PDA

View Full Version : Advice Request

Kelkel
2008-08-27, 11:52 PM
Hi, first off let me thank anyone who reads or comments on this. Im kind of new to DnD (I understand the rules fine, but know absolutely nothing about the lore or magic items or spells or monsters or... anything really)

Anyway heres the situation: The group is going to be going into a dark area for a long time. The rest of the group got magic torches that burn forever, but I use a two handed weapon, so I cant really carry a torch or anything. My character is lvl 3 and has about 1000 gold budget right now. So, what kind of magic items and things can provide constant light while being hands free? I have access to most books through the GM.

Dode
2008-08-27, 11:55 PM
Attack the darkness.

tyckspoon
2008-08-27, 11:56 PM
Those torches are made with the Continual Flame (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/continualFlame.htm) spell. There is no requirement that it actually be cast on a stick or other flammable object; get it cast on a headband or something (a rock on a string works and is the traditional choice, since you can just put it away or tuck it under your shirt when you don't want to be lit up) and you have your own hands-free light.

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-27, 11:57 PM
You can enchant your weapon to glow for free as part of the process of making it magical.

Dode
Seriously though, Continual Flame (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/continualFlame.htm) doesn't have to be cast on the end of a stick. It could be cast on a pendant, your socks, anything you like that doesn't need to be held with a hand. Mostly though my party uses pendants.

MeklorIlavator
Hire some one to cast Continual Flame (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/continualFlame.htm) on an item. You might want to make it something you can hide easily, like a necklace.

Dr Bwaa
2008-08-27, 11:59 PM
I'm going to assume you're playing D&D 3.5 unless I hear otherwise, not that it necessarily matters much in this case. First off, when I'm DMing anyway, I assume that if a torch provides enough light for one person, then it provides enough for the whole party: so we get whoever has a free hand to carry the torch, and assuming the party sticks together, that's fine.

Obviously that doesn't answer your question, and what if the party splits up? I assume you have a backpack (otherwise where would you keep the ever-present Inventory?); I normally allow characters to strap a torch to their backpack as long as they've got some spare leather and a reasonable amount of INT. An everburning torch costs 110gp, well within your budget. Alternately, and cooler but more expensive, you could probably find someone to cast continual flame on [something--your two-handed weapon for coolness, your armor, a stone, whatever], which would cost more, but not too much I think.

EDIT: I just got ninja'd SO HARD.

Stormageddon
2008-08-28, 12:04 AM
Just stick with the group.

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-28, 12:05 AM
get a burned out ioun stone (25 gp) and cast continual flame on it.

Lycan 01
2008-08-28, 12:12 AM
I was in the same situation, once. I stuck a sunrod in my belt.

Problem solved...

BobVosh
2008-08-28, 12:16 AM
1. Stick with the party.
2. Continue flame on an ioun stone is quite possibly the most epically awesome idea for light I've ever heard
3. Hold a torch. Drop said torch in case of fight. Pick up torch again. Repeat as nessacary.

Why would you walk away from the party at level 3? That is pure death.

Vonriel
2008-08-28, 12:18 AM
Note that the cost for getting continual flame cast on an object is 110gp, if you go by this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell), but sadly there are no cheaper options.

Dode
2008-08-28, 12:19 AM
Just stick with the group.
haha, my DM has a little joke he likes to share when we do this

Me: "cool, I'm going to scout ahead on the hobgoblin lair"
DM: *addresses rest of the party* "...and you never see him again"

hah hah haaaaaa....

kind of a **** now that I think about it

Innis Cabal
2008-08-28, 12:19 AM
Darkvision is your friend

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-28, 12:21 AM
hm. dip a level of warlock?

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-28, 12:23 AM
Note that the cost for getting continual flame cast on an object is 110gp, if you go by this, but sadly there are no cheaper options.

Umm, hello? I just said, if your weapon's gonna be magic anyway, it doesn't cost anything. One-third of magic weapons glow anyway.

Vonriel
2008-08-28, 12:26 AM
...and has about 1000 gold budget right now...

"About 1000" suggests that the character has just under, at least to me, which means there's not enough money to get a +1 enchantment.

Edit: It doesn't matter whether it's just over or just under 1000, because I just remembered it's 2000 for a +1 enchantment on a weapon.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-28, 12:27 AM
Yes, but 1/3 of all magic items glow anyways, so he probably has at least one that lights up. That's the core of the "Christmas Tree Effect".

