PDA

View Full Version : Wild Talent, what's the point?

bibliophile
2008-08-31, 11:25 PM
The feat Wild Talent, from LoM is copied here verbatim:

Wild Talent

Your latent power of psionics flares to life, conferring upon you the designation of a psionic charecter. As a psionic charecter, you gain a reserve of 2 power points and can take psionic feats, metapsionic feats, and psionic item creation feats. You do not, however, gain the ability to manifest powers simply by virtue of having this feat.

If you cannot actually use those power points or potenial feats, this seems like a pointless feat. Is it good for something?

revolver kobold
2008-08-31, 11:30 PM
It gives you access to Psionic Shot, which I've taken for my Warlock.

Also, depending on how your DM rules psionics and magic, there are those nifty feats that allow you to expend your concentration to get +8 to overcome spell resistance, which would come in handy for any wizard.

Rei_Jin
2008-08-31, 11:31 PM
There are some feats that require you to have power points to be able to take them, even if they can't be used. To be honest though, the feat is more of a carry over from 2nd edition, where only characters who managed to roll well enough on the appropriate check could actually use psionics. I wouldn't be suprised if they originally considered restricting psionics to races that have power points when they were making 3rd edition, and forgot to make the feat useful when they changed their mind.

Orzel
2008-08-31, 11:33 PM
It's a feat for nonpsionic classses.

You need power points to gain psionic focus and uses certian psionic feats.

Kyeudo
2008-08-31, 11:35 PM
The feat Wild Talent, from LoM is copied here verbatim:

Wild Talent

Your latent power of psionics flares to life, conferring upon you the designation of a psionic charecter. As a psionic charecter, you gain a reserve of 2 power points and can take psionic feats, metapsionic feats, and psionic item creation feats. You do not, however, gain the ability to manifest powers simply by virtue of having this feat.

If you cannot actually use those power points or potenial feats, this seems like a pointless feat. Is it good for something?

Having a power point reserve is a prerequisite for taking a psionic feat. If you don't get those points from your race or class, Wild Talent lets you take those feats. I've seen it on a good deal of Warlocks.

Jack_Simth
2008-08-31, 11:38 PM
It's a feat for nonpsionic classses.

You need power points to gain psionic focus and uses certian psionic feats.
Don't forget it's use as a useless prerequisite for PrC's.

But yeah - mostly, it gives nonpsionic classess access to Psionic feats such as Deep Impact, Up the Walls, and so on.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-31, 11:53 PM
So it's a feat that give you access to other feats. Brilliant. Why not make a feat that lets you take racial feats. Like this idiotic idea I just cooked up?

Elf-Touched [General]
An elf sneezed on you once.
Prerequisite: Charisma 12+
Benefit: You have developed a hint of the elven ways, to the point where you are now effectively elven-blooded. As a elven-blooded character, you are now considered an elf for effects related to race, & can take elven racial feats. You do not, however, become an elf or a half-elf.
Normal: You can only qualify for racial feats that belong to your own race.

Dragonmuncher
2008-09-01, 12:01 AM
Isn't there a feat that gives you access to a first level power, and a couple of power points, or something to that extent? Hidden Talent, maybe? I'm not sure.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-09-01, 12:11 AM
There's a different version of Wild Talent in the Complete Psionic, which grants a minor Psi-Like Ability depending on which of the six houses you belong to. I've always found Wild Talent to be quite useless, and a wasted feat for a PrC prerequisite right up there with Combat Casting.

I played a Monk/Psionic Fist grappler with a bunch of Aberrant feats from Lords of Madness, and I substituted Warped Mind for Wild Talent as a prerequisite. It does the same thing both mechanically and in flavor, and suited the character much better than Wild Talent.

Starsinger
2008-09-01, 12:13 AM
Psionic Talent also allows say, a Soulknife to take Elocator or Pyrokineticist.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-09-01, 12:14 AM
Hidden Talent is a better feat. 2 PP and a choice of Power nice with an Educated Wilder Variant.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-01, 01:07 AM
Off-Topic: The problem with psionically-talented people is that they get too cerebral to appreciate a good joke. :smallsigh:

Starbuck_II
2008-09-01, 06:51 AM
Off-Topic: The problem with psionically-talented people is that they get too cerebral to appreciate a good joke. :smallsigh:

I see what you did there.

Hidden Talent is a good feat. If I ever play a Soulknife I ask to replace my Wild with Hidden. The soulknife needs the powerup anyway.

Ionizer
2008-09-01, 09:19 AM
So it's a feat that give you access to other feats. Brilliant. Why not make a feat that lets you take racial feats. Like this idiotic idea I just cooked up?

Elf-Touched [General]
An elf sneezed on you once.
Prerequisite: Charisma 12+
Benefit: You have developed a hint of the elven ways, to the point where you are now effectively elven-blooded. As a elven-blooded character, you are now considered an elf for effects related to race, & can take elven racial feats. You do not, however, become an elf or a half-elf.
Normal: You can only qualify for racial feats that belong to your own race.

LOL at red.