My ideasof trippy do not involve digging through bat guano

Darkantra
2008-09-05, 01:50 PM
That does depend on what the bats are eating though. If they're eating mushrooms with hallucinogenic properties then their feces must give off a trippy smell

neoseph7
2008-09-05, 11:04 PM
You guys have to opportunity to ask locals in the area about the caves, or do anything else you can think of before hitting the caves. If not, here's the Link for the Cave as explored so far (you've just entered region 1). A link will be set in my sig eventually for a site dedicated to just the Campaign.

Bat Cave (http://plaza.ufl.edu/neoseph/Cave%20Map%201.html)

The description I'm giving is assuming you guys have entered the cave. You can still take actions as if that hadn't happened yet. As always, descriptions of the scenery are well appreciated.

The Darkness is broken only by torch light. The gate behind opened with a loud *clink*, and shut with a slow *creak*. Stalagmites and Stalagtites riddle the room, in addition to a few tools that have seen better days. Green and Red guano paint a disturbing shade of lavender in the center of the room. Few bats seem to occupy this main entrance. Nothing else of great interest is in the room.

There are three paths leading off to the west, a north west, center, and south west path.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-05, 11:27 PM
Will buy some torches (3) before i get there.

Cara

Looking around, Cara can immdieately tell that the temperature has dropped a few degrees celsius. The room looks used, as the stalgmites/stalgtites arent that big.

Seeing the three paths, she says

Do we split up or stick together? And which tunnel do we go down?

Slamexo
2008-09-06, 05:18 AM
Yivvix

Gazing around the caves, Yivvix felt a sense of depression to himself. When he went to go see the world, he didn't expect his first task to revolve around sludging through bat guano at waist height.

"I would suspect that the center passage has what we're looking for. If we do split up, I'll head down there with whoever."

J-H
2008-09-06, 09:08 AM
Willem
"Good thought on the torches, Cara. I think most of the areas down here will have some form of light source. The workers who harvest the guano have to see, and they typically need one hand to scoop it and another hand to hold the sacks they put it in."

Looking at the relatively tall and well-used center passage, Willem agrees with the kobold. The left passage has almost no stalagmites visible inside it, probably because, at just over 6' tall, it's relatively short and cramped. Not a good place for a tall man who doesn't have a helmet.

Aside from the guano, the cave is mostly brown in color, with dark patches where thousands of hands have brushed along corners and sides through the past few hundred years, and streaks of soot where torch brackets are or used to be located. There are a few glints of what appear to be worthless quartz formations off to the side, and 3 or 4 of the stalactites give of the light sheen that shows that water is still passing through this cave.

"If what we are looking for can hear, we had best be quiet so that we don't sneak up on it. We should whisper, and try to move more quietly."

Too bad we don't have a wizard with "Darkvision" and "Invisibility." We could use that for a couple of scouts.
edit: bleh, messed up the roll

J-H
2008-09-06, 09:09 AM
[roll0] Not going to be good at this

Darkantra
2008-09-06, 12:03 PM
Slavomir Ibachov

As the group nears the entrance to the batcave Slavomir stops next to the guards, both kobolds.

"Ve vere sent be ze farmer's guild to see vhat vas ze problem vith ze bats. Have you noticed anything out of ze ordinary in ze last little while? Vhat kind of creatures can ve expect down zere?"

Once they enter the mine's Slavomir takes one whiff of the bat dung and sneezes.

"Quite pungent, ya?"

Slavomir straps his shield onto his arm and lays a hand on his shortsword.

"Splitting up may be a bad idea, since ve have no idea vhat may be disturbing ze bats. Let's go through each room vone at a time, and try ze bottom room first, so ve can do a sweep through ze area starting from zere."

Diplomacy for the guards and a move silently for this room

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sorry, no time for descriptions, I've got to head to work.

neoseph7
2008-09-06, 03:38 PM
One of the guards posted at the entrance to the caves (a one Airen Bladderschyte) happens to have been a miner back in the old days, before the famine. While most of his attention seems to be Cara, as well as most of his speech, he does talk about how the caves were initially iron mines, shut down when they lost productivity, opened again for fungus farming during the Famine, and then converted over to guano production as the fields on the surface started to thaw again. For this process, he was involved with the mine in some way. For all of his speech, he compared Cara to the women he worked with for all of his jobs with the mine. This did not roll over well with the woman guarding the mines to his left.
Her name is Julia Drenzt and she is utterly convinced that cultists are entering the caves to perform dark, twisted rituals to a vile and dark God of the Land. They supposedly gather in secret to ritualistically sacrifice children.

Before anyone asks to Sense Motive, both of these figures are convinced what they say is the truth. Whether it is or not is a whole 'nother story.

Cespenar
2008-09-06, 04:45 PM
Rhah Talec

Dibs on the Sense Motive check! :smalltongue:

Listening to the guards, Rhah comes to the conclusion that they don't possess any sound information as well.

"Actually, a proper sacrifice to the God of the Land doesn't involve children... but rather virgins. And a calf, if I'm not mistaken." His face is dead serious.

Feirgon
2008-09-06, 08:06 PM
Ja

Jarold blinks a couple times as he stares at Rhah. A sort of mixed shock and disgust. Hopeful that his companion was merely telling lies to get a response, Jarold couldn't help but react as if what he had said was the truth.

---

Once inside the cave, Jarold voiced his opinion on splitting up.

I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but in dim lighting, halflings can sometimes be mistaken as children. And being sacrificed is not on my todo list today. He said, giving a somewhat light-hearted/worried glance at Rhah. So I think we should stick together, like Slav suggested.

Move Silently: [roll0] (because he is still wearing his full backpack, he is actually worried that there may be a chance that we may be spending more than one day down here....I so hope he is wrong.)

MCerberus
2008-09-06, 10:01 PM
Darin

Wallowing in the splendor of the wonderful stench of guano, Darin follows the others into the mines. He generally can't stand the stuff, but the chill keeps the aroma controlled. Once everyone is past the chatty guards and discussing whether or not to split up, he slightly reassures Ja.

"Chances are pretty safe that there isn't some doomsday cult down here. To hazard a guess I'd say some kind of predator or an idiot thinking there's treasure."

Shrugging, he makes his way up to the split in the paths. Drawing Drekslash he shrugs and remarks, "Makes sense to keep together. We shouldn't take chances until we figure out what we're up against."

neoseph7
2008-09-07, 12:05 AM
So are you guys taking the center path? The link I sent (if it works) shows a single room to the South East, and the dots there are the paths that can be taken. (this applies to future rooms too).

Deathslayer7
2008-09-07, 12:11 AM
what link? and yes the center path.

Cespenar
2008-09-07, 02:28 AM
Rhah Talec

Showing the halfling an amused face, Rhah listens his companions talk about how the group is going to go on. He nods slightly at Slavomir, Darin and Ja's ideas.

"Then it's pretty much decided?" He turns to look at the rest of the people who hasn't told their thought.

neoseph7
2008-09-07, 02:37 AM
I think cbdb found a bag of holding and then tripped into a portable hole on the way to the cave. My sig now includes a page for the campaign. Please tell me if you can see it. As for the central passage...

The mine shaft leading to the west is beyond the luminous effects of the torches in the main chamber. As the party adjusts itself to the lack of light, an initiative roll comes into view.

You know that the path is too dark to see before you have to roll for initiative. Someone can cast light or ignite a torch before proceeding.

