PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Powered Armor/Mech?

Ghal Marak
2008-08-27, 01:23 PM
Hello everybody!

I'll just jump right in with the topic. A while back I was just going around looking at all the nifty homebrew stuff on D&DWiki (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page) when I saw this class: Autoplate Pilot (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Autoplate_Pilot_%28DnD_Class%29). My first thought was "OMG! AWESOME!", but then I noticed that it was unfinished. :smallfrown: Since i'm not really all that good at making my own homebrews (as seen by my as yet unfinished projects in my sig :smallsigh:) I can't help complete the Autoplate Pilot. But, it did get me thinking about what kind of world would that most likely pop up in. Which brings us to the point of all my rambling. I'd like to know if other stuff similar to this existed.

So, to sum everything up:

Has anyone else created or found another class that does something similar to the Autoplate Pilot (preferably 3.5)?

Has anyone run across a campaign setting that featured anything like this?

Edit: Oh, and I apologize if all that is somewhat hard to read. I have trouble putting my thoughts onto paper (or in this case, the interweb) while maintaining legibility.

The Demented One
2008-08-27, 01:57 PM
I could whip something up, I'll do that tonight.

black dragoon
2008-08-27, 02:06 PM
*poke...poke*
Hey check the link labeled Kiirlahnis in my Sig. You may like it. Also look at DP9's Mecha Compendium it has stats for fantasy mechs.

Ghal Marak
2008-08-27, 02:22 PM
I could whip something up, I'll do that tonight.

Really?!? Awesome!

*poke...poke*
Hey check the link labeled Kiirlahnis in my Sig. You may like it. Also look at DP9's Mecha Compendium it has stats for fantasy mechs.

I've noticed it over before, but... I forgot. :smalleek:

I'll sit down and read through it though, and thanks for the tip. :smallsmile:

fangthane
2008-08-27, 02:27 PM
Just remember, whatever you make there have to be 5 of them, coloured green, blue, red, yellow and your choice of a fifth colour, either black or pink. They also need an ability (full-round action) to merge into one mega-mech with the ability to summon a freakin' huge sword.

Unless you're looking at horning in on FASA territory instead, in which case you just need lots of magic-missile packs, and ray attacks with Long range and even longer cooldowns. :)

Or, I suppose you could pattern it after Glitterboys or something.

Ghal Marak
2008-08-27, 03:00 PM
Just remember, whatever you make there have to be 5 of them, coloured green, blue, red, yellow and your choice of a fifth colour, either black or pink. They also need an ability (full-round action) to merge into one mega-mech with the ability to summon a freakin' huge sword.

Unless you're looking at horning in on FASA territory instead, in which case you just need lots of magic-missile packs, and ray attacks with Long range and even longer cooldowns. :)

Or, I suppose you could pattern it after Glitterboys or something.

Haha! Could call them Power Paladins or something.

You have to remember that not all mechs mess around with guns and missiles. Visions of Escaflone (Sp?) had magical mecha swinging swords around at each other. :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2008-08-27, 03:35 PM
Run a forum search for "Golem Armor".

Ghal Marak
2008-08-27, 04:12 PM
Run a forum search for "Golem Armor".

That brings up a lot of stuff, because Golem is mentioned freaking everywhere. But, I did glean some things from all the rest. Like a thread titled 'You're riding around in a WHAT? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69839)'. It's pretty snazzy, but... confusing. Using skill checks to do anything at all can foul things up if you roll poorly. And most of the component stuff is needlessly complex. :smalleek:

DracoDei
2008-08-27, 04:41 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=64021) is what I was specifically referring to.

Vazzaroth
2008-08-27, 04:50 PM
d20 Future has a whole chapter labeled "mecha". You can even see the weapon table of the d20 Future supplement online in the errata because they left it out of the book. It's called like Future Gadgets or something.

There's also a Mech Jockey Advanced Class

Edit: BTW, we had a guy who designed a steam-golem suit. He was a NPC class expert. The catch? He only got like 1/3 XP when he was in it because his EL was boosted so much. This left him with like 5 HP when he was outside the suit. And the worst part was it wasn't airtight yet, so fire attacks might get through. More and more, he was at risk of dying, -10, in a single fireball attack.

One time he picked up a goblin cook and threw him in his own furnace. The horrible smell alerted the rest of the goblins.

black dragoon
2008-08-27, 05:50 PM
Wait hold on that sounds like power armor there. When I think mecha I see at least twelve to fifteen feet of height.

Vazzaroth
2008-08-27, 06:00 PM
The guy in our party had a power suit, yea. But we were playing DnD.

In d20 Future, you can have a mech from size Large, to Colossal+.

black dragoon
2008-08-27, 06:07 PM
I know:smallbiggrin: Own the Book. Personally I think D20 moderns approach is more battletechy. DP9 (the guy's known for anime esque mecha games) do better at the whole giant metal martial artist of doom style.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-08-27, 06:08 PM
Wait hold on that sounds like power armor there. When I think mecha I see at least twelve to fifteen feet of height.

D20 Future's definition of "Mecha" goes from Powered Armor (Large Mechas) to Gundam-ish suits (Huge Mechas) then goes to walking fortress. (Gargantuan and Colossal Mechas)

Anything that moves, is slightly robotic and has a pilot is a Mecha.

black dragoon
2008-08-27, 06:16 PM
Yeah...DP9 does the same thing except it's based a point buy system.

DMfromTheAbyss
2008-08-27, 06:30 PM
There's also "DragonMech" a d20 fantasy world with mechs of all sorts, from elven animate tree type things to undead Bone mecha. Nevermind the dwarven and orcish metal behemoths belching arcane smoke.

Apparently There's a whole campaign setting based on the subject... though the only actual book I've seen (and own and have in front of me) is the "Mech Manual" It's a sword and sorcery d20 book.

