xelliea
2008-08-31, 03:38 PM
what happened to pompey

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-31, 03:43 PM
He dissapeared, and I seriously doubt that he'll show up again

Emanick
2008-08-31, 03:44 PM
He's wandering the woods, or some other wild area, as the cohort of Leeky Windstaff, evil gnome druid (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html). Leeky must have a very low Charisma score if he'll take a 3rd or 4th level cohort.
I look forward to seeing what they're doing, if we ever get a chance.

Ron Miel
2008-08-31, 03:49 PM
I think this is the last we saw of him.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html

He may show up again. If not in the main strip, then in some bonus material. I doubt that Nale will let that insult go unavenged.

Morty
2008-08-31, 03:50 PM
I doubt we'll ever see Pompey and Leeky again. The comic is full of characters as it is, and the manner of their departure seems to indicate that they're gone for good.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-31, 03:52 PM
I doubt we'll ever see Pompey and Leeky again. The comic is full of characters as it is, and the manner of their departure seems to indicate that they're gone for good.

Yeah, Hilgya and Zz'dtri vanished also

Morty
2008-08-31, 03:55 PM

Hilgya has got better chances to return though; there's the matter of her brief romance with Durkon and. Zz'dtri was taken by lawyers, so he's done for; Leeky and Pompey don't have much reason to return. For now at least, my plot predicions tend to be hilariously wrong.

tribble
2008-08-31, 04:24 PM
pompey got in a fight with a troll and yelled "FIREBALL" before remembering
"My barred schools are Evocation and Enchantment"
he was then crushed into paste, which was put in a soup, which was eaten.

NerfTW
2008-08-31, 05:06 PM
Zz'dtri was a one off joke added just to round out the original Linear Guild. Hilgya seems like someone who might return at some point. Pompey and Leaky look like they'll make cameos, possibly the next time the heroes are in Cliffport. At least, I'd like to see them again.

I rather like the larger ensemble cast that's been forming. You can't save the world on your own, after all.

Lord_Drayakir
2008-08-31, 06:24 PM
Actually, druids are supposed to be neutral, aren't they? So if they can convince Leeky that the snarl is an unnatural abomination, they could gain a temporary ally.

Besides, it's not like the OotS is defiling nature on a daily basis.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-31, 06:38 PM
Actually, druids are supposed to be neutral, aren't they? So if they can convince Leeky that the snarl is an unnatural abomination, they could gain a temporary ally.

Besides, it's not like the OotS is defiling nature on a daily basis.

Druids have to be NG, LN, N, CN, or NE, and Leeky specificly states that he's evil here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0344.html)

Deepkicker
2008-08-31, 09:49 PM
Ah I say they'll return. They won't have a major part in the story, but they'll show up again. Hilgya will too I bet. Zz'dtri...not likely.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-01, 12:53 AM
Due to being a Conjurer, Pompey could easily use Orb spells, so he wouldn't be completely dfenceless against a Troll (he could also summon a Fire Elemental in that scenario once his levels were higher). I can imagine him and Leeky returning withPompey being on the same level as the Order (due to Leeky's power level, they could defeat creatures who ae much more powerful then Pompey, so he'd get more Exps). Admittedly, tere isn;t that much of a reason for them to return sadly.:smallfrown:

DBear
2008-09-01, 06:20 AM
Actually, druids are supposed to be neutral, aren't they? .

They were in 2e.

factotum
2008-09-01, 06:44 AM
Druids have to be NG, LN, N, CN, or NE, and Leeky specificly states that he's evil here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0344.html)

To be fair, though, he probably wouldn't want to see the entire world destroyed any more than a Lawful Good person would...think of all the trees that would be wiped out!

Linkavitch
2008-09-01, 07:32 PM

We don't know Hilgya completely vanished yet!

Lord_Drayakir
2008-09-01, 10:10 PM
To be fair, though, he probably wouldn't want to see the entire world destroyed any more than a Lawful Good person would...think of all the trees that would be wiped out!

Actually, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure that all the non-goblinoid, non-Xykon's minions, irregardless of alignment will eventually band together to fight against the Snarl- once they're convinced that the danger is real. Of course, at that point it might be a tad too late, but nevertheless, I'm certain that at some point everyone's survival instinct will just take over.

So this means that we could potentially see Hilgya, Leeky, the Lawyers, as well as throw-away characters, and your general NPCs fighting on one side. Is it likely to happen? I doubt it, but it could certainly be interesting to see Xykon massacre them all.

NerfTW
2008-09-02, 09:21 AM
Actually, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure that all the non-goblinoid, non-Xykon's minions, irregardless of alignment will eventually band together to fight against the Snarl- once they're convinced that the danger is real. Of course, at that point it might be a tad too late, but nevertheless, I'm certain that at some point everyone's survival instinct will just take over.

So this means that we could potentially see Hilgya, Leeky, the Lawyers, as well as throw-away characters, and your general NPCs fighting on one side. Is it likely to happen? I doubt it, but it could certainly be interesting to see Xykon massacre them all.

I doubt it. Nale now wants to control a gate, as do Sabine's employers, who may be connected to Kabuto's allies. As far as most of the characters know, the Snarl is controlable when the gate is controlled. It seems like only the Dark One knows that the ritual is actually to
move the gate, and threaten the gods.

