PDA

View Full Version : GitP Web radio station?

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 12:00 PM
I've been doing some poking around the net, and I haven't found anything recent (everything is from 2000) addressing this: would it be possible to set up an internet radio station, based on request by GitP members, hosted on a website with huge amounts of space (not this one, :P)? My friend has a website that he isn't doing much with aside from hosting a small forum, and he's definitely okay with giving me a gigabyte or two (or two thousand) to work with. So, I ask you, playground: who do I go about doing this? Is it even possible? And most importantly, is there interest?

Raistlin1040
2008-08-30, 12:04 PM
I'd be interested, especially if we could set up some sort of system of DJs. (With myself having an hour, definatly. Except I'd be like JackFM, no requests.)

Dragor
2008-08-30, 12:26 PM
That would be seriously awesome. I'm behind you all the way!

I have no idea how it could be done though- would you need admin/Rich's permission to do this? Just thinking aloud.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 12:40 PM
Well, it would be offsite, so we wouldn't need their permission.

Dragor
2008-08-30, 01:05 PM
Well, it would be offsite, so we wouldn't need their permission.

Of course, but if you decided to use GitP in the name was more what I was thinking of. :smallsmile:

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 01:07 PM
Oh. Actually, I was thinking of having some kind of GitP related name, instead of actually saying GitP.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-30, 02:26 PM
Yeah, that would be a good idea. It sounds like it would be cool.

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 02:28 PM
a podcast would be interesting as well. Through i'm hoping to that on my own
from
EE

RTGoodman
2008-08-30, 02:30 PM
I've just started listening to a little bit of web radio, and I think this would be cool. Playground Radio or something, you could call it. I'd listen.

Calvin33
2008-08-30, 02:33 PM
I like it

Very good idea, behind you 112%

Zakama
2008-08-30, 02:35 PM
That'd be kickin. I approve of this plan.

thubby
2008-08-30, 02:36 PM
doing it legally would be a bureaucratic nightmare.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-30, 02:55 PM
It would be awesome.

Even though Thubby has a point.

But as a fantasy geek. I usually listen to this web-based radio. (http://www.radiorivendell.com/?&sid=9e14249ef85bfbf4c515620a3b549e2d)

And I request that sometime ever, if this gets up, that C is for Cookie is played.:smalltongue:

DraPrime
2008-08-30, 02:58 PM
This is a fantastic idea. And I demand DJ status on this station!

Sneak
2008-08-30, 03:15 PM
This is a nifty idea. I don't really know how one would go about setting up a web radio station, but if you need help, I'm willing to do whatever I can. Including lots of googling. :P

RTGoodman
2008-08-30, 03:33 PM
But as a fantasy geek. I usually listen to this web-based radio. (http://www.radiorivendell.com/?&sid=9e14249ef85bfbf4c515620a3b549e2d)

Heh, that's the exact station I've been listening to recently. I don't know exactly what a Playground station would play (Trog's actual TALK show? The CharOp Advice Hour? V's Gender: A Debate? Music from and Inspired by Stick-Figure Comics?), but I think there's potential.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-30, 03:38 PM
Trog's actual TALK show
That would be so awesome.
And with a thread or something, with send in messages and a interviewee and trog or something!

Oh I love this already!

Or, with Bor and all his great advice in the dep thread. Bor's help. Or something. Dunno. We would have to send him a headset or something me guesses.

Ego Slayer
2008-08-30, 04:41 PM
Ooh. This would be really cool. I'm the useless type, though. So I'm gonna sit back and cheer you guys on until you figure something out. :smallbiggrin:

YPU
2008-08-30, 05:48 PM
I might be wrong here, but I think that getting a podcast on the we isn’t so hard. Im pretty sure a bit of google will get you some site that allows you to make you own podcasts for itunes and others. The advantage of a podcast would be that you can go at whatever speed you want, no need to be on-air 24/7 this way play grounders from all over the world could hear it at appropriate times. As for how to get multiple playgrounders in there, perhaps it could be done recording the conversation over skype or something like that.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 06:42 PM
A podcast might be cool. I don't have time to set it up though. I'll let one of you geeks get on that. :smallwink:
Perhaps, we could use this format: Myself, whoever formats the podcast, if their interested, and possibly two or three people the playground nominates can play twenty minute (or so) set lists, and Trog can email us a mp3 of his talk show (he could interview mods or something). That would be cool

EDIT: Sneak, google. Get to it. :smallwink:

Jack Squat
2008-08-30, 07:45 PM
doing it legally would be a bureaucratic nightmare.

