PDA

View Full Version : 4e Illithids

Ent
2008-08-29, 12:26 PM
Can a Mind Flayer eat their thralls' brains to heal, and (Opinions:) would it be unfair for a Mastermind to keep non-thrall slaves at hand to heal?

AKA_Bait
2008-08-29, 12:40 PM
I would say that the Mindflayer could eat the brains of it's thralls since they are freed from the dominate effect if the Mindflayer dies i.e. there is still a brain there to be eaten.

As for keeping non-thralls about, I'm not sure why a Mindflayer would want to if it can eat the brains of the Thralls. Personally, I'd say that non-thralls are tastier... or something.

bosssmiley
2008-08-29, 12:49 PM
This was discussed in the Illithid chapter of "Lords of Madness". It seems that mind flayers prefer the more interesting memories and experiences of 'free range' sentients like adventurers to the bland nourishment provided by the minds of 'factory farmed' thralls. Illithids even have a whole culture of performance eating wherein an Illithid gourmet uses psionic amplifiers to share with his peers the delicious, piquant sensations of consuming a rare and sought-after brain. :smalleek:

I don't recall anything about whether Illithids heal more rapidly if they consume particular brains (psionically-capable, from powerful creatures, or whatever). It's an interesting and (no pun intended) flavourful idea though...

@v: Ah right, gotcha. You might want to look at the old 2E "Illithiad (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/wizardsOfTheCoast/aDAndD2/rulebooks/monsterBooks/v5748btpy7mr3)" for more on flayer society. It was one of a series of fluffbooks that TSR did for the D&D iconic monsters back in the early-mid '90s. It rocked. :smallbiggrin:

Ent
2008-08-29, 01:35 PM
I don't recall anything about whether Illithids heal more rapidly if they consume particular brains (psionically-capable, from powerful creatures, or whatever). It's an interesting and (no pun intended) flavourful idea though...

It's a new ability in 4e. Thanks for the Lords of Madness reference though, I need more background (4e is pretty light on fluff).

FoE
2008-08-29, 01:54 PM
Mindflayers go through a very rigorous screening process (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q3s4_Ku5rw) to determine who becomes a thrall and who gets to be food. :smalltongue:

Ent
2008-08-29, 03:26 PM
Mindflayers go through a very rigorous screening process (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q3s4_Ku5rw) to determine who becomes a thrall and who gets to be food. :smalltongue:

Oh, I'm aware and that's more or less all in my campaign. After all, it is the most fluff Wizards has put out about the Illithids.

black dragoon
2008-08-29, 04:30 PM
Of Course They're a symbol Of the Game.

FoE
2008-08-29, 04:47 PM
Oh, I'm aware and that's more or less all in my campaign. After all, it is the most fluff Wizards has put out about the Illithids.

Dude, I don't follow. You know that video is just for laughs, right? :smallconfused:

@V: I always dreamed this moment would come! :smallbiggrin:

AKA_Bait
2008-08-29, 04:52 PM
Dude, I don't follow. You know that video is just for laughs, right? :smallconfused:

Excuse me, but Illithids are serious business!

Grey Watcher
2008-08-29, 05:05 PM
From a balance perspective, it might be best if you included counted the slaves the Mindflayer has for emergency healing towards the number of creatures in the encounter. I can't recall exact levels, but you could give them stats as Human Lackeys, or some other appropriate Minion, in case the players decide to start taking them out. That way it isn't just free healing for the Mindflayer.

I'll defer to the judgement of others as to whether it's appropriate fluff-wise.