PDA

View Full Version : races/templates with charisma bonuses

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-27, 07:32 PM
i've done some scouring on the SRC sites, and not had much luck. Are there any races or templates that provide a CHA bonus without inflicting a massive level adjustment?

the only thing i've found even approchable to what i want is a satyr (basically im looking to build a more diplomatic build, maybe even delve into the realms of a bard, so +cha is a must)

Rei_Jin
2008-08-27, 07:34 PM
Spellscale (From Races of the Dragon) has +2 Cha and -2 Con for no LA
Aasimar (From MMI, Races of Destiny, etc) has +2 Wis and +2 Cha for +1LA
The Draconic Template gives +2 Str, +2 Con and +2 Cha for a +1LA

They'd be the first three things that I'd recommend

monty
2008-08-27, 07:34 PM
X stat to Y bonus (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=320889)

You may find something there.

Edea
2008-08-27, 07:37 PM
Lesser Aasimar, but good luck finding a DM who'll let you play one.

RTGoodman
2008-08-27, 07:37 PM
There's a Magic-Blooded template in some old-ish Dragon Magazine that gives +2 Cha, -2 Wis for LA +0, if I remember correctly.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-27, 07:41 PM
aasimar seems my best bet so far

FinalJustice
2008-08-27, 07:47 PM
Deathtouched (Dragon Magazine, can't recall the number, so google it): +4 Cha, +1 LA. Penalty on Con though, so it kinda hurts.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-27, 08:17 PM
For some reason, WotC is even stingier about Cha-boost races than Int. Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold has +3, for the small cost of an odor of cheese and the ability to take epic feats.

Draken
2008-08-27, 08:31 PM
For some reason, WotC is even stingier about Cha-boost races than Int. Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold has +3, for the small cost of an odor of cheese and the ability to take epic feats.

And a -6 Str, -6 Dex and -6 Con (total -10 Str, -4 Dex and -8 Con considering kobold racial adjustments).

Being a dragon-type doesn't mean you lose your racial traits. And one of these traits is that you get physically frail as you age.

The epic feat thing stinks of cheese in such a way that as a DM I would give this character a flaw that makes swarms of rats attack him once every hour but with no bonus feat to make up for it.

I would also not allow the epic feats to be taken.

Siosilvar
2008-08-27, 08:33 PM
And a -6 Str, -6 Dex and -6 Con (total -10 Str, -4 Dex and -8 Con considering kobold racial adjustments).

Being a dragon-type doesn't mean you lose your racial traits. And one of these traits is that you get physically frail as you age.

The epic feat thing stinks of cheese in such a way that as a DM I would give this character a flaw that makes swarms of rats attack him once every hour but with no bonus feat to make up for it.

From what I've heard, Dracomonicon allows dragons with age categories to take epic feats when they are "old". Apparently, dragonwrought kobolds have age categories.

tyckspoon
2008-08-27, 08:42 PM

Er..why, exactly? Most of the epic feats kinda suck, and many of them also have requirements that the Kobold is unlikely to hit (stats of 20+, 24-30 ranks in a skill..) The only thing I can see being a really big problem immediately is using the trick to build a caster ('cause those will be the only stat modifiers worth anything after you make a Venerable Kobold) and then taking Great Intelligence/Wisdom/Charisma for all his feats to pump the primary casting stat even higher. And even that can be fixed with a fairly simple change (make them Inherent bonuses capping at +5 like Tomes/Wish) instead of banning them completely.

Draken
2008-08-27, 08:43 PM
The same line that says that also says "these feats are avaible to characters of 21st level or higher".

Old dragons have how many hit dice?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-27, 08:47 PM

I would also not allow the epic feats to be taken.Nope, Dragonwrought Kobolds don't take penalties from aging, and have a maximum lifespan after Venerable of 10xCha mod. Check the book out. You can even toss in Desert Kobold, for final stats of +3 Int, +3 Cha, +1 Wis, +2 Dex, -4 Str.

And the Epic feats thing gets debated every time it's brought up, but the final conclusion is usually that it is stinky stinky cheese, that no sane DM would allow, but RAW-legal. I usually consider the stat modifiers enough, though.

Draken
2008-08-27, 08:55 PM
Where is it that they take no penalties? I think I missed that part.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-27, 08:58 PM
In an earlier chapter, the one fluffing the Kobold society. In one of the sidebars it has an aging table for Dragonwrought Kobolds.

Bugbeartrap
2008-08-27, 08:59 PM
Feytouched from the Fiend Folio gives +2 to CHA and DEX with -2 to CON

and immunity to mind-affecting effects. +1 LA though...

Also cool is the Catfolk from the Races of the Wild +4 to DEX and +2 to CHA as well as +1 Natural Armor bonus. It also has a +1 LA

I'd like to use these for a warlock.

Hmmmm. On that note:

Hellbred from the Fiendish Codex II gives you the choice of taking +2 to CHA and a -2 to CON with no LA. The only hitch may be that you don't like the fluff... or you could love it.

