PDA

View Full Version : [4e] good encounter power for a never-say-die race

quillbreaker
2008-08-31, 01:26 AM
I'm statting out a race for my campaign for a series of independent tough race that sees itself as being on a never-ending crusade against the controlling forces of law. A very (very) slight inspiration is the wildlings out of a Song of Fire and Ice.

I can't come up with a good racial encounter power for them, however, so I suppose I'll open the floor to suggestions.

FoE
2008-08-31, 01:44 AM
We need more details, man. 'They're like wildlings' ain't cutting it.

Are they humanlike? Elf-like? Dwarf-like? Are they similar to orcs? Goblins? Lizardmen? Yuan ti? Do they share any similarities to certain animals, like dogs? Hippos? Bats? What gods do they serve? Where do they live? Do they fly? Burrow underground? Hibernate in caves? What weapons do they use?

mayonase
2008-08-31, 01:46 AM
There's a couple races with 'Never Say Die' abilities you may want to look to for inspiration: Orcs' "Warrior’s Surge" and Hobgoblins' "Hobgoblin Resilience" immediately spring to mind, with the Halfling "Second Chance" also bearing mention. Basically, if you're looking for a 'Never Say Die', you're looking for a way to let a character either regain hitpoints more easily/more often/more rapidly, shrug off some attack or crippling condition, dodge a hit entirely, immediately stabilize from dying, etc. Crib one of these powers or do something kinda similar and you won't have any kind of overpowered situation.

Of course, if I remember my Wildlings properly and if you're modding off them extensively, I'd also recommend possibly looking to "Goblin Tactics" or the Kobold "Shifty", as those were sneaky quick little buggers who were demons to hit in melee.

Good luck!

quillbreaker
2008-08-31, 01:47 AM
We need more details, man. 'They're like wildlings' ain't cutting it.

Are they humanlike? Elf-like? Dwarf-like? Are they similar to orcs? Goblins? Lizardmen? Yuan ti? Do they share any similarities to certain animals, like dogs? Hippos? Bats? What gods do they serve? Where do they live? Do they fly? Burrow underground? Hibernate in caves? What weapons do they use?

They're orange, about 5 feet tall, and prefer to fight with axes. Fortitude is the best save. Their natural environment is mountains but they've spread out to take up most of the terrain.

That doesn't seem really important in the hunt for a good mechanic, though.

quillbreaker
2008-08-31, 02:04 AM
I probably should have been more specific, I was hoping to find something new. The selection of monsters for 2nd level encounters is short enough as it is.

Grynning
2008-08-31, 02:23 AM
They're orange, about 5 feet tall, and prefer to fight with axes. Fortitude is the best save. Their natural environment is mountains but they've spread out to take up most of the terrain.

That doesn't seem really important in the hunt for a good mechanic, though.

Sounds a lot like dwarves, just a bit taller with lots of fake tan lotion. You could probably get away with re-flavoring dwarves, or at least stealing their Second Wind as a swift action power.

Since it sounds like they're a bit faster than dwarves and maybe a bit more outdoors-ey, how about this (kind of a mix of elf and dwarf):

Orange Wildling Like Guys:
Abilities: +2 Con, +2 Dex
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-light
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Endurance
OWLG Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with Battleaxes and Throwing Axes
Wild Step: You ignore difficult terrain when you shift.
Defense Bonus: You gain a +1 to your Fortitude defense
Never Say Die
Encounter
Immediate Reaction; Personal
Trigger: You take damage while you are bloodied
Effect: You may use your Second Wind