PDA

View Full Version : [Class] The Veiled Champion: Boo.

Icewalker
2008-09-01, 01:26 AM
A few notes: I generally prefer a more malleable system for paladin alignment. This isn't necessary, assuming you allow your paladins to strike unsuspecting foes, assuming they are evil. My example however is Neutral Good, because I can believe a non-lawful Veiled Champion who would still be a paladin.

[hr]
“Though we strike at you from the shadows, do not think that we lack the courage to stand in the light.”
-Zeratul, Veiled Champion

Veiled Champion
Most paragons of justice are shining figures, standing as heroes in the public eye, fighting for justice by defeating those who openly threaten anything they consider good. However, there are other great knights of good who are different. Through the arts of stealth, they see much more of the underworld than any public hero ever could. They strike at evil from the shadows, battling in the darkness to protect the light. These are the Veiled Champions, masters of silence and shadow, defending the innocent whether the public is aware of it or not.

Most Veiled Champions are Paladins or occasionally clerics, who make Hide and Move Silently class skills through the use of feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89664). Sometimes a rogue will shift to the path of the crusader, train quickly as a paladin or cleric, then move into Veiled Champion.

Veiled Champions have the following game statistics:
Abilities: Veiled Champions use Dexterity most for their hiding, while they use Charisma for abilities. Strength is also important for simple combat, and Constitution is also useful for this.
Alignment: Any Good.
Hit dice: d10

Prerequisites:
BAB +5 or higher
Hide, 8+ ranks
Move Silently, 8+ ranks
The ability to cast some form of Detect evil, as either an ability or as a spell.

Class Skills 4 + int modifier
Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Knowledge (any), Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, and Sense Motive.

NAME OF CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Smite Evil 1/day, Silence Armor|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3||+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Aura of Twilight|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Suppress Presence (Aura)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4||-

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Suppress Presence (Sound)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5||-

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Suppress Presence (Sight)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6||-

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Suppress Presence (Physical)|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Veiled Champions gain no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Smite Evil: Once per day, a Veiled Champion may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to his attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Veiled Champion level. If the Veiled Champion accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day.

Smite Evil damage bonus and uses per day stack with the Paladin ability of the same name.

Silence Armor: Veiled Champions are masters of moving quietly despite heavy armor. The armor check penalty for the Hide and Move Silently skills is reduced by 1 per Veiled Champion level.

Suppress Presence: The Veiled Champion is centered entirely on being undetected. At 4th level a Veiled Champion can suppress any and all auras of themselves or objects on themselves, such as the magic emanating from items in their possession or the Paladin’s Aura of Good, making it undetectable.

At 6th level, a Veiled Champion can suppress all sounds coming from them and their possessions, allowing them to move in complete silence.

At 8th level, a Veiled Champion can use this ability to make themselves completely invisible, as the spell Greater Invisibility.

At 10th level, a Veiled Champion can use this ability to veil their very physical form from interaction. They function as ethereal, except that they do not interact with other ethereal beings, and they are not affected by force affects and abjurations, as ethereal creatures are. Their mind can still be assaulted with psionics and mind-affecting spells and abilities, if the attacker has a method of locating the Veiled Champion.

All forms of the Suppress Presence ability can be enabled at will as a free action, and disabled at will for no action.

Aura of Twilight: At 3rd level, shadows and nothingness flashes over the Veiled Champion, making it hard to truly discern their location. A Veiled Champion always has full concealment, and each ally within 10 feet gains partial concealment. This can be suppressed or reactivated as a free action,

This ability functions while the Veiled Champion is conscious, but not if he is unconscious or dead.

Aura of Twilight is not suppressed by the Suppress Presence (Aura) ability of the Veiled Champion.

[hr]
Sample Veiled Champion: Ultraze, The People’s Fury

Medium Humanoid
Paladin 5 / Veiled Champion 6
Hit Dice: 11d10+20 (85)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 24 (+10 armor, +1 dex, +3 shield), touch 11, flat-footed 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+13
Attack: Holy Longsword +14 (1d8+1d6+2, +2d6 against evil. Damage is nonlethal)
Full Attack: Holy Longsword +14/+9/+4 (1d8+1d6+2, +2d6 against evil. Damage is nonlethal)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Smite Evil 3/day, Detect Evil, Lay on Hands, Suppress Presence (Aura, Sound)
Special Qualities: Aura of Good, Aura of Courage, Aura of Twilight, Divine Health, Spell Resistance 13
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +12
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +17, Move Silently +17, Diplomacy +17, Ride +15
Feats: Practiced Skill (Hide), Practiced Skill (Move Silently), Blind-Fight, Power Attack
Alignment: Neutral Good
Possessions: +2 Spell Resistance Full Plate, +1 Merciful Holy Longsword, +1 Large Steel Shield, Cloak of Charisma +2.

Spells: 1st level: Bless, Cure Light Wounds
2nd level: Zone of Truth

[hr]
Plot Hook
There is a small town, notoriously famous for it's crime level being almost zero, proudly showing no murders in the entire history of the town. One day, a man is found in the street with a knife in his back. Nobody has ever seen him before, which is unusual, as the town is small and there are almost no travelers. The body is swathed in a black cloak and hood, with his only possessions being matching finely crafted full plate armor, long sword, and shield.

The crime level in the town immediately skyrockets within a few days, robberies and muggings happening in the streets of the town. There is far more crime than can be coped with by the inexperienced and small town guard, and the safe wealthy society begins to quickly unravel.

[hr]
Inspired by nothing more than that quote from Zeratul.

I've been inspired to actually do more homebrew more regularly...I have done nothing for quite a while, which I find somewhat disappointing myself. I've been working on larger projects, as well as just feeling somewhat apathetic about spending my limited time. Vorpal Tribble reinspired me by just making such awesome stuff so constantly, as he seems to have really picked up the pace recently. So I'm going to slow down on my bigger dnd projects and start posting some of the many ideas I've come up with. Here's the first.

Cookie to anyone who figures out what Ultraze is.

Icewalker
2008-09-02, 07:34 PM
Come now, 2nd page, 80 views, and no posts? I thought this was awesome. Or at least unusual.