PDA

View Full Version : C&C: Red Alert

NEO|Phyte
2008-08-31, 02:53 PM
Anyone remember that game where Einstein made a time machine and used it to kill Hitler, causing an alternate timeline where the Soviets became a major power?

It's free now. (http://www.ea.com/redalert/news-detail.jsp?id=62)

alexeduardo
2008-08-31, 02:56 PM
Holy doo-doo!

how big is it? all my friends say it rocks but I haven't tested it yet

NEO|Phyte
2008-08-31, 02:57 PM
how big is it? all my friends say it rocks but I haven't tested it yet

Two 500MB ISOs.

alexeduardo
2008-08-31, 02:58 PM
Two 500MB ISOs.

that's mighty small, isn't it?
are you sure this sis the complete game?

NEO|Phyte
2008-08-31, 03:04 PM
that's mighty small, isn't it?
are you sure this sis the complete game?

It's a 12-year old game, it's GOING to seem small by today's standards.

DemonicAngel
2008-08-31, 03:05 PM
that was back when windows 98 was just out.. I still have my orignel CD's somewhere...
it's free?! holy cow... maybe I'll play... I have flashbacks from that search and bomb building one man mission. that was fun.

alexeduardo
2008-08-31, 03:06 PM
It's a 12-year old game, it's GOING to seem small by today's standards.

Well, I'll download it as soon as I get home (if there are 500 free MB there)

Nameless
2008-08-31, 03:18 PM
This thread just reminded me that I have RA 2... should start playing it again...

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-31, 04:48 PM
Oooh nice.

Asheram
2008-08-31, 05:05 PM
Oooh! I've still got my original disks around. Are the expansions free too?

Praise Jah for abandonware!

Dervag
2008-08-31, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know if there's a way to make it work for Macs?

Does there exist a free Windows emulator anywhere? I found a free DOS emulator so I could play X-COM: UFO Defense on my Mac, but that's not going to cut it for Red Alert.

Breltar
2008-08-31, 08:53 PM
There is a compilation of all the C&C games up to 'Generals: Zero-Hour' called 'C&C: The first Decade' which is probably in the 'bargain bin' now.

Neftren
2008-08-31, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know if there's a way to make it work for Macs?

Does there exist a free Windows emulator anywhere? I found a free DOS emulator so I could play X-COM: UFO Defense on my Mac, but that's not going to cut it for Red Alert.

Try Crossover or VMWare. If that doesn't work up to par for you, there's always the option of dual-booting and using Linux to emulate using WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). You don't need an Intel mac to dualboot Linux. PM me if you need Mac tech support.

Dervag
2008-08-31, 11:10 PM
There is a compilation of all the C&C games up to 'Generals: Zero-Hour' called 'C&C: The first Decade' which is probably in the 'bargain bin' now.I thought that wasn't for Macs...

Neftren
2008-09-01, 09:56 AM
Try Crossover or VMWare. If that doesn't work up to par for you, there's always the option of dual-booting and using Linux to emulate using WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). You don't need an Intel mac to dualboot Linux. PM me if you need Mac tech support.

Dervag. Read my post. A game such as Red Alert through an emulator won't even tax your system if you're running a newer Mac. Try CrossOver (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/) first. I'm not sure if you have an Intel Mac or not. If not, you can always partition your drive and install Linux and proceed to use WINE.

Rockphed
2008-09-01, 10:17 AM
I still have my disks around here somewhere. What I really want is Counterstrike. Somehow I got a box-set that didn't include it, so I never got to play those missions. :smallfrown:

Gaelbert
2008-09-01, 04:41 PM
I love this game. Countless afternoons spent... not wasted.
What exactly are you supposed to open the downloads with? My computer wants to use ITunes but I disagreed.

NEO|Phyte
2008-09-01, 04:44 PM
What exactly are you supposed to open the downloads with? My computer wants to use ITunes but I disagreed.

The ISOs? You either burn them to CDs, or mount them with your CD emulation software of choice.
To quote EA's site:
-To install the software, you will need Winzip or Winrar to unrar the files. These files have also been compiled in to an ISO image. You will need to burn the ISO to a CD for the software to function or use a Virtual CD program to run the installation on your computer.

Dervag
2008-09-01, 05:21 PM
Dervag. Read my post. A game such as Red Alert through an emulator won't even tax your system if you're running a newer Mac. Try CrossOver (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/) first. I'm not sure if you have an Intel Mac or not. If not, you can always partition your drive and install Linux and proceed to use WINE.I do have an Intel Mac.

It's not the emulator taxing the system I was concerned about. I am well aware of how incredibly powerful a modern computer is by the standard of old computer games. I've had real problems with it when I try to run those old games on modern computers.

Instead, I misunderstood what people were telling me after I did read your post.

I thought Breltar was saying: "You could buy 'C&C: The First Decade' for your Macintosh."

And I responded:
"I thought [C&C: The First Decade] wasn't [available] for Macs."

Which, so far as I know, is true.

I did not make the connection:
"Hey! I could buy 'C&C: The First Decade' for Windows and use a Windows emulator to run it."

I was not rejecting or ignoring your post; I merely responded to something else because your post seemed straightforward, objective, and true enough to need no comment.

Neftren
2008-09-02, 06:03 PM
I love this game. Countless afternoons spent... not wasted.

Try Daemon Tools (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/announcements.php) for emulation. Or if you have a program like Roxio Creator for example, you could burn the ISOs to a disk and play that way.

Edit: Anyone know of a way to merge disk images aside from doing separate burns to a disk? I was thinking of burning from one disk image to a separate disk image of larger size, then burning the other image to the same larger image.

I do have an Intel Mac.

It's not the emulator taxing the system I was concerned about. I am well aware of how incredibly powerful a modern computer is by the standard of old computer games. I've had real problems with it when I try to run those old games on modern computers.

What seems to go wrong? I'm running it fine on my Mac half. I'd definitely prefer to run it on my PC half (which is what I'm doing), but it installed mostly without a hitch through CrossOver.