Draken
2008-08-27, 09:04 PM
Table 3-2: Kobold Age Categories

Categories Age
Wyrmling Up to 6 months
Very young 7 to 18 months
Young 19 to 30 months
Juvenile 31 months to 5 years
Young adult 6 to 10 years
Adult 11 to 20 years
Mature adult 21 to 40 years
Old 41 to 60 years
Very old 61 to 80 years
Ancient 81 to 100 years
Wyrm 101 to 120 years
Great wyrm 121 years or older

Table 3-3: Effects of Aging
Middle Maximum
Race Age Old Venerable Age
Kobold 60 years 90 years 120 years +Cha years1

The second one is different enough from the first one that I am pretty sure if you are a venerable kobold you still have the -6 to all physical scores.

Someone has no just beenbeing cheesy with these tables, they have been overseeing basic stuff.

Vortling
2008-08-27, 09:04 PM
Feytouched and Half-fey templates both have bonuses to CHA but they both have level adjustments. They also provide a bunch of nice bard related spells as your character level advances.

revolver kobold
2008-08-27, 09:06 PM
Nope, Dragonwrought Kobolds don't take penalties from aging, and have a maximum lifespan after Venerable of 10xCha mod. Check the book out. You can even toss in Desert Kobold, for final stats of +3 Int, +3 Cha, +1 Wis, +2 Dex, -4 Str.

Where abouts does it mention that exactly? Ive seen it talked about a lot on the boards, but have never been able to track down the rule that says they don't take penalties for aging. (The rest i can understand, its just the 'no penalties' part I can never seem to find).

edit: bugger, ninja'd.

Lochar
2008-08-27, 09:07 PM
Star Elf from Forgotten Realms has a +2 Cha -2 Con, and can take a first level feat to become an outsider with no LA. Think of the Alter Self cheese! Can you smell the gouda?!

Thurbane
2008-08-27, 09:20 PM
Also cool is the Catfolk from the Races of the Wild +4 to DEX and +2 to CHA as well as +1 Natural Armor bonus. It also has a +1 LA
I second Catfolk. They also get 40-ft base movement, and access to the Catfolk Pounce feat. Very nice for LA +1.

You might also consider a 1/2-Elf with the Sociable Personality feat from RoD.

SOCIABLE PERSONALITY [RACIAL]
You are adroit at avoiding social gaffes.
Prerequisites: Half-elf, Cha 13.
Benefit: You may reroll any Diplomacy or Gather Information checks. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.

Frosty
2008-08-27, 09:20 PM
Don't forget the Hellbred. -2 Con, +2 Charisma, one free Devil-touched feat, and the ability to see in darkness (magical or otherwise) infinite range.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-08-27, 09:29 PM
Magic-Blooded (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.0Index-Templates.pdf) is on page 15, its from Dragon 306. Apply that to a +0 LA Aasimar (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) (for which you never have to spend a level (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) on the +1 LA and other abilities) for ability score adjustments of Wis -2, Cha +4 and LA +0 with some nice racial abilities.

As Frosty suggested, Hellbred (FC2:TotNH) is another good choice for stats and special abilities.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-27, 09:37 PM
Where abouts does it mention that exactly? Ive seen it talked about a lot on the boards, but have never been able to track down the rule that says they don't take penalties for aging. (The rest i can understand, its just the 'no penalties' part I can never seem to find).

edit: bugger, ninja'd.Races of the Dragon, page 39. No scanner, had to pdf it, but here. Incontrovertible proof. http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj145/ninjalindz/kobold.jpgLook at table 3-3, aging effects.

Draken
2008-08-27, 09:46 PM
@^: Wow, I completely missed that.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-27, 09:48 PM
It's small, and in an odd location. And yes, it does make the best race better, for the cost of two feats. Do you object to your lords and masters being better, citizen? ANSWER ME!

Strongheart Halflings are second-best, because I know someone will pipe in with "But it's only one feat"

revolver kobold
2008-08-27, 09:53 PM
Races of the Dragon, page 39. No scanner, had to pdf it, but here. Incontrovertible proof. http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj145/ninjalindz/kobold.jpgLook at table 3-3, aging effects.

Wow, I don't know how I overlooked that. Thanks heaps.

mangosta71
2008-08-27, 09:55 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that drow get a +2 CHA bonus.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-27, 10:00 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that drow get a +2 CHA bonus.Because they suck? I mean, we're going for playable here. ;)

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-27, 10:00 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that drow get a +2 CHA bonus.

but with quite a big LA :-/

Bugbeartrap
2008-08-27, 10:01 PM
Thats cuz the drow have rediculous LA for what you actually get. Although the bard would benefit from the +2 INT. I just figured Pancake wanted to stay as close to 0 LA as possible.

tyckspoon
2008-08-27, 10:02 PM
It's only 2 LA, but still not worth it. If you're going for an LA'd race at all, I would go with either the Aasimar or Catfolk. Preferably, just be a Magic-Blooded Human.

Proven_Paradox
2008-08-27, 10:11 PM
In the templates area, the best for +cha with a reasonable LA, you can't get much better than Fire-Souled. +4 cha, fire subtype, immunity to stunning/dazing, Leadership as a bonus feat (or +2 to existing Leadership score) and a couple of useful SLAs for a +1 LA.

I've been told that there was some kind of debate this one, saying that it's supposed to be something rediculous like +3 LA because of the Leadership feat. I don't know the stroy there, but Crystal Keep lists it at +1 however, and every DM who's allowed it has done so going by CK's listing. See if you can swing that with your DM.