PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are also Wizards.com forum refugees?

celestialkin
2008-08-30, 12:31 PM
Due to WotC attempts to ruin the 3.5 community on their site (to sell more 4.0) I found myself wondering the net for a new home, and along with one other forum (see my signature if you like) I found this place after someone introduced me to the OotS comic.

To my surprise I seem to have been welcomed, and I am really liking the place so far.

I wish more people specified whether their threads were 3.x or 4.0, though, but I guess that can not be helped considering we are now the minority. :smallannoyed:

So, who else here used to be a regular at the WotC forums before 4.0 drove us out?

TheCountAlucard
2008-08-30, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't call myself a "regular," but I was on pretty often, mostly on the "What's a DM to Do?" area. I rather liked E. Ravenwood's traps...

Frosty
2008-08-30, 12:42 PM
I stopped going there because ever since 4e came around, I don't know why but many of the threads there causes my CPU to utilize like 100% of its resources and eat my RAM. I've had to resort to downloading the threads in .txt files to read them. It sucks.

Edea
2008-08-30, 12:54 PM
I'm one of the refugees, though I'm not sure it was a '3e vs 4e' thing so much as 'Gleemax sucked ass and failed at multiple account migrations.'

Raistlin1040
2008-08-30, 01:00 PM
I was a member a long time ago (like three years), and the I left because it was just awful. No one could spell, no one could ever say anything nice, anything and everything was a flame war. *Shudders* Awful.

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 01:01 PM
Wait, how far can we take this metaphor?
from
EE

Recaiden
2008-08-30, 01:03 PM
I'm one of the refugees, though I'm not sure it was a '3e vs 4e' thing so much as 'Gleemax sucked ass and failed at multiple account migrations.'

I agree with this post. I actually followed a specific thread that migrated here from Gleemax and found Gitp to be much better.

Starbuck_II
2008-08-30, 01:05 PM
I was a member a long time ago (like three years), and the I left because it was just awful. No one could spell, no one could ever say anything nice, anything and everything was a flame war. *Shudders* Awful.

To be fair, the flame wars are lessened.
Even Psionics is finally be accepted over in the Previous Forums (3.5). So that is a positive.

RTGoodman
2008-08-30, 01:05 PM

Yeah, I was kinda the same. I was a member, but I didn't post that much. I just never got a real community feeling. I basically stopped going after the Gleemax announcement, but that was a Gleemax thing rather than a 3.x vs. 4E thing. I think the only thing I've been there for since is to find certain threads in the CharOps board and to follow a campaign diary by the DM Caligula. Once his RHoD game ended, though, I stopped going back.

Animefunkmaster
2008-08-30, 01:19 PM
I don't consider myself a refugee, as I still visit post in the Char Op at the same pace (every now and then). I had always gone to the oots forum, but sometime within the last 5 months, I started coming here more often.

I am not a fan of flame wars on either site, but I do notice a lot of monk hatred in this forum. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Sir Giamoco's guide is practical, I just don't think it warrants some of the responses.

In any event, back to the shadows *poof*

Crow
2008-08-30, 01:22 PM

Same here, followed by the fanatical anti-3.5ism that has taken root there.

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 01:24 PM
really, how far can we take the refugee metaphor
from
EE

Tengu_temp
2008-08-30, 01:25 PM
If you posted at Wizards' forums before but not anymore, you're a refugee.

EvilElitest
2008-08-30, 01:27 PM
If you posted at Wizards' forums before but not anymore, you're a refugee.

no i meant compared to real life refugees, i wonder how far the metaphor can go
from
EE

MCerberus
2008-08-30, 01:29 PM
I lurked every once in a while but not for a long while.

