PDA

View Full Version : Let's see some new magic items!

BigPapaSmurf
2008-08-29, 12:11 PM
Preferably ones that can be translated to multiple formats without too much difficulty.

Ring of the Phantom Blade

This ring when activated, produces a phantom bladed one handed weapon to appear in the hand of it's user. (ring hand) This blade acts as a standard Masterwork weapon of the appropriate type ( or a +1 magic weapon), except that it is weightless and will pass through any object/substance. The blade still must make a successful hit to inflict damage and does not bypass any armor bonuses, except things which protect against incorpreal attacks, which are blocked completely.

The blade cannot be used to block, cut, pry or any other type of activity as it's blade will pass harmlessly through any material which is not flesh. It will pass through flesh showing no visible damage, but cause internal damage as a normal magic weapon.

The blade produces a faint blue glow which will illuminate anything within 5' but it's light does not hamper the use of infravision. You could for example stick the blade through a door to provide just enough light for you to see through a keyhole to the otherside, or if you just wish to stab someone barricading the door.

Ring can be activated 3/day by holding the thumb to the back of the ring for more than 3 seconds and deactivates automaticly if the ring hand thumb stops touching the ring for more than 3 seconds, or if the ring is removed.

Anyone weilding such a blade has a +2 chance to turn incorpreal undead. Incorpreal beings also take +2 damage from wounds caused by

This item is only ever found with a single bladed one-hand weapon type(swords, axes or daggers). It's method of creation has been lost to time. Those not proficient with this weapon type make their attack rolls at -2.

Gp value of item is equal to the highest normal damage output of the weapon type, times 1000. 1d6 = 6000, 2d4 = 8000 etc

Burley
2008-08-29, 12:22 PM
This belongs in the Homebrew sub-forum.

Also, I think the price is fairly low. Especially because it gives multiple bonuses.
Check here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) for some 3.5 guidelines.

Mando Knight
2008-08-29, 12:53 PM
I don't know anything about 3.x pricing (Burley Warlock's link might help), but 4e magic items have a fixed exponential function for their prices based on level and constant between weapons/armor with the same enchantment but different base costs.

The ring looks like a level 2-3 magic item...
How about this?
Ring of the Phantom Blade (4e)
Lvl 3 680 gp Lvl 18 85,000 gp
Lvl 8 3,400 gp Lvl 23 425,000 gp
Lvl 13 17,000 gp Lvl 28 2,125,000 gp
Item Slot: Ring
Power*Encounter: Minor Action. The ring creates a phantasmal one-handed weapon in the hand on which it is worn. The hand must be otherwise empty to use this power. The weapon may be any one-handed light blade, heavy blade, or axe, and it changes the damage dealt by the weapon to radiant. The weapon may be dismissed with a minor action. The weapon is treated like a magic weapon with the enhancement bonus based on the below table:
Lvl 3: +1 Lvl 18: +4
Lvl 8: +2 Lvl 22: +5
Lvl 13: +3 Lvl 27: +6
The weapon deals radiant damage to give it the bonus damage against undead that you wanted. (Most, if not all, 4e undead are either vulnerable to radiant damage or take some other type of penalty when hit with radiant damage.)

BigPapaSmurf
2008-08-29, 01:20 PM
Don't you lawyers have any ambulances to chase or something? I just made it up in 5 minutes, if somebody wants to use it they are free to modify it.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-29, 01:32 PM
They're trying to help you by honestly pointing out the flaws. Don't be an ingrate.

nagora
2008-08-29, 01:38 PM
I don't know anything about 3.x pricing (Burley Warlock's link might help), but 4e magic items have a fixed exponential function for their prices based on level and constant between weapons/armor with the same enchantment but different base costs.

Tosh. A magic item is like anything else: the base price is what it cost you to make it, the best price is whatever the market will bear (which may be less than your base price).

monty
2008-08-29, 04:07 PM
Tosh. A magic item is like anything else: the base price is what it cost you to make it, the best price is whatever the market will bear (which may be less than your base price).

Yes, but real economics in D&D tend to break.

Burley
2008-08-29, 04:12 PM
Don't you lawyers have any ambulances to chase or something? I just made it up in 5 minutes, if somebody wants to use it they are free to modify it.

What? Lawyer? What? Ambulance? What?
I'd be more insulted if I weren't so confused. I mean... I'm still insulted, but... Y'know.

Anywho... Um... Yeah. You never said you were putting it out for others to use, really. Your post was broad, and I'm sorry if you felt that I jumped your case. Cause... I didn't actually.

sikyon
2008-08-29, 04:19 PM
I made up an extending dagger last night and gave it to a player. As a swift action extends from 5' reach to 15' reach (but when at 15' can't hit 5 or 10 targets)

Great for the melee assasin needing range but concelament.

UglyPanda
2008-08-29, 04:19 PM
Burley, I think he's calling you a rules lawyer or something. Which would be a misuse of the term, I believe.

Yeah, this belongs in homebrew. Someone should go get a mod to move this thing. Smurf-guy, don't get angry when someone's trying to give you advice or explain a screw-up.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-08-29, 04:35 PM

If you don't want feedback, don't post it on the internet. That's eInteractions 101.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-29, 04:35 PM
Yeah, this belongs in homebrew. Someone should go get a mod to move this thing. Smurf-guy, don't get angry when someone's trying to give you advice or explain a screw-up.

I agree it belongs there... given the OPs reaction to some constructive commentary I wonder if it wouldn't be best just dying here. He'll get alot more unwanted critique over there where it belongs. :smalltongue:

Knaight
2008-08-29, 08:12 PM
Seems cheap, since its pretty much a brilliant energy weapon, and I think brilliant energy was +4 in 3.5. Like the flavor though.