PDA

View Full Version : Movement Mastery

Gribsdawg
2008-08-29, 10:50 AM
Forgive me if this has been asked before, couldn't find it but my question is about movement mastery (obviously).

Movement Mastery (Ex):A Dervish is so certain of her movements that she is unaffected by adverse conditions. When making a Jump, Perform (dance), or Tumble check, she may take 10 even if stress and distraction would normally prevent her from doing so.

My question is whether combat counts as such a situation, or if there is any RAW on it. Thanks in advance.

monty
2008-08-29, 10:52 AM
I don't see why not. Generally, taking 10 at any time means any time (except when the action is impossible, obviously).

Duke of URL
2008-08-29, 10:53 AM
That's exactly what it means by "stress and distraction"...

Taking 10

When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help.

Gribsdawg
2008-08-29, 11:12 AM
Great thanks.

My DM is of the opinion that combat goes beyond stress/distraction, but perhaps this will convince him, otherwise Movement Mastery kinda sucks.

shadow_archmagi
2008-08-29, 11:22 AM
Great thanks.

My DM is of the opinion that combat goes beyond stress/distraction, but perhaps this will convince him, otherwise Movement Mastery kinda sucks.

Indeed, a feature that allows a character to travel over rough terrain while worrying about the term paper they have due tomorrow and trying to birdwatch would be...

Odd, to say the least.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-29, 11:23 AM
So your DM thinks Skill Mastery etc. are supposed to be pointless, too?

Your DM needs to think twice.