PDA

View Full Version : Birthday presents?

bigbaddragon
2008-08-28, 07:01 PM
My friend's birthday is coming up soon and having already spent my knowledge on what she likes, over the past several years (also add there the fact that I really don't like to be the one to decide about the gifts), I'm wondering if the playground could give me some ideas here? Which gifts you liked the most? Which gifts from you were liked the most? Which ones were the most unusual?

Personally, I don't care about them much because the best gift for me is to spend a day with my closest friends (this year we threw a barbecue on Danube beach and it was awesome) but I know that a little trinket here and there can't hurt and can also mean much to someone.

I'm open to your ideas and I'm thanking you in advance for your replies.

Castaras
2008-08-29, 01:38 PM
Something personalized.

What're her hobbies? Where does she like to go? What sort of person is she? Can't really help much more unless there is moar info.

Alleine
2008-08-29, 01:43 PM
Skittles FTW.

Krade
2008-08-29, 01:51 PM
Skittles FTW.

My brother did this for Valentine's Day back when we were in High School. He actually filled a decent sized heart-shaped tin with only red Skittles.

Yeah... we ate a lot of Skittles that week. Sure am glad red wasn't my favorite Skittle flavor. YELLOW FTW!!!

Cyrano
2008-08-29, 01:55 PM
My brother did this for Valentine's Day back when we were in High School. He actually filled a decent sized heart-shaped tin with only red Skittles.

Yeah... we ate a lot of Skittles that week. Sure am glad red wasn't my favorite Skittle flavor. YELLOW FTW!!!

It took me a few minutes to realize you weren't implying your brother's girlfriend gave the skittles back.

Mastikator
2008-08-29, 03:08 PM
Well, if it were me then I sure wouldn't mind a new computer...

bigbaddragon
2008-08-29, 03:18 PM
Something personalized.

What're her hobbies? Where does she like to go? What sort of person is she? Can't really help much more unless there is moar info.

She is a kind of girl that likes cute things like kittens, necklaces, plushy toys and such. Apart from hanging out on facebook I'm unaware of any hobbies. She doesn't have any particular type of places she likes to go, wherever it seems fun enough is fine with her (she seems to like crowded places, I guess that being so pretty she likes being seen).

I was thinking of buying her a kitten (russian blue cat kitten to be more precise) because I know she likes cats, but she maybe has a cat already co I need backup. The only other thing I was able to think of was cactus (don't ask why ;)).

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-29, 03:25 PM
Do Not, I Repeat, Do Not Buy Her A Pet If You're Not 200% Sure.

bosssmiley
2008-08-29, 03:30 PM
Books. You can't go wrong with books.

(in b4 CurlyKitGirl and the rest of the bibliophile armada! :smallbiggrin:)

edit: or what about a killer Muay Thai midget (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i38X8GA0wAY)? Anyone who's ever seen "Man with the Golden Gun" secretly wants their own vicious little factotum. :smallamused:

Telonius
2008-08-29, 03:32 PM
I'll second Dakota's comment. Seriously, unless it is your own child, you should never, ever give a pet to somebody if they're not expecting it.

I would suggest giving her an experience. Take her out for a night on the town. Go to a club. If you're strapped for cash, find a free or low-cost concert. Take her hiking or ice-skating or kayaking or something like that. Bring flowers or a small gift. She'll appreciate whatever it is a lot more, if she attaches it to a nice memory of the two of you.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-29, 03:53 PM
She is a kind of girl that likes cute things like kittens, necklaces, plushy toys and such. Apart from hanging out on facebook I'm unaware of any hobbies. She doesn't have any particular type of places she likes to go, wherever it seems fun enough is fine with her (she seems to like crowded places, I guess that being so pretty she likes being seen).

I was thinking of buying her a kitten (russian blue cat kitten to be more precise) because I know she likes cats, but she maybe has a cat already co I need backup. The only other thing I was able to think of was cactus (don't ask why ;)).

First off-

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Pets are not gifts for people you do not live with... even then it's risky. NO PETS! Even fish aren't a great idea. Besides, there are better things to get.

