PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted 2nd Ed] - Extraordinary Wanderings

Rarkasha
2008-08-28, 03:39 AM
It's hot this morning, as usual, but at least the sand isn't getting into your eyes. There's still some power left in the glass roads leading to Chiarscuro it seems, though you're still a few days away at least, maybe more. To think that at one point, automated Essence powered vehicles glided along these roads. Well, at least there aren't very many people left who appreciate the loss.

The caravan is more like an extended wagon train designed to transport an incredibly wealthy person. His proper title, apparently, is Syan of the Eastern Spine. This is taken from the series of smelters and mines he owns along the eastern set of mountains along the South. Primarily focused on the metalworking industry, he has left his base of operations to scout out new markets. He seems a decent enough person, however, as he has let you all travel with him for whatever various reasons you would have. He seems rather eccentric though, in that he is prone to mood swings from polite calm to passionate outbursts. Right now he is passionately trying to get one of his servants to stop bothering him.

"Purity, I don't need an umbrella," he says, rather firmly, pushing away a finely constructed personal umbrella colored a delicate light blue and decorated with a fish symbol. Sitting on top of a wagon near the head of the caravan, he does seem a little exposed to the elements.

"The sun," says Purity, holding the umbrella in order to shade him in an equally firm manner,"Your skin will burn if you are not careful." Both are speaking in Flametongue, though Purity seems more formal than Syan, and also has a bit of an accent. While they both use the local tongue, Syan seems more like an Easterner or member of the Realm (being rather pale and willowy), and Purity looks like she is from the North (having the white hair and sharp facial features of that area).

"Purity, please, this is embarrassing. I can take care of myself, if you don't mind, he says, pulling the umbrella out of her hands and setting it down on the wagon. Purity sighs, and returns inside the wagon. A moments pause after she leaves, and he decides to take up the umbrella after all. He calls for the caravan to stop, presumably to get out of the sun. Even with the lingering Essence in the road, he knows the animals will get exhausted if he pushes them too much as the sun rises. Hastily pitched tents and covers are placed by the wagons, giving everyone a chance to rest for a few hours. A few people, those used to traveling in the dark, go straight to sleep. Passengers are a different story though, and a few of them, probably heading back to the Realm, are lounging around, taking naps. Syan is one of the latter, it seems, not letting himself be denied his creature comforts so far from home. For the rest of you, it is a chance to mingle for the moment, or perhaps simply rest.

The Demented One
2008-08-28, 05:04 PM
"This would be much more enjoyable if I could understand a word they spoke." Fei Long smirks, watching the merchant and Purity. He adjust the brim of his wide, ornate hat to block out the sun. Beside him sits a wolf, curled up more like a dog than a beast. "Isn't that right, Rabina?" The wolf snarls, not willing to dignify anyone disturbing her sleep with a response.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-28, 05:30 PM
Having just returned from a scouting run and reporting Alabaster moves to the wagon master.
"I require further provisions for my next scouting run. I will collect them an hour after dusk. I will also require that you provide the required weight of rations, rather than giving short measure again."

Rockbird
2008-08-29, 12:59 AM
Currently in the guise of a short, stocky southerner with a considerable beard and a shaved head, Tanivelado chuckles when he hears Fei Long's words.
"Hwell. I wouldn't say you missed anything particularily interesting. The man, Syan, is either short of wits, though i admit i find it unlikely, or manners. That i find less so." He says with a smirk. He is speaking with a thick southerner accent, with a slight aristocratic tinge.

He takes a few steps away from Fei Long, an turns with a wide smile.
"Now. I'm off to get me a drink of water, lest i die of dehydration. I would advice you do the same."
And then he walks off, whistling a bit on the way.

Malek
2008-08-29, 06:07 AM
- Well if he likes himself crispy, who are we to deny him the 'pleasure'. - Cynis comments seeing the scene

Turning to returning Alabaster he asks - Found anything out there? Well except more sand obviously...

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-29, 07:21 AM
"Maybe there is something. Maybe there is nothing. Whatever it is the sands will hide it until it is time for it to be seen." Alabaster's tongue slid over the unfamiliar syllables of the Realm language. "I have told them all I saw, they may require saving however. I do not know. Now I must seeks shelter and water."

The Demented One
2008-08-29, 08:31 AM
Fei Long follows Tanivelado, eager to ease the heat of the desert. As he goes, he tries to strike up a conversation with the exalt. "So Lawgiver, tell me something of your life. I've only known but a few of your kin, and I must confess ignorance of the lives you lead."

