PDA

View Full Version : Turning Things Other than Undead

Cowboy_ninja
2008-08-28, 02:18 PM
what else can you turn? particularly im interested in turning "good." am i mistaken? is it only possible to turn elementals and udnead?

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-28, 02:23 PM
As far as core I believe undead are it. I think you can only rebuke/command elementals.

The idea is that you channel energy the reverse of that of the thing you want to make turn away.

I believe you can channel Evil Energy to turn things with the "Good" title such as Angels and Archons but I don't know the specific rules. Most celestical beings aren't literally positive energy. You can't normally "turn" demons and devils after all (unless I missed something big anyway...).

You could Turn Deathless though, their polar opposite of undead.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-28, 02:36 PM
Yep. Core that's pretty much it. I drafted something like this for the Variants Handbook that VP is working on a while back. I'm not sure if it will make it into the actual book though.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-28, 02:42 PM
Well, there's the Planar Banishment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm) alternate class feature.

Hario
2008-08-28, 02:43 PM
Also the Eastern Religions domain allow you to turn japanese, that one comes in handy

Chronos
2008-08-28, 04:04 PM
In Core, the only things you can actually turn are undead and elementals, but if you have the Plant domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#plantDomain), you can also rebuke plants.

I'm sure there's a prestige class out there somewhere that lets you turn outsiders of the appropriate alignment subtype, though.

ashmanonar
2008-08-28, 04:18 PM
Also the Eastern Religions domain allow you to turn japanese, that one comes in handy

*headdesk*

ocato
2008-08-28, 04:27 PM
Guy 1: Hey, I can turn undead and turn Japanese
Guy 2: Then turn that Japanese skeleton, quick!
Guy 1: *turns*
Guy 2: Are you using turn undead of turn Japanese?
Guy 1: I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!
Guy 2: *cries*

vicente408
2008-08-28, 04:31 PM

Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so!

I swear I've seen some kind of variant/homebrewed class feature that allows you to turn constructs.

Edit: Ninja'd to the Skanking Pickle.

BRC
2008-08-28, 04:34 PM
DM: You Reach a Four-way junction with a ghoul blocking the path straight ahead, do you turn Left, Right, or Undead.

Person_Man
2008-08-28, 04:46 PM

I really think so.

Props for the Vapors reference. [Edit: DAMN, TWICE NINJA'D!!!]

Anywho, weird turning rules are only useful if you have a weird pet, or if your DM openly tells you that you're going to be playing in the temple of elemental evil or something similar. Here's what a quick crystalkeep search came up with:

Domains:

Air: Bolster Air Elementals, Destroy Earth.
Cold: Bolster Cold, Destroy Fire.
Deathless: Control Deathless.
Earth: Bolster Earth, Destroy Air.
Exorcism: End possession with Turn check.
Fire: Bolster Fire, Destroy Water.
Glory: Bonus to Turn Undead.
Moon: Turn Lycanthropes.
Plant: Rebuke/Control Plants.
Scaleykind: Rebuke/Control Snakes and Reptiles.
Slime: Rebuke/Control Oozes.
Spider: Rebuke/Control Spiders.
Sun: Greater Turning against Undead.
Undead: Bonus to Turn Undead.
Undeath: Extra Turning.
Water: Bolster Water, Turn Fire.

Prestige Classes (leaving out everything that stacks/grants Turn Undead):

Drow Justicar: Control/Rebuke Spiders
High Handcrafter: Rebuke/Command Air Elementals
Knight of the Chalice: Censure Demons.
Purebreath Devotee: Rebuke, Command, and Bolster Air Elementals.

Spirit Shamans can also Censure Spirits, which is loosely defined to include a bunch of different things. And Beast Heart Adepts can use Monstrous Empathy, which is just Wild Empathy for magical beasts. Different, but fluff wise very similar. IMO, these two are your best option.

Grommen
2008-08-28, 05:34 PM
Octao wins...

Fatality.

I nearly passed out from cackling.

Hario
2008-08-28, 05:40 PM
*hijack* for those who are curious of the joke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpCcelpvkps

Keld Denar
2008-08-28, 11:32 PM
What you are looking for is the Turn Anathema spell from Complete Champion. Its a 2nd level spell that allows you to pick an aspect of your alignment (ie Good) and turn creatures with a subtype opposite that chosen alignment. My 12th level turning cleric ABUSES the hell out of this spell, since he's tricked out with some decent turning gear to the point that he auto-turns Balors on a roll of 1 or higher. He keeps a rod of lesser Quicken spell to toss this spell in the first round of combat followed up with a turn check that sends the nastiest hellions (or abysians?) runnin. Most of the turn undead boosters work in conjuntion with this spell, like Sacred armor/shield enhancements (A&EG), the Pylactery of Undead Turning (DMG), and the Ephod of Authority (MIC). Most of the stuff from Libris Mortis probably wouldn't work, since most of it lowers the turn resistance of nearby undead, and therefore wouldn't really work on outsiders.

Sadly, you can't destroy foes with this spell, its explicitely stated. Also it mostly only works on outsiders, since they are typically the only creatures with alignment based subtypes. Despite auras and ratings on the various Detect X scales, clerics/paladins don't have the required subtypes without a bit of creative templating/procreating.

monty
2008-08-28, 11:47 PM
Apostle of Peace gets Censure Fiends. There's probably a few others.

Bayar
2008-08-29, 05:12 AM
Soo...everybody forgot about the Cleric/Druid with the Initiate of Nature feat (Players guide to Faerun) ?

Rebuke animals/plant creatures, commanding 2 HD worth of animals/plant creatures. Sweet, isn't it ? Plus animal companion. Plus Wild Shape. Plus Spellcasting.

Heh, throw in Planar Shepherd if you think that the druid is not broken enough...

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-29, 10:36 AM
remember its not turn elementals its turn those subtypes so air domain grants turning of Earth creature and rebuking of air creatures...

some Priests of certian elements can/have been known to try to turn Dragons. as some dragons have an element subtype.

which rocks

Chronos
2008-08-29, 10:52 AM
which rocksOnly for the [Earth] ones.

Of course, turning is based on HD, of which dragons tend to have an inordinate amount, so you're probably going to have an even harder time turning dragons than most clerics have with undead.

Nohwl
2008-08-29, 12:44 PM
i now want to play a character that can turn almost anything it fights. im not sure how to make it work though.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-08-29, 01:13 PM
Only for the [Earth] ones.

Of course, turning is based on HD, of which dragons tend to have an inordinate amount, so you're probably going to have an even harder time turning dragons than most clerics have with undead.

well Black dragons are of the water subtype which meens fire priests can turn them
Dragons and subtypes:

black[water]
blue[earth]
green[air]
red[fire]
white[cold]

and i know you don't turn dragons... you just turn there babies.

monty
2008-08-29, 04:01 PM
i now want to play a character that can turn almost anything it fights. im not sure how to make it work though.

This sounds like a job for homebrew! A prestige class (or base class, if you want to try it) that specializes in turning stuff.

Chronos
2008-08-29, 04:04 PM
well Black dragons are of the water subtype which meens fire priests can turn themYeah, but that doesn't rock, that makes a splash. Meanwhile, turning fire creatures is hot, and turning air creatures is way up there.

For the sake of completeness, it should also be mentioned that in earlier editions, it was possible (though not very easy) for evil priests to turn paladins.

LibraryOgre
2008-08-29, 11:46 PM
Paladins.

Nothing beats the look on a player's face when you turn his paladin.

Cowboy_ninja
2008-09-01, 01:33 PM
thanks for the info guys!