PDA

View Full Version : V will die?

xelliea
2008-08-28, 02:36 AM
:vaarsuvius:in strip #567 the oracle says "as for the elf" but V is still alive, what does he mean?

mockingbyrd7
2008-08-28, 02:51 AM
Read on to find out!

xelliea
2008-08-28, 03:30 AM
i hope s/he does not die
and how long will i have to wait:smalleek:

ZekeArgo
2008-08-28, 05:52 AM
i hope s/he does not die
and how long will i have to wait:smalleek:

Until the time is right.

NerfTW
2008-08-28, 07:55 AM
Nobody says Belkar's prophecy is finished. He can still "kill" V the same convoluted manner in which he "killed" Roy, Miko, and her horse.

Or the Oracle was just screwing with him, since he knew Belkar was going to stab him during the explaination.

After seeing that comic, I think the Oracle answered "yes" to the question simply because he knew there was a convoluted way to connect all of the deaths to Belkar, plus one direct connection (himself), so he was able to answer "correctly" no matter what.

T-O-E
2008-08-28, 08:06 AM
Yes, V will probably die, eventually.

ericgrau
2008-08-28, 09:30 AM
I think the point of the kobold's comments in that strip was to poke fun at all the Belkar's prophecy theories. The real fulfillment of the prophecy was direct stabity death from Belkar to the kobold, nothing else.

ObadiahtheSlim
2008-08-28, 10:12 AM
I think the point of the kobold's comments in that strip was to poke fun at all the Belkar's prophecy theories. The real fulfillment of the prophecy was direct stabity death from Belkar to the kobold, nothing else.

Except that Belkar doesn't remember it. That means he will probably still try to fulfill it.

Nerdanel
2008-08-28, 11:04 AM
The Oracle was probably about to say something to the effect that Vaarsuvius was working himself to death in order to contact Belkar and therefore Belkar would be responsible for that death too.

Or responsible for V turning himself into a lich out of frustration and in order to take advantage of the template's +2 int bonus...

Deathwisher
2008-08-28, 11:06 AM
Except that Belkar doesn't remember it. That means he will probably still try to fulfill it.

But that isn't going to be easy. Miko and Windstriker are effectively beyond his reach (unless Rich plans to bring them back, but sofar there hasn't been any sign of that). Roy, at least for the moment is in the same position. So, only V and the oracle are available as targets for Belkar and even V is a long way off right now. That leaves the oracle, which could become a weird running joke: Belkar kills the oracle, forgets about it, goes back to kill the oracle (who has been raised), forgets about it again.....

Enlong
2008-08-28, 11:09 AM
The Oracle was probably about to say something to the effect that Vaarsuvius was working himself to death in order to contact Belkar and therefore Belkar would be responsible for that death too.

Or responsible for V turning himself into a lich out of frustration and in order to take advantage of the template's +2 int bonus...

Almost, but I think that a good deal of V's working himself to death is because of his self-loathing born of him wasting time on games with a "sociopathic halfling", so due to the "Event" and Belkar playing one-up with V, V now blames himself for his lack of power and is gonna work himself into an early grave.

All because of Belkar.

dragongirl13
2008-08-28, 11:12 AM
Guys, the oracle's talking was freakin' cut off! For all we know, he may have been about to say, "And as for the elf - well, sorry, you're out of luck there."

And heck, ALL LIVING THINGS DIE. Is V a living thing? Yes. Then sometime, by an unspecified cause, she will die. It's one of the basic truths about being alive - anything alive will die. So yes, someday V will die, but it may or may not be in the span of this comic.

Kaytara
2008-08-28, 11:55 AM
Can't really tell why, but I don't think V will die. Mostly because I believe Roy will be rezzed, so yet another character dying and getting raised would seem cheap and pointless, and I think V's a far too major player to die and NOT be raised.

I think that little "As for the elf-" bit was just Rich screwing with our minds. :smallbiggrin: Anyway, consider this. The explanation for Windstriker was something like "If we define this as this then that could be interpreted as being this...." My pet theory is that the explanation for V would have been something even more vague and imaginative, like so:

"As for the elf, well, Vaarsuvius has been growing increasingly antisocial due to all those repeated failed attempts to contact you. Due to various actions you took, not the least of them pointing out those little birds for the human chick to shoot, the elf will soon grow completely unable to process events in a non-analytical manner, thus becoming detached from any kind of humanoid emotion; a stone-cold thinking machine not unlike most constructs. You don't think constructs to be alive, do you?"
Belkar: "Not after I'm done with them, no." *stabbity-stab*

Kai Maera
2008-08-28, 12:09 PM
Typically in D&D settings, the amount of arcane power one has determines how long that individual can live. So Ultimate Arcane power would result in immortality, on that life-scale.

But seriously, Belkar will likely get to kill everyone on his list in one way or another... what are the mechanics of someone trying to kill another creature in the afterlife? I mean, evil parties wouldn't teleport into good heaven if they didn't stand a chance of actually killing anyone.