Crow
2008-08-28, 12:27 AM
Just hire a caster to cast continual flame on your weapon, or just tuck a sunrod in your belt.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-28, 12:28 AM
Just hire a caster to cast continual flame on your weapon, or just tuck a sunrod in your belt.Or read a thread. :smallannoyed:

Nychta
2008-08-28, 12:30 AM
Umm, hello? I just said, if your weapon's gonna be magic anyway, it doesn't cost anything. One-third of magic weapons glow anyway.
Yeah... This reminds me. A few weeks ago, I was creating this rogue/wizard with my new DM. I was getting one of my rapiers enchanted with... something I can't remember, probably keeness. And so when it was being enchanted, he asked "Do you want any special effects on the rapier?" And me being me, I said "Oh! I want it to glow in the dark!"
He snaps his fingers in front of my face and says "Rogue. Stealth. Idiot." :smallredface:

Thrud
2008-08-28, 12:33 AM
Awww, this makes me nostalgic for good ol 2nd ed continual light and continual darkness. Ahh, just spend all your non adventuring time casting continual light and continual darkness on alternating coins. Put em both on a necklace and they cancel each other out. Cover one or the other and you have what you need at the time. Cast it on the fletching of arrows and you have mobile light source useable out to longbow range.

*Sniffle*

I miss continual light/darkness. It is hard to find a more massively useful and overpowered 2nd level spell* in 2nd ed.

:smallbiggrin:

Or 3rd lvl if you were a cleric.

Dr Bwaa
2008-08-28, 12:34 AM
Note that the cost for getting continual flame cast on an object is 110gp, if you go by this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell), but sadly there are no cheaper options.

This makes sense, as 110gp is also how much money an Everburning Torch costs: a stick, from the woods, with continual flame :smalltongue:

Yes, but 1/3 of all magic items glow anyways, so he probably has at least one that lights up. That's the core of the "Christmas Tree Effect".

He's level three; how many magical items do you think he has if he's worried about even being able to see?

Another suggestion, by the way: Bullseye lanterns are 12gp, and hooded lanterns are 7. PHB says you can use them in one hand, but fail to mention that this is because there's just a ring at the top that they hang by. Tie this to your belt. Good to go.

Vonriel
2008-08-28, 12:37 AM
This makes sense, as 110gp is also how much money an Everburning Torch costs: a stick, from the woods, with continual flame :smalltongue:

Yeah, yeah, I was just putting out the minimum cost so the OP knew what they were going to be likely to spend. :smalltongue:

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-28, 12:40 AM
Continual Flame, Sunrods and sharing party light sources already addressed.

You might check if your PC can hire a NPC to cast Nchaser's Glowing Globe.

only1doug
2008-08-28, 05:24 AM
Yeah... This reminds me. A few weeks ago, I was creating this rogue/wizard with my new DM. I was getting one of my rapiers enchanted with... something I can't remember, probably keeness. And so when it was being enchanted, he asked "Do you want any special effects on the rapier?" And me being me, I said "Oh! I want it to glow in the dark!"
He snaps his fingers in front of my face and says "Rogue. Stealth. Idiot." :smallredface:

ROFL, Classic mistake.

I must say the Best suggestion i've seen is the Continual flame on a burned out ioun stone. I'm gonna have to buy a couple just to do that.

Curmudgeon
2008-08-28, 07:34 AM
get a burned out ioun stone (25 gp) and cast continual flame on it.
Don't do this! This is an extremely bad idea.

Just think about it. You've got a light circling your head continuously. When it's behind you the shadow of your head obscures what you're trying to look at. When it's in front of you the light is shining right in your eyes.

A player tried this once, and the DM gave him a continual -5 circumstance penalty to Spot due to this revolving distraction.

Telonius
2008-08-28, 08:35 AM
Another suggestion, by the way: Bullseye lanterns are 12gp, and hooded lanterns are 7. PHB says you can use them in one hand, but fail to mention that this is because there's just a ring at the top that they hang by. Tie this to your belt. Good to go.

I'm imagining tying a kerosene lantern to my belt. That would put the actual flame right next to ... well, let's just say it would be a really bad idea.

Yakk
2008-08-28, 08:43 AM
Get a cheap gem. Cast continual flame on it (100 gp). Mount it in the blade-guard of your sword.