J-H
2008-09-07, 10:49 AM
Willem
[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-07, 04:43 PM
The Cave Map and battlegrids have been updated (the link to the site is in my signature). The battle grids look better when viewed at about 250% though. I'll work on that.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-07, 04:48 PM
i dont see the link. The link on the picture just gives a picture. And the link to the Silverwind Chronicles goes to someplace else.

ah ok. got it. :smalltongue:

neoseph7
2008-09-07, 04:58 PM
i dont see the link. The link on the picture just gives a picture. And the link to the Silverwind Chronicles goes to someplace else.

The link on the pic for North should lead to a page, with the same image at the top of the screen. Can you scroll down?

Deathslayer7
2008-09-07, 06:07 PM
Cara

Pulling out one of her torches out of her backpack. Cara lights it.

Speaking to the group she asks

Do you guys want me to light another one or no?

int: [roll0] edit: will start somewhere in the center of the group, holding the torch, so others can see.

Feirgon
2008-09-07, 09:37 PM
Ja

Ja will start in P-14

Init: [roll0]

J-H
2008-09-07, 09:43 PM
Willem
Willem will start in O7, near the enemy. Also, he's bald.

Feirgon
2008-09-07, 09:58 PM
Willem
Willem will start in O7, near the enemy. Also, he's bald.

I think you meant O-14, since O-7 isn't even on the map :/

The numbers are read diagonally (bottom-left to top-right) and the letters are read vertically (top to bottom). Hopefully that clears up some confusion.

J-H
2008-09-07, 10:07 PM
Willem
O-15 or O-14, yes, thanks.
I never saw a description of what's in the red spot. It looks like a snake?

neoseph7
2008-09-07, 10:23 PM
To clear things up with positions, the stalagmites/stalagtites are numbered, with their coordinates listed off to the side. This is to help people figure out what the numbering scheme is.

As for Willem's baldness, I will fix it eventually, but I do have other things I need to work on. Such as the South campaign and schoolwork.

Cara's light is more than bright enough for the characters with low light vision to make out a Large Cave Viper (and those with normal vision to make out the outline of said Viper). I described the Cave template elsewhere, and basically this thing "felt" you coming and is not flat footed. It is also large, so you may have a hard time trying to sneak attack it.

I encourage meaty descriptions of the scene, with a few details I should state first. Amongst other things though, there is little if any bat guano here. There is no illumination, so their is neither torch nor opening for sunlight nor even phosphorescent fungus among us. (This obviously does not include Cara's torch).

MCerberus
2008-09-07, 11:07 PM
Darin

Darin will take O-11
[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-08, 12:05 AM
Darin will take O-11

See above for info on grid placement. Did you mean O-18?

Cespenar
2008-09-08, 02:49 AM
Somewhere in the back like Q-16/17 is fine.
[roll0]

Slamexo
2008-09-08, 03:19 AM
Yivvix

Yivvix shall start in O-17

Initiative Roll = [roll0]

Darkantra
2008-09-08, 10:35 AM
Slavomir, always at the front will start at P16.
[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-08, 12:20 PM
Slavomir, always at the front will start at P16.

The front is on the O column. Are you sure of your location?

Darkantra
2008-09-08, 01:09 PM
Ah, I think that's a typo there, I did mean O16

neoseph7
2008-09-08, 06:57 PM
The website should reflect the new positions I have for everyone. Willem, Yivvix, and Darin get to go before the Snake. Everyone else is after the Scaley. I'm not going to be critical of the order in which everything happens for the party. I will automatically assume, unless told otherwise, that party members are going to move to flank.

J-H
2008-09-08, 07:42 PM
Willem
Hefting his hammer and spinning it round once, Willem moves to K11 and readies himself. If the snake gets within range, he'll take a 5-ft step and pound it.
Yes, only 20' move :(
[roll0]
[roll1]

"No need to rush, it's not that fast and we don't need to get hurt needlessly."

neoseph7
2008-09-08, 11:53 PM
Willem
Hefting his hammer and spinning it round once, Willem moves to K11 and readies himself. If the snake gets within range, he'll take a 5-ft step and pound it.
Yes, only 20' move :(
[roll0]
[roll1]

"No need to rush, it's not that fast and we don't need to get hurt needlessly."

You may not use a five foot step as part of a readied action if you have already moved that turn. Pg 160 of the PHB. Sorry dude.

MCerberus
2008-09-09, 01:36 AM
Darin

Holding his blade at his side, Darin moves forward towards the outlined figure. With his eyesight, it is hard to clearly identify the threat, but it's better to be safe than dead. Moving faster than he would normally like, he moves forward, attempting to hide the squishing sound of a man stepping on bat feces. He makes no attempt to communicate other than an initial shrug towards the outline. Hopefully whatever it is hasn't spotted Darin yet.

Move silently to i-16 taking the -5 for the speed. I should be in striking range without charging now. Hoping that the snake doesn't notice me yet.

[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-09, 01:45 AM
Move silently to i-16 taking the -5 for the speed. I should be in striking range without charging now. Hoping that the snake doesn't notice me yet.

The creature has blindsight. In addition to not being flat footed, it cannot be flanked without drawing out it's guard, as per the long winded explaination I gave of the Cave template in the previous thread page. If you like, you may change actions.

MCerberus
2008-09-09, 01:49 AM
I think I'll keep my actions. Darin doesn't have any ranks in knowledge (dungeoneering) and wouldn't know such things.

Slamexo
2008-09-09, 01:48 PM
Yivvix

Yivvix will move over to I-12

Cespenar
2008-09-09, 04:07 PM
Rhah

Rhah recoils a bit at the sight of the huge serpent, but he follows the group from behind, while grabbing loose the sling from his belt, and loads a bullet.

Drawing out the sling and moving to K-13.

neoseph7
2008-09-09, 10:47 PM
The slithering reptile, on it's turn, coils itself tighter, seeming ready to strike without warning, but otherwise not moving.

Darkantra
2008-09-09, 10:58 PM
Slavomir

Drawing his weapon, Slavomir steps up beside a stalagmite and waits for the others to strike with their ranged weapons before making his move. For the time being he starts balancing on the balls of his feet and shifting side to side like he's getting ready to dodge an attack.

"I haf never seen such a large snake, it certainly iz interesting." he whispers back to Rhah.

Moving to J12 and taking a total defense action for a +4 dodge bonus

Deathslayer7
2008-09-09, 11:04 PM
Cara HP: 9 AC: 13

Will move closer to the snake, but stay back around 50ft or so and shoot a bullet at it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Be careful, no doubt it is poisonous, so don't let it bite you.

Cespenar
2008-09-10, 04:29 AM
Rhah

"Isn't it?" Rhah whispers back, wondering why are they whispering. "It must be because of this underground environment."

After a moment, just as he sees that the snake has stopped, he shoots a bullet at it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

J-H
2008-09-10, 07:21 AM
Willem
Willem advances to H-11, just out of range of the snake, and waits for the ranged attackers to force it to move.
Ready action to attack when the snake gets in range...in addition to my AOO if he passes me.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Feirgon
2008-09-10, 06:25 PM
Ja

Making sure to keep cover close by, Ja moves forward and draws his sling.

Then he studies the beast carefully. He half wonders if he has heard tales of such beasts...

Ja will move to J-10 and draw his sling.

Bardic Knowledge: [roll0]

Ignore the bardic knowledge roll if it is irrevelent to this situation.

neoseph7
2008-09-10, 11:40 PM
Cara's stone strikes true, though Rhah's does not.

The deadly viper lunges at Willem's approach, successfully sinking his twisted fangs into his flesh.

Willem's counter, unfortunatly, was to no avail against the deadly serpent.

