PDA

View Full Version : 4e and PbP (suggestions)

OneFamiliarFace
2008-08-26, 10:45 PM
Hello again, fellow DMs.

I'm about to start up a couple of PbP games, and I was wondering how people had found doing PbP 4e. For example,

1) What is a good way to do map making?
2) Does the increased need for cooperation make it hard on players who can't table-talk due to their being spread across the entire globe?
3) Any other concerns that you didn't expect, but they came up anyway?

Thanks!

Dhavaer
2008-08-26, 10:49 PM
1) There's a function on the boards that lets you make decent ascii art, which can work.

2) Not particularly.

3) I suspect that immediate interrupts and reactions will make things hard, particularly the interrupts.

NecroRebel
2008-08-26, 10:56 PM
1. I've not found a good program for it... So far, of the options I've looked at, paint actually seems to be the most convenient since tactical maps have to be able to be changed rapidly and by anyone. It's abstract, but if you just make squares of different terrain types different colors (for instance, white for clear terrain, black for walls and other blocking terrain, yellow for difficult terrain, etc.), be consistent about it, and include a key for your players to use, you can quickly make maps for battles, change where your character markers are, and draw lines of effect. Just isn't pretty is all.

2. Not really. If you don't restrict the number of posts people can make, they can discuss things off-turn easily enough and even with the naturally slow pace this forces have plenty of time to discuss tactics in between turns.

Also, I've found that if the other players aren't complete morons tactically they will be able to work out what you want them to do from what you've done :smallsmile: Perhaps more realistic since the characters themselves don't always know what is in their companions' heads, yes?

3. The main problem I've had is in groups that don't use maps, in which it is very difficult to describe where and how you are moving. Other concerns, like rules interpretation differences, are fairly easy to see coming and in fact most DMs will specifically state if they are making an unusual ruling on something beforehand.

TheOOB
2008-08-26, 11:08 PM
As Dhavaer mentioned, 4e makes heavy use of immediate, free, and opportunity actions, which I think would make PbP games very difficult. I would strongly discourage players from taking powers that involve activating outside of their turn, otherwise your combat rounds could take days.