PDA

View Full Version : Baby Theories

Haleyintraining
2008-08-28, 09:42 AM
Everyone has their crazy theories about Diago and Kazumi's baby, their baby must be Miko, and the like.

I really doubt Rich would create a new character without a reason. I really don't have any theories, but I would like to hear other peoples realistic theories. (Say she is Miko and you're toast.) The only think I could think of is that Kazumi will have a miscarriage, or that Hinjo will make the baby heir to the throne, in case something happens to him. So, theories?

Laurentio II
2008-08-28, 09:48 AM
So, theories?
My theory is that sometimes mammals, humans included, reproduce with no other reason than that. Even a very deep and ingenious writes is bound to allow people born a child now and then, otherwise the complete lack of pregnancy would look suspect.
Other than than, the pregnancy itself could be the part wanted by the author, while the baby is just a consequence.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-28, 09:48 AM
Perhaps the baby is just a baby and is going to have very little time in the comic

Johel
2008-08-28, 09:49 AM
The reason for the baby to be :

Rich needed a reason for his already-eight-weeks-pregnant joke.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html

Anyway, the baby will still be a baby by the end of oots, so it won't amount for much except a few jokes, maybe.

only1doug
2008-08-28, 09:51 AM
Even with no relevance other than its parents the baby is significant in the current story arc as the only descendant of a new noble line.

Haleyintraining
2008-08-28, 09:51 AM
What about baby names? Or do you think it will just be "The Baby."

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-28, 09:55 AM
What about baby names? Or do you think it will just be "The Baby."

It could be a running gag that the baby has no name, though there's allready three of those right now:smalltongue:

Chronos
2008-08-28, 09:56 AM
The baby's role is to serve as an indication that, with all of the epic things happening in the world, life still goes on as it always has. It makes the story more "real".

Johel
2008-08-28, 10:09 AM
The baby's role is to serve as an indication that, with all of the epic things happening in the world, life still goes on as it always has.

I like this one.

Haleyintraining
2008-08-28, 10:34 AM
The baby could be named after the fallen paladin, MIKO!
The baby's name is Bob.
The baby is named after Lord Shojo

Emperor Demonking
2008-08-28, 10:44 AM
Miko's neice.

Deathwisher
2008-08-28, 11:17 AM
The baby's role is to serve as an indication that, with all of the epic things happening in the world, life still goes on as it always has. It makes the story more "real".

plus, it is a nice way of indicating that time has passed, without having the characters say it out loud.

Linkavitch
2008-08-28, 04:55 PM
The baby's name will be Hero, and he will go back in time to be Soon's dad!

Chazzie
2008-08-28, 06:06 PM
My theory?

I think the baby will be a girl.

-runs!-

BRC
2008-08-28, 06:08 PM
The baby will be born and Hinjo will perform the naming ceremony, during which he will accidentally reveal Diego's last name.

He will be very sorry.

Euron
2008-08-28, 06:27 PM
Roy, reincarnated. Will speed along his resurrection, and the plot will change quickly from "Let's rescue/raise Roy" to, "Let's rescue Haley... and Roy won't remember anything from Heaven, including the Cloister"

Midnight Lurker
2008-08-28, 06:29 PM
Anyway, the baby will still be a baby by the end of oots, so it won't amount for much except a few jokes, maybe.

Unless it's subjected to SORAS (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SORAS)... :smalltongue:

teratorn
2008-08-28, 07:07 PM
Miko's neice.

No, Miko is in fact the baby's father.

T-O-E
2008-08-28, 07:39 PM
My theory?

-runs!-

That has to be the most retarded theory i've ever heard on Giantitp forums.

Corrupted One
2008-08-28, 08:44 PM
plus, it is a nice way of indicating that time has passed, without having the characters say it out loud.

That was also my theory. Personally I don't think the baby will have any significant role. Although it also crossed my mind that perhaps he is saving the baby in case he needs him. That is to say if a plot hole needs filling or we need a little dose of drama the ways in which he could use the baby are pretty wide.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-28, 09:26 PM
Roy, reincarnated. Will speed along his resurrection, and the plot will change quickly from "Let's rescue/raise Roy" to, "Let's rescue Haley... and Roy won't remember anything from Heaven, including the Cloister"

Well, the spell doesn't work that way.
And the OOTS universe has never shown any signes of reincarnation.
Lastly, how would they know it was Roy?

