PDA

View Full Version : Final fantasy fans. Building weapon.

Kredine
2008-08-29, 08:08 PM
I've decided to finally take apon my DnD dream of throwing a Weapon inspired creature against my players. Anyone wanna help me stat out one?
Basically trying to make Ultimate Weapon, as accurate to game as possible.
All I've got so far is collosal (sp?) sized construct with redicoulous HD.
I'm not to good at this kinda thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Fan
2008-08-29, 08:11 PM
I'm on the case, your owrries are over.:smallamused:

Kredine
2008-08-29, 08:13 PM
Awesome =]. Running the game on wednesday.
I have a back up plan if I can't stat him though.

Fan
2008-08-29, 08:28 PM
What Cr do you want him to be? Also what charecters are in your party, and the verrative level of cheese they use.

AslanCross
2008-08-29, 08:34 PM
I'd think of the Weapons more as elementals than constructs since they're born of the planet. (at least if you go by FF7 or FF8. The Atma Weapons in FF6 are probably closer to Constructs or Aberrations.)

Elementals share a lot of immunities with Constructs anyway.
Regarding size, it seemed to me that the Ultima Weapon was smaller than the others. Ultima seemed more like Gargantuan to me, while Diamond, Ruby, Emerald and Sapphire were definitely Colossal.

chiasaur11
2008-08-29, 08:36 PM
You'll want to be careful you don't leave it a tiny glaring weakness.
I mean, if one shivering touch, for example, could down it, it loses some of the whole "mighty being of death" appeal.

Fan
2008-08-29, 08:38 PM
Okay, hwops about my other questions, becasue I need to know what CR, or ECL you want it to be for it to be a hard, if balanced encounter.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-29, 08:40 PM
Okay, hwops about my other questions, becasue I need to know what CR, or ECL you want it to be for it to be a hard, if balanced encounter.Weapon is not an opponent, it's a plot device.

Fan
2008-08-29, 08:42 PM
Actually its more than that consdering you have to kill it to get Clouds ultimate weapon. That, adn tis supposed to be a boss monster.
Also if you want stats for Cloud, and Sephie I can get you those to.

Kredine
2008-08-29, 08:43 PM
CR of 18-20 Me thinks. Maybe harder.
I'm a having my characters venture to the 'crater of the north', which is gonna continue on until they are high enough level.
They are currently a Favoured soul and psycic warrior. Both of who will have cohorts by the time they face him properly with the possibility of a third character, who will also have a cohort.
I should imagine the following party by Final battle with him.
Favoured Soul
Cleric
Pyschic Warrior
Sorcerer/Wizard/Psion
Fighter/Barbarian
Rogue/Bard

I'm hoping to throw him against the character a few times, but after a small amount of damage he flies off, like in game.
He'll stay for more damage each time, and use more tricks each time.

If I can get Ultima done well enough I should be able to eventually adapt that into ruby/emerald for the most redicolous battles I've ever played =].

I get what you mean about elementals. I was just thinking, they're pretty much giant robots of doom. Which would be construct. EDIT: Look like giant robots of doom
I think your right about gargantuam rather than colossal. Seems about right.

Kredine
2008-08-29, 08:46 PM
Really, only one Weapon is a plot device considering you can kill every other one as a boss fight.

Stats for those two would be awesome. In fact anything Final Fantasy related would be awesome.
Me and my friend are going to try to take all the coolest parts from the series and create a game revolved around a combined world.

By the way. I'm only really knowlegable in FF7 weapons.

Fan
2008-08-29, 08:51 PM
I think... I think I would be in love with that game.
One sec I actually made stats in another thread I made for Cloud Sehphie and their limit breaks.

ocato
2008-08-29, 09:41 PM
Big thing to consider:

Spells: No one wants this to end in two spells or a psion power. SR and PR should be pretty high, as well as saves and maybe a reflective property similar to the Big T's Carapace.