I highly suggest it for ideas in any case though the system they use seems a bit odd, not that I've really tested it.

Ghal Marak
2008-08-27, 08:11 PM
There's also "DragonMech" a d20 fantasy world with mechs of all sorts, from elven animate tree type things to undead Bone mecha. Nevermind the dwarven and orcish metal behemoths belching arcane smoke.

Apparently There's a whole campaign setting based on the subject... though the only actual book I've seen (and own and have in front of me) is the "Mech Manual" It's a sword and sorcery d20 book.

I highly suggest it for ideas in any case though the system they use seems a bit odd, not that I've really tested it.

Yeah, I distantly know about DragonMech, and it seems like it would be right up my ally. However, I haven't actualy done any reasearch (i.e. Google) on it yet, so I don't know a thing about it other than basicaly what you just said. I really need to order a copy of the players manual or whatever passes for it.

And about the d20 Future. I'm aware of it (in fact I have both it and the Future gadgets books), but it's the wrong kind of... I guess theme. It's all futuristic, and I like magic powered ones. I guess it could be modified, tweaked around with and made into something resembling D&D. Hmm, that actualy sounds pretty cool, now that I think about it. All you'd really have to change is power sources, weapons for the mechs, and materials they are crafted from. Not all that much ultimately. Maybe I can do something with that (provided it's not hard and I don't get bored with it half way through).

weishan
2008-08-27, 08:59 PM
Google d20 mecha--it's kinda hard to find the SRD since the publisher went under, but it's still there. It covers mech (and vehicle) creation for any setting, as well as cost CR, etc. It's overwhelmingly better than d20 future's default system, which is clumsy, inflexible, and extrremely illogical.

Paragon Badger
2008-08-27, 10:11 PM
...Escaflowne? :smallwink:

black dragoon
2008-08-27, 10:12 PM
Guymelefs FTW?

Ghal Marak
2008-08-27, 10:37 PM
...Escaflowne? :smallwink:

Yep, thats it.

@black dragoon: Is that what they are called? I forgot.

black dragoon
2008-08-27, 10:40 PM
Melefs are effectively magical powered armor Guymalefs are the big boys you bring to burn down the enemy city... in excess.:smallbiggrin:

Ghal Marak
2008-08-27, 11:36 PM
Oh, and you were right about that DP9. It looks fantastic. I'm going to order the Delux edition to check it out. :smallbiggrin:

imp_fireball
2008-08-28, 12:43 AM
Google d20 mecha--it's kinda hard to find the SRD since the publisher went under, but it's still there. It covers mech (and vehicle) creation for any setting, as well as cost CR, etc. It's overwhelmingly better than d20 future's default system, which is clumsy, inflexible, and extrremely illogical.

Amen to that! :O

And if ever you need additional skills to reflect certain aspects of non-traditional 3.5, just include new skills (such as pilot with stat modifiers that reflect and boost the skill man, it ain't hard).

kwanzaabot
2008-08-28, 06:45 AM
That brings up a lot of stuff, because Golem is mentioned freaking everywhere. But, I did glean some things from all the rest. Like a thread titled 'You're riding around in a WHAT? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69839)'. It's pretty snazzy, but... confusing. Using skill checks to do anything at all can foul things up if you roll poorly. And most of the component stuff is needlessly complex. :smalleek:

I actually quite like those Golem mechs and from the quick readthrough I gave it, it's probably my favourite out of the different giant robot systems mentioned here. But i've gotta agree with the needless complexity. Some example Golems would definitely help me wrap my head around the concept, but the thread hasn't been touched since January. :smallfrown:

Alternatively, might I suggest Privateer Press's Iron Kingdoms setting? Specifically, the Steamjacks (http://www.privateerpress.com/ironkingdoms/default.php?x=rules/steamjacks). :smallwink:

black dragoon
2008-08-28, 08:38 AM
True. Iron kingdoms is excellent But out of personal taste I lean towards The D20 Mecha Compendium. Good choice on the Deluxe BTW that way you can build your own Mech stat blocks. THey were a bit underpowered But with some tweaking they can easily fit into mainstream DND.

YPU
2008-08-28, 09:16 AM
there is a non d20 system that is the perfect mecha game, no mather what the setting.
it also has rules for personal combat, actualy it has rules for fights on any scale from human to world sized batlecruizer.
On of the best things of it is that is a open point build system with a few suggested settings, it has side bars that give you examples of say dnd mecha including a few very nice little flavour texts. Ie it has ranged weapons, tough generally this means guns it could also be crossbows or normal bows. Beam weapons are even suggested that the could be such things as fairy magic. Cold power plants could be magic while hot ones could be steam boilers. (influences chance of explosion) the game plays real fast and easy and its real fun to design a mecha in it, I haven’t found a mecha you cant build in it actually. The game is called mekton zeta, I think drive trough rpg or rpg now has them for paid download.
Dragonmech, I have heard and researched it a bit before, some things about the setting are real cool, some things I think should be different, im not sure at all about the mech design tough, since I don’t have the books.

wadledo
2008-08-28, 09:48 AM
And more stuff:
Clockwork armor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a)

black dragoon
2008-08-28, 10:31 AM
The second Page of the link labled Kiirlahnis has an example of power-suit fantasy style posted on it. give a look and see what you think.

zeruslord
2008-08-29, 09:23 AM
Are you looking for more Battletech-like slow moving behemoths or Gundam style giant robots that move like people? Different books have very different styles of play.

black dragoon
2008-08-29, 09:58 AM
Agreed D20 Future Mecha Feel more Battletech in my opinion while the Mechs from D20 Mecha Compendium Feel(especially Jovian Gear) very Gundam.
W00T Pg. 2!:smallbiggrin: