PDA

View Full Version : should i get a blog?

EvilElitest
2008-08-29, 11:50 PM
So you all know me, i'm a rant happy embittered, intelligent young man with far too much time on his hands. And yet, i've been recommended by seven people that i should get myself a blog, as i put so much effort into this RPG/video game/fantasy stuff and if i'm going to do that i might as well put a proper effort into it and organize this stuff and my options

The problem is, and maybe i'm just being basis and close minded here, but i find the idea of blogs rather egotistical, because it is basically just me ranting about stuff.

I suppose it would be nice to simply write and article on something when ever i have the time, it will help me keep track of stuff and that would be nice. I could gain some plausibility which would be very nice and it might help in the long wrong. that being said, unlike this place here, i won't have a community to keep my ego in check, so that would be rather bothersome

So from what you know of me, do you think i'd make an interesting blog
from
EE

Sneak
2008-08-29, 11:57 PM
So you all know me, i'm a rant happy embittered, intelligent young man with far too much time on his hands. And yet, i've been recommended by seven people that i should get myself a blog, as i put so much effort into this RPG/video game/fantasy stuff and if i'm going to do that i might as well put a proper effort into it and organize this stuff and my options

The problem is, and maybe i'm just being basis and close minded here, but i find the idea of blogs rather egotistical, because it is basically just me ranting about stuff.

I suppose it would be nice to simply write and article on something when ever i have the time, it will help me keep track of stuff and that would be nice. I could gain some plausibility which would be very nice and it might help in the long wrong. that being said, unlike this place here, i won't have a community to keep my ego in check, so that would be rather bothersome

So from what you know of me, do you think i'd make an interesting blog
from
EE

I'd say go for it.

I think it'd be reasonably interesting. I might not read it, but I don't read anyone else's blogs either, even the interesting people. :smalltongue:

But, the thing is, even if it doesn't have a lot of readership, writing all that stuff down can only help you. Whether it acts as a rant receptacle, a place to organize your thoughts, or whatever, as long as you have something that you want to say, there's no reason you shouldn't say it! Unless you're badmouthing gerbils. Because everyone knows that gerbils are the ****.

As for the egotism part...honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. The blog is SUPPOSED to be all about you, after all! :smalltongue: But really, as long as the entries aren't just heaps of paragraphs praising your eloquence and magnificent beauty, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Oh, but there's one caveat for that last guideline. IF you also praise MY eloquence and magnificent beauty while praising your own, it's fine. :smalltongue:

I have actually been thinking about starting a blog myself...the only reason I have done it is because the things I would want to talk about aren't really things I would want people to hear.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Er, four cents. It seems I put in a little too much.

Could I have the change, please?

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 12:05 AM
thanks but you only get change if you praise me. I need the ego boost
from
EE

Kimusabe
2008-08-30, 12:08 AM
I'd also say that It's a good idea, Blogs can be a great place to keep all kinds of stuff. They can be really helpful for, well, lotsa stuff (can't think of any examples right now, but hey)

The only thing that is really annoying, is when you forget where your blog is, like I do... :smallredface:

Haruki-kun
I got a blog recently. They're fun, you know? And it's not that egotistical, it's basically a diary you let other people read.

The only question that matters is: Do you feel like it?

EvilElitest
I'd also say that It's a good idea, Blogs can be a great place to keep all kinds of stuff. They can be really helpful for, well, lotsa stuff (can't think of any examples right now, but hey)

The only thing that is really annoying, is when you forget where your blog is, like I do... :smallredface:

well, that would be distressing if you forgot
from
EE

Sneak
2008-08-30, 12:09 AM
Oh, EvilElitest, you superbly magnificent stallion of a vertically challenged Frenchman... :smalltongue:

Kimusabe
2008-08-30, 12:11 AM
well It only happened the one time, but I found it eventually. was kinda funny to begin with, then I got really annoyed. It wasn't really distressing, cuz that blog had like NOTHING at all on it, so I didn't really care.

And well, I suck at remembering to popst on blogs, so I don't often use them, in fact, pretty much never now.

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 12:13 AM
Oh, EvilElitest, you superbly magnificent stallion of a vertically challenged Frenchman... :smalltongue:

good man, through i prefer to think of myself as "paying homage to bilbo"

Here are you two cents
/pay

And K, i wish you luck on the blogs

my biggest question is weather a blog of mine would attact interest
from
EE

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-08-30, 01:29 AM
Well, EE...I have TWO blogs.

The first is used for me to tell various tales from my life, and has actually become a way for people who wander off the Playground to keep tabs on me. (A few people have told me of the latter.) Some people have actually become "fans" of my blog, if only because my posts don't wander all over the place. Writing style, especially wit (which you have (oh, and that was my catering to your ego)) helps to make a blog interesting. And this one was started so I would have somewhere to empty my head of all the things going on in there.

Then there's my fictional blog. As far as I know, I have all of two fans. One squeals in delight over it, and another had chosen to create a blog based off mine. In the fictional blog, I "live" a life of decadence. I'm rich, powerful...all the things I'm not in real life.

The bothersome thing about the fictional blog is that I invited peope to become interactive with the character, and I've had no replies. I established a thread in the arts and crafts section, because this wasn't the place for it, and I can see that numerous people have LOOKED at it, but they've done nothing otherwise. :smallfrown:

Links to both are in my sig.

