PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Mods

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-26, 09:34 PM
I have somewhere between 100 and 200 hours clocked on Oblivion on the 360. Its great fun, and I had thought myself yearning to play again. Instead of going back to my 360, I decided to finally cough up the thirty bucks to play it on the PC, after all the cool stuff I heard about mods. Downloading the game now.

I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some cool mods for the game. I am essentially looking for a seperate monster advancement system, but am open to other cool stuff. I am also looking foward to maxing out some skills when I get bored, and just going on massive killing sprees. Any way to increase skills to obscene levels? Maybe some put in codes using (~)?

Also feel free to discuss the game in general, of course.

Kane
2008-08-26, 11:21 PM
Archaeologists Guild. Get it.

Go look up Lost Spires. Now! Now! Hurry!

Also, some mods modify the magik-y stuff really well. I'm using (well, Oblivion is out on loan to a friend, but..) Midas Magic Mod, and it's a lot of fun, as well as adding a few new quests.

Then search for minor mods according to your taste.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-27, 12:05 AM
Alright, a whole new guild questline. Woot!

After a bit of research, I've also decided to download Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (mostly for the leveling system. Looks nifty), and the Overlord Overhaul (for silly things like Light spell colors). Should be fun. :smallsmile:

Xavios
2008-08-27, 12:24 AM
I was just about to suggest Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul when I saw this thread. The mod is fantastic and changes all sorts of neat little things, along with the massive ones. I think the potion changes are my favourite. I would also suggest the Streamline Mod and the Open Cities Mod. Open Cities makes everything surprisingly a lot easier, and the Streamline Mod makes everything run a whole lot nicer, which is handy as the OOO and Open Cities can slow you down a bit.

Have fun Modding. :D

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-27, 12:34 AM
MegaMagick is very nice, for both casters and non-casters. I think it's OOO's compatible. There is also a mod for combat, which adds shield bashes, horse combat, limb-cutting and the such. I never really tested it out, however.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-27, 12:43 AM
Can somebody tell if Lost Spire compatible with OOO?

Jibar
2008-08-27, 01:55 AM
Hmm... lemme see what have I got...

The RealSwords set though I never turn it on.
Quest Award Levelling is vital, especially if you're a mage.
I found two great little mods that add Frostmourne and a set of armour based on Altiar into the game. Both are worth downloading for some fun.
The BT Mod fixes up that silly inventory system. My friends ask what's wrong with it, after they saw the BT mod in action they understood.
I have a... Darnified UI in here as well. Huh. What does that do?
Oooo, and my favourite mod: Dwemer Spectacles. Adds glasses into the game, as well as eyepatches for really glamming up your character, but best of all it adds a couple sets of Steampunk goggles which look damn good.

I've been thinking about Obscuros for a while, because I really truly hate the levelling system.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-27, 05:56 PM
How do you minimize the game while playing? I cant seem to figure it out... The windows button (whatever the thing is on the bottom left of your keyboard) isnt working like it will in most games, and I cant find an option anywhere.

Also, after installing both mods, I started to see giant broken florescent-ish... things every once in awhile in the starting dungeon. You can kind of see what looks like the background of a coffin standing up on both sides of it. Anyone else have this problem ever? Or know what I'm talking about?

Jimp
2008-08-27, 06:04 PM
Does holding Alt and pressing Tab work?
Some games don't like it, works for most though.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-27, 06:06 PM
Does holding Alt and pressing Tab work?
Some games don't like it, works for most though.

Just tried it. Didnt work. :smallannoyed:

I wouldent even mind playing it in a window if I had to. If only I could find that choice.... Stubborn Oblivion.

Edit: Just found the option for windowed.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-27, 06:28 PM
Erm, I think I found the problem with the floresent green thing. I had thought that I had installed everything correctly, but apparently not, as when I had tried to wear some modded armor, my character just appeared as if the armor was invisable. I'm sure those who have had the problem would know what I am talking about.

What did I do?!

Jimp
2008-08-27, 06:35 PM
It probably can't find the graphic for the item, so it just shows nothing. Check the mod's files and make sure they are in the correct folders.