Given your party make-up, I'd go for something pretty strong against spells and pretty susceptible to straight, good old fashioned fighting. Give him a good AC so the barbarian doesn't power attack reliably though. Also, give him the ability to routinely knock some buffs off (no flying out of reach or something) and avoid being stat drained to death and it'll probably be well under your control. I'd consider "spells as if an X level cleric" or something (maybe sorcerer), so if they pull something you didn't see coming, you can dominate one of them or throw some enervates at em and see if you can't stay in control of the fight.

Kredine
2008-08-29, 09:46 PM
Hmm. Very good ideas. Don't need to worry about flight. Ultima weapon, one I'm building, was the only FFVII weapon that could fly (I think).

I wouldn't have thought about SR. And I like the name Big T. Never heard that before. If I were to make it accurate to games they would hit 90% of the time, but need loads of hits to kill. So I could have not too high AC but with high DR or mega constitution.

Deth Muncher
2008-08-29, 09:55 PM
Dude. Just make them fight Big T! I mean, you can alter him a little bit, but seriously, Big T is the closest in-game thing to a Weapon. Use him as the base critter.

Kredine
2008-08-29, 09:57 PM
Where is the fun in that though.
Half of my fun in this game is making stupid things like this. =]

Deth Muncher
2008-08-29, 10:09 PM
Where is the fun in that though.
Half of my fun in this game is making stupid things like this. =]

Well, ok, I concede to that. But still. Instead of scratch-building a monster, you could certainly take ideas from a similar, pre-existing monster. Like Big T.

Kredine
2008-08-29, 10:15 PM
That, is a very fair point. And I am most likely going to do that.
By the way, does anyone know of like a monster gen thing online, where I can just fill in the blanks kinda thing.
I hate writing out everything each time I make a monster.

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-29, 10:20 PM
colossal
LOTS of hp
attacks not that damaging - but wide variety of them

Kredine
2008-08-29, 10:26 PM
Anyone know how fast the highwind travels?
As Ultima travelled only the tiniest bit less than it?
I'll wiki. But if anyone knows, post =]

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-30, 12:09 AM
I don't think overland flight speed is your biggest concern here. Especially given the wonkery of Final Fantasy world-map scale.

It's been a long time since I played FFVII or any other Final Fantasy, for that matter (well, I whipped out VIII a year or so ago to see if it was as bad as I remembered; turns out it wasn't!)

I'm not a designer; my suggestion would probably be taking an Elemental Monolith (...not sure where those are...Complete Arcane? Complete Mage?) and adding the Creature of Legend template (not sure where this is either, but I know it adds a lot of Armor Class and Spell Resistance), and maybe give them a few instant-death spells as spell-like abilities. My alternative suggestion would be getting this thread moved to the Homebrew forum and getting the attention of the venerable minds there.

Kredine
2008-08-30, 12:50 AM
Well, I considered a different forum, but I'm afraid of them. Lol.
I don't have a great amount of posts and never leave d20 forum.

If I can find those two things, I shall definately look at that approach.
Never heard of that template, sounds pretty cool though.
However, I want it to be farely game accurate, so I don't want his armour to be too high. However, I do want a load of hit points to keep the battle going for a while.
On that front a combination of the constructs bonus hit points, high con and DR/- is my current plan. Unless someone can suggest something better.

The spell abilities are a must, though I don't recall ultima having any instant death moves, so I don't think they are needed, maybe someone will tell me different though. I haven't played FFVII is about two years, since I beat Emerald and Ruby =].
Damn the gold chocobo you get for that is crap =[.

Just to add. Gotta love the word wonkery there =].

DMfromTheAbyss
2008-08-30, 09:55 PM
I'd second the move to homebrew. The people there aren't as scary as you think, some of them are darned nice in fact, especially with something as tasty as this project.

Kredine
2008-08-31, 10:50 AM
Okay. Well I'll move to homebrew =].
If anyone wants to see how it turns out you'll find the new thread
HERE
(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4826674#post4826674)