Eldariel
2008-08-30, 01:45 PM
I still read Wizards forum. That said, ever since Gleemax my activity there has dropped hundredfold. And I don't agree with their actions regarding the D&D-forums or Magic for that matter. In fact, I don't agree with anything they're doing right now, and seeing that every D&D and Magic: the Gathering-related (even remotedly) forum I read (and that's a lot...in the neighbourhood of 20 sites) either has a thread for Gleemax refuges or for bitching about recent WoTC policies and actions, I'm assuming I'm not the only one.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-08-30, 01:55 PM
I joined this forum before wizards and only go to gleemax for Star Wars and d20 modern, which nobody posts about on this forum.

So I don't count.

I pretty much gave up on the gaming part of this site when nobody replied to any of my homebrew stuff.

thegurullamen
2008-08-30, 02:12 PM
no i meant compared to real life refugees, i wonder how far the metaphor can go
from
EE

I don't think a single person in these forums would go anywhere near as far as to actually liken any of us to displaced Georgians or Iraqis (and if one exists, he or she is an ass.) According to the less infamous definition of refugee, "one who flees", anyone who left the Gleemax forums to come here instead technically qualifies.

I left Gleemax and came here. I'm sad that a lot of the homebrew stuff from the WotC 3.5 forums was lost (especially the Shadowfoot Classes and PrCs) but now I've got The Demented One and Krimm Blackleaf, so fair trade-off I suppose.

Swok
2008-08-30, 02:29 PM
'Gleemax sucked ass and failed at multiple account migrations.'

This. This a thousand thousand times.

Also partially the shenanigans that were going on with multiple Moderators.

turkishproverb
2008-08-30, 02:38 PM
Due to WotC attempts to ruin the 3.5 community on their site (to sell more 4.0) I found myself wondering the net for a new home, and along with one other forum (see my signature if you like) I found this place after someone introduced me to the OotS comic.

To my surprise I seem to have been welcomed, and I am really liking the place so far.

I wish more people specified whether their threads were 3.x or 4.0, though, but I guess that can not be helped considering we are now the minority. :smallannoyed:

So, who else here used to be a regular at the WotC forums before 4.0 drove us out?
Welcome aboard.

I think my last straw for visiting that site was their Forum lead choices, and the fact one of them immediately proceeded to show disdain for many of the board members who didn't worship 4th.

As to wishing people specified, in all fairness we get 2nd edition people posting in random threads. And shadowrun people on occasion. You get used to it.

Prometheus
2008-08-30, 03:11 PM
So wait, WotC actually made moderators who were happy to coerce 3.x version supporters? That is a little scary.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-30, 03:20 PM
I drop by on occasion, but I really don't care for it much anymore. What I think drove me away was them jamming everything into "previous editions" and deleting so many of the things I had bookmarked. I'm not too broken up about it, I always liked Giantitp alot more anyway.

Recaiden
2008-08-30, 04:21 PM
So wait, WotC actually made moderators who were happy to coerce 3.x version supporters? That is a little scary.

Yeah, the Gleemax mods were scary. Well, most of the mods here are a bit scary too, but here its a passive scaryness. At Gleemax they seemed actively hostile to the forumgoers.

Vortling
2008-08-30, 04:30 PM
I never really posted over there, but I do go over there and read sometimes. I still find the CharOp boards useful and occasionally General Discussion has something useful.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-08-30, 04:35 PM
I've never been to the Wizards forums (despite being interested in D&D for years) I do stop by the books area once in awhile to read discussions about books I've read, mostly Forgotten Realms novels, but I prefer Giantitp and SB.com to any of the other forums I visit. I'm on this and SB whenever possible. I've heard some horror stories (both here and on other forums) but its sort of hard to imagine mods and the forum-owners being that bad.

Ifni
2008-08-30, 04:38 PM
*waves hand*

I started feeling pretty unwelcome there in the leadup to 4e, due mostly to a few rabidly anti-3.5 posters (you know the sort, the ones whose idea of an argument is "You're wrong and I'm right", the ones who will call you an evil munchkin powergamer devoted to ruining your friends' games as soon as you mention you played casters in 3.5*). Gleemax's inability to remember me didn't encourage me to stay, either. I still read the Living Greyhawk boards, but they've been pretty quiet lately. The atmosphere seems more civil here, and on ENWorld - while I've been a member here for a while, I've been reading these boards more frequently since leaving the WotC boards.

