PDA

View Full Version : Need more Banhammers

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-20, 09:20 PM
So

Just something I've noticed, only Rich (I think) has ban-powers. The boards have reached a rather impressive size at this point, and Rich doesn't really like reading them anymore.

Wouldn't it make sense to give more of the Mods ban-powers so that people slated to be banned aren't sitting around able to cause chaos for extra time until the decision is finally made? It also might help cull the surplus troll population.

I might be completely wrong in my very basis for this, if so feel free to lock this and tell me I'm a dolt.

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-20, 09:46 PM
Rich can do anything to anyone. Period. Being Admin is like being in constant GOD MODE. Moderators have lesser powers, and can do nothing to the Admin.

Rich can ban,
Mods can delete/ask Rich to ban.

Believe me, I used to be a mod of a message board.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-20, 09:48 PM
Rich can do anything to anyone. Period. Being Admin is like being in constant GOD MODE. Moderators have lesser powers, and can do nothing to the Admin.

Rich can ban,

I understand that. But admins can also give ban powers to lower level moderators. I'm suggesting that that would be perhaps a better idea, so that people don't sit on Ban-row for a week.

Steward
2006-07-20, 10:24 PM

Rich can ban,

...that's what he just said. He was suggesting that the Admin give the mods the ability to ban the trolls so it'll be more efficient.

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-21, 01:30 AM
My point is, I dont know if it is within the Admins power to grant Mods Admin powers.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-21, 01:41 AM
My point is, I dont know if it is within the Admins power to grant Mods Admin powers.

this board uses YaBB, I have seen other boards that use YaBB that have mods with Ban-ination powers, so I believe that it is possible.

Wukei
2006-07-21, 09:00 AM
Or...he can just do the thing that immediately bans someone after a certain number of warnings. I did that on one of my boards... (different system than yabb, though.)

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-21, 09:12 AM
Or...he can just do the thing that immediately bans someone after a certain number of warnings. I did that on one of my boards... (different system than yabb, though.)

He could do that, but he doesn't.

Currently only the Giant can ban people, and since he doesn't like coming to the boards/is very busy right now, the boards are left ban-less.

Wukei
2006-07-21, 09:15 AM
By the way...Ray has the ability to ban as well. He just left a certain someone to Rich himself.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-21, 09:18 AM
Really?

Then what I would have to say is "The mods need more willingness to ban"

RawBearNYC
2006-07-21, 09:23 AM
There are a significant number of innacurate statements in this thread.

In this version of yaBB, only an administrator has the power to ban.

On this message board, there are two administrators, one you just don't see very often.

There are often very good reasons things happen the way they do, we just don't always share them all.

InaVegt
2006-07-21, 09:25 AM

On this message board, there are two administrators, one you just don't see very often.

There are often very good reasons things happen the way they do, we just don't always share them all.But you have the password of the forum admin account IIRC (so that gives you the power to ban), correct me if I'm wrong

Wukei
2006-07-21, 09:28 AM
I did say Ray, not RawBear (as in, his account)...so he wasn't disproving me, Gez...

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-21, 09:28 AM

There are often very good reasons things happen the way they do, we just don't always share them all.

I must be familiar with a different version of yaBB.

I said "I think" only Rich has ban powers, I wasn't absolutely positive about it.

Uh, I'm sorry I failed to recognize the deep secret or something? As a user I can't be expected to know what I'm not told, so I just had to run with the idea that it was silly for someone to sit on "ban row" for so long.

And: I still think admins and moderators should be a bit more heavy handed with either banning or at least warning people. So I'll still keep my suggestion out there, just differently worded now that I have more information.

wolf_mage
2006-07-21, 12:52 PM
Actually, as far as I know, even though certain other moderators (including you, RawBear, right?) have the technical ability to ban, they don't have the authority.

So, yeah, that could be a problem if (to echo a 'certain someone' 's words) a _real_ troll ever makes it to these boards.

