PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu scenarios

Lycan 01
2008-08-31, 11:23 PM
WARNING: IF YOU ARE PLAYING OR PLAN ON PLAYING IN MY UPCOMING CALL OF CTHULHU PBP GAME, PLEASE CEASE READING NOW.

So yeah, I'm hosting a pbp CoC game here on the forum, but I am a bit... stumped.

I want to run something good. But I only have a few choices. There are the 4 stories in the rulebook, but (1) the players might have already played them before and (2) I kinda goofed and let somebody borrow said rulebook for the week. I could make something up, but I'm worried my homemade stuff might now meet their expectations. That, or they'll be killed off before they get to the plot I've put my heart and soul into making. Plus, my friend has the rulebook, which has all the enemy stats and spells I need. >.< I could always look up a scenario, but I dunno where to look... Searching for stuff on the internet rarely works well for me.

So yeah... I'm torn between 3 ideas.

1: One of the stories from the rulebook. I ran this in real life yesterday for my friends, and it went very well. (Remind me to tell the story later... if anyone cares. Best instance of friendly fire ever...) To do this, I just need somebody to PM me the stats for a few monsters and items from the rulebook. Everything else I can handle myself...

2: A custom-made story. Dunno how well this'll turn out... The players are hired to investigate the dissappearance of a Miskatonic University student. He was last seen heading to the local town of Innsmouth to get information for his research paper on the fishing business there. He has not been heard from since. There are a lot of ways this can go...

The student is being held hostage by the Order of Dagon. He's tucked away in the church, awaiting execution. He is to be sacrificed a few miles off the coast near Devil's Reef, as an offering to Dagon, Lord of the Deep Ones. His death will be at Midnight on June 23, 1923. The investigators are due to arrive June 22, around mid-day.

The investigators can get info from the college about the town, and in the town they can try to get info on the missing man. Only a few people will offer them information. Very few will give them good information. The majority of the townsfolk will just ignore them, and maybe even grow hostile. The talk of the town is that the lad skipped town after angering a few local fishermen. The truth is much more grim...

Should the investigators stay the night at the local in, they'll be treated to a recreation of the "inn-room chase scene" from the original Lovecraft tale "The Shadow Over Innsmouth." If they piss off enough people, they may actually get chased from the town. Gunplay is highly discouraged; firearms use will only attract more enemies, and maybe even cause some to seek out their own weapons.

If the players discover the poor lad's location, they can attempt to storm the (heavily barricaded and well defended) Temple of Dagon. Or, they can try to intercept the lad and his guards as they lead him to the docks. Or perhaps they can hijack a boat and stop the sacrifice. Each option has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Enemies may vary. Saving the lad during the day will have them facing a large number of hybrid humans, armed with anything from wrenches to meat cleavers, but mostly just their bare hands. If they investigators use their guns too much, the hybirds might go seek their own firearms to use. Attempting to save the student during the day has the players facing half as many hybrids, but several Deep Ones will also show up to play. Going to Devil's Reef will have them up against a few well-armed hybrids, a bunch of Deep Ones... and maybe even Dagon himself.

Rewards are... well... life. And, should the student survive, his rich dad will pay them for their troubles. Not to mention Mythos points for the survivors...

To do this, I just need somebody to PM me the stats for Deep Ones and Dagon, as well as a link to the weapons table/list.

3: A storyline found on the internet. Dunno where to get one, or where to start...

Personally, I like number 2. But I have my doubts... *shrug*

Lycan 01
2008-09-01, 06:31 PM
Okay, fine then. Option 2 it is. Would somebody at least be nice enough to send me the stats for a few weapons and monsters I need?

allonym
2008-09-01, 07:41 PM
I have a total of 13 CoC books, what do you need? I also have the second edition Escape From Innsmouth book, which I really, really recommend you get if you run adventures in Innsmouth, it's excellent.

Especially the idea of someone held hostage awaiting sacrifice in Devil's Reef, this is extremely similar to the premise of the scenario Escape From Innsmouth, which has some excellent adrenaline-pumping escape rules. It does pretty much rule out ever coming back to Innsmouth peacefully, however.

There are some excellent places to find story seeds and scenarios online, I recommend Tales of Terror (http://www.talesofterror.net/) and Yog-Sothoth (http://www.yog-sothoth.com/index.php).

If you're wondering, I have the core rulebook, Malleus Monstrorum (monster manual, hundreds of gods listed in it), the Innsmouth, Dunwich, Arkham, Kingsport, Miskatonic University, New York and Kenya sourcebooks, the campaign Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, the modern-day campaign Unseen Masters, the modern-day campaign and sourcebook Ramsey Campbell's Goatswood (And Less Pleasant Places), and the collection of adventures Last Rites.

Kami2awa
2008-09-02, 02:52 PM
This thread is a good source of ideas:

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6057

(Titled 101 Call of Cthulhu adventure hooks, it's got over 250 now. www.yog-sothoth.com also has downloadable scenarios, resources etc. etc.)

This site is also really good:

http://www.talesofterror.net/

Calinero
2008-09-25, 08:33 PM
Although I haven't played CoC before, that sounds like an interesting story. Gotta love non cooperative NPCs. However, remember to make them interesting: one of the most fun sessions I ever played consisted of me and a friend trying to get information out of a noncooperative but fascinating butler. Don't make them all the same, or the players will find the town boring.

Lycan 01
2008-09-25, 09:46 PM
The scenario has already started here on the forums. Its going quite well, actually... ^_^