PDA

View Full Version : searching for RPGs.

Geno9999
2008-08-28, 06:58 PM
Okay, I'm looking for a new RPG game, I've played all of Paper Mario series, Fire Emblem 7 and 10, and Super Mario RPG. What I might like is a Tactical RPG Like FE or and RPG with action elements. I don't like just running around, with random encounters and I don't play the game other than inputing commands. I want strategy, or reflex based commands to increase or decrease damage.

UglyPanda
2008-08-28, 07:22 PM
Namco x Capcom is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that forces you to have to pay attention during the attack animations.

What are you asking for exactly? Is doing stuff during the animation that important to you? There are a bunch of Tactical RPGs out there which don't force you to pay attention to the attack animations.
For Example:
Final Fantasy Tactics series
Disgaea series and other Nippon Ichi Games
Super Robot Wars

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-28, 08:08 PM
well, there is the mario and luigi games, which I find to be almost equal to th original SMRPG.

Cainen
2008-08-28, 10:03 PM
Zone of Enders: Fist of Mars.

Be warned - the game's system becomes soul-crushingly dull very fast.

warty goblin
2008-08-28, 10:57 PM
Penny Arcade: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness sounds like it'll meet your criteria, since you definately have to pay attention to the combat- in fact nobody on your team does anything unless you tell 'em too.

Dhavaer
2008-08-29, 12:21 AM
reflex based commands to increase or decrease damage.

Lost Odyssey does this bit, at least, with the ring system. I still wouldn't recommend it, though, due to the enormous amount of cutscenes.

Xenogears
2008-08-29, 06:54 AM
Since you listed the Mario RPG I'm going to assume that older games are okay as well and go right ahead and suggest Xenogears. A game I loved so much I named myself after it. It's combat system is a little odd. Every time you attack you have a certain number of attack points (I think you start with 3) and you have a weak, a medium, and a strong attack. Weak attacks cost 1, medium cost 2, and strong cost 3. You basically choose whatever combination of them you like and some combinations also have... I think they were called Deathblows but they're like a super attack at the end of your attack. Either way combat remained fun the whole game and the story was excellent (although confusing at times). It was for the Playstation.

Another really good Playstation RPG is Chrono Cross. Technically I've only played through about half of it (my copy is broken), but the combat system was actually somewhat similiar. Also you got like up to 50 someodd characters so It's pretty easy to find characters you like in it. Most of the time if you pick one character it means you can't choose another one so it encourages multiple playthroughs.

Oregano
2008-08-29, 07:01 AM
I second any SRPG suggestions, such as FF Tactics and Nippon Ichi games. Another one is Hoshigami(the remake) for the DS, it can also potentially be a really difficult game on hard mode.

I've also heard good things about the DS game Luminious Arc, a game I may purchase soon, but FFIV takes priority.

Drascin
2008-08-29, 08:54 AM
I've also heard good things about the DS game Luminious Arc, a game I may purchase soon, but FFIV takes priority.

I've played Luminous, myself. It is not bad, per se, but, when you've played Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, and such, it feels... well, dunno, not even half as gripping.

Fay Graydon
2008-08-29, 08:54 AM
Super Mario Brothers Super Star Saga is a good game that sounds like your cup of tea (I enjoyed it) its for the GBA

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-29, 08:58 AM
If ya got a PC, I can only recommend one of the greatest classic there is in history: Fallout and Fallout II.

Yhea, I know, it's not "A" classic, but still, one of the best game of the genre.

Toastkart
2008-08-29, 09:48 AM
I'd suggest either Star Ocean: Second Story or Star Ocean: Til the End of time (so2 and so3 respectively). Both are pretty good rpgs with real time battles. Your characters won't be standing in a row waiting to get hit. SO2 is the better game, but so3 has its merits, too.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-29, 09:59 AM
For a tactical RPG, I really reccomend Disgaea 1&2, as well as Final Fantasy Tactics. For an RPG with action elements, Tales of Phantasia (and possibly other Tales games too, but I haven't played them - I heard a lot of good things about Tales of Symphonia, specifically).

