PDA

View Full Version : Need mutants and masterminds version 2 help

ahzreal
2008-08-29, 10:25 PM
I'm confused. How does the whole lack of HP work? Could someone PLEASE help me understand how damage works in this game?

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-29, 10:31 PM
A complex system of injuries and bruises that you're better off letting the DM worry about.

BTW wrong forum fo dis thread

ahzreal
2008-08-29, 10:32 PM
Hey, Tschudy... Well.. um.. I'm playing a game with family, and i AM the DM. I kinda need help understanding it.

Knaight
2008-08-29, 10:58 PM
Hardly the wrong forum. Basically mutants and masterminds 2 uses a system where you make toughness saves after being hit, and different amounts of failure(failure, failure by 5, failure by 10, etc.) resulting in different amounts of injuries. The injuries have some effects, as well as making it easier to take a more severe injury, eventually leading to a single knock out punch. Its very different from an HP system, but is pretty cool, although some of the injury specifics are hard to remember.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-30, 12:00 AM
Okay here's the deal:

A damaging power (or punch, gun, whatever) hits the target.
The target makes a Toughness save of DC 15+the attack's Damage modifier*

The next part depends on whether the attack is lethal or nonlethal (this is basically up to the player and GM to determine).

Nonlethal attacks:
The target makes the Toughness Save: no effect.
The target fails the Toughness Save by 1-4: The target is Bruised and takes a cumulative -1 to Toughness Saves until healed.
The target fails the Toughness Save by 5-9: The target is Bruised as above, and Stunned for a round.
The target fails the Toughness Save by 10-14: The target is Stunned for a round and Staggered until healed.
The target fails the Toughness Save by 15 or more: The target is Unconscious.

Lethal attacks:
Same as above, except whenever the target is Bruised he is also Injured (another cumulative -1 to Toughness saves that's harder to heal), whenever he's Staggered he's also Disabled, and whenever he's made Unconscious he's also Dying.

All this is actually pretty simple in practice. Damage causes you to roll a Save, degree of failure shows how much damage you take. As you accumulate damage, you gain increasing penalties to your save, meaning you're more likely to be stunned or knocked out.

These rules can all be found on pp. 163-165 of your Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition core rulebook.

*Details: Damage Modifier is usually the power rank in case of Powers like Strike or Blast, the user's Strength modifier for unarmed attacks, or whatever it says on the table in the Equipment chapter for basic weapons. Anything with the "mighty" feat (such as a sword, bow, or any power with the Mighty power feat) adds the attacker's Strength to its base damage.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-30, 04:41 AM
A complex system of injuries and bruises that you're better off letting the DM worry about.

BTW wrong forum fo dis thread

1. It's hardly complex, as Nerdo just explained, and in fact working much better for most settings than the typical HP Bar.
2. This forum is called Gaming (d20 and General RPG). It's not entirely DND-based. In fact, I'm happy each time a non-DND thread comes out, as it shows that some people have minds open enough to play a variety of games, not only DND and stuff converted to D20 (yeah, I know M&M is a D20 game, even if very different from the others).

Starsinger
2008-08-30, 05:40 AM
2. This forum is called Gaming (d20 and General RPG). It's not entirely DND-based. In fact, I'm happy each time a non-DND thread comes out, as it shows that some people have minds open enough to play a variety of games, not only DND and stuff converted to D20 (yeah, I know M&M is a D20 game, even if very different from the others).

Ouch. Way to make me sound like a bigot, Tengu... :smalltongue:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-30, 05:43 AM
Nerd-o-rama gave the low-down, but you might also want to read the rulebook - the combat chapter especially. Everything's explained pretty clearly.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-30, 06:22 AM
Ouch. Way to make me sound like a bigot, Tengu... :smalltongue:

Always glad to help!

JeminiZero
2008-08-30, 06:31 AM
See this post: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=24919

There are 3 example fights linked there, which you can read through. It may help you get a better understanding of how combat runs.

ahzreal
2008-09-02, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone, this really helped. <3