Haleyintraining
2008-08-29, 11:45 AM
Reincarnation only works if they died in the past week, doesn't it?

teratorn
2008-08-29, 12:25 PM
Reincarnation only works if they died in the past week, doesn't it?

Yes, and then there is this:

From the SRD:

So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be reincarnated, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit from the natural elements at hand.

Chazzie
2008-08-29, 12:49 PM
That has to be the most retarded theory i've ever heard on Giantitp forums.

I do my best. (:

In all seriousness though, my theory is that it's just a regular baby. Normal babies can be special too! Especially if their mother fought dozens of ninjas to protect it before it was even born!

AKA_Bait
2008-08-29, 04:28 PM
Agreeing with many, the baby is just going to be a baby. Maybe it will be named after someone, like Elan, Hinjo, Shojo or even Miko (though I strongly doubt that last one) but it will be too little and smelly to have any plot impact of it's own doing.

That said, there could be a 'save the baby' thing as part of some sidearc. Therkala could steal it or something. I dunno. I'm reaching here.

Also, you should probably add 'spoilers' to the title of the thread as per the Giant's request, so he doesn't accidentally read it.

Nomadic
2008-08-29, 09:52 PM
While I think the whole reincarnation thing is silly it should be remembered that reincarnation is not only a DnD spell but a belief in real life. While the spell cannot work in said way, the real life belief can.

AceOfFools
2008-08-29, 10:17 PM
So my theory is that at some point in the future :mitd: will be given a chance to eat the baby, only to push it around his plate and stuff it in the garbage.

This will cause Diago to flip out, reveal his last name and harness the power of the released drama to cleave the shadow monster in twain!

Oh, and the child will later fall in love with Hinjo's as yet unconcieved heir and become the ancestor of future Lords and Ladys of Azure city.

Also, everything I say is a lie.

zyphyr
2008-08-29, 10:56 PM
The baby's name is Bob.

Both will be correct.

Grey Watcher
2008-08-30, 12:34 AM
It could be a running gag that the baby has no name, though there's allready three of those right now:smalltongue:

Only three?

V's Gender
Monster in the Dark's Nature
Sabine's Nature (Demon or Devil, even though there's a strong consesus one way, there isn't an official answer)
V's use of Explosive Runes
Elan's puns
Banjo the Clown.
I'm sure I'm forgetting at least a few

mikeejimbo
2008-08-30, 12:29 PM

Not if Rich does another time jump, though I admittedly do find that unlikely.

AlexanderRM
2008-09-01, 04:07 PM
My theory is that sometimes mammals, humans included, reproduce with no other reason than that. Even a very deep and ingenious writes is bound to allow people born a child now and then, otherwise the complete lack of pregnancy would look suspect.

This. I do think that the Giant probably plans ahead more than most people expect (didn't he say that everything Miko did, up to and including destroying the gate, was planned from her first appearance? Heck, in fact, the FAQ says right there that he's planned at least loosely up to the very last panel of the very last comic...) so even if he didn't add the baby for a specific reason, he still knows exactly what he/she is going to do.

What three are these? I can't recall many recurring characters with no name... well, there's the MitD, but apart from that...?

Except that then it would take 15 years at a bare minimum before Roy is an adult again, even if you assume that he for some reason keeps his old levels and doesn't need to spend several more getting his first level and then finding another adventuring party to enter, in which he will somehow gain levels fast enough to catch up to where the rest of the order has gotten in 15 years... by which time the rest of the OOTS will be quite a bit older, or at least Elan and Haley. Not to mention it would pretty much ruin the Roy/Celia thing.

Unless you're going to say that Roy will magically grow to adulthood in 15 seconds after being born, as well as somehow being dark-skinned despite being genetically the child of asian-type people... and probably have his armor and clothes magically appear at the same time... makes perfect sense.