Rockbird
2008-08-29, 10:36 AM
"Oh... i'm not sure i can really answer you. It's only recently that i've met others of my kin, and one man alone can hardly speak of the lifes of all his people. But i dare say my life's been rather interesting since i obtained this power. Of course, I've laid low mostly, keeping myself out of the realm's sight. When i've been able to i've helped people out. Finding my footing, if you will. But, i believe things are about to get very interesting when we arrive in Chiaroscuro."
As he speaks, Tanivelado's face splits in an expectant grin, and he looks up into the sky. His golden eyes reflect the burning light of the sun for a brief moment, before he looks down again.
"But what of you? I too must admit to be lacking in knowledge of you and yours. Before i met you, i'd not even heard of your kind, save mentions in old stories that i'd never put much store in."

The Demented One
2008-08-29, 11:07 AM
Fei Long grins. "We stay out of the way, just let things happen like they're supposed to. I just happen to be of the school of thought that favors returning the Solar Exalted to power. The Dragonblooded act with treachery and impropriety in their usurpation, and the world would be much better if we could undo their acts of sedition." he says, deftly avoiding any mention of the role of the Sidereals in the Usurpation. "But to speak of me in particular, I am just a diplomat. I would guess the presence of so many Lawgivers unified to a single purpose drew the attention of my superiors, and they thought that you might be in need of a negotiator."

Rockbird
2008-08-29, 11:46 AM
"Am i then to understand that the Viziers have not the strength to evict the Dragon-Blooded on their own? Or do all of you not wish it? Granted, if even a tenth of a tenth of the terrestials lies of our long-gone rule hold true then they may not be entirely unfounded in their belief."
He barks a short, booming laugh.
"But if i am to judge from myself, i do not think so. And i hardly think that my newfound kin will suddenly burst into vile, maddened tyranny.
Anyway, have i grasped this correctly; you've been sent here to aid us in whatever task we take upon ourself, with the twin swords of steel and tongue, for the sole reward of our success?"

SeraphKast
2008-08-29, 12:19 PM
Stirring from his place near the edge of the tent, Jade spoke up, as he slid himself closer to the others. "Well, I wouldn't place much faith in what the Dragon Blooded of the Realm say. The Realm is corrupt, weak...inefficient. And there are stories among those who lived in the First Age who remember things differently." He grins at Tanivelado, and shakes his head.

"And if it makes you feel better none of you seem to be monsters to me."

Gazing intently out of the tent's entrance for a moment, he seems somewhat unfocused. He stares up at the sky as if expecting to see something, then seems to snap himself out of it after a few moments.

"It must be awful to be a dog, and unable to sweat in these lands," he says, turning back to look at Fei Long's wolf. "Though I think it will be worse on anyone who attempts to disturb us, if Alabaster is correct about possible trouble."

Rockbird
2008-08-29, 12:36 PM
"You words resound with truth, friend. And i would indeed not wish it be otherwise. Now, you speak of ancient stories; if you do not mind, i would very much like to hear them one day. I appreciate a good tale, and i seldom find one who knows the words of ancients.
But now is not the time for stories i believe. I'm going to go get some water for my parched throat, and then i intend to get some sleep, before the night's trek."

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-29, 12:44 PM
"As for trouble, I would recalling an old saying of my mothers'. *in flametounge* The sands may swallow the mighty, the skilled, the wise and the fool, but only the latter is never spat out again.*in low realm* I always seek to prevent the needs for chewing."

Akimbo
2008-08-29, 01:33 PM
A gruff large man, as much fat as muscle heaves himself out of the nearby wagon. His skin is white as snow, and he goes shirtless, baring a torso as white, and a whale imprinted on his chest.

Still sweating profusely from the heat, even under the shaded wagon he bears a crossbow hanging loosely at his side.

"It matters not whether what the Dragon Blooded say was true, it matters only that it is true now. Or have you all forgotten our beloved brothers who's polluted influence expands daily?

None shall ever accept that there is good in us while they fear for their lives from our brethren."

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-29, 02:14 PM
*Flame tongue*"None shall believe the truth whilst the orator is a pedlar of lies. Truth is immaterial. He who tells the tale, shapes the dream. He who shapes the dream turns the world."

The Demented One
2008-08-29, 06:00 PM
Fei Long takes offense to the Solar's impetuous comments. "There are only a hundred Sidereals in all existence, I might note, and bloody overthrow is not our method." He grins impishly, and says "Now, if we were to overthrow them, I suspect that a few scattered Sidereal agents would be sent out into the world to influence small events, see that certain things are led to the right conclusions. And eventually, we'd lead the right people to the right goals, and they would eventually see to it that the Terrestrials were gone, and we would sit back and sip our teas." He laughs at his show of pomp, "But no, we really couldn't take the Dragonblooded on directly. Now, the Solars were certainly be able to hold their own against them, what with your fantastic power."