Recaiden
2008-08-27, 09:46 PM
@Myatar: you probably istalled some textures incorrectly, try reextracting the mod and putting the folders into your data folder, selecting yes to all when it asks to overwrite.
Darnified UI makes everything look darker, ( I think)
I play a heavily modded Oblivion:
OOO is compatible with most mods that don't modify leveled lists, including lost Spires.

FCOM Convergence is a gigantic replacer/deleveler mod compilation. It includes Oscuros, Martigen's Monsters, Francesco's items, and support for other mods. It's also horribly complicated.

For quests: Lost Spires, Ruined Tail's Tale, and Tears of the Fiend.

Supreme Magicka is good if you play as a mage, as is Midas Magic.
Seconding dwemer spectacles.

Some portions of Modular Oblivion Enhanced may be useful to you. Many of the options make the game more Morrowind-like.

Deadly Reflex is the aforementioned combat option enhancing mod.

Open Cities or Better Cities are both very nice mods, but they are incompatible with a great many others, which can possibly be fixed with the console. I ended up with problems like 2 Cheydinhalls. One looked nice, one had mod added buildings.

Neftren
2008-08-27, 09:56 PM
Deadly Reflex is a good one that adds mounted combat capacity and a more dynamic blocking system which makes you have to time your blocks...
Open Cities is spectacular and turns the towns into a more Morrowind-ish feel, so that you don't have to load into every town.

I have a few others but those are the two that did the most for me.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-28, 12:51 AM
Yeah, not sure what went wrong the first time, but I just extracted the files again and it started working properly.

I went ahead and made a mage character, just so I could do the stuff with Midas Magic and Supreme Magicka (so far I have been able to conjure a Watermelon Atranoch :smallbiggrin:). I also went to try out the Archeologists guild, but the first quest is near impossible for a level one, with the whole constant monster levels thing. I was able to kite the first 3 Ogres, but after that the areas get too small to really take advantage of their slow movement, and I found myself backing up into wolfs. :smallannoyed:

In fact, nearly everything I've run into has been deadly. Are there any safe-adventuring-areas for a level one? I assume the main quest-line.

Also, destruction seems to be leveling far slower than usual. After killing 3 ogres at once (at least 15 minutes of fighting) by flare spamming, I only leveled up destruction once and about half a bar. This doesnt seem right at so low a level... Does OOO or something increase the time it takes to advance in skills? Maybe a scaling system (more XP for killing creatures than firing spells or more XP for more powerful spells) or something?

Cespenar
2008-08-28, 06:38 AM
Well, besides Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, I can suggest:

Darker Dungeons
Immersive Interface
Kobus Character Advancement System
Living Economy
Marts Monster Mod (or MMM)
No Psychic Guards
Persuasion Overhaul
Real Sleep
Realistic Fatigue
Stealth Overhaul
Living Economy

I had a bunch more installed, but these are the more important ones. Just google them and they'll probably show up.

Beware though, chance of CTDs increases exponentially(really, I have a chart :smalltongue:) with the number of installed mods.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-28, 08:09 PM
Ugh, I've been trying to download Deadly Reflexes, but the only place I can find the latest version on is tesnexus.com, and they require an account... which I tried to make, but I never got the confirmation email. :smallannoyed:

Anyone know anywhere else I can get this mod?

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-29, 12:58 AM
GAHHHHHH! :smallfurious:

So after finally finding a way to download Deadly Reflexes, it says I need OBSE. So I download that, and it says to put it in my Oblivion Directory. Which I did. Only, it keeps saying whenever I try to run the loader: "You have an unknown version of Oblivion".

Here is the address for where I put the files: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion

Thats the right area right? Its where the normal loader is... /sigh

I shall give an internet to the first person to solve my delema. Please. I beg you all. :smallfrown:

If it helps I have Vista.

warty goblin
2008-08-29, 09:27 AM
I think it means you have to patch Oblivion, since OBSE only works with the latest version, which is to say, not the version that comes on the disc.

Oregano
2008-08-29, 09:37 AM
Yer, patch Oblivion, not only for OBSE but it'll run more smoothly on Vista as there was some compatibility errors with the Off-the-disc version, I prefer mods that add clothes personally, like one for more hair and one for cloaks and capes, they're awesome.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-29, 05:25 PM
Well, I didn't get Oblivion from a disk, but bought and downloaded through Direct2Drive, which I would assume would come pre-patched. And if they didn't, then it looks like I wont be able to patch it, as all the patches dont work with Direct2Drive downloads.

And I might have found a way around my problem, gonna check it out now.

Neftren
2008-08-29, 06:07 PM
To Patch:
• Google "Oblivion Patch"
• Look around for a third party link. TESNexus or Filefront should have it.
• To save you some trouble, I have it for you here. Oblivion v1.2 Patch (http://files.filefront.com/Oblivion+Patch+v12+English/;7008510;/fileinfo.html)
• Note: The Shivering Isles will auto-patch Oblivion to 1.2 if you install it.
• You should also get the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=1417) for numerous bug fixes.

To Install: OBSE+Deadly Reflexes
• Download OBSE (Latest Version -- v12 I think?) + Deadly Reflexes (4.3?)
• Drag the OBSE files into the directory /Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion*
• If XP, extract the Deadly Reflex files like they tell you. If in Vista, open WinRAR in Administrator mode and extract from the WinRAR UI. This is important because otherwise some files won't make it into the gamefolder.
• If you use the game launcher to run the game, get the OBSE Compatible Game Launcher (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=9400).

*It could be /Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion/Data -- I'm not sure right now. I'm currently on my Mac.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-29, 11:15 PM
Ugh, this is getting crazy. So eventually I just decided to uninstall/ re-install Oblivion. Then I try for an hour or so to get the patch, only to realize that I already had it.

Ok, so now OBSE. Only its still not working. I basically opened the file using WinRAR then dragged the loader, 2 editors, and other 3 .dll's as the read-me instructed into the Oblivion directory, heres a picture of what the whole deal looks like, including the error which pops up when I try double-clicking on the OBSE loader (in case you can see the problem): http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2065/obseissuekg1.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=obseissuekg1.jpg)

Also, this was the version I downloaded: http://obse.silverlock.org/ v0015a

warty goblin
2008-08-29, 11:19 PM
Well, I figured out your problem. Turns out the D2D version of Oblivion is encrypted, which means that OBSE can't find the parts of the game that it needs to do it's script extending magic. Looks like you're out of luck I'm afraid.

Here's the link explaining all of this: OBSE homepage (http://obse.silverlock.org/)

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-29, 11:21 PM
UGH. Must have missed that.... well that sucks. :smallfrown:

No Deadly Reflex or similar mods for me... Looks like the convinience of downloading instead of buying at a store cost me more time trying to figure this out, and to no avail, than it would have taken to drive up to the store and back...

Edit: If anyone knows any sort of alternative OBSE or something, please let me know. The whole reason for me to buying Oblivion again was for mods like this, wouldent want to miss out.

SilverSheriff
2008-08-30, 09:24 AM
I just forked out $80 for Oblivion with both expansions(payed of some of my Fable 2 pre-order too. :biggrin:)

does anyone know much about the Assassin's Creed Clothing and Weapons mod?

Jibar
2008-08-30, 09:52 AM
does anyone know much about the Assassin's Creed Clothing and Weapons mod?

Yo. Alaways have it running on mine.
It looks superb, and the wrist blade is a vice nice touch.
If you want it though, you gotta fight for it. Not too hard, but considering if you're equipping it you're probably playing a stealth character it can be irksome.
There are apparantly red and black versions available with a little more fighting, but I can never find them.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-30, 12:50 PM
After fideling around with OOO, I noticed that it seems to give a HUGE buff to all forms of damage. For instance, with OOO off, flare does 6 damage, with OOO on, it does 15. Same could be said about melee weapons, on an imperial warrior level 1, I had a Iron Warhammer which damaged for 12.

What do people think about this? It seems pretty fair (as the NPC's damage fast too), does it just quicken battles? Or are there other repercusions to using this system? If so, how might I disable it without damaging the rest of the mod?

(and yes I am sure it is OOO doing this. I had no other mods turned on when I was expirimenting with it)