Unless will's AC is higher than 20, the snake strikes true. Willem takes 3 damage and needs to make a fortitude save.

edit:
I misread my own map. Willem was not struck by the snake.

I don't think the Bardic knowledge check reveals anything of interest, but way to use a free action!
The pattern on the back of the snake bears a striking resemblance to the crest of the Viper Gang, a group of hoodlums long removed since before the end of the War. The patterns on the backs of Cave Vipers likely intrigued the youths towards the beginning of their life of crime.

[roll0]

For some reason, Ja cannot help but think that he has seen this symbol as a tattoo on someone before...

Also, if people could include their current HP and AC I would be most appreciative.

neoseph7
2008-09-11, 12:56 PM
Darin and Yivvix still have a turn in rnd 2 before the snake, who is going to do the same thing as before (ready action to 5-ft-step and strike those that come within range). So everyone gets their next turn. The maps should be updated as of this post.

Feirgon
2008-09-12, 09:48 AM
Ja

Sizing up the beast, Jarold unleashes his fury! ...of a single really small bullet...

A part of Jarold just died.

I will use my second action, which I guess can be ignored if it is killed before my turn actually comes around.

To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

If critical:

Confirm: [roll2]
Additional Damage: [roll3]

I would also like to make a suggestion. During combat, if a person doesn't respond within a 24 hour period, we should just assume they withheld their action. This might make some people upset, but at least it will keep the game moving.

Slamexo
2008-09-12, 10:32 AM
Yivvix, AC 18, Init 16

Moving next to the snake, Yivvix jumps up towards it with his foot outstretched and aimed for its head.

Apologies for the delay, didn't realise it was my turn :smalltongue:

Unarmed strike attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

Deathslayer7
2008-09-12, 10:34 AM
Cara AC: 13 HP: 9

Aiming ath the animal again, she will shoot it.

attack:
damage [roll1d4

neoseph7
2008-09-12, 12:16 PM
From now on, just post your actions out of order, and I'll put them all together in initiative order. The snake is now wounded, and looks as if ready to flee. There is the rest of round 2 and the start of round 3 before the snake takes a withdrawal action.

Darkantra
2008-09-12, 01:26 PM
Slavomir, AC15 (with charge) HP 11/11

"Vell, it iz magnificent but it could be dizturbing ze batz, best to be killing it now."

Slavomir adopts a duelist's pose for half a second before charging full out at the snake.

So charging and attacking the snake
[roll0]
[roll1]

Cespenar
2008-09-12, 05:22 PM
Rhah Talec

Seeing the group charge the serpent, Rhah holds his sling hand and watches how the fight is going to end up. He takes a look at their back too, to see if any creature is sneaking on them.

[roll0]
[roll1]

MCerberus
2008-09-12, 07:26 PM
Darin 8/8 HP Initiative 13

With the attacks beginning, Celix moves in towards the snake but does not recklessly charge. Lowering Drekslash to his waste, he stabs at the beast, hoping to spill blood

Move to d10 (30 feet)
[roll0]
[roll1]

J-H
2008-09-12, 10:43 PM
Willem AC 15 13 hp Init 20
Waiting until the right time, Willem follows right behind Slavomir's charge, and swings his hammer at the snake's head.
Ready action to move to E-9 (if I can hit the snake from there and it's not blocked, if I can't go there then someplace reasoanble) and attack the snake after someone else has, so that I don't get AOO'd with my relatively low AC.
[roll0]
[roll1]

neoseph7
2008-09-12, 10:58 PM
The serpent lashes out at Slavomir during his charge. The two clash with a loud slice and hiss.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
If hit, Slav must make a fortitude save vs. Poison.

Unless I am mistaken, Yivvix is the only one who hasn't gone yet and can before the snake high tails it out of there. He has until morning to post. Otherwise, the Snake withdrawls from combat (though ranged attacks may still work for the rest of the round. Her speed is only 20ft.)

Edit: Willem killed her.

J-H
2008-09-13, 09:08 AM
Willem
His hammer striking true, there is a loud crunching noise, as the snake's head caves in. The snake, deprived of its brain, writhes and shakes around for a little while, and then goes still as its body begins to shut down.

"I doubt it was just a single snake disturbing the bats. They can fly away from one such as this."

Slamexo
2008-09-13, 09:14 AM
Yivvix

Landing softly on the ground after his flying kick, it's not long until the snake's head is finally smashed in by Willem.

"A snake like this wouldn't even bother the bats that much; probably just a coincidence that we ran into it."

Stepping over its large corpse, Yivvix proceeded forwards into the darkness and past the various stalagmites and stalacites.

neoseph7
2008-09-13, 07:18 PM
The serpent falls dead and the battle is won. The sounds of combat stired a few bats about from the other rooms (as made evident from the sounds) but nothing seems different about the area. The only path leading on is straight to the west. The path back is to the east.

Sorry it took so long to post. I had to do something illegal and very much painful to the individuals who have the odacity to call themselves an "Internet Service Provider". How about some XP? We all love XP. 100XP to the six of you.

I will have the cave area map updated with your next location soon.

Cespenar
2008-09-14, 02:37 AM
Rhah

"I concur." he says to the kobold. "I hope that we won't have to kill any more of them."

He throws a look at the mangled body of the snake and moves on.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-14, 01:02 PM
Cara

Let's continue moving on. I doubt that is what has been causing the bats distress.

neoseph7
2008-09-14, 04:34 PM
The path opens into a large room, gutted in the middle bt a large chasm. The smell of guano is almost nauseating, and the stuff is waste deep along certain paths. The bats stir occasionally and loud hammer strikes (or something similar) can be heard below. A pile of bones can be seen off to the distance, decayed and ruined tools occupy a corner in the area and phosphourous fungus reveal enough details of the area to make out several paths.

The map I show does not represent Z directional changes (ie up and down). Climbing (or atleast making climb checks) will not be required for now.

The Cave Map has been updated. There are several paths that can be taken from here, and listing them all would be tedious. If you guys are having a hard time reading the map, tell me and I will fix it.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-14, 04:47 PM
Cara

No doubt these two passages lead back to the entrance, although they might lead to a side room. I suggest we take one of the forward paths (any top ones).

J-H
2008-09-14, 06:59 PM
Willem
Willem nods agreement with Cara.

Feirgon
2008-09-15, 01:41 AM
Ja

My vote is to continue moving in a forward direction also, I say we stick with the middle for now.

neoseph7
2008-09-15, 08:13 PM
Um. I think my next map will be a little more than chicken scratch during class. Let us number the 5 paths that have not been traversed. The top path is one. Each path lower on the map is one higher (so 1 is on top, 2 is to the SW of that by a little. 3 is the SE of 2. 4 is to the west of the path already travelled and 5 is the lowest path. While I would prefer if everyone picked a path together, this style of play doesn't seem to support that. So in addition to your choice, pick a number between 1 and 20. Whoever is closest, it is assumed the party decided on taking that path. No, this isn't fair. Yes, we are going to use it from now. Why, because I think it will speed things up.

Also of note, in order for the party to level up, they will have to go through 13.3 encounters of the appropriate CR. While my cave is larger than 14 rooms, it will still feel like a collection of grey rooms interlinked in some seemingly random order in which the party more often than not rolls for initiative at the entrance to each area. I'd like this to be a little more colorful than that, so feel free to describe things in the room that (1) would actually make sense to be in a room with the general description and (2) would be productive for problem solving. Try to use more than just your equipment list. On that note, roll for initiative.

The pile of bones towards the center of the cave gets up and shakes a bit. It looks like they once belonged to wolf, now clinging to its hatred for all that is good in the world. Or maybe it didn't appreciate dying in a pool of bat guano. One or the other.