SeraphKast
2008-08-29, 06:16 PM
"Someday you might hear them. Although probably not from me, I'm not much of a storyteller myself. Some of the elders however, they remember them. Makes for a better tale, if you ask me."

He frowns at the mention of chewing and lies. "I do not worry about conflict. If it finds us, then we shall be ready. If not, then there is little to worry about. As for liars...well. Some day their time shall come. After all, the glory of the Sun and Moon cannot be hidden forever. Eventually this age shall end."

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-29, 06:23 PM
Alabaster makes a dismissive gesture and goes to the closest thing he can get to bed, planning to wake an hour before dusk, eat and then collect provisions for the journey out, muttering his father's favourite observation as he leaves.*flame tongue*Five maidens, one mess.

Rockbird
2008-08-29, 06:23 PM
Tanivelado raises his hands apologetically. "I must apologize if you took offense. That was not my intention, I just wished to know what raw strength you might bring to bear. If a man can't break a boulder with his bare hands, but instead moves it through leverage and knowledge, it does not make him a lesser man.
And when one strong man is tricked despite his fantastic power, and his ally and brother chooses to stay hidden from the sight of the unjust, working for the cause of justice while recieving no praise, who is the strong one? And who is but a fool?"

Rarkasha
2008-08-30, 04:19 AM
As the sun begins to reach it's zenith, the entire caravan can feel the vibrations. Something is moving beneath the sands. A few guards mill about, looking taken aback. Syan, who actually had a personal couch brought under a tent for him to lay on, gets up and starts walking away from the caravan, apparently towards whatever was heading this way.

In the distance, but getting closer now, you can see a sort of bump in the sand, moving closer now, as if something was tunneling towards you. Syan doesn't look particularly perturbed, and is still holding the umbrella over his head. He waves a couple men over to stand by him.

The Demented One
2008-08-31, 09:22 AM
"Oh ho, what have we here..." Fei Long asks nervously, drawing his daiklave. He undoes the button of his robe, flipping it open to reveal a jacket reinforced with starmetal underneath. Rabina hops up and comes to his side, her hackles raised. A faint wisp of anima dances in his eyes as the sidereal warily looks out to whatever lies beneath the sand.

Malek
2008-08-31, 09:39 AM
- That man either knows something I don't or is too stupid to live... - muttered Cynis under his breath seeing Syan's careless approach to coming bump - ... I suspect the later.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-31, 10:30 AM
Alabaster wakes to the shaking. He peers outside and seeing the rise in the sand.

Perhaps, a little care.

He closes his eyes and inside melts away, for an instant his mind seems to be swimming in warm water. He holds his breath for a few seconds and then, lets go...

Use EASILY OVERLOOKED PRESENCE METHOD with personal essence and sneak outside to observe.
Stealth + Dexterity roll to go unnoticed (only applicable if the charm fails (I hardly see how mind you, these people know me after all, not like I am not supposed to be here), before any stunt I may or may not get etc): (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4826597#post4826597) 5 successes.

OOC:I will be keeping a running track of my essence at the bottom of posts, like so: P 13/16 Pp 32/32 (38) (P=personal have/total Pp=Peripheral have/total-committed to artefacts (total Peripheral))

SeraphKast
2008-08-31, 06:21 PM
Standing up and stretching languorously, Jade steps outside, squinting in the brighter light. Sauntering over towards Syan, he peers towards the approaching lump, wondering what it is exactly.

He moves to stand a few paces behind Syan and waits expectantly for whatever it is to present itself.

Rarkasha
2008-09-01, 08:58 AM
The rippling sand fades away for a moment, only to be replaced by the lunging head of an Abyssal Battle Snake. Having similarities to both a snake and a centipede in movement, it is mostly a bone construct, using metal parts to link the ribs of the snake together. Standing on the head is woman wearing an elegant black dress, holding a bow, an arrow already nocked. Like most Abyssals, her skin is pale white and drawn, giving her the appearance of a corpse walking. Despite the fine dress she wears, she looks more comfortable with the bow. Probably a former soldier.

Syan begins to say something," I suppose you're wondering how I-" before a blackened steel arrow grazes his cheek. He curses, backpedaling out of the way. Before the next arrow can hit, he has parried it with the tip of the umbrella, small sparks of Essence tinging off it as he does so.