My official word is that you should write a blog because you WANT to. Don't let others dictate whether you should or not.

Nychta
2008-08-30, 02:39 AM
Well, I have a blog which I share with my friend. When I started it, I thought "I'm pretty sure people don't want to read about my life, because they'd be bored to death. Screw that, I'll write whatever I want, because it's my own website." My friend agreed.
Make a blog, try it out, see if you like it. If you don't, abandon it. If you do, great, happy happy joy joy, continue with it. But I think that you should be writing for yourself.

valadil
2008-08-30, 08:45 AM
Start a blog if you feel like writing. Don't start if you just want people to read it.

I've started 3 in the last year. I only think one of them got a single reader. Since the blogs exist as an outlet for my writing, I don't care that nobody reads them. Getting comments would be nice, but it's not the purpose of the blog for me.

I also find it healthy to write about things that I find frustrating. My first blog outside of livejournal was a place for me to rant about work during an especially frustrating and embittering time. Putting that frustration on paper (well, on wordpress) was a release, where it otherwise would have bottled up in me. This is where using a blog as opposed to a diary is helpful. A diary is still mine. A blog post is public and free.

DraPrime
2008-08-30, 08:53 AM
Just consider these forums to be your blog.

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 12:42 PM
real thing is, i don't know if people would be interested in what i say. I mean, would anybody here be interested in a blog by me?
from
EE

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 01:15 PM
It depends on what you write about. If your blogs are hugely egotistical to the point of self parody, I would love it. If you made fun of people on this forum and in RL, I would love it. If you used a spell checker, I would love it. In fact, feel free to email me any blog post if you want it copy-edited. I know that you think that your points are made with or without it, but for it to actually be an engaging read, it needs to be grammatically/linguistically correct.

Krrth
2008-08-30, 01:32 PM
Eh, I'd at least check it out. If I go back would be entirely dependent on what/how you blogged.

Setra
2008-08-30, 01:33 PM
real thing is, i don't know if people would be interested in what i say. I mean, would anybody here be interested in a blog by me?
from
EE
I'd check it out :smalltongue:

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 05:30 PM
It depends on what you write about. If your blogs are hugely egotistical to the point of self parody, I would love it. If you made fun of people on this forum and in RL, I would love it. If you used a spell checker, I would love it. In fact, feel free to email me any blog post if you want it copy-edited. I know that you think that your points are made with or without it, but for it to actually be an engaging read, it needs to be grammatically/linguistically correct.

fair enough, self mocking egotism is something that i'm a fan of. alright then, i'll get started, i might be able to get it up in a month. Thanks for the offer. If i'm going to do a blog, i'll spell check it a lot more, but if you want i'll triple check with you

Also my first subject would be alignments of historical figures, as a different thread mentioned. It just seems like a great topic
from
EE

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 06:44 PM
:smallbiggrin:
Sounds cool, I'm pretty good at editing other people's stuff, and I definitely have the time.

Innis Cabal
2008-08-30, 07:04 PM
Honestly, id lose all respect for you. Your better then a Blog.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 07:07 PM
What's the matter with blogs?

Edea
2008-08-30, 07:18 PM
Good question, I dunno what's wrong with them, either <_<.

WhiteMonkey
2008-08-30, 07:40 PM
Creating your own blog is a fine idea however, keep in mind that posting something on line is about the same as having it printed in a newsletter. Once you've said it, you can't take it back; ever.

Things in print are considerably more dangerous than the spoken word because people well out of 'earshot' will know you've said it, it never goes away even should your opinions change, and the people you've hurt will be much harder pressed to forgive you since you'd chosen a format that won't fade with time and that was shared with many people.

Innis Cabal
2008-08-30, 07:43 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

Warning. Bad language.

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 07:43 PM
Honestly, id lose all respect for you. Your better then a Blog.

eh?
from
EE

zeratul
2008-08-30, 08:57 PM
THeyre good for when you're bored. Might as well, nothing to loose.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 09:10 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

Warning. Bad language.

Dude, that guy is a @$$. Linking to that nonsense is not okay on GitP. :smallmad:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-30, 09:41 PM
Seriously, I would check on it. Seriously.

Collin152
2008-08-30, 10:00 PM
I need the ego boost

No, you don't.

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 10:20 PM
No, you don't.

but, but, but

Innis, are you saying that you agree with Maddox, or sighing Maddox as an example of blogs gone wrong (because he basically doesn't a blog)
from
EE

Nychta
2008-08-31, 12:42 AM
If you started a blog, I would definitely check it out; you have some interesting opinions, and talk about stuff that I've never thought about. I would probably continue reading if it was edited. Also, if anyone else needs editing, and doesn't mind someone who's legally illiterate, I can edit. Funnily enough, I love editing stuff.

H. Zee
2008-09-01, 01:58 AM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/HazJT/thought_provoker.gif

Seriously, though, you should do whatever the hell you want to do, because this is THE INTRANETS!

EvilElitest
2008-09-01, 09:57 AM
If you started a blog, I would definitely check it out; you have some interesting opinions, and talk about stuff that I've never thought about. I would probably continue reading if it was edited. Also, if anyone else needs editing, and doesn't mind someone who's legally illiterate, I can edit. Funnily enough, I love editing stuff.

???

well if you actually like editing stuff, i'd be glad to email you my final drafts. Seems like a good relationship to me

As for the picture

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
from
EE