PDA

View Full Version : Locked threads

LadyGlutter
2006-09-14, 04:31 PM
Specifically in PbP. I would like to propose that the mods not lock threads that have reached 50 pages, unless the group isn't abiding by the rules.

Why?

Because it fouls up a little trick I have when I'm searching for something that happened a year ago in thread two of the PbP I'm on the fourth thread of -- I find the thread. There's usually a nice link in the OOC or the first post of the new thread for history reasons. I hit "reply" and then search the whole thread at once, not having to go through 50 pages to find what I want. Or NOW having to go through possibly 100 or 150 if I'm wrong about which thread Zora ran across the water gensani or Armand said something about something that I can't remember exactly. Please tell me that makes sense.

Anyway, it's just a thought, because I'm about to have to do a search that is going to take forever, because a thread is locked that wasn't a week ago. Then I could have just used Ctrl+F pull the whole topic up onto one page. And it really isn't a big deal I think in the PbP pages to do that since we tend to police ourselves quite nicely in that arena.

Chris_Chandler
2006-09-14, 04:37 PM
I would second LadyGlutter here. Researching old threads through the "reply - find" trick is invaluable in most of the games in which I participate. I don't think that it is necessary to lock threads that are have reached the 50 page limit. We already break off into new threads. Is there a need to lock the "unused" threads? We actually do use them, though there isn't any content that would be added.

Thanks!

Zherog
2006-09-14, 09:21 PM
It's been a while, but as I recall threads are locked at that size because if they get much bigger wacky things begins to happen in the database.

Try this and see if it works on a locked thread. Click the "print" link. What it does is brings up an image-free view of the thread. You should be able to crtl-F through that.

LadyGlutter
2006-09-14, 09:55 PM
That works beautifully Zherog! Just have to make sure I don't have the printer ready for a print job from now on. Thanks a lot!

Zherog
2006-09-15, 12:48 AM
No problem. I like feeling useful. :)

Chris_Chandler
2006-09-15, 04:10 PM
ctrl-F through a print... nice cheat. Thanks!

HempRope
2006-09-19, 11:37 AM
I'd actually like to request that even though you can do that nice print thingy... threads not be locked immediately upon reaching 50 pages.

When the Baron first posted the rule, a couple of DM's asked if they might go on a little longer to wrap up plots, and he said that was fine. We've occasionally gone, ya know, three posts onto the 51st page so as to finish a fight and link to the new thread. But Akiosama's recently cut off a couple threads before the DM's had a chance to link to a new thread.

So if you do insist on locking threads... could you at least wait until the DM has wrapped things up?

P.S.
I might suggest a post to ask the DM to make a new thread, and then coming back to lock after they've done this. But even that might not be necessary, most DM's who run games 50 pgs long are together enough to spawn new threads without prompt.

Akiosama
2006-09-19, 12:26 PM
Will do. I'll keep that in mind.

Akio