PDA

View Full Version : Sig Length

The Demented One
2006-09-18, 08:17 PM
Is there any way that coding can be made to not count against the maximum number of characters in your signature? I use size tags to keep mine at a manageable size, and it ends up reducing the amount of text I can have. Plus, having any links is murder--only way I was able to fit the three in my signature was with heavy use of tinyurl.

Zherog
2006-09-18, 11:13 PM
If Rich were to appoint me overlord of the boards - for some foolish reason that's beyond comprehension ;) - I'd make sigs shorter and ban images in them, too.

But that's me. I'd also ban animated avatars, if anybody cares what other havoc I'd unleash. ;)

Overlord
2006-09-18, 11:49 PM
Hmm. I'v been having that same problem. Links are a killer. It seems like the sig should be made so that they are unlimited in terms of character length, but limited in size. Maybe you could limit them to a certain number of pixels, or something like that. However, I think that doing so (if it's even feasible) would involve restructuring the YaBB code that Mr. Burlew uses (I really have no idea how bulletin board programming works).

Jack Mann
2006-09-19, 01:14 AM
Well, TinyURL helps some.

Damian_Blackclaw
2006-09-22, 01:33 PM
If Rich were to appoint me overlord of the boards - for some foolish reason that's beyond comprehension ;) - I'd make sigs shorter and ban images in them, too.

But that's me. I'd also ban animated avatars, if anybody cares what other havoc I'd unleash. ;)

I do, tell me more about this Havoc!

Damian the Darghk

RawBearNYC
2006-09-22, 03:07 PM
Is there any way that coding can be made to not count against the maximum number of characters in your signature? I use size tags to keep mine at a manageable size, and it ends up reducing the amount of text I can have. Plus, having any links is murder--only way I was able to fit the three in my signature was with heavy use of tinyurl.

Sorry to disappiont you, but the general consensus of the management here at GitP.com is that we'd like to find ways to shorten sigs, not lengthen them. Sorry, mate.

Wukei
2006-09-22, 07:08 PM

I must admit, my sig picture is a bit big...but if you've seen the little buttons for the Town Comics that people have been using, it's not that big a deal to see images in sigs.

The problem, usually, is peoples sigs are bigger than their actual posts.

Zherog
2006-09-22, 08:04 PM
*shrug*

You might think they're OK. I don't. I didn't expect people to agree with me, especially those who place images in their sigs.

The Demented One
2006-09-22, 08:59 PM
Sorry to disappiont you, but the general consensus of the management here at GitP.com is that we'd like to find ways to shorten sigs, not lengthen them. Sorry, mate.
But...stuff in tags doesn't actually make it longer. No chance you could just cut sig length, but exclude code, or somesuch?

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-09-22, 09:07 PM
But...stuff in tags doesn't actually make it longer. No chance you could just cut sig length, but exclude code, or somesuch?
I gotta toss in agreement here.

Especially when using tables. Tables can help make sigs less... unsightly, but they eat up far too much character room.

Wukei
2006-09-22, 11:00 PM
Yes...I love my table...

y'know...it's funny...I made the comic of the Town, and I swear I'm the only one in the Town not sporting a link...

But I understand the irritation with sig pictures, I really do...but it's a ninchilla! He looks just like the real one...