PDA

View Full Version : What is the fuss over V's gender?

celestialkin
2008-09-01, 12:56 AM
To be honest, the whole thing seems extremely silly in my opinion. Why? Because there is actually no answer to this question.

My reasoning to why there is no answer to all this arguing is broken into two parts:

A)
There is no answer to this question until the author of the fictional work/story/comic/whatever decides on one, draws it up, and publishes it. Even if the author has an idea/decision in mind right now, he/she can change it at any point between now and when (or if) he/she decides to make it official.

Remember that this fictional world is mot real, and therefore there is no V outside the author's imagination.

B)
It seems to me that V's gender being a mystery is the point. I might still be new to this comic series, but it seems clear to me that this issue is meant to be a parody of elves all (including males) being "girly" in D&D and other high fantasy games. I believe this is similar to the dwarf's role as being a parody of dwarves in D&D and high fantasy.

Also:
In the "You don't know V's gender!" thread the OP said something about the author officially saying that he will never state Vs gender. If this is the case, then the point is completely moot. There is not supposed to be an answer, even when the series ends, because that is the point! (Can someone please list the trope this is called? Maybe the tvtrope article? I can't recall it at the moment.)

Corrupted One
2008-09-01, 01:43 AM
To be honest, the whole thing seems extremely silly in my opinion. Why? Because there is actually no answer to this question.

My reasoning to why there is no answer to all this arguing is broken into two parts:

A)
There is no answer to this question until the author of the fictional work/story/comic/whatever decides on one, draws it up, and publishes it. Even if the author has an idea/decision in mind right now, he/she can change it at any point between now and when (or if) he/she decides to make it official.

Remember that this fictional world is mot real, and therefore there is no V outside the author's imagination.

B)
It seems to me that V's gender being a mystery is the point. I might still be new to this comic series, but it seems clear to me that this issue is meant to be a parody of elves all (including males) being "girly" in D&D and other high fantasy games. I believe this is similar to the dwarf's role as being a parody of dwarves in D&D and high fantasy.

Also:
In the "You don't know V's gender!" thread the OP said something about the author officially saying that he will never state Vs gender. If this is the case, then the point is completely moot. There is not supposed to be an answer, even when the series ends, because that is the point! (Can someone please list the trope this is called? Maybe the tvtrope article? I can't recall it at the moment.)

The debate over V's gender is proubably never going to end ( unless Rich explicitly states it). Human curiosity and an urge to prove you are right are all the necessary motivation for a heated debate spanning several decades. Humans :smallyuk:

Ghastly Epigram
2008-09-01, 01:49 AM
But discussing things is the entire point of having a forum. If we only discussed things that had been answered, then...well, there would be a whole lot less to discuss now wouldn't there? Debating on mysteries like this is fine and many people enjoy doing it, so why shouldn't they? Of course, we all realize our opinion is not the fact of the matter and cannot yet be definitively proven, but it is still our view, and there is no harm in debating such things.

But of course, it is just a bunch of lines and squiggles on a computer screen anyway, so why are talking about it at all? :smallwink:

Because really, following this line of thinking to its logical conclusion leads to a LOT of things we talk about being pointless. And we do not want that, because debates are fun! :smallcool:

blackspeeker
2008-09-01, 01:51 AM
The debate over V's gender is proubably never going to end ( unless Rich explicitly states it).

And even then it wont end.

Ghastly Epigram
2008-09-01, 01:53 AM
And even then it wont end.

Belkar is CHAOTIC GOOD DAMNIT and NOTHING ANYONE says will convince me otherwise!!!!

Corrupted One
2008-09-01, 01:58 AM
Belkar is CHAOTIC GOOD DAMNIT and NOTHING ANYONE says will convince me otherwise!!!!

Unless you were on this when they said it:

http://www.wanttoknow.info/mindcontrol10pg

Laurentio II
2008-09-01, 02:29 AM
I agree. There is really nothing more on this subject, that the sheer immature pleasure to feel himself right on a controverse issue. Very immature. And Vaarsavius is male, anyway. I tell you. Take that!

Thant
2008-09-01, 04:24 AM
Quote:
A)

---

I think that far more important question is - to which elf race V-(wo)man belongs or originates from? Who can say that s/he is simply a moon/wood/sun/wild/any standard d&d elf? What if he belongs to ?????? elves who have evolved in having more than 2 (three? four?) sexes? Or something even crazier? If I remember correctly, there's already a running theory that Haley is an Aasimar. Furthermore, the "V's pair" from Linear Guild (the late mr. Zz'ditri) was a drow, which is nothing but a screaming pointer in this direction. Why would V be any different from the two? I dunno if someone mentioned this before, but it just occurred to me when I was rereading the last strip and suddenly focused myself on hir hair...I mean - a common elf, with purple hair? Things are never that simple, not in OotS. No way, no how.

Threeshades
2008-09-01, 05:03 AM
The point of the V's gender discussions. It's become more like a tradition on these forums than actual discussions. Every now and then somebody picks out an oots issue and points out something completely inane about a little detail in it, trying to make it an argument for V's gender. Then come the nonbelievers and tell them the opposite, then come the people who point at him how this is not an argument at all and that V has still no defined gender.

If I didnt know exactly that V originally wasnt planned to be ambiguously gendered I'd say his nickname ("V" that is) refers to V for Vendetta, as the main character there is also called V. In this V's case it's his face that nobody knows (not even the reader). And the point about it is that V's face isn't important, he's more like an idea. And you could say V for Vaarsuvius is the same just instead of the face, its about V's bits. V's the personification of the idea that is Elves being so androgenous.
But since Rich said already that V wasnt planned to be genderless I can declare my own pretty little theory void.

By the way i made an avatar of this:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Tobi-Sean/VforVaarsuvius2.png

(this is available in my home of orphaned avatars)

Kaytara
2008-09-01, 08:12 AM

That avatar is so awesome it hurts. O.O

I'd even take it... Except I've been planning to use a piece of my own fanart as an avatar....

Oh, and back on topic... Yes, Vaarsuvius is a character whose gender is not a relevant trait that ties into vir personality in any way. For all intents and purposes - except the, you know, the practical ones - Vaarsuvius is genderless and will always remain so.

d'Bwobsling
2008-09-01, 11:31 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooo!
Not another of these threads:smalleek:

AceOfFools
2008-09-01, 12:54 PM
My minuscule, anecdotal knowledge I have of human psychology includes the following:

Humans really like knowing what gender other humans are. It's part of what some people find so freaky about trangenders/crossdressers.

There's been at least one experiment where test subjects are shown a baby and asked to describe it to a group that repeatedly broke down into arguing about the gender of the child (damned if I know what the point was).

So not knowing bothers people. And this is a forum for discussing the comic, so people come asking about it, which lead to debate, and since this is the internet it became a meme.

F-ing internet.

Also, Rich's statement of intent not to reveal the gender. (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10)

Totally Guy
2008-09-01, 03:48 PM
I call the situation schrodingers cat only with naughty bits instead of a cat.

Linkavitch
2008-09-01, 07:25 PM
It's because everybody has a different opinion, and they wish to make it known.

Sonar009
2008-09-02, 09:03 AM
May I claim that avatar? Please?