At the same moment, the Battle Snake moved forward, dropping off several undead soldiers as it does so. They look a little worse for the wear, having been dragged through the sand somehow, but whatever powers them is persistent, at least.

Guess that's the Join Battle roll time. Hope you don't mind me taking a few artistic liberties with the system now and then.

Akimbo
2008-09-01, 09:22 AM
In the blink of an eye the Fat shirtless man has his crossbow in hand and cocked. He glares with loathing at the Woman in front of him.

He takes aim and fires a hail of bolts, reloading faster then the eye can see.

(Will wait till my action to resolve attacks. Join battle with 5 Successes.)

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-01, 09:53 AM
May as well use it now.

Join battle: 6 successes (2 10s, whoot).

Alabaster braces himself for a leap into the fray, focusing his mind on the sound of water dripping. [OCC: Again, waiting for the results to come in before action is resolved.]

The Demented One
2008-09-01, 09:55 AM
With a grunt of effort, Fei Long heaves his reaper daiklave high. "Be not afraid, friends, the stars are auspicious for us!" he shouts.

OOC

Battle joined with 6 successes. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4833456&postcount=8)
Will wait for results to act.

Rockbird
2008-09-01, 10:06 AM
Thrice-cursed lowlife creeping underworld scum, to come at an unprepared man in such a way...
Tanivelado mutters, as he rushes towards a nearby tent.

I'm going to use Whirlwind Armor-Donning Prana to don my armor in one action as soon as i get to the tent. Not sure if i should be joining battle now or afterwards. Still, i rolled. If i should wait, we'll just use the same roll later :smallwink:

Oh, and: 2 sux for Join Battle

Malek
2008-09-01, 03:08 PM
- Syan will have some explaining to do afterwards. - Cynis grumbled putting the bag with his cat in a safe spot before turning back to coming battle
- And I need to act more talk less it seems - he whispered seeing almost everyone already in action

Join Battle 2... seems my curse of bad rolls strikes back
Ah, and it would be good to know who is how far from that thing

SeraphKast
2008-09-02, 12:05 PM
Sliding backwards in surprise at the appearance of one of the dealthlord's soldiers, Jade's eyes widen as Syan parries the arrow with a flicker of essence. Grinning widely, he prepares to engage their foes.

Join Battle: 2 Successes

Rarkasha
2008-09-03, 01:37 AM
Sorry, been awhile since I ST'ed a game. The Abyssal is 20 yards away (still atop the Battle Snake), while the undead are about 10 or less yards, in a tight half circle in front of the Abyssal. There are 8 such soldiers total. They are decently equipped, with medium armor and spears or swords.

Order:

1.EvilDMMk3
2.The Demented One
3.Akimbo
4.Abyssal
5.Syan
6.Malek
7.SeraphKast
8.Rockbird
9.Undead

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-03, 02:31 AM
Alabaster plunges towards the skeletons, seemingly leaving after images. When he reaches the line of skeletons (I move 4 (My Dexterity) yards per tick so this is 2 or 3 ticks of movement) he jumps straight up in the air with his after images flowing around him to form thin sheath of light, he seems to hang in mid air for a second before his claws shoot out. He comes straight down on the lead skeleton, striking at it. As his blow lands rings of light, like ripples in a pond, flow out to 10ft.

Use RIPPLES ON A GOLDEN POND combo.
3x1ST MARTIAL ARTS EXELENCY
RIPPLING WATER STRIKE
FLOWING WATER DEFENSE

6 motes total.

Attack result:13 successes. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4847134#post4847134) (Before any stunt dice) Speed:4 ticks, now on tick 5 (attacked after reflexive move 2).

Flowing water defense come on last. My attacks for 3 actions are at -1, all attacks against me are at -3.

P 7/16 Pp 32/32 (38) WP 6/7

Akimbo
2008-09-03, 03:49 PM
The fat man aims his bow at the enemies. Behind him a giant Blue Bear of Essence rears up and points claws that made of crossbows at the advancing creatures.

As he fires his bow so too does the Bear behind him, the arrows glowing brightly as the leap to his foes.

(Uses Wall of Arrows Combo, base damage of each arrow is 19 Aggravated, 12 successes. Attack is applied to all targets. Spending 1wp and 21 Peripheral Essence, displaying Anima behind him, Obvious Charm.)

The Demented One
2008-09-03, 06:53 PM
With perfect calmness, Fei Long begins to walk towards the nearest zombie - but walking faster than most mortals could run, his calm stride rapidly covering the space between them. As he comes up on the shambling undead, and wheels around, twisting his daiklave in a widening gyre of starmetal sharpness, the blade moving with speed not to be expected of a humble diplomat, the blows landing in a perfect harmony.