I don't think there should be anything too difficult about setting up a web radio. All the red tape that I can think of involves actually broadcasting the songs, not putting them up on your own personal website to listen to. Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so I can't be certain on this.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-30, 08:02 PM
I would be willing to DJ. I've tried doing something like this before, but that was just me...

Phae Nymna
2008-08-30, 08:27 PM
I'd be willing to DJ/Talk. Or rather, I'd be willing to put random songs on between me rambling about my day and conducting interviews with fountains and such.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-30, 08:59 PM
So, basically, we have a bunch of DJs and no technicians... this ain't gonna work. :smalleek:

thubby
2008-08-30, 09:34 PM
I don't think there should be anything too difficult about setting up a web radio. All the red tape that I can think of involves actually broadcasting the songs, not putting them up on your own personal website to listen to. Of course, I'm not a lawyer, so I can't be certain on this.

the web is broadcast. you are technically distributing a product you do not have the rights to for "profit" (which is not defined by monetary gain, and hits does qualify)

internet radio is still being debated on capital hill.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-30, 09:35 PM
In Canada it's fine!

All we need to do is get a .ca site!

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-08-31, 12:52 AM
Giant On The Air. Just when I thought I'd heard everything.

Heh. Sounds interesting. I'd help, but I have neither the talent, equipment, or confidence to do anything. An ego can only take you so far.

thubby
2008-08-31, 12:55 AM
In Canada it's fine!

All we need to do is get a .ca site!

i find that very hard to believe.
even in canada you have to deal with international copyright law.

reorith
2008-08-31, 01:40 AM
I like it

Very good idea, behind you 112%

i'm with you 187%

Reinboom
2008-08-31, 01:57 AM
Do you want streaming radio that is always on or downloadable radio?
Always on requires a dedicated server, that is, a computer that can keep the program running constantly, no breaks, etc. As in, not a webhost. I can try to give out this.

Downloadable can just be slapped on a standard webhost. I can give out this.

Amotis
2008-08-31, 03:22 AM
I would be willing to dedicate my time and effort (and music library) in supporting this project.

Streaming would be fun but not sure how available that is. Probably more manageable if we do it say weekly starting at such and such time.

JettWilderbeast
2008-08-31, 03:27 AM
i'm with you 187%

I'm with you 110% which means I could drop off 10% and still be behind you 100% which is quite alot.

KuReshtin
2008-08-31, 09:20 AM
Real-time broadcasting is a piece of cake to sort out.
I've been doing that for years for an online football league where we broadcast the game commentary live as the games are being played. That way, anyone interested in that game can listen in and follow the progress.

Of course, this also works with a regular 'radio' broadcast thing.
All you need is your windows media player, a mic and Windows Media Encoder, and you're sorted.

It's live broadcast from your computer and anyone that has the URL (which of course you would post in the appropriate forum) will be able to tune in and listen. Also, any instant messaging system or e-mail could be used to take requests..

Just some random thoughts on how you could go about doing a live broadcast.

Obviously, that does not take into account the legality of broadcasting music, which is a totally different issue, and for legal reasons I can not condone it without having the proper licences to do so.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-31, 12:51 PM
So how do Pandora or Live365 get around the legal issue? What's the likelyhood of getting busted for this anyhow? :smalleek:

Anyhow, if push comes to shove, I can probably play stuff right off of Concert Vault, and we know that there aren't really any issues with that anyhow.

Mr. Moon
2008-08-31, 05:49 PM
Ya know, with all the legal issues, getting a podcast seems like a wonderfull idea. Hang on, I'll go look on google.

Okay, here's (http://podcastingscout.com/podcast-hosting) a good tutorial I found on hosting podcasts.

