PDA

View Full Version : new character

Pelfaid
2008-08-26, 10:51 PM
One of my players just had his cleric die and is now looking for a new different class to try. He would like:
something interesting
" flaky
" useful
" fun
He doesn't mind spell casters but is interested in something different, I suggested the Binder and the Factotum but that is about it so now I call out to the playground; What should he play?

RTGoodman
2008-08-26, 10:56 PM
Depends on what he wants to do and what role (if any) he needs to fill. Does it have to be something that heals (since you just lost your Cleric)? Or can it be anything?

If it can be anything, Factotum is a great class that fits all the rest of your criteria. And if he wants, he can go Chameleon (PrC from Races of Destiny) to get even more "I do different things every day" out of his character. Bonus points for being a Changeling if it's allowed.

Also, if you have ToB he might look at Swordsage or Crusader. Swordsage has so many different maneuvers available and known that he could be pretty flaky, and the class (like most of ToB) is cool. He can even go unarmed swordsage if he wants ninja-style goodness. The Crusader works as a healer and tank, and it's maneuver recovery system can only be described as "flaky" if you're really into that.

Other than that, Warlock, Binder, Dread Necromancer, or maybe even Favored Soul could work. Or Barbarian - nothing says flaky fun like flipping out and killing people with a giant axe.

Rei_Jin
2008-08-26, 11:00 PM
You want something Flaky, Useful, AND Fun?

Well, I'm not sure how that narrows things down. But if you're looking for versatility, (which it seems like you are, based on the class recommendations you've already given him) I'd look at some of the following classes. Note that none of these are massively powerful classes, but they are versatile and fun (for me at least)

Bard
Truenamer
Warlock
Spirit Shaman

There's a lot more options out there, but I have no doubt that others will chime in with their opinion so there's no need for me to rattle everything off.

Animefunkmaster
2008-08-26, 11:03 PM
I will second the binder.

Factotum Chameleon is also very fun.

Vexxation
2008-08-26, 11:04 PM

To make him super-flaky, do a random roll to determine which type of spellcasting the Chameleon picks up, or which free feat.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-26, 11:04 PM
What level?

Chaotic Changeling Rogue -2, Factotum -3, Chameleon - X should be fun especially if you take Flaw to take the Non Binder Binder feats.

I prefer Binder with a Anima Mage. (Or tweaking the PRC to Mystic for divine casters).

Whisper Gnome Favored Soul for a God of Trickery and Pranks like Carl Glittergold.

Dr Bwaa
2008-08-26, 11:22 PM
My personal favorite class to put a flaky or unreliable character into is Artificer :smalleek:

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-27, 07:27 AM

You mean Changeling Factotum Chameleon :smallbiggrin:

mabriss lethe
2008-08-27, 03:12 PM
psion or psychic warrior, if you're using psionics. good fun to be had if you're into it.

Burley
2008-08-27, 03:34 PM
I suggest doing a sort of "Robots Vs. Dragons" kinda thing. Warforged Warlock/Dragonfire Adept. The Demons and Dragons are at war, and the Dragons (somehow) are winning. So, the Demons build a robot infused with infernal power to infiltrate the dragons, learn their secrets and defeat them. The problem? The Demon made the robot much too small.
So, Warforged (but small sized, cause why not?) with a few Warlock levels and a few Dragonfire Adept levels. (If it's Gestalt, then the character would actually be really ballin'.)

Seriously, though... Warlock or Dragonfire Adept are my votes. Useful, and no strict moral code to anyone? Sign me up!

Shai'Hulud
2008-08-27, 06:26 PM
I personally love the pact magic system and the accompanying class. It feels very unique to me and the influence of the being(s) you pact with on your personality could provide some very interesting quirks.

Tokiko Mima
2008-08-27, 06:52 PM
Be a warlock.
Take Baleful Utterance.
Shatter at will objects into tiny chips.
Frost them via Hellrime Blast.
Collect them and put them into boxes.
Get an awakened tiger to say your cereal is 'Grrrrrr... ate!'
See? Flakey, fun, and useful!

You could also go around shattering corn to make Corn flakes too I suppose, but you'd need a rooster then. If you start shattering other people's clothing in order to stun and deafen them, you can add perverted to the list. Shatter is only limited by your imagination and the technical definition of 'what is an object?'