PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Magical Garbagemen [3.5, Creature, PEACH]

chaiyo
2008-08-28, 07:57 PM
Based off this (http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=88977) Magic card, for those who would better understand this creature based on that source.

Junktroller
Size/Type: Large Construct
Hit Dice: 10d10+30 (85 hp)
Speed: 20 ft.
Initiative: -1
Armor Class: 18 (-1 Dex, -1 size, +10 natural), 18 Flat-footed, 8 Touch
BAB/Grapple: +8/+14
Attack: --
Full Attack: --
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Construct traits, Fire resistance 10, Cleaner, Manipulate Artifacts
Saves: Fort +3, Reflex +2, Will +2
Abilities: Strength 15, Dexterity 8, Constitution --, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 4, Charisma 8
Skills: Knowledge (Geography) +14, Knowledge (Arcana and Engineering) +10, Spot +8, Search +15, Use Magic Device +18
Feats: EnduranceB, Combat Reflexes, Iron Will, Run, Skill Focus (Use Magic Device)
Environment: Underground or Urban
Organization: Single or Workforce (2-8)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: 50% coins, no goods or items (see Cleaner)
Alignment: Always Neutral

You see a towering, rusting mechanical man lean over to inspect a long, metal staff. As it slowly picks it up to deposit in a cylinder filled with other assorted items, it notices your presence. It turns its head towards you, its artificial eye betraying no evidence of emotion. However, its mannerisms seem to indicate that if it could experience emotions, it would fear for the safety of its "trash" over its own health.

A Junktroller is a passive servant, serving only to clean a city or other inhabited area of unwanted scrap to recycle, or to sweep ruins or otherwise abandoned areas. It will not engage in combat unless surrounded, opting instead to run. If pressured, it will sift through its collection for a functional defensive item, often a random (medium) magic item.
These machines weigh 7,500 lbs. and are 11 feet tall. They speak common, as well as any other of their creator's known languages.

Cleaner (Ex): A Junktroller's is to find unused magic and materials within an area. Therefore, it will have 1d10 mundane items, 1d8 minor magic items, 1d12 medium magic items, and 1d2 major items. This may be scaled for areas with more or less items or more or less powerful magic items, but is the average for advanced magical cities, ruins, and dungeons.

Manipulate Artifacts (Ex): This construct is capable of activating and using any magical item. It gets a +8 racial bonus to Use Magic Device, and may take 10 even when threatened.

----

Not much for me to say about this, besides that I only have a rough idea of what to do for creation. I would imagine that Use Magic Device would factor in, and that the CL would be roughly ten, but otherwise I'd have to re-review the golems and other constructs to see where this would fit.

Debihuman
2008-08-31, 11:27 AM
It's interesting.

I'm not sure I you need an intelligent construct to make a decent garbage collecter. Although for an intelligent contruct, it's much too passive. If all it does is move, sweep, and check for magic, it probably doesn't need to have a lot of skills. It would be programmed to do a set route or a route from a map, which really doesn't require it to make Knowledge checks.

If you look at golems, you'll get some ideas. Craft Construct is the feat needed and some spells for this could be locate object and find the path.

Also, it probably doesn't need to use the artifacts that it finds but would collect them and bring them to a storage unit. Why would anyone making one of these not want to get first dibs on the stuff it finds? You don't want the pig to eat the truffles it finds.

Also, here's my guessitmated cost for your junktroller:

Construction
A junktroller’s body must be made from metal and mechanical systems weighing 7,500 pounds and materials worth at least 5,000 gp. Assembling the body requires DC 15 Craft (weaponsmithing) or DC 15 Craft (armorsmithing) and the creator must have at least 5 ranks in Knowledge (Geography). CL: 11th, Craft Construct, locate object, find the path
Price 55,000; Cost 27,500 + 1100xp

Debby