I'd have to be in agreement with Alchemistmerlin. As it stands, if someone were to go berserk, it could get ugly fast. (Of course, the established posters wouldn't have to worry, no matter how they responded, due to their immunity to warnings.)

evileeyore
2006-07-21, 01:02 PM
I'd have to be in agreement with Alchemistmerlin. As it stands, if someone were to go berserk, it could get ugly fast. (Of course, the established posters wouldn't have to worry, no matter how they responded, due to their immunity to warnings.)

What kind of nonsense is that?

Although I have no direct knowledge of any immunity or non-immunity clauses, I harbor a very deep suspiscion that your statement is entirely false.

I've trod the line a few (many) times. However I have never, ever, been warned. (That I know of or can remember. It is entirely possible such warnings came in thread after I had moved on fromt eh convesration and never saw such.)

However.... I have seen plenty of boards where mods are lenient* to the posters they are friends with. So I can't completely discount your theory.

*By lenient I mean "get away with bloody murder".

wolf_mage
2006-07-21, 01:09 PM
What kind of nonsense is that? Although I have no direct knowledge of any immunity or non-immunity clauses, I harbor a very deep suspiscion that your statement is entirely false.
There is no clause. That was sarcasm... There is however, observation. I don't mean to hijack a thread, though. Let's leave it at that.

I've trod the line a few (many) times. However I have never, ever, been warned.
That's fine. If you tread the line, you're not crossing it, and that's what having a line is for - knowing where to stop.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-21, 01:10 PM
I've crossed it a couple of times and gotten the appropriate wrist slap.

InaVegt
2006-07-21, 01:34 PM
I've crossed it once, accidentally and got a warning

wolf_mage
2006-07-21, 01:36 PM
Sigh. I honestly didn't mean to derail the conversation. Can we get back to the banhammer?

The Giant
2006-07-21, 04:25 PM
These problems are being fixed behind-the-scenes as we speak.

Expect to see more Moderators, some old Moderators leaving, and some expanded powers for existing Moderators. Also, new forums and a reorganized forum overall.

It's just taking time to get all the pieces in place.

Bookman
2006-07-21, 04:32 PM

Expect to see more Moderators, some old Moderators leaving, and some expanded powers for existing Moderators. Also, new forums and a reorganized forum overall.

Wow I response from the Giant himiself :o I can't wait to see the new forums......

Wukei
2006-07-21, 04:36 PM
It's nice to see Rich reply every once and a while.

Ray's getting to be as much of an imaginary friend as Rich is. You know that RawBear is just a pretend name for Rich, right. ^.~

WampaX
2006-07-21, 04:48 PM

At last we will reveal ourselves to the Baker . . . at last we will have revenge. ;D

NEO|Phyte
2006-07-21, 04:48 PM
:D

Bookman
2006-07-21, 04:52 PM
At last we will reveal ourselves to the Baker . . . at last we will have revenge. ;D

What? Wampa confuse me.........head meat hurt.........

Wukei
2006-07-21, 04:53 PM
(Keith Baker, Bookman...Rich's archnemesis)

Wait...Wamps...wouldn't that make us...the bad guys?

Bookman
2006-07-21, 05:00 PM

AHAHA!

Nawwwww I don't think we'd be evil. Just CN :P

WampaX
2006-07-21, 05:13 PM

Giants, Wampas, Orcs, Bond Villains, Were-Otters. We are decidedly of the evil bent 'round these parts. ;)

LadyGlutter
2006-07-21, 05:15 PM
CN does not mean not the bad guys. It just means you go to Arkham instead of prison or the grave. ;)

edit: No, before anyone even starts it, I don't think that CN=crazy necessarily, and that all those people in Arkham aren't evil. It was a joke. J.O.K.E. No alignment debates! :D

Wukei
2006-07-21, 05:16 PM
True....but I always heard that Baker was the evil one...of course, that's how the Jedi were portrayed in the first 3 movies...evil people that brought about their own rule...

Maybe a neutral party at best...

So Baker and Burlew are about equal when it comes down to how evil they are.

WampaX
2006-07-21, 05:26 PM
True....but I always heard that Baker was the evil one...of course, that's how the Jedi were portrayed in the first 3 movies...evil people that brought about their own rule...

Maybe a neutral party at best...

So Baker and Burlew are about equal when it comes down to how evil they are.

