PDA

View Full Version : Theoretically possible to visit your favorite D&D setting (or other media) IRL?

celestialkin
2008-08-31, 11:56 AM
This question has been on my mind for a few years now, so after learning that this forum is 99.999% full of genius smart people in the bragging thread (stupid smart people :smallfrown:...) I figured I'd ask this question here.

From what little I understand of alternate realities, I get that there is a near infinite number of alternate universes out there, which means that every possibility imaginable is or took place elsewhere in one of those realities. So, does this mean that everything from all the D&D settings (Greyhawk, Faerun, Spelljammer, etc), to the Final Fantasy worlds and characters, to Barbie and Ken, to Barnie are actually real and out there somewhere as we speak?

alexeduardo
2008-08-31, 11:59 AM
maybe, but it seems very improbable

Leon Stormchild
2008-08-31, 12:02 PM
Since it is metaphysically concievable (which means: you thought of it, therefore it can be thought of) then, yes, it is theoretically possible.

(Basic philosopfy ftw!:smallbiggrin:)

SDF
2008-08-31, 12:11 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say no. :smalltongue:

Phase
2008-08-31, 12:13 PM
Probably. Who knows, maybe we'll have a crossover after they activate the Large Haddron Collider thing? I hope so. It would be so much better than the world ending.

Shai'Hulud
2008-08-31, 12:15 PM
Yes it is theoretical possible. However, there is currently know theory which is held in good standing to confirm the existence of said alternate realities in the first place. There are none which disprove their existence but there are non that prove it either.

Even if there are alternate realities and we did find a way to travel to them the probability of finding any specific one or specific set in the theoretically infinite spread of them would be minuscule.

(sorry to dash your hopes but hey there is still a chance, just one that is so small that it is hardly worth thinking about.)

SurlySeraph
2008-08-31, 01:05 PM
The only really strong evidence for the concept of alternate universes is in string theory, where the fact that many essential equations have multiple solutions suggests that there could be different sets of laws of physics (one for each solution) in a series of different universes, but even in that case there would be a limited number of alternate universes. And I have a fair degree of contempt for string theory.
The concept of an infinite number of alternate universes is honestly no more than a "what-if?" scenario. As awesome as it would be, it is extremely unlikely to be true.

Wraithy
2008-08-31, 01:12 PM
Yeah, but by that same logic there is a reality out there where Tom Cruise exists, and I'm just not ready to accept that.

bosssmiley
2008-08-31, 01:39 PM
Nope, sorry.

A universe has to be internally self-consistent in order to maintain its existence. None of the D&D worlds the OP cited are anything like internally consistent. :smallwink:

Cyrano
2008-08-31, 03:10 PM
Nope, sorry.

A universe has to be internally self-consistent in order to maintain its existence. None of the D&D worlds the OP cited are anything like internally consistent. :smallwink:

But maybe there are universes where inconsistency IS consistant!

Because of Quantum!

Wraithy
2008-08-31, 03:29 PM

You can take your imaginative originality elsewhere good Sir!

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-31, 03:36 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say no. :smalltongue:

i'll preserve my sanity and agree with you

Cyrano
2008-08-31, 03:45 PM
You can take your imaginative originality elsewhere good Sir!

Oh! Oh my! Is that the faint, bittersweet taste of sarcasm? It's possible I may be in heaven. I'll get back to you on that one.

Collin152
2008-08-31, 06:38 PM
It's not inconceivable.

It's also not inconceivable that you'll wake up tomorrow without any skin.

The odds for the second are higher than the odds for the first. How much do you want it?

bosssmiley
2008-09-01, 04:05 AM

Because of Quantum!

"Is this one of your continuinuinumum things again Stibbons?"

Dode
2008-09-01, 04:30 AM
by "alternate realities" scientists mean dimensions where the orbits of atoms are a little too wide and matter never coalesced into stars and stuff or were too narrow and the big bang never happened, not whether Sonic the Hedgehog exists in another universe, in which case the "Otherkin" community sounds more up your alley. Also keep in mind that string theory doesn't have any evidence for or against it; it's very much a theory.

Kaihaku
2008-09-01, 05:30 AM
Precisely. Popular media has latched onto the idea of alternative dimensions but they are no more likely to be true than Hogwarts actually existing. They make for great plot devices. Something making for a great plot device doesn't make it a fact. I, personally, believe that these places exist only in our collective minds. I think it's dangerous when people start seriously pondering that they might actually 'really' exist somewhere somehow.

Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after death?
No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst out "Don't you believe in anything?"
"Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be."
~Issac Asimov