PS. Dont forget the chasm that is convieniently located wherever you guys "see" it.

J-H
2008-09-15, 09:15 PM
Willem
"The second passage, middle of the far side, sounds good.
What's that?"

Willem peers across the chasm, seeing a skeletal wolf suddenly rebuild itself near the third doorway. "That's probably not friendly." He hefts his hammer and moves between the rest of the group and the wolf's route (plenty of room to shoot around him).

The wolf's path takes it near a large patch of illuminating fungus, right past a collection of rusted picks, hammers, stakes, a shovel with a broken handle, and what appears to have been (in a past life) several coils of rope.

[roll0] Door 2
[roll1]

MCerberus
2008-09-15, 10:28 PM
Darin

Following the group deeper into the chasm, a chill comes up Darin's spine and causes him to grip his sword tightly. Suddenly the blurry pile of miscellaneous objects (he couldn't quite make out that they were bones) forms together. Dark energies swirl together and create the joints of the foul beast, while the red glow of "eyes" pierce the iridescence. Tensing up, he begins to think of a possible plan and remarks to the others, "I get the feeling that this may be one of the things disturbing the bats."

[roll0]

Deathslayer7
2008-09-15, 11:36 PM

Your most likely right. Whatever it is, we must get rid of it.

Steeping into the room, she readies her sling and prepares herself to fight the thing.

int: 1d20[/roll]

Deathslayer7
2008-09-15, 11:37 PM
Cara

screwed up. sorry about that.
[roll0]

Darkantra
2008-09-16, 02:52 AM
Slavomir
HP: 11, AC 17

Having woefully remained silent through their transition to the new cavern, Slavomir snarls as the wolf cobbles itself back together.

"Undead, of course ze bats are dizturbed if such a foul thing iz living in zeir cavern. Ve must destroy it."

Sorry about the lack of posting, I've been out with a really nasty cold for the last four days and I haven't been able to keep up with all of my games with being sick and work.

[roll0]

Cespenar
2008-09-16, 09:33 AM
Rhah (HP: 7, AC: 11)

"Darin has a point. So we have an undead problem. Nice."

Again, Rhah's hand moves to his sling.

I didn't quite get the genius behind the path choosing system, but I'll comply.
[roll0] (I choose path 2 too.)
[roll1]

Feirgon
2008-09-16, 11:52 AM
Ja

Um...that's not normal.

Ja said, as he slowly lowered his outstretched, pointing hand.

This is most definitely not natural. Who practices Necromancy...?

Stories from the west are few here, but from what I can remember, Necromancy is looked down upon by most other mages.

As Jarold readies his sling, he thinks hard to see if he can recall any mention of Necromatic Guilds in the west and perhaps any stories about them...

Initiative: [roll0]
Bardic Knowledge: [roll1]
Knowledge (History): [roll2]

Cespenar
2008-09-16, 03:38 PM
Rhah

"You don't have to rely on stories of the west, you know. I came from there."

He grins smugly for a moment. "Guess you didn't know that."
But the moment passes. "You're right, though. Necromancy is looked down upon, but that doesn't stop anyone does it?"

neoseph7
2008-09-16, 04:43 PM
Knowledge History + Bardic Knowledge: The ten city states known today each were built around a patron God or Goddess, based on the presence of Obelisks in the area. One of the current ten was actually two that grew near each other (not that the names can be remembered off the top of one's head at the moment, but it will come later). That leaves one City that should be dedicated to a diety, and there is only one diety without a city: Zell, the God of Death. Stories of a long abandoned "Zeroith City" (Namuze Castle is often called "The First City") abound in the more eldritch environments, though the city is foreign to written history.

These tales are generally considered rumors, concocted in order to lead would-be adventures to their doom, and often fabricated by rival guilds and groups with questionable morals to handle "opposition" as it were. In reality, though, Necromancy is commonly practiced in the West, and it is far more likely that a Wizard studying Necromancy or a Cleric of Zell created an undead than there being any ties to some "Lost City-State".

Society in general does frown on necromancy, but only spells with the evil descripter come under issue. And even then, Magics involving the dead and undead were too useful during the War to be passed up, and that made the Study of Death a little more lucrative.

neoseph7
2008-09-17, 12:04 PM
The skeleton in wolf's clothing backs a few feet before taking a leap over the crevasse. The white bones, mangled in life with bite marks, decay, and fractures lands next to the crevasse before the party.

I'll have a map up asap. Basically, the Skeleton went first. So now everyone goes, in order (though you can post your actions whenever). While I'm working on the map, I can describe the scenery. Low light vision everywhere. There is a very deep gash in the floor immediately behind the skeleton (the crevasse). The party is within 30ft of their foe.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-17, 01:48 PM

It is near the crevice? We could take a chance and try to push it over. Although i don't know how well that would work, and some of us are likely to get hurt.

She looks to the others for confirmation.

neoseph7
2008-09-18, 01:25 PM
Go ahead and start posting your combat actions. The map will fit around your choices and descriptions. Sorry this is taking me so long, but I have some major assignment stealing all of my attention at the moment.

Feirgon
2008-09-18, 01:55 PM
Ja

Jarold readies his sling as the skeleton leaps across the chasm. Seeing a stalagmite to his right, he puts it between him and the defiled creature.

J-H
2008-09-18, 08:32 PM
Willem
Willem advances towards the wolf, staying just out of its range and putting himself between it and the rest of the group.

Darkantra
2008-09-18, 09:36 PM
Slavomir

Seeing that Willem has a better weapon for the smashing of bones, Slavomir skirts wide, hoping to come up between the wolf and the smith. He tries to keep away from the edge of the chasm and swallows a few times as he catches a glimpse of the pure darkness below.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-18, 10:02 PM

Well it seems like destroying it is better than nothing. She then shoots a bullet at it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Cespenar
2008-09-19, 08:36 AM
Rhah

A little bit amused by his "support" role, Rhah imitates Cara by shooting a bullet at the skeletal wolf.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Cespenar
2008-09-19, 08:44 AM
Confirmation roll:
[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-19, 12:30 PM
The second bullet hits. Undead are not subject to critical hits.

MCerberus
2008-09-20, 01:19 AM
Darin

Though he doubts the effectiveness of slashing at something without flesh, Darin sweeps to the left until he's on the flank of the skeleton wolf. He slashes his sword as hard as he can across the beast's side.

[roll0]
[roll1]

neoseph7
2008-09-20, 12:38 PM
The top down map has been updated. The 3d view will come later. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the PC's rolls in any game I DM suck big time. The South Campaign is having the same problem.

The turn ends and it is the wolfs move. He slashes at Willem:

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Deathslayer7
2008-09-20, 01:11 PM
Cara AC: 13 HP:9

Aiming for the wolf again, she will let another bullet go.

[roll0]
[roll1]

J-H
2008-09-20, 06:19 PM
Willem AC 15 HP 13
As the wolf advances to within range of Willem, he swings his hammer. After successfully parrying the wolf's attack, he takes another swipe.

I get an AOO--I did not move to within range of the wolf, and he doesn't have a ranged weapon, so he must have moved to a threatened square to attack me.
[roll=AOOAtk]1d20+2[roll]
[roll0]
[roll=Attk]1d20+2[roll]
[roll1]

J-H
2008-09-20, 06:21 PM
Fixing Attack rolls
[roll0]
[roll1]

neoseph7
2008-09-20, 07:23 PM
Attacks of opportunity are for moving out of or through a threatened square. Not for walking into one. The first attack roll made applies to the normal attack, and it hits.

