PDA

View Full Version : University (UK) next month?

Smoke
2008-08-31, 05:28 PM
Whose going to University In The Playground next month then hey?

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-31, 05:40 PM
Huh? You mean who's going to be attending university, or is it an event?

Smoke
2008-08-31, 05:41 PM
I mean whose starting university!

Veneficus
2008-08-31, 05:45 PM
I have had a year out of uni because i had to go and work in the world of business for as part of my course. I can't wait to go back and start my final year project :)

Come on September 29th!!!

Player_Zero
2008-08-31, 05:53 PM
Warwick. Mathematics. 29th of September.

If anyone ever visits, I'll be the guy in the pirate costume shouting randomly.

Wraithy
2008-08-31, 06:20 PM
Isn't Warwick getting a fancy new student union building?

Player_Zero
2008-08-31, 06:31 PM
Yeah, but it won't be there when I'm there. I think it's gonna' open next year. Could be wrong.

Thufir
2008-09-01, 07:06 AM
Warwick. Mathematics. 29th of September.

If anyone ever visits, I'll be the guy in the pirate costume shouting randomly.

*Starts checking train prices to Warwick*

I'm going into my 3rd year of maths at Newcastle.

Leon Stormchild
2008-09-01, 01:00 PM
Not next month, but I hope to next year.:smallbiggrin:

(I think I'm the only American in my state who wants to go to an English University)

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-01, 02:38 PM
I'm starting a Complmentary therapy course at Wolverhampton soon (I'm pleased that I've finally gotten onto a course).

Ranna
2008-09-01, 02:57 PM
I am starting my teacher training course at edge hill university, but as I am a postgrad I aint gonna be doing non of that freshers stuff!

Exachix
2008-09-01, 03:31 PM
I'm going to Aberystwyth to learn Physics (w/ Planetary and Space Physics).

Towards the end of sept.

Tamburlaine
2008-09-01, 05:14 PM
Maths at Bristol:smallsmile:

Ishmael
2008-09-01, 06:32 PM
I started school at the University of California at Berkeley just last week. It's been...interesting. An unusual mix of loneliness, fun, and boredom. Of course, I've only been here a week, and we've only had three days of actual class, so I can't really expect much.

Oh, pardon my ranting, but I really need to write my feelings down. Ignore the long diatrabe if you don't want to read about some angst-y teenage struggles.

I kind of ousted my parents out on move-in day. They wanted to help me to move-in completely, but I felt this weird urge to be independent and decided to do everything on myself. That day was pretty fun, mostly because everything was new and sparkly. But, the next two days, I found myself alone a LOT. Which, if I was at home, would have been fine--I am normally kind of a loner. But, I had this unrealistic expectation that in college I would break completely out of my shell. The first two days were mostly filled with running errands and the like, where I altered between being super-lonely and having a ridiculous amount of fun.

Then, I expected as classes began, I would meet more people and lose my depression. That didn't really work. Thankfully, I began to pull my strings and get together with people I already knew who went to the same school. They are so invaluable. I never just 'hung out' in High School, but I sort of felt like I was doing something wrong if I was alone. I felt a paralyzing fear, as if I was failing, socially, and not meeting people or having any fun.

This weekend was great, though. Some of my friends who I haven't seen in a while came up to visit and I had a blast. I ventured to San Francisco with some friends. I met new people.

I still have some concerns. I haven't yet found a group of friends who I really respond to--but, it's only the first week! Next week, classes actually begin (fully), and I'll be involved with two sports clubs as well as a bunch of other activities. I have accepted that I have more free time than I'm used to, and that my life here in college is not going to be a weird reversal of my character. I want to be myself now, not somebody I'm not really comfortable being.

I'm still homesick. I miss my mom, despite her weirdness (actually, largely because of it). I miss my dad, my brother, my house, the sense of belonging I had with everything. Back at home, I chafed against a lot of things, and was tired of living where I did. But, it was familiar--and it was home. I had my place.

But today actually felt...normal. Kind of. I don't really worry about my social life anymore, and I recognize that homesickness is natural, and that it will fade as I grow more used to things.

Ugh. I have a feeling that when I come back to my home for Thanksgiving, I'm going to want to go back to college immediately. Of course, in the interim, I have to suffer through the pain.

So yes, I have started University life.

banjo1985
2008-09-02, 03:20 AM
Currently working at Aston University, so if anyone needs to get in on a course...y'know, slip me a quick bribe or something. :smallbiggrin:

Jorkens
2008-09-02, 09:46 PM
Ishmael - don't worry. The first term or two at university can be a bit weird. It can take a while to get to know people well enough that you can just relax around them like you do with old friends or family, or even to actually find the sort of people you actually want to hang around with. Joining clubs and stuff helps a bit since it gives you a whole new bunch of people with a common interest / stuff to talk about. And it's sometimes even worth going with your second choice of activity if you get on better with the people.

But yeah, live with it, things keep on getting better. Get a phone with free weekend calls and call home as often as you want. Before you know it you'll have finished and you'll be moving on somewhere else and sad to leave all your old friends behind (happened to me, twice...)

Edit: good skills getting into Bezerkely btw.