Jorrath_Zek
2008-09-02, 03:55 PM
It's quite simple. The old guy with the cat inherited the right to rule because the founder for the city and the Paladins did not want a paladin to rule the city and command the paladins...

As such, no doubt Hinjo is going to find being a paladin and a monarch as complex and counter to each other that he will choose to hand over the crown...

The baby and the new nobility creates a house that is loyal to the Paladin's cause and friendly to Hinjo. No doubt, hinjo will come to the conclusion that he should swear to them as the rulers of Azure City and unite the whole fleet under the glorious banner of a new ruling family without any ties to the corruption of the past and with the full loyality of the paladin who proved to be an incompetent leader by losing Azure City to a band of HobGoblins...

The baby, and his parents are critical to the advancement of the story line and freeing up Hinjo to replace Belkar in the Order of the Stick. Moving on to the more advanced battles on another continent for the fate of the Universe and the gods who created it...

Studoku
2008-09-02, 06:02 PM
It's quite simple. The old guy with the cat inherited the right to rule because the founder for the city and the Paladins did not want a paladin to rule the city and command the paladins...

As such, no doubt Hinjo is going to find being a paladin and a monarch as complex and counter to each other that he will choose to hand over the crown...

The baby and the new nobility creates a house that is loyal to the Paladin's cause and friendly to Hinjo. No doubt, hinjo will come to the conclusion that he should swear to them as the rulers of Azure City and unite the whole fleet under the glorious banner of a new ruling family without any ties to the corruption of the past and with the full loyality of the paladin who proved to be an incompetent leader by losing Azure City to a band of HobGoblins...

The baby, and his parents are critical to the advancement of the story line and freeing up Hinjo to replace Belkar in the Order of the Stick. Moving on to the more advanced battles on another continent for the fate of the Universe and the gods who created it...

By OotS forum standards, this is plausible. It's even plausible by regular theory standards.

Zolem
2008-09-02, 10:52 PM

This answeres a lot of my questions about how Honjo would actualy function as a ruler. Sure, some DMs might have 100% honest paladin kings. I once played a LN charecter in such a setting. I found a conspiracy, but instead of reporting it, I joined in, helped overthrow the paladin king, and set myself up comfortably in the new system. At the same time, the rest of the party was trying to get the king back on the throan because he was 'a great ruler'. I helped the conspirators turn public opinion against them by drasticly improving the economy by lifting a lot of the paladin's sticter and more binding laws, especialy those about social relations, meatings, guild structures, and the like. The rest of the party continued to insist that the paladin was best for King because 'he's the good guy' as if being good is all there is to being a ruler. I got the rest of the party TPKd when I signifigantly uped the forces sent to stop thier rebelion, as I knew the force they wanted to send initialy was insignifigant, speaking from personal experiance as a former member of the group. The campeign ended with me in a high position of power in a newly established government, and the GM had no idea how to realy 'sve' teh campaign.

Basicly, the paladin was ultra restrictive, and the conspiritors and myself rest it to a more natural level of law. The DM argued during all this that I should be CE, but I pointed out that 1) I didn't hurt the population. 2) Just because I'm lawful doesn't mean I support the writen law, I'm just structured and methodical. 3) I was serving my own selfinterest without causing unecessary harm or even going out of my way to harm the inocent, a very typical trait of Evil. 4) I helped revaluate and restructure the law system to a more apropreate and easily enforceable level, as a few laws that are easier to enforce are much more suited to a stable kingdom than a large number of overexacting alws that put a large amount of restrictions on things. 5) Puting down a legitimate threat to the stability of the new government I suport is not Chaotic nor Evil. IF it was Evil, no paladin could exist that tried to prevent goblins from taking over by useing violance. As such, combating a threat to the curent order is not Evil unless you go about it in a cruel or needlessly destructive way.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The point is that Paladins actualy don't make good kings. They aren't able to engage in suficient political manubers which 90% of the time include some sort of falsehood, be it witholding information or outright lieing. The main reason that people would suport them is that 'paladins are good' which in and of itself realy isn't a good leadership quality.

teratorn
2008-09-02, 11:26 PM
No doubt, hinjo will come to the conclusion that he should swear to them as the rulers of Azure City and unite the whole fleet under the glorious banner of a new ruling family without any ties to the corruption of the past and with the full loyality of the paladin who proved to be an incompetent leader by losing Azure City to a band of HobGoblins...