Between Cara's second shot and Willem's forceful strike, the foul creature shatters to dust. The concussive shock from his mighty hammer causes the whole cave to shake, and bats start to move about with tremendous energy.

Please make spot checks.

A loud blast following a cackle of energy erupts on the side of the cave holding the party. The ground starts to give way and the stalagtites fall. All is dark as the party takes a crash course on gravitational mechanics.

J-H
2008-09-20, 10:08 PM
Willem AC 15 HP 13
"This is NOT normal! We're on the track of whatever it is."

Huh, cool. I guess I mis-knew the AOO rules. Makes it easier for me to hit stuff.
[roll0]
[roll1] just in case it's needed

Darkantra
2008-09-21, 02:39 AM
Slavomir

Slightly disappointed that he never had a chance to strike at the wolf Slavomir is quick to act in grabbing both Willem and Darin and pulling them from the edge of the chasm.

"Get back, ve might be caught in collapse!"

Spot check! [roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-21, 04:53 PM
The cave collapses around the party and everyone falls into the dark depths below. There is minimal light, and the party is scattered. To find one-another you all will need to call out and describe how hurt you are.

For the most part you all have landed into a disgusting mix of water and guano. One the plus side, this doesn't require a swim check nor does it deal damage. A prestidigitation spell will fully clean a character.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-21, 05:23 PM
Cara

Ughhhhhh! I cant belive I landed in this stuff. Can you guys hear me? FOloow my voice.

She will keep calling out until people start coming to her.

Slamexo
2008-09-21, 05:35 PM
Yivvix

Normally, Yivvix would try to keep calm and collected, but this was just too much. For most of the others, this would be coming just above their waist and, while disgusting, would be harmless for the most part. But Yivvix only came to about waist height of everyone else and as such, was up to his skull in the disgusting filth. Paddling above the foul mix, Yivvix called out to the others.

"I would like to say right now that none of you should be complaining! This is the worst situation I've been in up to my life now!"

Wanting to get out of the horrible solution as quickly as possible, Yivvix started to swim steadily through the guano towards the nearest wall to feel for some sort of ledge he could climb up onto.

Search check: [roll0]

Feirgon
2008-09-21, 10:37 PM
Ja

Ow. And also ew.

Jarold uttered in a very quiet whisper.

He had done a marvelous triple-half-turn-somersault in the air before landing in the disgusting goo. Had the fall been judged, let alone seen, he would have been given high marks for style and poise. Unfortunately, his landing was all but beautiful. Having landed on his back against the mush, all wind had escaped Jarold's dimunitive lungs. So he spent a couple seconds "floating" on his back regaining his breath, feeling both immeasurable pain and unfathomable disgust.

Though he was fortunate enough to have full use of his hands which he put to use.

Lariat Imuse. Fight darkness with light.

Though temporary, Jarold hoped casting light upon his drum set would help him to see where the others had landed or at least help the others see where he landed.

Jarold casts Light (lasts 10 minutes).
Spot Check: [roll0]

Darkantra
2008-09-22, 01:34 AM
Slavomir

Though he tried to drag Willen and Darin from the cliff edge Slavomir's strength just wasn't enough, and the three of them fell into the pit in a jumble of arms and legs.

Somehow in the fall Slavomir was pushed away from the tangle and landed near to the pit's wall in an awkward manner. Having the breath blasted from him, the paladin made the fatal mistake of breathing in deeply as he surfaced.

"Kalia's will! Pfft, phuut!" he sputters, trying to spit out the horrible taste.

Feeling incredibly vulnerable he holds his shield close to his chest as he slowly rotates to try and take in his surroundings, but is nearly blinded by Ja's magical light.

"Good thinking Ja, do you have a spell for ze smell too?"

Slavomir takes a good long look around their new location, looking despondently at the guano streaked walls and the horrible water.

Darkantra
2008-09-22, 01:35 AM
Forgot my rolls, :smalltongue:

[roll0]
[roll1]

MCerberus
2008-09-22, 02:44 AM
Darin

Trying to keep his balance before the fall, Darin is taken off his feet by Slavomir's good intentions. He drops gracelessly face first into the bat sewage and barely closes his eyes in time. Getting relatively upright, the rogue tries to wipe off the majority of the guano from his face using the small amount of his person not drenched.

"It's in my nose. Wonderful."

Trying to regain his composure, he looks around where the group has fallen. Fighting the instinct to hide from the sudden light source and keep to the shadows, he tries to make sense of the situation.

"Everyone still have their weapons? Chances are whatever made the collapse put us right where they want us."

His eyes adjusting, Darin looks for a way out.

[roll0]
[roll1]

neoseph7
2008-09-22, 02:46 AM
Enough of you made the spot check and I assume shared the results with your peers. Prior to the cave in, a dark figure let loose some variety of arcane energy upon the crevasse around you. You couldn't see much more than a black leather coat. But the outline of his facial features weren't humanoid by any stretch of the imagination. It looked like some kind of bird. A crow? Or a raven?

Cespenar
2008-09-22, 04:03 AM
Rhah

Taken completely by surprise, Rhah falls like an uninformed brick as the ground beneath him gives way. He is fortunate enough to fall on his back though, which saves a good time not spent on scraping muck off his face. Staying still for a moment, Rhah tries to shake off the dizzy feeling, and uses this time to ponder on the reason that why he hasn't prepared any light spells. Sure, he had some alchemical light sticks, but he won't use them if he could get off otherwise. With these thoughts, he gets up and tries to focus on the sounds that others might make, so that he can find them.

[roll0]
[roll1]

J-H
2008-09-22, 07:25 AM
Willem
Willem stands up, not needing to call out now that there is light.
"Will not the light make us visible to whoever is up above? We should get out of sight."

Feirgon
2008-09-22, 02:23 PM
Ja

Well...I haven't felt anyone attack me or heard anyone shooting arrows at me. I think, for the time being, we are "safe".

Jarold responded to Willem's question, in a very uncharacteristically matter-of-fact kind of way. Though, if one were to listen carefully, Jarold's pain threshold could be heard breaking.

And as he lay there, unmoving, he looked up in the darkness and fully took in how far they had all fallen. A feeling of vertigo overcame him as he thought about it and decided to find something to distract him from the thought. Oddly enough, after being reminded of filth in which he was laying, he would soon find himself longing for the vertigo. Having finally felt the urge to move from is location; Jarold looked around to study the dimensions of the cavern and possible exits.

He also hoped the looking would discern an escape route from the muck, preferably one that involved the least amount of "swimming".

Not to be a pain or anything, but do we get xp for the fight/fall? I would also appreciate an updating of the area map (if the light actually shows anything discernable).

Also, Brutus (cdbd) hasn't posted since the first day. Doing a search on his recent posts, I can see that he actually hasn't just been ignoring this game. He hasn't posted on any of the forums since August 28th. Hopefully nothing bad happened.

neoseph7
2008-09-22, 05:30 PM
Everyone gets 100XP for the fight. I was en route to the lab when I remembered I had forgotten to reward XP. I have great faith that the players will not let me forget, so don't be afraid to remind me.

I'm pretty sure I gave Brutus a Bag of holding and then had him fall into a portable hole a few thread pages ago. I also hope nothing serious has happened, and since cbdb was enrolled in the South campaign, I too noticed he wasn't posting at all.

There is indeed a path that leads away from the muck. A few feet above the pool is a dry ledge. Leading away from it is a path slightly illuminated from sunlight, though the source of this light is out of view. A DC 12 climb check is needed to climb up out of the muck. Once one of you have made it out, you can easily assist someone else (setting the the climber's DC to 5).