What am I going for with gifts now? Games[not video games]. Seriously, I wish I understood this better before. Games are great for these reasons:
1) There is a game for everyone. There always is. This is along the lines of books.
2) Getting the right game (like book) shows that you care and understand the person, and willing to give the extra effort.
3) Giving a game implies that you want to spend time with them! Which, you already stated is what you want the most ^_^
4) A game is something that lasts. Unlike flowers or candy, games don't get 'used up'. And while some books can be enjoyed multiple times, most people who aren't bibliophiles read a book only once. Games last as long as there are people to play them.
5) In a broader sense, it's something that encourages a shared hobby. It has been great between me and my fiance as we try new games and play them with our friends.

If you are interested, go further into her interests and I can suggest a game she will like. (though I have some ideas already)

Edit: Also, while games rarely imply highly romantic gestures, I'd like to know if you wish to make sure not to imply romantic interest or the opposite that you do wish to sweep her off her feet.

thubby
2008-08-29, 03:58 PM
giftcard for itunes. my catchall
keychain thing?

Crow
2008-08-29, 05:01 PM
Get her a pinapple with a balloon tied to it. I know it's normally a valentine's day gift, but if she's never gotten one before, you can pass it off as a birthday gift.

Whatever you do though, don't make her cut the pinapple herself.

Cut it into rings and place strawberries in the center of the rings. Plunk a candle through one of the strawberries, and put whipped cream around it for an impromptu birthday "cake".

Gaelbert
2008-08-29, 08:41 PM
Try to make something yourself. It could be arts and craftsy, or it could be something like a "Get Out of Jail Free Card" or some other sort of coupon or card.
And I know I'm a little late, and I know that D'Anna might not have technically been gone, but I just need to get this out of my system:
D'Anna! You're back!

shadowxknight
2008-08-29, 08:45 PM
You can never go wrong with plushy toys!

I suggest you get her a giant kitty plushy toy :smallbiggrin:

bigbaddragon
2008-08-29, 09:45 PM
First of all thank you for so many responses/ideas :).

After a bit of thinking I decided (most likely) not to give it a go with a kitten. Although I'm absolutely sure she would love it, pets require care and attention (especially while they're small) and she got employed a month ago which means that those first few months may be pretty hard and/or consume a lot of her free time so I'm not going to make it harder for her ...

I haven't yet decided what to do but I'll have enough time to think because I have to travel away for 2-3 days (I'm already packed up) and resolve a certain family mess my parents have managed to get me into again :(. Unfortunately, this also means I'll miss the b-day but I promised to make it up next week.

While I'm gone feel free to share your other ideas and/or birthday experiences.
Cheers all (wave)

Totally Guy
2008-08-30, 03:55 AM
What am I going for with gifts now? Games[not video games]. Seriously, I wish I understood this better before. Games are great for these reasons:
1) There is a game for everyone. There always is. This is along the lines of books.
2) Getting the right game (like book) shows that you care and understand the person, and willing to give the extra effort.
3) Giving a game implies that you want to spend time with them! Which, you already stated is what you want the most ^_^
4) A game is something that lasts. Unlike flowers or candy, games don't get 'used up'. And while some books can be enjoyed multiple times, most people who aren't bibliophiles read a book only once. Games last as long as there are people to play them.
5) In a broader sense, it's something that encourages a shared hobby. It has been great between me and my fiance as we try new games and play them with our friends.

Absolutely. I had no idea about this until a couple of years ago but all the best board games seem to be secret underground games the mainstream shops don't sell. I've just bought my dad a game called Carcassonne which is about laying tiles to create a region with towns roads and food supplies. I kind had a hint though as I'd bring my copy of Puerto Rico to him when I visit with my brothers and he suggested getting a copy himself so he could show his friends. I said not to buy the same thing twice but took mental note that he was enjoying these secret underground boardgames.

paladin_carvin
2008-08-30, 12:11 PM
If your dad likes carcassonne then he should try Settlers of Catan. I love the game myself, and need to pick up some more versions. I got the travel edition that, while a little small, was cheap and handy. But, the travel game can't be expanded, which is a real bummer.