PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3

JMobius
2008-09-01, 02:12 AM
http://kotaku.com/5043549/five-new-fallout-3-gameplay-videos

[NSFW, a fair bit of gore and language]

Just saw these. I, for my part, am quite tickled. Probably the neatest game I've see all year.

Sneak
2008-09-01, 02:15 AM
Well, there is already a thread on the Fallout series here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89418) This include Fallout 3.

But...what the heck. This is what I have to say about F3.

As for F3...I, for one, am actually looking forward to it. Yes, it's not going to be exactly the same, but honestly...I don't think "exactly the same" would even really be possible to market successfully except to hardcore Fallout fans, and, well, the series has to grow. The same game would not be fun to play.

Honestly, I admire Bethesda. It takes guts to take on a series with a fanbase like Fallout's. And, from what I've seen of the game, it actually seems good. And according to several sources, it IS good.

Now, I haven't played Morrowind or Oblivion, but I have heard that Oblivion had its shortcomings. In an interview that I watched today about F3 with the head of Bethesda, they recognized that they made mistakes with Oblivion, and think that they have corrected them. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, at least until I play the game.

As far as the combat system and "OMG WHAT IS THIS IS THIS AN FPS WHERE THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN RPG I WANT MY RPG WAAAAH" goes, well, I'm actually in favor of the new combat system. Honestly, one of the few things that I dislike about Fallout 2 is the combat system. The new combat system seems to work well enough, and VATS is always there if you want it. To me, real-time combat will just enhance the immersion experience (as will the INCREDIBLE graphics) while the old combat system was like a kick in the head to immersion. The one thing I will say is that VATS seems to be overly powerful in the gameplay videos, but I have read from another source that it's not actually as powerful as it seems, so I'm willing to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt on this count as well. I'm also not a fan of first-person mode, but that's just why I will be playing F3 in third person.

So in the end, I'm looking forward to Fallout 3. Sure, maybe I'm being a little optimistic...but then if it IS as good as I think it will be, I can say "I told ya so" to all the naysayers (:smalltongue:), and, well, if it isn't, I can just shrug and say "oh well." Because really, I think there's no danger of it being a bad game, there's only the danger of it not meeting Fallout fans' expectations.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-01, 02:20 AM
I like how they allow you to change your apperance (and presumably class?) right before you exit the vault. Reminds me of Oblivion, when you exit the sewers. This would allow you to save the game at that point, then jsut load it whenever you wanted a different styled character, but didn't want to go through the introduction again.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-09-01, 03:17 AM
*drool*

*drool*

*drool*

Waaa... I think I'm in love.. oh, damn. That means I'm gonna have to either buy myself a new PC, or manage to fix my video card.. :smallfrown:

And buy Fallout 3... arg...

Morty
2008-09-01, 10:37 AM
Meh. Everything I've seen about Fallout 3 so far has left me throughly unimpressed. So, yeah, combat doesn't look bad. But guess what? Fallout isn't about combat, and there are tons of good FPSs around. And after seeing Oblivion, I simply don't trust Bethesda to make a good RPG. But then, I guess I'm a cranky old-school gamer out of touch with next-gen gaming.

JMobius
2008-09-01, 11:19 AM
Whoops... I thought there was another thread around, but I skimmed for it and somehow missed it in my lack of sleep. Sorry!