J-H
2008-09-22, 08:43 PM
Willem
Willem sloshes his large form over towards the route up and attempts to pull himself up, muscle endurance making up for any slowness of speed when choosing where to grab and pull.

[roll0]

Cespenar
2008-09-23, 09:43 AM
Rhah

Noticing the ledge, Rhah nears the wall and tries to climb his way out of the filth. He takes his time though, acting carefully to avoid any potential falls.

Taking 10, which with his +2 str modifier equals 12.

Feirgon
2008-09-23, 10:04 AM
Ja

Luckily the exit was not far. Seeing as some others had climbed up the ledge, he decided to finally move toward it. He made sure to keep his drums and current light source out of the muck and used a backstroke through the sludge.

Once he was free from the ick, Jarold felt very relieved. That lasted until he decided to check the status of his backpack...

Unfortunately, even with help, Jarold found himself back on his back in the filth.

Jarold let out a small whimper.

Anyone have some rop...

Jarold stopped before he could finish his sentence. He seemed instantly lost in thought.

I have a whip!

He exclaimed as the thought dawned on him. He tied the tip around his hand and flung the handle toward someone upon the ledge.

Please don't pull too fast.

Climb vs DC 5 (hopefully someone helps me): [roll0]

Slamexo
2008-09-23, 10:34 AM
Yivvix

Spotting the others climbing up the ledge out of the filth, Yivvix hastily paddled through the guano over to them and climbed the ledge himself.

After sucessfully escaping the putrid mix, Yivvix proceeded to start brushing himself and shaking wildly to get as much of the slime off him as possible.

Climb check [roll0]

Darkantra
2008-09-23, 11:49 PM
Slavomir

Hitching his shield onto his back, Slavomir follows the others up the incline, hoping for a helping hand as he goes up.

"I am not too good at zis..."

Despite his own words Slavomir is able to scale the wall with his decent agility and luck. Whenever he starts to slip the paladin just jams his foot into the wall and somehow manages to catch a firm rock.

[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-25, 10:13 AM
Everyone makes it up and is exploring the rest of the cave guided by Ja's drum light. After a slight bend, openings in the cave ceiling reveal direct sunlight shining onto a clear pool that appears to be completely unscathed by the bat population. The water is crisp and fresh, though something seems to be swimming in it. Something larger than just a fish. The cave walls are covered in cave algae, and the slick layer seems to prevent the bats from roosting on the ceiling.

Search checks are recommended. If you made a search check in the muck, you can use that roll or a new one for this check.

Feirgon
2008-09-25, 03:13 PM
Ja

Just to let you guys know, this drum won't be providing light for much longer.

Oh. Nevermind.

Jarold found the daylight from the illuminated cavern refreshing. The cave now had a green glow as light reflected from the water and onto the algae covered walls. The seen was rather serene.

Yes! I can actually wash...off this...

What is that?

He queried as he pointed at the object in the water.

Search Roll: [roll0]
Spot (to try to make out what hes seeing) Roll: [roll1]

Deathslayer7
2008-09-25, 03:56 PM
Cara

She stares perplexed at the thing in the water, wondering what it can be.

ooc:

rolls to come later. not at home right now.

J-H
2008-09-25, 05:46 PM
Willem
[roll0]
bla bla bla text

Deathslayer7
2008-09-26, 12:53 AM
Cara rolls:

[roll0] search
[roll1] spot

Darkantra
2008-09-26, 12:06 PM
Slavomir

"Ah, ve have rizen from perdition and have entered a beautiful place my friends."

Slavomir takes a step towards the pool, but then pauses and takes a long look inside of it, and the cave around him.

The phosphoresent fungi lent a strange green tint to the welcome yellow sunlight.

[roll0]
[roll1]

neoseph7
2008-09-26, 07:23 PM
Searching reveals several large cracks along the cave wall. They seem to hide a fracture point, and a really good thwack would likely make them crumble. Fortunatly, some of you notice that the cracks lead to the ceiling and would likely result in a cave-in immediatly around the cracks in the wall.

Further, hidden under some mushrooms which seem to shine a different hue than the rest are the remains of Kalia only knows what (This is off of Slavomir's search check). These remains happen to have a weapon and a coin purse stuffed with gems. A humanoid looking hand is clutching a bag with tell tale signs of once having bat guano. Evidence suggests this guano thief had plenty to drink but started running out of things to eat...

Looking down in the well, the moving figure is the animated skeleton of possibly a cave bear. The creature is attempting to paddle it's way to the surface, unsuccesfully.

J-H
2008-09-26, 10:35 PM
Willem
Willem examines the corpse, careful to not touch the mushrooms.
"Well, that's a nice bonus. Even the guano should be saleable. Shall we disassemble the skeleton? Undead are always a threat from what I know."

neoseph7
2008-09-26, 11:19 PM
Messing with the guano is btw illegal. I knew I forgot something though. 200 GP in gems and coins. The weapon is a... [roll0]

Iron Heavy Flail

Cespenar
2008-09-27, 05:32 AM
Rhah

"Weird..." Rhah mumbles as he looks at the swimming bear skeleton in the middle of the pool.

"It's almost as if a necromancer is practicing his "art" in this cave. We'll probably encounter more of these."

He readies his sling for a shot, but waits until they decide what to do.

J-H
2008-09-27, 08:15 AM
Willem
I misread and thought there was still guano in the bag...already collected and "messed with"
"Shall I carry the valuables and we divide them up once we are outside and able to use them?"

neoseph7
2008-09-27, 09:27 PM
I also seem to have forgotten to imply that behind the cracks is a passage, or at the least an opening. The exit to be blunt. I don't want to make people read between the lines for this. Unless I implicitly say something is a riddle, I mean for my language to be clear.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-27, 09:39 PM
Cara

We should destroy this abomination as well, so it can no longer cause harm to the bats.

She will then shoot at it.

[roll0]
[roll1]
continue shooting it until it crumbles.

neoseph7
2008-09-27, 09:50 PM
Unfortunatly, the shots do not deal damage through the water.

Cespenar
2008-09-28, 02:01 AM
Rhah

"I'm not a big fan of pointless destruction, but a couple of good hammer swings to one of these walls -from a safe place, of course- might both bury the skeleton and open that passage, I guess. It's risky, though."

Darkantra
2008-09-28, 02:59 AM
Slavomir

With barely held back disgust Slavomir kicks a stone into the pool and makes a short prayer to his goddess.

"Kalia, I beseech you to let us find ze horrible person who iz taking zese creatures from zere rightful rest and turning zem against the vorld. Let us find zem and bring zem the justice that vas denied zese poor creatures."

Calming down a little, Slavomir walks to the crack and runs his hand along it.

"I am not ze best architectural matterz, but zere might be ze chance zat collapsing ze cave vill crush ze poor creature's remains and rid zem of ze corrupting influence."

Architecture and Engineering or Dungeoneering to determine whether the cave will collapse on top of the skelleton in the water.

[roll0]

J-H
2008-09-28, 08:19 AM
Willem
"We should go through the exit area first before trying to collapse where we are."

Willem looks around for any large boulders that could be thrown into the water to crush the undead.

[roll0] to see if Willem knows anything useful about creating cave-ins.

neoseph7
2008-09-28, 06:25 PM
Breaking a stalagtite near the ceiling cracks might alleviate the ceiling enough that a future strike against the wall will not create a deadly cave in. Or it could kill everyone. One in a million chance for then latter...

