PDA

View Full Version : Think we'll ever see elan die?

krossbow
2008-08-27, 08:48 PM
*points upward*

So far, we've seen roy die a horrible death, and due to the oracles prediction, barring a "refuse fate" type scenario, belkar and durkon are due for a dirt nap as well in the future.

However, the oracle's prediction that there'd be a happy ending for elan "at least" seems to indicate that he's not going to die anytime soon. In addition, given his personality and combat abilities, villians besides nale seem unlikely to target him for death before the other enemies.

Because of this, its almost hard to feel that elan is ever in any real danger, with all the perils being more directed at his friends. Anyone else think its possible that Elan is in any danger of death in the future?

Flickerdart
2008-08-27, 08:49 PM
Elan's story was promised a happy ending. He'll live.

kpenguin
2008-08-27, 09:02 PM
If he dies nobly and winds up in Chaotic Good heaven with Haley or something like that, I'd count that as a happy ending.

David Argall
2008-08-27, 09:08 PM
We have the Oracle saying he gets a happy ending. That is usually assumed to mean he survives to story end. However, that is not an absolutely solid conclusion. There are a number of endings that are happy and lethal for the individual. For our current comic, we might find that Elan finds that rescuing a [pregnant?] Haley sufficient joy to call this a happy ending, for him at least. [Haley, having to raise his brat, might have a different opinion.]

Xallace
2008-08-27, 09:10 PM
If he dies nobly and winds up in Chaotic Good heaven with Haley or something like that, I'd count that as a happy ending.

I was going to say the same thing. But in all likely-hood I think we'll see him live; or, at the very least, he'll be alive at the end of the story.

Staven
2008-08-27, 09:10 PM
I think he and Haley are the only ones out of the order who aren't going to die. Chances are much higher for everyone else, though, as V refuses to sleep and is getting reckless, Belkar has had the Oracle say he's going to die, Durkon has been told he's going to return home while dead, and Roy...well, Roy goes without saying.

blackspeeker
2008-08-27, 09:11 PM

I agree, a heroes death would be the death he'd get, not the death that Roy recieved.

Chronos
2008-08-27, 09:16 PM
Of course, the Oracle never said that he'd get a happy middle, so it's also still possible that he dies and gets raised. Though I rather doubt that we'll see two main characters raised in the strip, and Roy rather has priority.

It's also possible that in the last strip, we see a fast-forward to many years in the future, when he dies of old age surrounded by children and grandchildren.

Staven
2008-08-27, 09:18 PM
Reminds me of the St. Theresa ending of Bioshock. I think it's safe to say that Elan, being mostly comic relief, will be spared by the powers that be.

Ryzorrin
2008-08-27, 09:25 PM
For such an underpowered and naive character, you'd think Elan would've died by now, right? But he's incredibly lucky, and has good knowledge of the "rules" of the narrative. My vote is no, Elan isn't going to die.

drengnikrafe
2008-08-27, 09:34 PM
When the Oracle said "at least for you", perhaps he was refering to Elan's story alone. Elan ends up in Chaotic-Good Afterlife, and, seeing as how it's perfect for him, he is happy. Thus, his ending of the story is happy... at least for him. Everyone else is sad at his passing, but at least he is happy, so the Oracle is correct. Although, I might have to agree with the "Haley Joins Him" Thread of logic, because that would make him happy.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-08-27, 10:44 PM
Nah, I don't think he will either.

Staven
2008-08-27, 11:15 PM
He probably won't. But honestly? I'd actually like to see him die more than the other characters. Don't take this the wrong way: he's my favorite character, but I'd like to see him martyr himself, or die an unexpected, but no less heroic, death. I dunno, maybe I just have an overdeveloped sense of drama, but It would make for a really cool climax for the comic.

Ron Miel
2008-08-27, 11:19 PM
I predict that the story will show Elan dying from natural causes at a ripe old age.

The Extinguisher
2008-08-27, 11:31 PM
I honestly think Elan is going to die saving everyone.

He gets a happy ending, while others don't.

Nevitan
2008-08-28, 01:20 AM
as mentioned before, A happy ending doesn't mean a happy middle. as for Elan there are TONS of things worse then death for him. He is under power and genre savvy, the way I see one of the worst things for Elan would be seeing how he could save a teammate/ loved one but not being strong enough to do it, That would crush his innocence, He wouldn't be able to goof off during battle any more, or even be happy over all. He'd turn into a cold hearted leveling machine, He'd multi class to something really powerful, Its not like hed have much of a choice. once he lost his innocence, he certainly wouldn't be chaotic good, at least not in any good way, maybe even the next Miko in bard version. He would be obsessed with being strong enough to protect everyone and that brings me to my next point, Elan might not always be fun loving Elan, therefore his happy ending might not end up being C/G heaven with Haley, It could be an infinite amount of training and protecting the weak.... yep that's all I got on the subject.

mockingbyrd7
2008-08-28, 02:36 AM
as mentioned before, A happy ending doesn't mean a happy middle. as for Elan there are TONS of things worse then death for him. He is under power and genre savvy, the way I see one of the worst things for Elan would be seeing how he could save a teammate/ loved one but not being strong enough to do it, That would crush his innocence, He wouldn't be able to goof off during battle any more, or even be happy over all. He'd turn into a cold hearted leveling machine, He'd multi class to something really powerful, Its not like hed have much of a choice. once he lost his innocence, he certainly wouldn't be chaotic good, at least not in any good way, maybe even the next Miko in bard version. He would be obsessed with being strong enough to protect everyone and that brings me to my next point, Elan might not always be fun loving Elan, therefore his happy ending might not end up being C/G heaven with Haley, It could be an infinite amount of training and protecting the weak.... yep that's all I got on the subject.

