PDA

View Full Version : Summoning Spheres

Waspinator
2008-08-28, 05:32 PM
Summoning Spheres

The small spheres, usually one half red and one half white, can be used to summon monsters to fight your foes. The user simply activates it (with a command phrase along the lines of "I choose you!") and then hurls it where he wants the monster to appear. The monster arrives with a flash of light, behaves as it would if summoned by the appropriate Summon Monster spell, and returns to the sphere in a flash of light at the end of the spell's duration (which is determined by the creator's caster level). A summoning sphere may be used twice per day by any character who can cast arcane spells. The monster that is summoned is determined during item creation and can not be changed afterwards.

{table]Spell Level|Caster Level|Cost|Spellcraft DC|Cost to create
1|1|820 gp|15|410 gp, 32 xp, 1 day
2|3|4420 gp|16|2210 gp, 176 xp, 3 days
3|5|10900 gp|17|5450 gp, 436 xp, 11 days
4|7|22400 gp|18|11200 gp, 896 xp, 22 days[/table]

Prerequisites: Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, summon monster (I, II, III, or IV).

Properties: Faint aura of Conjuration (Summoning), Standard command activation. Weight is 2 oz.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I admit that I'm massively ripping off eternal wands. However, I think this is a pretty good re-fluffing that does what it's meant to do: make D&D Pokeballs. I would like to ask for help on two things:

1: I used the pricing information for eternal wands, but those stop at 3rd level spells. Would it be balanced to go above that and if so how should I progress the item costs and what not?

2: The current summon list works decently for Pokemon, but it could use some additions. Anyone know of any homebrewed Pokemon that would be suitable to add to the summon lists?

black dragoon
2008-08-28, 05:38 PM
Poke'thlhu?:smalltongue:
Of course that's a D6 system so there'd be some conversion needed.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-28, 06:20 PM
Well, there's Pokemon D20 (http://www.geocities.com/eco_mono/Pkmnd20/), of course, which is adapted (I think) from this (http://www.scshop.com/%7Eritaxis/) version. Then there's a project on Gleemax, but I can't get the page to load. Then there's one on ENWorld (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=222454), but it doesn't look complete. Then there's...

Seriously, just Google this yourself. Typing "Pokemon D20" into the most powerful/popular search engine on the planet isn't hard.

Well, there are a few, to be sure.

Waspinator
2008-08-28, 07:54 PM
Thanks! I don't really need their Trainer character classes, since I'm trying more for "funny item" than "basis of your entire character", but their selection of monster stats should be helpful.

Oh, and does anyone know how to extrapolate pricing for eternal "wands" of a higher level spell? I would like to do these for every version of Summon Monster.

Lorien077
2008-08-29, 07:16 PM
It occurs to me: you could use great and ultra ball type things for higher levl summoned monsters. :P
And the master ball could be some sort of artifact which summons a crazy epic monster.
I'll just stop tormenting you now, good job on this btw.

Guyr Adamantine
2008-08-29, 08:09 PM
Zeta Kai: You got both versions backward.

Waspinator
2008-08-30, 02:00 AM
Ok, I think I figured it out. Do the numbers for the 4th level one sound right?