Now you have a sword with a burning hilt that doesn't burn you.

Have a leather cover that goes over it, when you don't want light.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-28, 09:21 AM

This is a hilariously bad idea. Your groin will be on fire pretty soon into any fight - that, and the light will be bouncing and jiggling insanely.

Dr Bwaa
2008-08-28, 09:30 AM
This is a hilariously bad idea. Your groin will be on fire pretty soon into any fight - that, and the light will be bouncing and jiggling insanely.

Why does everyone assume I wanted you to attach this to your crotch? Just put it on your hip/other relatively sturdy place. If you get in a battle, detach it ad it continues to be a light source/weapon, or if it's still on you, then it remains a weapon, for the low price of 1d6/round :smallbiggrin: Or like someone else already said, just carry it and set it down when there's a battle. repeat.

EDIT: I should make note that things like the above are, yes, almost certainly bad ideas. However, things that are also considered much worse ideas have gotten by me and been simply great, so I still suggest it.

Example:
Tomb of Horrors. You know all those conjured snakes all over that damn place? Well, I was running ToH with just two players, so they were level 12 or 13 or so. One was a monk, and he had lost all his gear, clothes, etc. But the rogue had a crossbow and some rope, so the monk ended up covering his nudity by tying the rope around his waist as a belt, and then using crossbow bolts to spike thirty-one live snakes by their tails to his belt. This granted him (on the off-chance he grappled anything that they would affect) at least 15 attacks per round of grappling, from the snakes which couldn't poison him. They still bit him occasionally, but he was a monk with a couple wands of cure light wounds: who cares?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-28, 09:35 AM
Why does everyone assume I wanted you to attach this to your crotch? Just put it on your hip/other relatively sturdy place. If you get in a battle, detach it ad it continues to be a light source/weapon, or if it's still on you, then it remains a weapon, for the low price of 1d6/round :smallbiggrin: Or like someone else already said, just carry it and set it down when there's a battle. repeat.

The reason the character can't carry it in their hand was they're using a two-handed weapon, right? So this really makes no sense. If your hand were free to carry it, surely you'd be carrying it in that hand rather than attached to your belt.

And fire spreads, dude. Wear a lantern on your hip, and your groin will catch on fire when it gets smashed. (That, and your genitals will be sweating like crazy beforehand.)

Setting a light source down for a fight is also a spectacularly bad idea - especially when it's a lantern. What darkvision-enabled enemy won't shoot it or run over and kick it?

Seriously, continual flame is the best and obvious suggestion. You can have it cast on anything, and it's an illusory fire that just creates light. I recommend a small object attached to your hat or helmet by way of a strap or somesuch - a miner's helmet light, in essence. It's easy to remove when you don't want it seen.

Ecalsneerg
2008-08-28, 09:45 AM
Example:
Tomb of Horrors. You know all those conjured snakes all over that damn place? Well, I was running ToH with just two players, so they were level 12 or 13 or so. One was a monk, and he had lost all his gear, clothes, etc. But the rogue had a crossbow and some rope, so the monk ended up covering his nudity by tying the rope around his waist as a belt, and then using crossbow bolts to spike thirty-one live snakes by their tails to his belt. This granted him (on the off-chance he grappled anything that they would affect) at least 15 attacks per round of grappling, from the snakes which couldn't poison him. They still bit him occasionally, but he was a monk with a couple wands of cure light wounds: who cares?
That is... epic beyond words.

hotel_papa
2008-08-28, 09:54 AM
Are you wearing heavy armor? A warforged character in one of my campaigns actually had a small metal sphere crafted and then cut in half with continual flame cast on one half. The sphere was then welded back together and socketed into his armor at his breastplate. The result is a little sphere that you can spin like a roll-ball mouse as an on/off switch for light.

HP

Burley
2008-08-28, 10:27 AM
Favorite light source ever: My DM had us doing business with an Oddities dealer. I'm the kind of player who loves magical knick-knacks, no matter what kind of character I have.
I didn't have much gold, but I haggled the shopkeeper for a coin that would spin and balance perfectly on any surface (via prestidigitation). I had that thing Continual Flamed and balanced it on my head, finger, shoulder... Anything I could. I was playing a warlock, with the Darkness invocation. It was awesome when things would go black and all they'd see is a flickering light before they're chest began seering with Eldritch Fury.