You, sir, have an overactive imagination. I like you.

shadowpriest
2008-08-28, 05:30 AM
elan is childish and naive, but that doesn't protect him from death. i think that someday he'll perform such an heroic and difficult task that no-one is gonna tell elan is unuseful anymore. even roy (if he is alive, obviously). and the acknowledgement of his precious help will make him happy :smallsmile:

Deathwisher
2008-08-28, 11:13 AM
as mentioned before, A happy ending doesn't mean a happy middle. as for Elan there are TONS of things worse then death for him. He is under power and genre savvy, the way I see one of the worst things for Elan would be seeing how he could save a teammate/ loved one but not being strong enough to do it

Arise Darth Elan! :smallbiggrin:

It would be an interesting developement. I doubt it though. A comic like this needs a clown and with Elan gone I am not sure who could fulfill that par.

SmartAlec
2008-08-28, 11:16 AM
He's the Bard! The Bard has to survive so he can tell the story to others.

Helanna
2008-08-28, 11:21 AM
I dunno, maybe I just have an overdeveloped sense of drama, but It would make for a really cool climax for the comic.

Could it be? Could I have finally found someone who understands?! My friend always glares at me when I say "I want (insert character here) to die." I don't mean I want him to die, it'd just be really cool and dramatic and everything . . . but nobody understands that and I just get labelled a psychopath.

I don't think Elan will die. He's the comic relief, he can't die! Besides, so far, Roy has died and Belkar, V (maybe), and Durkon have all been prophecized to die shortly. Although maybe that's the point - maybe everyone will end up dead at one point or another.

Marduk Prophet
2008-08-28, 11:24 AM
Hell, I think Elan would be die happy if he knew of Banjo becoming a recognized deity amongst the pantheon.

Mina Kobold
2008-08-28, 11:44 AM
maybe everyone ends up dead discovers the great afterlife visit each other then Elan will be happy while the others will worry abaout the mortals

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-28, 11:54 AM
On one hand I hope so....

On another, I doubt Elan will die. at least 2 members of the order will be dieing (in theory) in the comic, so I doubt Elan will increase the deaths to 4.

SoC175
2008-08-28, 02:14 PM
Durkon has been told he's going to return home while dead,
Which doesn't exclude dying as a great-grantfather after having lived a centuries long happy life in the human lands. The oracle never gave him a timeframe

krossbow
2008-08-28, 02:23 PM
Which doesn't exclude dying as a great-grantfather after having lived a centuries long happy life in the human lands. The oracle never gave him a timeframe

True, but we know from SoD that he was sent away from his homeland on a "mission" due to a prophecy that his prescence would bring great catastophy on the lands (unbeknownst to him of course). Given this, it seems highly unlikely that the comic will close with him dead and his homeland being ravaged. Its rather ironic, as if the high priest hadn't tried to be underhanded about it, durkon would probably have willingly went into exile to protect his home)

I also like the idea that as the bard, elan has to live to carry on the tale. I'm sorry, but i just can't see elan dying. A heroic death sounds good, but that would make haley pretty sad, so i doubt he could ever be happy while simultaneously making someone he loves miserable.

Salty
2008-08-28, 02:26 PM
True, but we know from SoD that he was sent away from his homeland on a "mission" due to a prophecy that his prescence would bring great catastophy on the lands (unbeknownst to him of course). Given this, it seems highly unlikely that the comic will close with him dead and his homeland being ravaged. Its rather ironic, as if the high priest hadn't tried to be underhanded about it, durkon would probably have willingly went into exile to protect his home)

I also like the idea that as the bard, elan has to live to carry on the tale. I'm sorry, but i just can't see elan dying. A heroic death sounds good, but that would make haley pretty sad, so i doubt he could ever be happy while simultaneously making someone he loves miserable.

Makes perfect sense. I agree with you completely. Unless Haley were to die with him of course, but that still seems bittersweet. And you mean Oopcs, right?

Texas Jedi
2008-08-28, 02:56 PM

There might be more to that story because in comic 375 we find out that Durkon could go back home because the high priest is dead. If it was a real prophecy you think the High Priest would mention it somewhere.

It could be that the High Priest didn't like Durkon and made up the prophecy to get rid of him for some reason.

krossbow
2008-08-28, 03:30 PM
Makes perfect sense. I agree with you completely. Unless Haley were to die with him of course, but that still seems bittersweet. And you mean Oopcs, right?

Yeah, sorry, little sleep :smalltongue:
I meant OotPCs

Mauve Shirt
2008-08-28, 04:31 PM
There might be more to that story because in comic 375 we find out that Durkon could go back home because the high priest is dead. If it was a real prophecy you think the High Priest would mention it somewhere.

It could be that the High Priest didn't like Durkon and made up the prophecy to get rid of him for some reason.

No
The High Priest of Odin got the message first, and he didn't even know Durkon personally. Also, Durkon doesn't know about the prophecy, he was just told to go out into human lands, and he did it because he's lawful.