Maybe Belkar will kill Miko and her horse in the afterlife.

dragongirl13
2008-08-28, 11:07 PM
So Ultimate Arcane power would result in immortality, on that life-scale.

Maybe the oracle qualifies that as death? Or maybe V dies and becomes a god(dess).

ref
2008-08-31, 01:09 PM
I don't know if she will die, but sure as 2+2=4 Rich is making her less and less likeable. She's going the way of the Boomer, or what?

Ganurath
2008-08-31, 01:15 PM
Hypothesis: V will have turned evil by this point, after having told the big demon (s)he is fighting that (s)he will overcome whatever obstacles (s)he must face "By any means neccesary." Roy will mention to Belkar how the Oracle was going to say 'As for the elf...' during his last visit, signalling a daggerific spray of elven blood.

brilliantlight
2008-08-31, 01:28 PM
Almost, but I think that a good deal of V's working himself to death is because of his self-loathing born of him wasting time on games with a "sociopathic halfling", so due to the "Event" and Belkar playing one-up with V, V now blames himself for his lack of power and is gonna work himself into an early grave.

All because of Belkar.

I could see that. I couldn't see V as a lich.

T-O-E
2008-08-31, 01:59 PM
But that isn't going to be easy. Miko and Windstriker are effectively beyond his reach (unless Rich plans to bring them back, but sofar there hasn't been any sign of that). Roy, at least for the moment is in the same position. So, only V and the oracle are available as targets for Belkar and even V is a long way off right now. That leaves the oracle, which could become a weird running joke: Belkar kills the oracle, forgets about it, goes back to kill the oracle (who has been raised), forgets about it again.....

The Oracle has already been killed by Belkar, the prophecy came to be true. It doesn't matter if he's now alive again, Belkar has still killed him.

Querzis
2008-08-31, 02:10 PM
The Oracle has already been killed by Belkar, the prophecy came to be true. It doesn't matter if he's now alive again, Belkar has still killed him.

Yeah we know. BUT BELKAR DOESNT REMEMBER THAT! Belkar killed the Oracle just because he wanted to fullfill the prophecy so he could just as well kill Roy or V just to fullfill the prophecy. Its not that complicated.

Anyway, I like the theory of V transforming into a Lich because Belkar influence. V sure is going that way right now at least. Hes gonna do a Raistlin sooner or later.

LuisDantas
2008-08-31, 02:38 PM
Yeah we know. BUT BELKAR DOESNT REMEMBER THAT! Belkar killed the Oracle just because he wanted to fullfill the prophecy so he could just as well kill Roy or V just to fullfill the prophecy.

Did he, though? From the strip it looks like the Oracle was getting in his nerves and Belkar decided to to chastise him for that.

archon_huskie
2008-08-31, 03:10 PM
I could see that. I couldn't see V as a lich.

I think that without getting sleep or a trance, V is starting to look like a zombie.

Querzis
2008-08-31, 03:31 PM
Did he, though? From the strip it looks like the Oracle was getting in his nerves and Belkar decided to to chastise him for that.

Maybe, I would say its a mix of both, but that just make it more likely he'll kill V because V tend to get on Belkar nerve a lot more then the Oracle ever really did.

Asarth
2008-08-31, 05:36 PM
-snip- That leaves the oracle, which could become a weird running joke: Belkar kills the oracle, forgets about it, goes back to kill the oracle (who has been raised), forgets about it again.....

I doubt this will happen. According to this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html), the oracle's next death will be in 1187. The next strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html) shows that Belkar will breathe his last breath before the in-comic year ends, and according to the chart (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html) the deva showed Roy, the in-comic year is around 1184 - Belkar can't kill the oracle after the oracle dies in 1187; because Belkar won't be around then. Of course, people might think of loopholes like Belkar becoming undead, robot, etc. but I don't think there will be a timeskip(s) large enough to push the in-comic year past March 1187.

David Argall
2008-09-01, 11:06 PM
As has been mentioned before, Belkar's relationship to V's eventual death is going to be extremely tenuous and effectively zero.

The Oracle said the prophecy had been forfilled by
Roy dying, giving a case that was sharp practice, but valid.
When this is rejected, he offers a case about Miko that is much weaker
When this is rejected, he offers a case about her horse that is nonsense.
So by projection, the case about V would be so weak it would be totally laughed out of court.

Setra
2008-09-01, 11:25 PM
As has been mentioned before, Belkar's relationship to V's eventual death is going to be extremely tenuous and effectively zero.

The Oracle said the prophecy had been forfilled by
Roy dying, giving a case that was sharp practice, but valid.
When this is rejected, he offers a case about Miko that is much weaker
When this is rejected, he offers a case about her horse that is nonsense.
So by projection, the case about V would be so weak it would be totally laughed out of court.

V's blame has changed hir so much s/he is no longer the same person. Effectively killing V. This is Belkar's fault.

Obviously.

Corrupted One
2008-09-01, 11:27 PM
Unless V becomes immortal than yes, he/she will indeed die.