PDA

View Full Version : The Proper PrC

Staven
2008-08-31, 09:27 PM
Ok, so our secondary DM is doing a low powered campaign set in the dark ages, and actually asked me not to use the forums on this issue, but I'm going to use them for a very simple and easy request: i need to find a PrC for a rogue I'm designing never to be seen, never even enter combat, instead just sneak around, steal things, and never get hit (or at least try not to :smallwink:). The obvious choice would be thief acrobat, but after looking at it, it seems too focused on combat. What's a good PrC that would be good just for espionage? Note that this is western-themed, so no ninjas. I just need suggestions, nothing too in depth. Any ideas?

Prometheus
2008-08-31, 09:51 PM
Shadowdancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/shadowdancer.htm) would be my recommendation. They can hide in shadows and Shadow Jump. The latter of which is nice for getting into vaults and such. They also get to summon a Shade which is pretty useless except that it scouts and that it guarantees you always have a flanking buddy, should you need it. The only downside is that some of the Rogue abilities (evasion, uncanny dodge) many be redundant depending on what level you are and when you get into it. Maybe your DM will replace it with something nicer, but probably not.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-31, 09:58 PM
Changeling Rogue Variant using the Feat Rogue Variant instead of the Sneak Attack Rogue with the Tome of Magic +1 LA Dark template particularly if you can take it as a +0 LA Planetouched Dark creature or the +2 LA Shadow creature template with either the Chameleon or the Master Spy PRC.

Sinfire Titan
2008-08-31, 10:17 PM
Shadowdancer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/shadowdancer.htm) would be my recommendation. They can hide in shadows and Shadow Jump. The latter of which is nice for getting into vaults and such. They also get to summon a Shade which is pretty useless except that it scouts and that it guarantees you always have a flanking buddy, should you need it. The only downside is that some of the Rogue abilities (evasion, uncanny dodge) many be redundant depending on what level you are and when you get into it. Maybe your DM will replace it with something nicer, but probably not.

Shadowdancer is, at best, a two-level prestige class. Dark Template is vastly superior to it, as it can be obtained by a magic item.

Ranis
2008-08-31, 10:17 PM
Try Exemplar; you get really really really really good at doing one thing.

Animefunkmaster
2008-08-31, 10:24 PM
Shadowdancer is, at best, a two-level prestige class. Dark Template is vastly superior to it, as it can be obtained by a magic item.

There is a difference between Hide in plain sight EX and SU. The Shdow Dancer's Hide in plaint sight is superior becuase you don't need cover or concealment to hide (unlike the dark template).

. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind.
With UMD (invisibility, dimension door), feat rogue should be able to to do everything you would like to. Changling Feat Rogue 18/Spell Thief 2 (detect magic at will is good against magical traps), if you would like to dip into shadow dancer you should only take 2 levels.

Sinfire Titan
2008-08-31, 10:30 PM
There is a difference between Hide in plain sight EX and SU. The Shdow Dancer's Hide in plaint sight is superior becuase you don't need cover or concealment to hide (unlike the dark template).

With UMD (invisibility, dimension door), feat rogue should be able to to do everything you would like to. Changling Feat Rogue 18/Spell Thief 2 (detect magic at will is good against magical traps), if you would like to dip into shadow dancer you should only take 2 levels.

Considering that Concealment can be obtained with Shape Soulmeld, I'd say Shadowdancer is obsolete.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-31, 10:31 PM

They each have benefits depending on the circumstances (AMFs):

Dark creature - Hide in Plain Sight (EX): Use the Hide skill even while being observed (except in natural daylight, the area of a daylight spell or a similar effect).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/shadowdancer.htm
Hide in Plain Sight (Su)
A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

Person_Man
2008-08-31, 10:40 PM
All you really need Hide in Plain Site and Darkstalker (Lords of Madness). There are a bunch of ways to get HiPS - here's my best method (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57352). If you want to be ridiculous, you can combine it with Setting Sun Ninja from Tome of Battle for a crazy offensive combo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4666858&postcount=5).

Another method is to use a mole build. Get a burrow speed and blindsense. No one can target you because they don't have line of site. Bunch of different ways to pull this off.

But honestly, I think you should just stick with strait Rogue. Once you've decided to play an ultra-stealth build, you'll rarely be in danger.

Chronos
2008-09-01, 01:59 AM
The link in my sig has some suggestions.

With UMD (invisibility, dimension door), feat rogue should be able to to do everything you would like to.The trouble with the feat rogue variant is that you're limited to the fighter list for the feats, and very few of those are particularly useful outside of combat.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-09-01, 02:37 AM
The link in my sig has some suggestions.

The trouble with the feat rogue variant is that you're limited to the fighter list for the feats, and very few of those are particularly useful outside of combat.

Combat Reflexes, Dodge and Mobility would qualify him for a 2 level dip into Shadow Dancer after a 2 level dip into something like the Chameleon PRC which would be nice without a template option.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/shadowdancer.htm