Actions

Moving towards the nearest zombie that no one else has engaged. Fei Long can move 4 yards a round, so should take two or three ticks.

Attack with a reaper daiklave, using the Harmony of Blows to make three attacks without taking multiple action penalties.

Attack 1: 8 successes
Attack 2: 9 successes
Attack 3: 8 successes

Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4851298&posted=1#post4851298), no stunt die.

8 motes spent.

-1 DV, Speed 4

Rarkasha
2008-09-04, 03:06 PM
EvilDMMk3: That attack hits, it also hits for four others with Rippling Water Strike's effect. With the extra success from the Stunt, you have 11 extra successes for raw damage. Primary target is soak 7L, soak for the other 4 ignores armor, so 1L.

Akimbo: That attack hits all the undead (including the Battle Snake), the Abyssal has dodged it (description of the NPC reactions will have to wait until we've sorted everything else out.) With the two extra successes from the Stunt Die, 11 extra successes on the undead, 10 for the Battle Snake. Soak minus the natural soak is 8L for the snake, 6L for the undead.

The Demented One: All attacks hit. With the Stunt Die added in, first exceeds by 6 successes, second by 7 successes, third by 7 successes (onslaught penalties, eh?). Lethal soak is 7L again.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-04, 03:14 PM
OK 11+8-7=12 [roll0]

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-04, 03:17 PM
7 damage -1 soak = 6 damage.

Skelly 1 [roll0] 3 successes
Skelly 2 [roll1] 3 successes
Skelly 3 [roll2] 2 successes
Skelly 4 [roll3] 3 successes

7 levels of lethal damage on the lead skeleton.
3 levels of bashing damage on 3 of the other skeletons.
2 levels of bashing damage on 1 of the other skeletons.

The Demented One
2008-09-04, 04:16 PM
Damage

Attack 1 Raw Damage: 13 successes
Attack 2 Raw Damage: 7 successes
Attack 3 Raw Damage: 7 successes

Dice rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4856850&postcount=19)

Akimbo
2008-09-04, 05:14 PM
Raw damage of 21 for the Snake, 24 each undead. Rolled in rolling thread:

9 damage levels of aggravated for the Battle snake. 10 for each undead. (Surely that kills them all right? I didn't burn my essence and Willpower for nothing here did I?).

Rarkasha
2008-09-15, 07:51 PM
The attack catches the enemy group completely off guard. Alabaster's attack hits the middle of the formation at the same time as Fei Long attacks a separate target. It disintegrates the center zombie in a golden flash, and the golden waves of essence knock the other's off guard before they are destroyed by a hail of well aimed arrows to their skulls. Fei Long's first attack rips open the armor of his target as if it was paper, and the second attack halves it diagonally. A single arrow pierces deeply into the Battle Snake, bone fracturing and crumbling, chains snapping, but it continues on. The Abyssal is hit squarely in the torso, with such force that it goes neatly through her body. She takes a step back, faltering for a moment, and then the wound closes instantly as if time had reversed.

She jumps off the snake, letting it sink into the ground using whatever sorcery let it do so in the first place. While in mid-air, she draws back her bow and fires one arrow. In mid air, the arrow turns transparent, almost invisible. As it flies, you can hear a faint sound, as if someone sighed or exhaled lightly. It reappears just as it is about to hit Alabaster's chest.

This attack is a perfect, and it ignores all armor (natural soak applies). If you don't have any perfect defenses, it deals 4 health levels of damage. Additionally, it will deal 4L damage each time you act on your tick (again ignoring soak).

Oh, and the Abyssal has gone from 20 to 27 yards away from the starting point of everyone, and is also 6 yards in the air. This puts her 17 yards away from EvilDMMk3 and The Demented One as they moved 10 yards forward to hit the zombies.

Syan is nowhere to be found, apparently having gone off to one of the wagons.

Tick Count:
4: Malek, Rockbird, Seraphkast
5:EvilDMMk3, The Demented One
6:Syan
8: Abyssal

Malek
2008-09-16, 02:39 PM
- I wonder if they'll leave anything for me... - Cynis started to close on the abyssal.

Will take an guard action and move on ticks 4, 5, 6 and again guard and move on tick 7. Then guard will be aorted on tick 8 so I will act again then (should be 11 yards away from her on that tick if I count right)

Tick Count:
4: Rockbird, Seraphkast
5: EvilDMMk3, The Demented One, Akimbo
6: Syan
8: Abyssal, Malek

Rockbird
2008-09-17, 12:24 AM
How long 'til i get back from getting me armor?