Feirgon
2008-09-29, 07:34 AM
Ja

As much as I would like to see the dead properly laid to rest, I would much more like to not end up dead.

And it looks like the passage behind these cracks is our only exit...

Ja says as he follows the cracks up to the ceiling.

He then turns his attention to Willem and his blunt hammer-like weapon.

Would you like to do the honors?

If someone picks up the Iron Heavy Flail, Ja does have a backpack if you would like him to carry it. Looting the room just isn't at the top of his todo list. Actually, I need to figure out how much room I actually have left in the backpack...hopefully the flail isn't too heavy.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-29, 10:38 AM
Cara

Cara frowns for a moment, then says Do not cave it in for now. Setting off this one cave-in might set off others inside the cave. Hopefully, if we find the master who controls that creature and destroy him, then maybe to the creature will be destroyed.

Seeing as we have no choice, she sighs.

Feirgon
2008-09-29, 11:10 AM
Ja

We can fit through the cracks?! I thought they were small (so Ja could fit through them maybe). But if we can fit through them, then I will need to edit my previous post.

Deathslayer7
2008-09-29, 11:15 AM
neospeh7 said there was an exit in between the cracks

neoseph7
2008-09-29, 12:36 PM
There is an exit beyond the cracks. Not between them. There is a solid wall with cracks running its length. The cracks are presumably small enough for fluid forms (gas/liquid) to go through. If you have a funny alchemical item, you might be able to jam it in there and ignite it from afar.

The real question to ask is where to go. Meta gaming suggests that this is The path to take. In theory, some crappy excuse for a deus ex machina could also remedy the party's situation, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Feirgon
2008-09-29, 01:01 PM
Ja

Then my suggestion for Willem to smack the wall stands. :D

J-H
2008-09-29, 05:57 PM
Willem
Willem picks up the iron heavy flail and puts it in his pack. He then picks the most-heavily-cracked area and aims for the middle of it.

Is anyone keeping track of loot kept?
I can take 10, and the wall isn't moving. Do I need to roll any checks?

neoseph7
2008-09-30, 06:57 AM
If you stand next to the wall when you hit it, you will need to make a reflex save. Otherwise it is a ranged attack roll against an AC you will need to roll a not 1 on.

J-H
2008-09-30, 07:40 AM
Can I throw the iron heavy flail as a weapon against the wall for the ranged option?

neoseph7
2008-09-30, 11:09 AM
Yes. This requires a ranged attack roll.

J-H
2008-09-30, 05:51 PM
Willem
Willem takes the flail out of his pack, and, spinning once, heaves it at the wall.

[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-30, 06:44 PM
Everyone please make listen checks...

Deathslayer7
2008-09-30, 06:46 PM
Cara
[roll0]

Feirgon
2008-09-30, 06:57 PM
Ja

Listen: [roll0]

Neoseph, I changed my avatar to the one you sent me recently. I just checked my e-mail today :smallsigh:. Anyway, it definitely looks a lot less grainy. Thanks!

J-H
2008-09-30, 08:25 PM
Willem
[roll0]

Darkantra
2008-09-30, 09:11 PM
Slavomir

Slavomir poises himself for a dash at the crack once Willem opens it.

[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-09-30, 09:52 PM
The cracks in the cave wall start to separate, and hairline fissures start up the cave walls into the ceiling. They coalesce around one of the stalactites and a loud rumble takes hold of the room as the ceiling caves in around the new opening. Fortunately, no one was caught underneath the rubble, and removing enough to get to the newly created exit is a trivial matter.

I assume the party removes rubble to get to the exit. The next post comes after the requested listen checks, or 24 hours after I requested the listen checks. Whichever comes first. I would also appreciate a description of the room now that it has been filled with rubble and of the method the party uses to move the rubble.

Feirgon
2008-10-01, 01:55 PM
Ja

Ja stared at the collapsing rubble in near shock. With the previous crumbling of rock still fresh in his memory, he had to remind himself that he was not lying in a pile of goo.

After a moment of collecting his thoughts, Jarold looked closely at the now much larger crack behind the rubble. It was now indeed large enough to fit people through. And though there was a large pile of rocks in the way, the natural incline of the ground toward the pool would make the moving of the rocks much easier.

The pool. He looked once again at the helpless tormented soul at the bottom of the water. Then he looked at the rocks. Then once again at the creature...

We'll bury it!

Ja shouted out excitedly, his voice echoing against the cavern walls. Covering his mouth and squinting, he hoped to not cause another cave in. Though, it was more startling than it was concussive.

Starting again, this time much quieter, Ja elaborated.

Like Slavomir said, we can put this creature to rest. And since we have to move the rubble anyway, it would be killing two birds with one....stone.

Despite stumbling into an inadvertent pun, Ja began moving "big" rocks from the rubble and throwing them into the water trying to hit the undead beast.

...miss. I'll try again.

Though the larger creatures around him may have pointed out the inefficiency in his approach, Jarold was more than content at using the "Halfling Method."

...hit! Hmmm, that didn't look like it hit him too hard. I guess I'll have to try with a bigger rock.

J-H
2008-10-01, 06:59 PM
Willem
Willem joins Ja in throwing rocks. The very large man easily picks up some very hefty rocks and swings them up into the air so that they will be going faster when hitting the water.

[roll0] -4 for improvised weapon?
Will the water slow the rocks down to where they don't hurt the bear? Maybe, but we might pin it too.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-01, 07:49 PM
Cara

Cara covers her mouth as dust filled the air. Sh kept her mouth covered for a while. Finally, she opened her eyes. She saw Willem and Ja moving rubble trying to bury the undead creature.

Just make sure it doesn't escape instead she says. She then sees the smaller rocks lying around. She will toss them aside.

Cespenar
2008-10-02, 07:09 AM
Rhah

Rhah tries to use his staff as a lever to pry off and move some of the big rocks so that the others may carry them. He occasionally coughs, probably because of the dust from the cave-in.

neoseph7
2008-10-02, 03:56 PM
Enough of you guys succeeded on the listen check that I can just tell you all. You hear:

unknown 1: You will never get away with this!
unknown 2: Am I going to get your little dog too?
unknown 3: Sir! We need to leave soon!
unknown 1: I will stop you! You think that chunk of rock is worth something? That you are the first neferious villain to twist his mustache and waltz through these caves to get it?
unknown 3: Sir! Whatever that sound was, it has a source that is going to be here any minute!
unknown 2: I am aware Harvin! Silence!!! Mr. Anderson: It's been a displeasure as usual. I pray I don't have to go through this crap with your daughter as well.
Mr. Anderson: YOU LEAVE TESLI ALONE!
unknown 2: Harvin!
Harvin: Sir?
unknown 2: Blast a hole in the ceiling and kill him quickly. Then make haste away from our next set of unwelcome guests. I swear the next chance I get I'm taking a vacation to the mountains. I never have to...

The voice fades as he walks away. All of the voices are male, and loud hammering can be heard some distance away from the cave entrance.

There is now a hole in the wall large enough for anyone in the party to walk through.

Darkantra
2008-10-02, 09:53 PM
Slavomir

Quick as a whip Slavomir sets his shield in place and draws his sword.

"Somevone iz in trouble, ve must hurry! Leave ze bear, it isn't going anyvere for now. Zough ve must come back to it later."

The paladin steps into the newly formed crack and waves the others forwards with his weapon arm.

"Hurry, vone of zese people may be ze vones ve search for."

Deathslayer7
2008-10-03, 03:22 PM
Cara follows

Feirgon
2008-10-03, 04:17 PM
Ja

Hearing the conversation and seeing Slavomir jump to action, Jarold quickly grabbed his drumsticks. If there was going to be a true fight, he knew what he would have to do.