My guess is they all show up at the last gate to find Nale already defending it, and a giant three-way (four way maybe?) breaks out. It would be poetic, considering Kraagor's gate is filled with monsters, and Nale's first plan was to control the outdated monsters in the Dungeon of Dorukan.

tribble
2008-09-02, 09:25 AM
:sabine:: Im sorry, I got lost after you said "three way"

Studoku
2008-09-02, 02:38 PM
It seems like only the Dark One knows that the ritual is actually to
move the gate, and threaten the gods.

Redcloak also knows in SoD, so did Right Eye.

Back on topic, I think Pompey is going to return and V will cast Stone to Flesh on him.

NerfTW
2008-09-03, 07:23 AM
Redcloak also knows in SoD, so did Right Eye.

Back on topic, I think Pompey is going to return and V will cast Stone to Flesh on him.

Well, yes, the Dark One and Redcloak.

Zolem
2008-09-03, 08:47 AM

Why Stone to Flesh? He wasn't a statue.

Benj
2008-09-03, 09:42 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious that Pompey would return, only to be killed by V, probably with some sort of fireball. The name-based foreshadowing is not all that subtle

David Argall
2008-09-03, 01:34 PM
Nale now wants to control a gate, as do Sabine's employers, who may be connected to Kabuto's allies.
Kabuto acted as if he had no knowledge of the Gate, which Sabine's employers had. So the two are almost certainly different sides, one devils, one demons.

My guess is they all show up at the last gate to find Nale already defending it, and a giant three-way (four way maybe?) breaks out.
Not impossible, but the heros of the story are supposed to do the heavy lifting. Instead of a four-way fight, the normal pattern is for the heros to beat each of the other foes.

Morty
2008-09-03, 01:49 PM
Not impossible, but the heros of the story are supposed to do the heavy lifting. Instead of a four-way fight, the normal pattern is for the heros to beat each of the other foes.

Right, because OoTS has always carried out useless, worn-down tropes to the letter... It's also been always completely predictable as well.

NerfTW
2008-09-03, 08:57 PM
Right, because OoTS has always carried out useless, worn-down tropes to the letter... It's also been always completely predictable as well.

Of course! And they'll work their way slowly through the ranks of villians, from weak to strong, losing a member each time, until only Elan remains to defeat the Snarl himself as a triumphant, poorly translated power ballad plays in the background!

R.O.A.
2008-09-05, 11:41 AM

Ahem.
Vaarsuvius = Versuvius, well known Italian volcano, famous for erupting in Ancient Rome, and burrying a city. Said city was exaveted, discovered to have been preserved in stone, and many people had died leaving statue like moulds of themself in the solidified lava/ash

Pompey= Pompeii, the city in ^ above.

Although to be honest, I hadn't noticed the name thing before.

Theodoriph
2008-09-05, 11:54 AM
Maybe Pompey's evil twin brother Herculaneum will appear and seek almighty vengeance!

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-05, 12:38 PM
Which power ballard do you think would fit? All Good Things (Come o an End) by Nelly Furtardo (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkDGzDBD54)would fit, but it's not really a power ballard. How likely is it that Pompeii would have a twin? I'm wondering due to there already being an evil twin character.

Theodoriph
2008-09-05, 02:20 PM
Well...I was just kidding around. But realistically, the odds of him having a twin are very very very very very minute (did I have enough very's in there?). However, if he had a twin, I'd bet he would be called Herculaneum. :smallsmile:

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-06, 02:14 PM
Why do you think he'd be called that? I can't see any real connection between the names.

Danukian
2008-09-06, 02:51 PM
Why do you think he'd be called that? I can't see any real connection between the names.

Herculaneum and Pompey both were large Roman cities destroyed by the same volcano - Mt. Vesuvius.

Studoku
2008-09-06, 06:52 PM
I meant Flesh to Stone.:smallredface:

My other theory was that Pompey is V's son. I'm going to check if my copy of origins can disprove it.

Origins can't disprove it because the timeline for V is so vague. The only problem is that V is 130 (from the board game and confirmed by Rich). Pompey says he's in his 40s. This would mean that V would have been 90 when Pompey was born and therefore not an adult.

On the other hand, Pompey's age may be wrong, as 42 for a half-elf roughly equates to mid 30's for a human- certainly too old to be at school. If Julia is 16, the half-elf equivalent would be about 22.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-07, 12:09 AM
Thanks for explaining (I'd never heard of the other volcano before). Due to V's age and Elves taking much longer to mature then humans in OotS, I don't think there's any real connection between them (I think Elves normally mature physically at the same rate as humans until their early 20s, right?).

Danukian
2008-09-07, 12:39 AM
Not in D&D, there have been several jokes in various strips poking fun at the fact that Elves don't reach adulthood for 110 years - the Human equivalent to 15.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-07, 12:44 AM
According to Races of the Wild, Elves in normal D&D reach mental and physical maturity at 25 years old, but they typically wait until much later to have children.

hamishspence
2008-09-07, 01:11 PM
and according to Elaine Cunningham, age 20 is plenty old enough for drow to be maturing. the old "50 years in diapers" joke doesn't make much sense in 3rd ed, but its never been thrown away: Zogonia makes it too:

Elf: How old are you?
Kev: I'm twenty eight.
Elf: Whoa. You are potty trained, right?
Kev: You know what...Nevermind about that stroll.
Elf: Aww, don't feel bad. My baby brother didn't potty train until he was fifty-two.