PDA

View Full Version : (3.5)I need Starter gear

DMfromTheAbyss
2008-08-29, 11:32 PM
Ok here's the situation. I'm getting into a 3.5 game and my books have disappeared. I'm working on locating them but my DM is asking for my equipment list. The character is all set to go but I can't spend my starting $$ with no official book. So advice on a load out for a 1st level fighter with
100gp.

*note* I'm not taking advice on the build, just need the equipment. I realise there are ever so many classes better than the fighter, but I have a character concept, though I may multiclass later if it's a bit of an optimized game.

As far as character concept I'm the big guy fighter with the halberd and the background in smithing (possibly liking to hit things with hammers).

Build wise I went with a high str (18) low dex (12) and mediocre(14) con, and took feats in power attack, improved unarmed strike and imp grapple. (hey his background has him as a bar bouncer I kinda had to support it, plus with polearms being what I see him using an unexpected headbutt or knee to the groin works for unexpected attacks of opportunity.)

Thanks in advance for the hand.

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-29, 11:36 PM
get a masterwork weapon, i guess...

monty
2008-08-29, 11:39 PM
I'd start with heavy armor, a 2-handed weapon, and a ranged weapon and ammunition (even with low Dex, it helps to be able to hit things that aren't in melee range), unless you're going with some particular build.

Ryuuk
2008-08-29, 11:40 PM
Here (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/equipment.htm)you go, enjoy

tyckspoon
2008-08-29, 11:40 PM
Very very basic gear:
A Halberd: 10 gp
Incidentally, a halberd is not a reach weapon. Perhaps you were thinking of the guisarme (9 gp.)

Scale Mail: 50 gp
If you're ok with having the movement penalty for Medium armor, anyway. Otherwise, go with Studded Leather (25 gp, 1 less base AC.) A chain shirt or breastplate would be ideal, but are outside your budget.

Other stuff: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/equipment.htm The SRD might be useful here. If your GM has added a basic 'adventuring pack' of pre-selected items, go ahead and grab one. Also some rations and water-carriers (canteens, wineskins, etc) depending on how much attention your GM pays to food.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-29, 11:41 PM
100 GP, so not much. Best armor you can afford, best weapon you can afford, and you're done.

Meat Shield
2008-08-29, 11:45 PM
Don't forget rope, hammer, spikes, and a 10' pole. Never go in a dungeon without them.

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-29, 11:45 PM
Don't forget rope and a 10' pole. Never go in a dungeon without them.

for sissies.

real men use an 11 foot pole

Ryuuk
2008-08-29, 11:48 PM
for sissies.

Ah, so real men just want to make sure their's is longer

Xenogears
No real men power play to such an extreme that a lvl 1 wizard can punch handholds into a sheer wall with his bare fists. Now that is how you climb.

monty
for sissies.

No, real men know it's not the length of the pole, it's how you use it. Also, real men buy a ladder and turn it into two poles.

AslanCross
2008-08-29, 11:51 PM
No, real men know it's not the length of the pole, it's how you use it. Also, real men buy a ladder and turn it into two poles.

And sell them.

DMfromTheAbyss
2008-08-29, 11:58 PM
thanks guys!

Pretty much what I needed... though the whole buy a ladder and sell 2 10' poles would probably get me booted from the group.

But yeah that's what I needed.

Duos Greanleef
2008-08-30, 12:01 AM
get a masterwork weapon, i guess...

For a hundred GP?
Masterwork icosts 300+(base weapon price).

Gorbash
2008-08-30, 12:08 AM
I'd also suggest a backpack, torch, bedroll, winter blanket, an outfit, tent, weapon of every type (light pick and warhammer for piercing and bludgeoning, since you have slashing already), some rope, waterskin and rations.

Lemur
2008-08-30, 01:58 AM
If your DM uses Arms & Armor (technically 3.0, but was never given a 3.5 update), then get studded leather (or wood armor, if you're really going for thrift) and dastana, which is superior to scale mail at the same cost.

But that seems unlikely, so going with core only, your best armor choices are scale mail or studded leather, as has been mentioned, based on whether you value speed or protection. In addition to a halberd, get a sling and some bullets for a ranged option. You might consider getting a javelin or two so you can move and throw, but it's probably not necessary.

Getting a guard dog is a consideration- at first level a dog is quite capable at providing combat support, and they're not difficult to control (presumably a guard dog comes pre-trained with the attack, defend, down, and guard tricks). Between weapon and armor costs, you should have enough left over for adventuring gear even after buying a dog. If you opted for studded leather, you could even get two if you're allowed to command two of the same creature with a single action.

jcsw
2008-08-30, 09:38 AM
Chalk is cheap, and useful.

There's a 12-foot collapsible pole in dungeonscape for 20gp.

Chronos
2008-08-30, 06:43 PM
Don't forget rope and a 10' pole. Never go in a dungeon without them.Rope, absolutely. But I'm the kind of guy who makes out five-page equipment lists, and I still never get a 10' pole (unless I have extradimensional storage space, or the like). Have you ever tried to carry a real 10' pole around? I have, and picturing someone crawling through narrow corridors, diving out of the way of a fireball, and using both hands for fighting while carrying one just shatters my suspension of disbelief.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-31, 12:26 PM
Rope, absolutely. But I'm the kind of guy who makes out five-page equipment lists, and I still never get a 10' pole (unless I have extradimensional storage space, or the like). Have you ever tried to carry a real 10' pole around? I have, and picturing someone crawling through narrow corridors, diving out of the way of a fireball, and using both hands for fighting while carrying one just shatters my suspension of disbelief.That's why my characters buy a HHH, even before they buy magic weapons. Or use the 12 foot collapsible pole from Dungeonscape.

Chronos
2008-08-31, 09:12 PM
I agree that a Haversack is a high-priority item, but it's not clear what the interior dimensions are, and whether it can actually hold a ten-foot pole. To be sure of having enough room for a pole, you pretty much need a Portable Hole, and those are a lot more expensive. Collapsable pole though, if you can get one, sure.