For a moment I was questioning your sanity, but then I saw that last part...

The main reason that people would suport them is that 'paladins are good' which in and of itself realy isn't a good leadership quality.

What a terrible thing to say. I hope the people I vote for to be good and honest, but I'll leave things at that, forum rules ask us to avoid real world politics in here.

LuisDantas
2008-09-03, 11:00 PM
I have a hunch that the baby may still prove to have plot significance, perhaps by way of the effect it had on Kazumi and Daigo's marriage (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html).

Come to think of it, Durkon's right; it IS slightly weird to have a couple of azurites married under Thor's blessing. Wouldn't that suggest that the duo may have actually converted to northern beliefs?

At the very least it would imply that neither is (currently) a Paladin of the twelve gods. But I guess we knew that already.

Zolem
2008-09-04, 07:50 AM
What a terrible thing to say. I hope the people I vote for to be good and honest, but I'll leave things at that, forum rules ask us to avoid real world politics in here.

Just because you're a nice guy doesn't mean you know what's best or how to wield political power. What was so bad about your Uncle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0503.html) is the line that sums up my ideas about what makes a paladin an inefective ruler. Shojo would have had no problems with going otuside the law via feigned madness to get the prof to put the corrupt Lords down and stabalize the fleet. The paladin ruler? It's against the rules. He has no ability for polatics, which is at least 65% taking advantage of your power to get what needs to be done done.

R.O.A.
2008-09-05, 11:04 AM
What three are these? I can't recall many recurring characters with no name... well, there's the MitD, but apart from that...?

SOD spoilers:
Xykon, Redcloak, and Right-Eye
plus Mitd of course :smallsmile:

Fawkes
2008-09-05, 01:29 PM
While I agree that Paladins are not the best possible rulers, remember that good does not equal dumb (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html). Hinjo, Lien, and O-Chul are all very competent. No, Hinjo's not going to be right all of the time, but neither was Shojo. No one is.

Bustus
2008-09-08, 06:32 PM
You guys think too much.

Clearly, the baby is Therkla.

Kish
2008-09-08, 06:36 PM
Just because you're a nice guy doesn't mean you know what's best or how to wield political power. What was so bad about your Uncle (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0503.html) is the line that sums up my ideas about what makes a paladin an inefective ruler. Shojo would have had no problems with going otuside the law via feigned madness to get the prof to put the corrupt Lords down and stabalize the fleet. The paladin ruler? It's against the rules. He has no ability for polatics, which is at least 65% taking advantage of your power to get what needs to be done done.
And Shojo's willingness to deceive people and lack of respect for the Sapphire Guard wound up blowing up in his face. (Without Miko going crazy and killing him, he would have wound up in prison; still hardly a glowing success.)

Fiery Diamond
2008-09-09, 02:38 PM
Quote:
The baby's name is Bob.
Quote:
Both will be correct.

Actually, I knew a girl named Bobi who was sometimes called Bob.

-Fiery Diamond

dps
2008-09-09, 05:56 PM

Shojo inherited because Azure City was a heriditary monarchy, and he was in line to inherit. Soon had specifically transferred command of the Sapphire Guard to the city's ruler because he wanted the defense of the gate and the defense of the city to be bound together. If it had been considered undesirabe for a paladin to both rule the city and command the Guard, paladins could have been excluded from the line of succession, but they weren't.

raphfrk
2008-09-09, 07:43 PM
It could be a running gag that the baby has no name

Or maybe they give the baby a name, but don't tell anyone what it is.

Actually, presumably, the trick is just not to say it at a 'major' time/public place.

Ofc, that is kinda stretching the joke a little.

lord of kobolds
2008-09-10, 07:13 PM
[stupid theory] The baby is a kobold![/stupidtheory]
[plausible theory] the baby will cause a distration at a critcal moment, allowing oots to win a battle[/plausible theory]

kopout
2008-09-10, 07:33 PM

of coarse makes most sense