PDA

View Full Version : Tornados!

ForzaFiori
2008-08-26, 03:44 PM
Yep, thats right. Tornados. All around where I live (pretty much all of upstate SC and northern GA have or had tornado watches today), and 2 went by my school.

DraPrime
2008-08-26, 03:46 PM
And this is why I prefer to live in New England. Because I never run the risk that a gigantic column of spinning wind will NEVER come along and destroy stuff.

ForzaFiori
2008-08-26, 03:48 PM
Its not like I'm in Tornado alley or anything. Its just the rements of that dang tropical storm. Its weird, in my life, There have been two days I can remember having tornados hit. They were both in the past 2 months.

Atomsized
2008-08-26, 03:49 PM
Yeah, Dragon's got a point. Nothing ever happens up here in New England. Or nothing that i know of. Maybe floods, but that doesn't happen very often.

DraPrime
2008-08-26, 03:50 PM
Well we do get the occasional big blizzard

Shas aia Toriia
2008-08-26, 03:53 PM
But DP, there was a tornado in Massachusetts, not too long ago.

DraPrime
2008-08-26, 03:56 PM
Not too long ago? That was a year ago at least. And it was tiny. It just tossed a pickup and gave the people in it some bruises.

Atomsized
2008-08-26, 03:56 PM
Tornado in MA? I haven't heard of that one. Well, all i ever hear now is news in western Massachusetts.

TwoBitWriter
2008-08-26, 04:10 PM
We get some real winners in Oklahoma. After a while, they just don't scare you that much anymore.

I remember when that F5 tore through central oklahoma several years ago, my family and I were out on the front porch watching the circulation.

WalkingTarget
2008-08-26, 04:14 PM
If I remember my Severe and Unusual Weather course right, there have been Tornadoes recorded in every state. Severe ones are just more common in some areas.

Dave Rapp
2008-08-26, 04:30 PM
We get some real winners in Oklahoma. After a while, they just don't scare you that much anymore.

I remember when that F5 tore through central oklahoma several years ago, my family and I were out on the front porch watching the circulation.

Aye. Us in the midwest are used to tornadoes about as much as those in NYC are used to getting the finger from a guy, on a bike, going the wrong way, who just cut them off.

ForzaFiori
2008-08-26, 05:11 PM
well, you midwesterners may be used to it, but this here southeasterner isn't. We've had 4 or 5 that I know of hit down i think.

Lord Tataraus
2008-08-26, 05:26 PM
Aye. Us in the midwest are used to tornadoes about as much as those in NYC are used to getting the finger from a guy, on a bike, going the wrong way, who just cut them off.

Yep, Indiana gets ~90 a year, they're nothing special to me. I mean, they last about an hour tops and cover a relatively small amount of land during that time (usually). Though in SC that's unusual, but its better than a hurricane.

Manoftyr
2008-08-26, 05:34 PM
Heh, wow...I've never seen a tornado up close in my life...but I guess that comes with living on Long Island for my whole life :smalltongue:

Zanthur
2008-08-26, 05:53 PM
I live in Traverse City, MI, which is in the northern part and is so effected by the bays that we havent had a tornado IN TC for... well probably a good 50 years. Most of the time we have bad weather, the wind off the bays pushes it instate so we just get high winds. The warm and cool fronts never clash to make a tornado. I think a year or two ago there was a possible funnel cloud about 5 or 10 miles from where I live, but it didnt develop into anything and we all just went on with our lives.

Snow is a different story here. Michigan is known for having odd weather in the first place, since it is composed of two peninsulas, however Traverse City is known for having even stranger weather because it is at the base of another small peninsula. We dont always get the worse snow (because of the winds pushing everything instate again) but we get odd stuff. Called Lake-Effect snow. In otherwords, we'll have 1-2 inches predicted and end up with well over a foot. Or the other way around. I remember once two winters ago, we had a storm so bad you could hold your hand infront of your face and hardly see your finger tips. Its certainly an intersting place to live though. My favorite odd thing is when I'm driving home in the rain and going down a back road, I'll be on wet pavement because its raining and 10 feet in front of me there is a distinct line where the rain stops and the pavement is perfectly dry. We get that with snow too. In town (I live about 5 miles out of town), there'll be about 3 or 4 inches of snow, but once I pass the mall, there is literally a point that you can see the snow just raise up and by my house there'll be well over a foot or two.

wxdruid
2008-08-26, 07:38 PM
Tornadoes have occurred in all 50 states, tornado alley is just more prone to them, due to the weather conditions there.

The sad thing is...I've lived in Tornado alley for most of my life and still haven't seen one.

Pocketa
2008-08-26, 08:46 PM
I srurvived one.

That's right.

srurvived.

Back in KY.

Pyro
2008-08-26, 09:09 PM
We had a tornado watch today too, but it wasn't considerate enough to occur after school during band practice rather than during my first period. :smallmad:

Pocketa
2008-08-26, 10:30 PM
I don't like band practice either. I'm in orchestra and jazz ensemble and I didn't even audition.

It's like the cheerleading squad.

9 girls applied and 12 were accepted.

ForzaFiori
2008-08-27, 05:49 AM
I don't like band practice either. I'm in orchestra and jazz ensemble and I didn't even audition.

It's like the cheerleading squad.

9 girls applied and 12 were accepted.

dang. At my school, band is a big thing, and our orchestra and jazz ensemble are huge. Like everyone in band classes are in at least one, some in both.

Ilena
2008-08-27, 06:16 AM
Well i like it just fine in bc, all we have to worry about is a 300 year 7 or above earthquake that should be happening any year now (about 400 years since the last one now ...) and volcanoes, and minor flooding that could possibly happen although i live in an area that its basicly impossible to flood unless theres ALOT as in ocean of water ...

TwoBitWriter
2008-08-27, 07:54 AM
We had a tornado watch today too, but it wasn't considerate enough to occur after school during band practice rather than during my first period. :smallmad:

Its funny, we don't even give tornado watches a second thought. Me and my sisters would still go outside and play during a watch.

Even now, I have gone out in my car to the grocery store during a tornado watch.

soozenw
2008-08-27, 08:08 AM
Snow is a different story here. Michigan is known for having odd weather in the first place, since it is composed of two peninsulas, however Traverse City is known for having even stranger weather because it is at the base of another small peninsula. We dont always get the worse snow (because of the winds pushing everything instate again) but we get odd stuff. Called Lake-Effect snow. In otherwords, we'll have 1-2 inches predicted and end up with well over a foot. Or the other way around. I remember once two winters ago, we had a storm so bad you could hold your hand infront of your face and hardly see your finger tips. Its certainly an intersting place to live though. My favorite odd thing is when I'm driving home in the rain and going down a back road, I'll be on wet pavement because its raining and 10 feet in front of me there is a distinct line where the rain stops and the pavement is perfectly dry. We get that with snow too. In town (I live about 5 miles out of town), there'll be about 3 or 4 inches of snow, but once I pass the mall, there is literally a point that you can see the snow just raise up and by my house there'll be well over a foot or two.

You could be describing Northwest Indiana as well. Exact same phenomena, lake effect snow and all.

Pyro
2008-08-27, 03:19 PM
Its funny, we don't even give tornado watches a second thought. Me and my sisters would still go outside and play during a watch.

Even now, I have gone out in my car to the grocery store during a tornado watch.

Haha I did that once. There was a tornado watch going on, sirens blaring, the wind whipping around trees, and the sky was threatening to burst with rain, but I went outside anyway. You have to admit there's just something totally awe inspiring and powering about how strong nature really is. When it flexes itself on a particularly windy day, I still can't help but watch because it's just that cool.

RTGoodman
2008-08-27, 03:22 PM
My whole family is freaking out now because there are tornado and severe thunderstorm watches all around and tornado warnings about an hour EAST of us (with the weather moving away from us).

Hooray for NC in the summer...

The J Pizzel
2008-08-27, 04:01 PM
Yeah, you should come visit me in Louisiana. We don't have tornado's. Tornado's are for the weak (/sarcasm). We have fu**ing hurricanes. Giant harbringers of death that carry multiple tornado's in it's fingertips. Oh yes, everyone knows about Katrina...but what most people didn't hear about was Rita. That hurricane hit my little southwest louisiana city about 2 weeks after Katrina. But guess what my city was frappin full of? KATRINA EVACUEE'S !!!. Wanna hear the best part...I work for the local government. I'm the telecommunications nerd. So I work hand in hand with OHSEP (office of homeland security and emergency preparedness). And I just got promoted. Which means A) everytime there's a diturbance heading the for Gulf (can we say Gustav) my ass gets in high gear and B) I don't get to leave for a CAT 3 or lower storm (again, can we say Gustav). That's right. We go to the highest floor of the Government Building and just wait it out. Ask me how my wife too that news.

Seriously though, I'm moving inland. This sucks.

jP

Trog
2008-08-27, 04:59 PM
I srurvived one.

That's right.

srurvived.

Back in KY.

*steals ruby slippers* :smallamused:

I have seen one in my life. Very small, thankfully. I find the videos taken by storm chasers and the movie Twister to be both fascinating and horrifying all at the same time. Tornadoes are one of the few things I dream about that still wake me up in the night. :smalleek:

wxdruid
2008-08-27, 05:02 PM
I own the movie Twister and have fun taking the tornadoes apart, along with the supposed meteorological terms they use. It's great fun.

If the sirens go off, it's a tornado warning. A tornado is expected somewhere in the warned area.

TwoBitWriter
2008-08-27, 06:03 PM
Yeah, even I take precautions with a Tornado warning or when I hear the sirens go off.

ForzaFiori
2008-08-27, 07:54 PM
My whole family is freaking out now because there are tornado and severe thunderstorm watches all around and tornado warnings about an hour EAST of us (with the weather moving away from us).

Hooray for NC in the summer...

That would be the stuff that passed over me and caused my tornados.