Mando Knight
2008-08-29, 10:43 AM
Super Mario Brothers Super Star Saga is a good game that sounds like your cup of tea (I enjoyed it) its for the GBA

He already owns it. (I'm his older brother) Our older brother also owns Mario & Luigi Partners in Time.
He hasn't mentioned it yet, but he's got access to Nintendo consoles from the SNES through the Wii, the DS, the Gamecube Game Boy Player, as well as a fairly competent PC.

nhbdy
2008-08-29, 11:57 AM
I like Elder Scrolls Oblivion for PS3, XBOX 360 or PC

it has real time combat, tons of quests and sidequests, and amazing graphics, what more do you want?

Mando Knight
2008-08-29, 12:21 PM
I like Elder Scrolls Oblivion for PS3, XBOX 360 or PC

it has real time combat, tons of quests and sidequests, and amazing graphics, what more do you want?

A T rating or lower by the ESRB: our parents ...strongly dislike... having M rated games in the house, especially owned by one who isn't yet 17. (and whose room is easily accessed by younger siblings...)

Oregano
2008-08-29, 12:27 PM
How about the FF remakes for the DS both three and four? they might be good for you, and Dragonquest Monsters: Joker is an RPG with a lot of room for strategy.

Archonic Energy
2008-08-29, 12:39 PM
17 posts & no Planescape : Torment.... For shame.

why are you reading this?
you should have left to play Torment by now!

Breltar
2008-08-29, 02:35 PM
Mount and Blade is a fairly tactical game, but no elves/dwarves/etc, as it is set in 'pseudo' middle ages.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-29, 02:43 PM
A T rating or lower by the ESRB: our parents ...strongly dislike... having M rated games in the house, especially owned by one who isn't yet 17. (and whose room is easily accessed by younger siblings...)

Well, Oblivion was only rated M due to Mature content, yet that is only accesable via mods.

If that matters.

warty goblin
2008-08-29, 03:14 PM
Mount and Blade is a fairly tactical game, but no elves/dwarves/etc, as it is set in 'pseudo' middle ages.

I would also point out that, as much as I love the game, it is pretty "M" in terms of violence. It's the only game I've ever played where you actually get spattered with blood from the people you kill.

Geno9999
2008-08-29, 04:06 PM
As Mando said, I have SNES though Wii and a DS and a Gameboy Color (which I don't play any more.) I'm edging more on console/portable games rather than PC.
So, list of Games that sounds good so far.
FF Tactics
Disgaea
Luminious Arc
and I'm gonna list Advance Wars
I don't buy consoles that's not made by Nintendo, so this narrows the list a bit. However, I've listed Disgaea since that's coming to the DS.
What I'm hoping for is FE 11 coming out, but for now, I'll try other SRPGs.
For the Action-RPGs, Sonic Chronicles might take my interest, since it's a Sonic game (Sonic's my 2nd favorite character.) Would The World Ends With You fit with what I want?

Oregano
2008-08-29, 04:09 PM
You can get FFTA and FFTA2 for GBA/DS respectively. So don't forget those. I've heard good things about TWEWY but I don't think it's got any strategy but it is apparently action-packed.

Xenogears
2008-08-29, 05:44 PM
Tales of Syphonia was pretty good. It only got really good if you had a couple of friends to play with (although no one wants to use the healer.... just like in DnD). Your friends would only get to help out in battles though so they might get bored during extended plot parts.

The X-Men Legends games were pretty good action/RPG. They had the ability to customize abilities (although most characters had one or two good moves and a bunch of trash no one should pick) but had Hack'nSlash combat. A ton of characters to choose from. Once again the kind of game you need friends for though.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-29, 05:55 PM
Well, I was about to suggest TWEWY, and there you said it!
I belive you would like it, personally it's my favorite DS game, so I would suggest it, but I would consider renting it first.

NOTE: when I say I like it, it's almost (if not, to) a fanboy level.