Quickly he followed behind the rest, leaving the cavern last.

The cavern was narrow, but more than wide enough to run down, though footing was not a guarantee. The natural light shone bright, reflecting off the walls and moss in the cavern, the surfaces of the natural tunnel were moist and most of the rocks smooth. Water seemed to gather in this area, with the focus being the pool behind him. The tunnel ahead turned quickly right, as the sounds of the voices and hammering echoed louder down the corridor.

Jarold wondered if they would make it in time to save the man...or his daughter.

Cespenar
2008-10-04, 08:04 AM
Rhah

Rhah follows the group without much hesitation, though he ponders on the conversation while he's following.

"'Blast a hole?' So they have another mage with them..?"

By the way, neoseph7, can you check your last message for any possible mistakes in the speakers' names? I've got a feeling that the first two 'unknown 1's should be 'unknown 2' instead, and the first 'unknown 2' should be 'unknown 1'. I'm sorry if it's my misunderstanding, but it doesn't seem to fit as the way it is.

neoseph7
2008-10-04, 01:00 PM
You are indeed correct Cespenar. Good catch. I have editted the post and it should make sense now. Sorry guys. My bad.

The light in this cave section is coming primarily from the residual sunlight in the previous area and from the torch now moving further away. You come across a man in leather armor fumbling with a viscous looking wand. Several yards away from him is a pale looking figure strapped to the Gods only know what, though the light is too dim to determine any more than that.

Let's say that you guys are collectively at distance zero (with indivual members of the party as much as 10' ahead). Harvin is 30' from you, and Anderson is 15' from him and 45' from you. I'll try to bring up a map, but you guys can describe the room features, roll for initiative, and state what you attack plans are (out to two rounds would speed up combat). Spellcraft or Knowledge Arcana can be used to identify the wand.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-04, 01:47 PM

int: [roll0]

Cara will aim at either one, and move away from the group a little, so were arent as clustered, and she has no body in the way of her bullets.

attack1: [roll1]
damage1: [roll2]

attack2: [roll3]
damage2: [roll4]

wow that is pathetic.... :smallannoyed:

Darkantra
2008-10-04, 05:30 PM
Slavomir
AC: 17, HP: 11/11

[roll0]

Coming into the room and seeing only two of the people attributable to the voices had Slavomir looking quickly to take the whole room in. It smelled of stale air, and a little of mold from one corner of the room where a slow drip of water from the ceiling vanished into another crack. The man who presumably was Mr. Anderson was straining in anger from where he sat, though Slavomir could not quite figure out what he was strapped to in the bad lighting.

The other man, Harvin, was fumbling with the wand as if to activate it. Even though Slavomir had no idea which of the men were villains, if either, he knew the dangers a magical wand could bring.

"In ze name of ze Farmer's Guild of Vhite Steel Port I charge you both to be still, you are trespassing on Guild and City property, and drop ze vand," he levels his shortsword at Harvin, "Or ve shall be forced to fight."

I'll ready an action to charge Harvin if he doesn't drop the wand or tries to activate it. Since he's within 30 ft and I can only ready a standard, move or free action, I can still charge up to my speed but not double.

[roll1] to try and get Harvin to drop the wand
[roll2]
[roll3]

Round two, assuming that Slavomir is next to Harvin, he'll attack him again. If he's not next to Harvin, he'll make a 5-foot step or just move next to him.

[roll4]
[roll5]

5 on both attack rolls, huh. If the forum roller makes the next person here get two of the same roll in a row, I'll have to cry foul.

neoseph7
2008-10-04, 06:38 PM
While I don't want to have to use a different roll program, you guys can use a different site if you like. Only because I know how simply horrid the roller in these forums is.

J-H
2008-10-04, 10:38 PM
Willem HP 13 AC 15 [roll0]

Having gone with the others into the room, Willem sees the man who must be Harvin attempting to activate a magical item. Given the instruction to blow a hole in the ceiling, it poses an immediate threat.

Willem decides to remove the immediate threat, while hopefully not killing the man before he can be questioned.
Can I overrun as part of a run or charge? It's not discussed but seems logical. 30' is half of a full run action for me, and an overrun is a standard action.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#overrun
[roll1]
[roll2]
If not, Willem will move forward 20' (max movement) towards Harvin)

neoseph7
2008-10-05, 12:35 AM
I don't have my phb on me at the moment, but I will allow it. If there was really an issue, it would be that a natural cave floor covered in guano shouldn't allow a charge action to begin with. I'm pretty sure we all have better things to do than split hairs, so overrunning as part of a charge is cool, in this instance at least. If I read elsewhere that it is specifically not allowed, I will make that the rule later.

You may take no other actions (apart from free actions) when running. Running is a full round action where you move X4 (more or less) your standard move speed if moving in a straight line. Because it makes sense, I allow jumping as part of a run action, but otherwise you cannot take other actions.

Cespenar
2008-10-05, 07:27 AM
Rhah HP 7, AC 11

Considering what he heard, he suspects the wand has probably a fiery power, but regardless, Rhah tries to discern the its identity as he barges in with the rest of the group, and readies himself to cast a simple spell that he have learned long ago, one to attack the man's mind.

[roll0]

Casts Daze on Harvin, forcing a DC 13 Will save.

Feirgon
2008-10-05, 12:14 PM
Ja

HP: 6/6 AC: 16

Being short has its adavantages; ask any halfling or kobold. One can easliy fit into small places, is harder to hit, and can go unnoticed. And sometimes there are drawbacks. These drawbacks present themselves usually when the halfling or kobold in question is with a group of humans or elves.

Upon entering the opening, Jarold was greeted by the backs of his companions. To say that he could see nothing else is bit of an understatement. He could also see the ceiling, the floor, the walls, and if he turned around, he could even see the tunnel from which the entered. He couldn't see the people up ahead, which was probably a good thing, as Jarold didn't see himself as a frontline fighter.

A wand?! Jarold thought to himself. I better act quickly then.

Jarold began a drumroll and broke into an inspirational song...

Your butt is ours, if you start a fight
Just show your face in broad daylight
I'm telling you just how I feel
Your goin' to jail, cause you shouldn't kill.

I'm giving you to the count of three
Drop your stuff, or let it be
I'm telling you what you should do
Cause we're smart and strong and out number you.

They say the sky's the limit and for us that's really true
But my friend you have seen nothing, just wait til we get through

Because we'll win, we'll win
Really, really win!
Because we'll win, we'll win
Really, really win!
You know we'll win, we'll win
Really, really win!
And the whole world has to answer right now just to tell you once again,
Who'll win...

Initiative: [roll0]

And even though I don't need to roll for Inspire Courage I want to any way :smallsmile:
Perform (sing): [roll1]
Perform (drums): [roll2]

Oh, for anyone who goes after my initiative, add 1 to your attack rolls and your damage rolls. Also add one to saves against charm and fear effects.

Rhah needs to roll initiative :smalltongue:

Cespenar
2008-10-05, 02:35 PM
Right, sorry.
[roll0]

neoseph7
2008-10-05, 06:42 PM
The turn order is Rhah, Harvin (who lost his turn this round on account of failing his will save), and then the rest of the party in really whatever order you like.

Rhah is able to determine that the wand is a wand of fireball.

Willem succeeds in overrunning the man, as Harvin chooses to avoid his attack (imp. Overrun?); but Slavomir's attacks are unsuccesful.

J-H: If you'd like to do something different or were intending something different, just post it. If you are curious about rules, PM me.