*Note: I'm not saying most 4e supporters are anything like this, and I know there were anti-4e jerks on the WotC boards (and elsewhere). Flaming is just always more noticeable when you're on the receiving end.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-30, 04:47 PM
As to wishing people specified, in all fairness we get 2nd edition people posting in random threads. And shadowrun people on occasion. You get used to it.

And then there's me, a guy who considers AD&D and original DND a joke, dislikes DND 3.x and considers 4e decent, not even on his Top Five Games list.

Ichneumon
2008-08-30, 05:17 PM
I used to visit the wotc forums too, but left soon after the announcement of 4e. I am a person who likes realism and likes a game system to be a reality simulator, although I completely understand when people think differently I felt people there were only bashing and insulting and I lost interest, although I still sometimes visit the forums. (I for example think it is a shame that they done away with the special diagonal movement rules in favor of simplicity and would much rather have liked it when they would have used hexes instead as it is both more realistic and simple.)

Thurbane
2008-08-30, 07:00 PM
I actually gave up on the WotC forums quite a while before the announcement of 4E. I found too many of the posters too snarky and unhelpful, and the moderators overly draconian and heavy handed.

I migrated to the Enworld forum, which I really enjoyed, and found far, far more helpful and friendly than WotC. After 4E came out, however, the 3.5 discussions at Enworld really dried up, so I found myself more and more over here. :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2008-08-30, 07:08 PM
I agree with this post. I actually followed a specific thread that migrated here from Gleemax and found Gitp to be much better.

We are not scary and and anyone who says we are is gonna get it. :smallwink:

Gorbash
2008-08-30, 07:21 PM
Right... And that's why you ban the best forum members.

Rockphed
2008-08-30, 07:22 PM
really, how far can we take the refugee metaphor
from
EE

Don't make me revoke your metaphor privileges. (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20020520.html) As to migrating or refugeeing, I don't do those. However, the edition wars are still in force around here(note the 50+ pages of "Why 4th edition is bad" thread). I think both sides have used the "You are wrong and I am right" thing, but such normally gets mowed down by both sides. I have yet to see a real flame war here that doesn't get stomped out by our implacable, ceramic mods, and most of the inter people conflicts originated in the Silly Message Board Games section.

Welcome to GITP, and may you convert to the TRUE gaming system soon:smallwink:

At the Ninja: They ban flamers, trolls, spammers, and trouble makers. That Great Homebrewers sometimes get thrown into those categories is unfortunate. On the other hand, their adherance to rule of law is much better than Henry VIII. (I think that is the one I want. I can never remember.)

black dragoon
2008-08-30, 08:14 PM
I stalked The Wotc boards for a time. Not long though. I personally didn't like them. I lurked and felt the bad vibes off those Mods. So I stick primarily to Planewalker and Gitp. Both of which are still willing to stand us 'new' old schoolers.:smallwink:
Planewalker actually actively seems to be against 4E at times. Doesn't hurt my feelings any.

tyckspoon
2008-08-30, 08:21 PM
We are not scary and and anyone who says we are is gonna get it. :smallwink:

Scary gun-slinging moderator! Hug me! :smalltongue:

Jimp
2008-08-31, 09:25 AM
I prefer the community here to the Gleemax forums. I never did post on the forums, just read threads now and then, but got a generally bad atmosphere there.
We also get a fun mix of other game systems here. GURPS, M&M, Shadowrun, Star Wars Saga/d6, Exalted, Dark Heresy and I think one or two others that pop up regularly. Plenty of D&D talk too right from 1st edition to 4th.