PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Warrior

shadow_archmagi
2008-08-26, 08:49 PM
What feats does a psychic warrior take other than Monastic Training+Tashalatora?

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-26, 08:51 PM
What feats does a psychic warrior take other than Monastic Training+Tashalatora?

what are you trying to do with it?

and have you heard of the king of smack?

shadow_archmagi
2008-08-26, 09:21 PM
what are you trying to do with it?

and have you heard of the king of smack?

I'm trying to make a character for a campaign. My partners are an articifer, a ranger, an elemental savant wannabe (he'll put levels in it as soon as he qualifies).

They won't be overly optimized, and I have no idea whether the campaign will be infinite dungeon crawling or nothing but parties and social affairs or a dungeon party or what.

Yes, I've heard of the king of smack, but I see no reason to inflict pointless suffering.

mabriss lethe
2008-08-26, 09:22 PM
considering the flexibility of psychic warrior, the best answer is "whatever you damned well please." they get tons of bonus feats that can be blown on any psionic or fighter feat, plus the usual allotment of feats that every other character gets.

I've found that you can do a whole heck of a lot with Expanded Knowledge (astral construct) and Skin of the construct. it nets you 1d8 temporary hp plus granting you one Menu A power from the Astral construct list for 1 rd/level. that can be used to boost speed, fly, net some additional hit points, get energy resistances, a deflection bonus to AC, gain temp temporary access to several other feats (cleave, power attack, mobility, improved bull rush.) and a few other odds and ends. A good deal of flexibility at a minimum investment. Especially since the SotC doesn't count against the number of constructs you can create.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-26, 10:30 PM
I'm trying to make a character for a campaign. My partners are an articifer, a ranger, an elemental savant wannabe (he'll put levels in it as soon as he qualifies).

They won't be overly optimized, and I have no idea whether the campaign will be infinite dungeon crawling or nothing but parties and social affairs or a dungeon party or what.

Yes, I've heard of the king of smack, but I see no reason to inflict pointless suffering.

What about a Urban Ranger -1, Psion -6 (5, Psionic PRC -1 with BAB averaging), Slayer - X? Not super optimizied both PCs can do interesting stuff but the Slayer benefits from More PP and Powers after the Level 6 - 8 ccross over point.

TheOOB
2008-08-26, 10:56 PM
What about a Urban Ranger -1, Psion -6 (5, Psionic PRC -1 with BAB averaging), Slayer - X? Not super optimizied both PCs can do interesting stuff but the Slayer benefits from More PP and Powers after the Level 6 - 8 ccross over point.

Remember that the slayer is the ithalid slayer(sp?) in the book and most it's abilitys only work on mindflayers greatly reducing it's usefulness.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-26, 11:14 PM
Remember that the slayer is the ithalid slayer(sp?) in the book and most it's abilitys only work on mindflayers greatly reducing it's usefulness.

True but I was thinking of the SRD Slayer:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm

Doesn't require the Illithiad slaying to enter the PRC.

Vexxation
2008-08-26, 11:17 PM

I dunno, complete immunity to everything mind effecting is pretty powerful.

Frownbear
2008-08-26, 11:23 PM
Linked Power from CPsi is pretty important, otherwise you won't be able to buff up very fast!

Eldariel
2008-08-26, 11:39 PM
The thing about Slayer is the fact that it's just like Eldritch Knight, except it also gets class features. So it's a martial caster class, except it just also happens to get all the cool stuff. So vs. bonus feat, a Slayer gets Immunity to Mind-Affecting, Nondetection (constant, complete and without check to beat), power resistance-piercing weapons and favored enemies along with power turning all Mind Blasts. So yea, the Slayer is cool. Full BAB, near full manifesting and solid class features.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-26, 11:50 PM
It even gets 4 SPs a level.:smallsmile:

mangosta71
2008-08-27, 12:27 AM
Linked Power from CPsi is pretty important, otherwise you won't be able to buff up very fast!

I always avoided Psychic Warriors because I didn't have this book, so I didn't know about this feat. Manifesting one power at a time, the combat is over before you're ready to enter the fray.

Zeful
2008-08-27, 12:46 AM
Except A psychic warrior doesn't need to cast to much, maybe an extended metaphysical weapon, greater, before you think something's going to happen and then Vampire Blade against a big guy and Breath of the Black Dragon when things get to crowded.

However I would recommend pick a playstyle and then pick powers and feats to match. The Psychic Warrior is versatile enough to do so.

Though I like Deep Impact and a roguish playstyle, you make the first attack of the surprise round require an Ac of 10+natural armor (I believe)

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-27, 01:11 AM
What is the King of Smack? Psychic Warriors look interresting, but I've never made one.

Zeful
2008-08-27, 01:16 AM
The King of Smack is probably the most powerful psychic melee build in the game. It is centred around the Claws of the Beast power, and could take down pretty much anything.

Edea
2008-08-27, 01:18 AM
The King of Smack (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=227556)

I believe this is the original thread; not sure.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-27, 01:29 AM
Thanks for telling me.:smallsmile: I'm not sure if I'd personally want to use that build, but it sounds effective.

Waspinator
2008-08-27, 01:56 AM
"King of Smack" is a highly optimized Claws of the Beast build. Not every psychic warrior, or not even every one of them that uses Claws, has to take it that far, but the basic concept is pretty simple: use Claws of the Beast as your primary weapon and pick lots of stuff that power up your claws.

Swok
2008-08-27, 01:59 AM
The best part about it is it's easy to flavor to game power level. "Well, I don't need INA, or I don't need Imp. Rapidstrike. Hell, it can do fairly well with just Claws of the Beast and Claws of the Vampire. the rest just contributes to being more powerful.

Hmm. Kinda sorta ninja'd?

Starbuck_II
2008-08-27, 07:12 AM

Psicrystal Affinity and Containment (so your friends holds an extra Psionic focus).
Psionic Weapon and Deep Impact: Nothing like power attack versus touch AC.
Mediation is useful for getting Focus back along with the Hustle power.

Those all the only big ones.

shadow_archmagi
2008-08-27, 07:57 AM
Psicrystal Affinity and Containment (so your friends holds an extra Psionic focus).
Psionic Weapon and Deep Impact: Nothing like power attack versus touch AC.
Mediation is useful for getting Focus back along with the Hustle power.

Those all the only big ones.

Its a shame I've only got seven feats, and I lost two of them for unarmed and unarmored combat, and I can only pick five...

Gah! Its so hard to choose!

EDITED

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-27, 07:58 AM
Its a shame I've only got five feats, and I lost two of them for unarmed and unarmored combat, and I can only pick three...

Gah! Its so hard to choose!

Any chance of using the Flaw Variant for bonus feats?