Evil can fight amongst itself just as good can.

And anyway, wasn't the universe a much more interesting place under the rule of the Emperor . . . I mean in terms of the films. Thus, my paraphrasing of Maul's line. And thus Duel of the Fates should be playing through your head as the changes to the website take place. (that was the plan, anyway)

InaVegt
2006-07-21, 05:27 PM
But baker is surely chaotic aligned, a war like on the lower planes perhaps of chaos against law?

Edit: wrong alignment

Wukei
2006-07-21, 05:28 PM
No, Gez! Don't incite the frog and the winged square to pop up!

InaVegt
2006-07-21, 05:31 PM
No, Gez! Don't incite the frog and the winged square to pop up!
No, we need some slaadi, and keith can gather his modrons

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-07-21, 09:31 PM
Hmm... New Forums?

Sounds fun.

:D

BelkarsDagger
2006-07-21, 11:05 PM
Hu-fricking-zzah! (c)

New Forums... I think I smell a Town Forum brewing.

Flabbicus
2006-07-22, 12:08 AM
Would this result in us remaking our profiles, deleting old threads, etc. ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have no idea how changing Forums or message boards work.

*Hugs Orange Zergling*

Jack Squat
2006-07-23, 08:47 PM
wait, is this the long awaited upgrade to YABB 2.1 (or whatever the version you were looking at is)?

I'm with Rilik on this one though, it seems kind of stupid, but would we have to go through and re-create our profiles or are they going to be transferred?

NEO|Phyte
2006-07-24, 12:32 AM
Unless there are MAJOR complications, I don't think that an upgrade will wipe anything, as long as the new forum can read the databases (which it should, as its just a newer version of the same thing)

RawBearNYC
2006-07-24, 01:20 AM
Rich is talking about a reorganization of the existing message boards, not a software upgrade. No changes to the data stores will be made, except in, potentially, moving threads to new categories that will be added.

Charity
2006-07-24, 07:22 AM
Hey the Giant said some of the Mods are leaving
*sniff*
who's on their way?
Or am I trying to pre-empt the big announcement?
*sniff*

Corylus
2006-07-24, 08:45 AM
Seems to me that having more mods, particularly additonal impartial ones, with the ability to use their mod powers is a good idea.

ed
2006-07-24, 08:54 AM
i think now that the cat's out of the bag re: who does/doesn't have ban powers, i think it makes sense that the staff of the site are reluctant to disclose precisely who has what authority/powers.

for the mods who are reading, i'd be curious to know if there's a timetable for when the changes will be implemented.

ed

WampaX
2006-07-24, 09:52 AM
i think now that the cat's out of the bag re: who does/doesn't have ban powers, i think it makes sense that the staff of the site are reluctant to disclose precisely who has what authority/powers.

for the mods who are reading, i'd be curious to know if there's a timetable for when the changes will be implemented.

ed

I wouldn't look for major site changes to happen until closer to Gen*Con, either before or after. Minor changes will probably begin cropping up leading up to then.

[rattle rattle] Signs are hazzy as to when this will begin. But [rattle rattle] . . . Signs point to yes that a year of caviar dreams and champagne wishes are about to come true.

WampaX
2006-07-26, 03:55 PM
A little adendum to my Magic 8-Ball predictions above.

The Gaming-d20 board will soon be "peachless."
Figured that might make a few of you happy. ;D

Midnight Son
2006-07-26, 05:52 PM

Getting rid of the bad apples?

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-26, 09:41 PM

This can either mean "Yay new forum for creation and developement"

or "Booo moderators pussing out under the pressure from the anti-peach fanatics" :P

I hope the moderators choose well their path.

TinSoldier
2006-07-27, 09:49 PM
I see a HUGE new list of moderators in the Comics Forum. Too bad I'm not one :'(...

Pop Goes the Weasel
2006-08-09, 05:34 PM
Medesha (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=viewprofile;username=Med esha) is the other admin, right?

RawBearNYC
2006-08-09, 06:51 PM
medesha is NOT a moderator, However, she is a contributor to the site, look for "Amber E. Scott" over in that sidebar to the left. And then bow to her greatness.