And looking around on iTunes, it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to get it there, we'd just have to host it first, on a server. The tutorial I linked to suggests a good one, but I haven't looked at it.

thubby
2008-08-31, 06:13 PM
So how do Pandora or Live365 get around the legal issue? What's the likelyhood of getting busted for this anyhow? :smalleek:

by paying massive amounts of money for the rights and hemorrhaging more money for several years.

Moff Chumley
2008-08-31, 09:17 PM
Ya know, with all the legal issues, getting a podcast seems like a wonderfull idea. Hang on, I'll go look on google.

Okay, here's (http://podcastingscout.com/podcast-hosting) a good tutorial I found on hosting podcasts.

And looking around on iTunes, it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to get it there, we'd just have to host it first, on a server. The tutorial I linked to suggests a good one, but I haven't looked at it.

Excellent. So, it looks like this is our course of action:
1) Get someone to do the technical stuff.
2) Vote on DJs.
3) Determine length of sets.
4) Email engineer playlist
5) Set date and time.
6) ???
7) PROFIT.

Moff Chumley
2008-09-02, 08:27 PM
Excellent, I just got permission from my friend to use "up to two hundred gigabytes" of his server dealie, whatever that means. Can't be bad, though. :smallbiggrin:

Lupy
2008-09-02, 08:43 PM
I'm learning CSS and I'm good at HTML. Every now and then I could do stuff, though not regularly enough to be the techie... :smallfrown:

ocato
2008-09-02, 08:58 PM
Honestly, if the idea is to do Podcasts, I think talk is going to be your big seller, not music per se. I'll download a pod to listen to Thog's Talkshow or Bor talks about how pretty you are on the inside. Someone else's playlist? Less interesting. Not that I don't appreciate your musical tastes, I just think that people would rather listen to some of the more popular threads in Talk show/interview fashion than someone's top 10 favorite technotronic songs or something.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-02, 08:59 PM
So, basically, we have a bunch of DJs and no technicians... this ain't gonna work. :smalleek:

I haven't read much after this, but I can do some stuff like this.

Moff Chumley
2008-09-03, 06:23 PM
Cool. So, can you try to figure out some way of delivering playlists/talk to people's computers via any means you can think of?

@ocato: Possibly, we could have talk interspersed with stuff like "and this is Allara's favorite song..." ect.

Mr. Moon
2008-09-03, 07:10 PM
I think doing podcasts is probably the way to go. Just one quick subscription, and boom, it's downloaded to your iTunes as soon as it comes out. I'd even be willing to get it so that the podcast is on iTunes. But someone else has to put it on a server for me.

Raistlin1040
2008-09-03, 07:14 PM
I think doing podcasts is probably the way to go. Just one quick subscription, and boom, it's downloaded to your iTunes as soon as it comes out.

*Cough*OrZuneMarketplace!*cough*

Oh, sorry about that. Nasty cold. It's going around, y'know?

Lupy
2008-09-03, 07:17 PM
I think that doing the popular threads as talkshows would be fun. The SMBG would even be good for laughs... Yep, I'd listen in, probably not go on the air, but listen in.

Moff Chumley
2008-09-03, 08:26 PM
We could get Curly to read some ships... twould be humorous. :smallamused:

Trog
2008-09-10, 08:52 AM
There's actual requests for me to do the talk show? :smalleek:

I didn't think it was that popular to be honest.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-10, 09:23 AM
There's actual requests for me to do the talk show? :smalleek:

I didn't think it was that popular to be honest.
It was with me.

Also Curly reading some fics would be awesome.

Also, live streaming would be helpfull and more...Dunno, live. Live is more fun anyway....

*takes notice to get up on 3 in the middle of the night so he can listen to Trog's talkshow* Or something...

Maybe you can ask one of the guys who started Radio Rivendell (http://www.radiorivendell.com/?&sid=9e14249ef85bfbf4c515620a3b549e2d) on their forums?

Renegade Paladin
2008-09-10, 10:05 AM
Dibs on the obligatory talk radio hour. :smalltongue: