PDA

View Full Version : A Hopeful Request

Ninjalitude
2008-08-31, 03:40 PM
Heres the deal, I'm starting a campaign DM'ed by one of my friends, but before going any further, let me explain the problem, in this group you are considered unhelpful if you cant dispense enough damage to kill 3 fiendish elephants every round.

while that is a bit of an overstatement there is a high level of optimization in this group the DM expects nothing less and delivers brutally hard encounters. Im not much of an optimizer but i was wondering if some fellow playgroundiers would assist me in designing a level one melee build that is centered on movement and uses a Karusi-gamma. Originally i was thinking nine swords or psychic warrior but I'm having a hard time getting this build to do the expected amount of damage.
This campaign uses 28 point buy.
Any ideas are welcome

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-31, 03:54 PM
I'll assume you meant kusari-gama, the weighted chain with a kama blade on one end.

I'm not much of an optimizer, but you should be able to use one of the spiked chain tripper/battlefield control builds that are floating through the tubes.

Starbuck_II
2008-08-31, 04:13 PM
Heres the deal, I'm starting a campaign DM'ed by one of my friends, but before going any further, let me explain the problem, in this group you are considered unhelpful if you cant dispense enough damage to kill 3 fiendish elephants every round.

while that is a bit of an overstatement there is a high level of optimization in this group the DM expects nothing less and delivers brutally hard encounters. Im not much of an optimizer but i was wondering if some fellow playgroundiers would assist me in designing a level one melee build that is centered on movement and uses a Karusi-gamma. Originally i was thinking nine swords or psychic warrior but I'm having a hard time getting this build to do the expected amount of damage.
This campaign uses 28 point buy.
Any ideas are welcome

Hmm, Swordsage with Shadow Blade? Since a Kusari-gama is basically like a Spiked Chain ask the DM if it counts.

Than have decent Str and Dex. Since it adds Dex not in place of Str.
Note: You must be in a Shadow Hand Stance to get the bonus Dex to damage.

So assuming 14 Str and 16 Dex (I'm assuming 16 Wis since that addas to AC): you deal 1d6 + 2 Str + 3 Str minimum. So Average 8.5 damage.

Since you like Movement: I'd recommend stance Child of Shadow.

Add in a manuevers:
Burning Blade deals + 1d6 + 1 per Initiator level fire: Adds about 4.5 at level 1 (so you deal average 13 damage).
Shadow Blade Technique: Allows 2 chances to hit; if both hit adds 1d6 cold: so average you deal 12.
Clinging Shadow deals extra 1d6 so 12 average you'll deal.
Sapphire Nightmare Blade: If beat Concentrate Check versus their AC; they are flatfoot and deal +1d6 damag. So again, average 12 damage.

Really, 12 should be good enough at level 1 to kill things.

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-31, 04:44 PM
Hellfire Glaivelock (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=16640) deals a lot of damage, if you can deal with not having a kusami thingy